Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Tuesday 26th April 2016

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Nanks said:

Sorry but disagree with that. The player and the player only should get punished. 

Dan, its the second time this has happened at Poltair, witnessed by women & children, it is a very serious offence, he is a referee doing his job ( now whether he was having a good game or bad he still has a family to return home to)

The club must take full responsibility as it was on their land, playing for the football club.

Will be interesting what the outcome will be for both player/club and all should take note for future reference in order to try stop this happening again (if possible)?

Normally if a player receives a straight Red then it's usually £50 fine and 3 game ban. No action taken against club.

If 6 cautions are picked up in a game then the club receive a further £160 fine from FA for failure to control players as well as the cautions to be paid.

Above are only some examples of fines handed out by FA but this incident is far more severe as its after the original punishment given by the match official.

If this incident involved 2 players then I guess we can saftly say the punishment wouldn't be as harsh as what it would be when a match official is involved.

Will the FA view this as separate incident and only punish the individual or charge the club for failure to control their player?

Either way someone is in hot water and not a situation that I would wish on any club!

9 hours ago, Weasel Shwirk said:

Dont put words into ones mouth, hes lost his head, I'm sure he will regret it, and he shall be banned. I have seen comments saying he should never play again which I think are ridiculous

You are talking complete CRAP

Disappointing from Marcus,he will obviously be very regretful about his actions. Its obviously a very serious matter. Yes he is representing St Austell and they will deal with this issue internally, any suggestion of a club deduction in points for this would be in my opinion totally unjust. 

St Austell have come along way in a few years and will overcome this setback and continue to build.

Time to support St Austell as a club rather than attack them as incidents like this are completely out of a clubs control.

MM

A few here have mentioned the ref had a poor game !!! Thought he had a pretty good game myself , perhaps favouring st Austell slightly . The incident escalated very quickly after players confronted the Lino after a bizarre decision to give a penalty after a top class tackle / save from Chappers which the ref , who was closer waved on ! Don't know what was said or why Marcus was sent but his reaction was totally out of order and I personally can't see him playing again . Those who are shouting about criminal charges REALLY!! My daughters attack me more violently when play fighting ! How can the club or the other players be punished for the acts of one individual ! Did they tell him to do it ? Did they encourage his reaction ? Will finish with these two points ; Big ban for player ! and two ; Well done to the ref for him not over reacting and finishing the game when he could of abandoned the game . 

The referee maybe deserved it? You sir, are a ...... I'm not even going to say what I think!!!

At a time when I am trying so hard to get people into refereeing due to the current shortage and dwindling numbers, this just amplifies why people aren't interested in picking up the whistle! Because of the actions of this player and others like him, I bet this will have a knock on effect which will delve deeper than the direct aftermath of this accident. Why would anyone want to be a referee?

I hope Stuart is okay. 

It's now gone national. BBC news shares are rising throughout and It's on most of the referee forums I follow aswell. 

Lee Whetter attacking a supporter against Newquay

Phil Lafferty bursting into the referees room, turning the air blue and telling them how to control the game

Marcus Martin attacking the referee

That's a pretty bad track record. Also, Marcus Martin has previous:

MARCUS MARTIN - JUST READ THIS ON TRURO CITY WEB SITE. What on earth is going on!!

The club would like to make the following statement regarding one of their players:-

The Club are aware that an incident happened at a local nightclub in the early hours of Sunday 16th December 2007 which involved Marcus Martin, the matter is currently being investigated by the Police and the player has currently been released on bail until early in the New Year.

The club have had discussions with the Police and as a result will not be making any further comment on the matter for the foreseeable future to enable the Police to complete their investigations and would appreciate forum members to take a similar line.

The club would also like to comment that it takes any allegation very seriously and will deal with the matter fully when this investigation has been concluded and they don't condone any act of assault.

Off to St Austell this saturday to watch them play Helston i hear they do WWF wrestling there now Marcus Martin is  a real good player seen him play many a time for different clubs over the season and he has got a nasty streak in him i have seen some of the tackles he put in when he was at Truro they would make u squirm some tackles where fare but a lot where over the top .I wouldnt be surprised if this has been over exagerated like lots of things on here he may of just wanted to give the Ref a Hug lol 

Still can not believe weasel is still insisting the referee deserved it despite a description of the incident being aired. I wonder how he would feel if he was having a bad day at work and one of his colleagues grappled him to the ground.

Sorry dangerous my exclamatio marks were sarcastic. My previous posts show my feelings on this topic  ie disgusted.

14 minutes ago, Weasel Shwirk said:

Panda, how am I still insisting, I just used the word maybe! As hardly anybody knew the details. If people on here had their way he'd be in prison and st Austell would have 10 points deducted. Stop jumping on the bandwagon 

He's assaulted someone. Prison isn't a bad shout; or at least a suspended sentence anyway.It's assault. Don't try and cover it with glitter; "oh the ref deserved it"... What for? Doing what he is paid to do? 

I fix helicopters for a living... Does that mean people have the right to assault me? It makes no difference whatsoever. What the football community doesn't need is people like yourself who un-excusably think that this sort of thing is okay. It's not okay and I seriously hope it is dealt with without any leniency. 

The point I was trying to make is that the referee was just doing his job. He shouldn't expect to get assaulted whilst carrying out that duty.

That's the point which is (and has) angered people, "maybe he deserved it", how? By officiating a game in accordance with a law-book. If he made a mistake (it's been alluded to that the Assistant Referee may have made a mistake which led up to the incident), I'm sure he didn't mean to. That doesn't make it okay to assault someone. 

I understand sometimes frustration gets the better of us but this is inexcusable. It should be condemned by everyone, not encouraged or accepted. 

Have a think about the wider picture. Dwindling number of referee's... All leaving because they've had enough of the abuse. Cornish football is already short as it is, without this sort of thing happening to discourage more people from picking up the whistle. 

Anyway, today's news is tomorrow's chip paper! I can't waste any more time talking about this with you, he will get banned from football, cautioned by the police (if at all) and everybody will forget about it! Out of all the games of football this doesn't happen often, stay safe ref's.

3 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

The point I was trying to make is that the referee was just doing his job. He shouldn't expect to get assaulted whilst carrying out that duty.

That's the point which is (and has) angered people, "maybe he deserved it", how? By officiating a game in accordance with a law-book. If he made a mistake (it's been alluded to that the Assistant Referee may have made a mistake which led up to the incident), I'm sure he didn't mean to. That doesn't make it okay to assault someone. 

I understand sometimes frustration gets the better of us but this is inexcusable. It should be condoned by everyone, not encouraged or accepted. 

Have a think about the wider picture. Dwindling number of referee's... All leaving because they've had enough of the abuse. Cornish football is already short as it is, without this sort of thing happening to discourage more people from picking up the whistle. 

Fair comment

out of all the people who have commented on this , how many were there ? Or are you going on hearsay when you talk about an assault worthy of prison . Out of order totally ( and I don't condone it )  but seriously . The ref showed a lot of bottle by continuing with the game and showed he wasn't going to be bullied when shortly after he handed a 2nd yellow to a Tavi player . Respect to him .  And the free kick Dave , was stood directly in line and what a strike , wanted st Austell but had to applaud that one . 

Weasel is a newbie to this forum, now with him defending or shall we say trying to 'defuse' the severity of last nights disgusting act i would say he is in the St.Austell Camp? As i cannot see how a points deduction & hefty fine cannot be seen as suitable. The problem is this is the second time this has happened at St.Austell & how many times are they going to keep getting away with it? If there is not serious action taken this time does that mean other clubs get 2 Chances as well??

42 minutes ago, TRUE FAN said:

Weasel Shwirk, for goodness sake leave it, you only open your mouth to change feet.......... Listen to the guys, they know what their talking about..... you don't.

I have

13 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Weasel is a newbie to this forum, now with him defending or shall we say trying to 'defuse' the severity of last nights disgusting act i would say he is in the St.Austell Camp? As i cannot see how a points deduction & hefty fine cannot be seen as suitable. The problem is this is the second time this has happened at St.Austell & how many times are they going to keep getting away with it? If there is not serious action taken this time does that mean other clubs get 2 Chances as well??

I have no ties to the st Austell camp

13 minutes ago, Keith B said:

100% agree Dangerous - I assume you meant to type 'condemn' and not condoned by the way ? :)

Many thanks Keith, that is what I meant :)

Weasel, would you have grabbed the referee by the throat in this scenario in the 'heat of the moment?' If not, which I sincerely hope would be your reply, then I think it's clear that the referee didn't 'deserve it'.

If you would have and you are still playing, then please hang up your boots.

9 hours ago, Nick Pope said:

Will be interesting what the outcome will be for both player/club and all should take note for future reference in order to try stop this happening again (if possible)?

Normally if a player receives a straight Red then it's usually £50 fine and 3 game ban. No action taken against club.

If 6 cautions are picked up in a game then the club receive a further £160 fine from FA for failure to control players as well as the cautions to be paid.

Above are only some examples of fines handed out by FA but this incident is far more severe as its after the original punishment given by the match official.

If this incident involved 2 players then I guess we can saftly say the punishment wouldn't be as harsh as what it would be when a match official is involved.

Will the FA view this as separate incident and only punish the individual or charge the club for failure to control their player?

Either way someone is in hot water and not a situation that I would wish on any club!

When I got punched on the jaw when reffing a few years ago the player involved got banned for life and fined 200 quid Could have went to court but chose not to as I was ok.

14 minutes ago, KH8 said:

Weasel, would you have grabbed the referee by the throat in this scenario in the 'heat of the moment?' If not, which I sincerely hope would be your reply, then I think it's clear that the referee didn't 'deserve it'.

If you would have and you are still playing, then please hang up your boots.

No

16 minutes ago, Weasel Shwirk said:

No

Which question are you replying to in the negative? Your likelihood of throttling a referee, or your continuance of a playing career?

In either case, get in touch with Dange'rous for details of the next Referee course. Education is so much better than ignorance or even punishment (at least before an event of this magnitude, it seems there were warning signs)

10 hours ago, Nick Pope said:

When I got punched on the jaw when reffing a few years ago the player involved got banned for life and fined 200 quid Could have went to court but chose not to as I was ok.

1 minute ago, Pauller8 said:

I wonder if a lot of you on here would hop on the wagon if it wasn't a st austell player???!!!!!!

I'm sure everyone that has commented would hop on the wagon if it was an international player with 700 caps (take that with a pinch of salt) or a player who's sat plying his trade in division five. It really doesn't matter who it is. There's been a few comments about the player but overall, the majority are talking about the nature of the incident, not who or where it was

41 minutes ago, hoppit said:

5 minutes ago, hoppit said:

So good a post that you had to put it up twice hoppit, I thought that I was suffering from Déjà vu all over again!

12 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Which question are you replying to in the negative? Your likelihood of throttling a referee, or your continuance of a playing career?

In either case, get in touch with Dange'rous for details of the next Referee course. Education is so much better than ignorance or even punishment (at least before an event of this magnitude, it seems there were warning signs)

Sorry, the first question

16 minutes ago, Pauller8 said:

Pinch of salt taken!!! And yeah I do believe it's about the club/ player dangerous!!! 

Personally, for me it's about an assault on a referee. There's no conspiracy against the player and/or AFC St Austell. I've never seen this guy, never seen st Austell play. I couldn't care who it is. The fact it's happened is enough for me to pass comment.

16 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

Personally, for me it's about an assault on a referee. There's no conspiracy against the player and/or AFC St Austell. I've never seen this guy, never seen st Austell play. I couldn't care who it is. The fact it's happened is enough for me to pass comment.

How can you pass comment on hearsay ?? Wouldn't want you on the jury if I was up in court ! 

12 minutes ago, Tribute said:

How can you pass comment on hearsay ?? Wouldn't want you on the jury if I was up in court ! 

I believe that you mean as a witness Tribute, jury members have to rely on hearsay, they would be debarred from jury service if they had first hand experience. Should M.M. be charged nobody at the match could be involved in trying him.