Cornwall Football Forum

Law Changes 16/17 - Law 6 - The Other Match Officials

06.1 Title change

Old Title
The Assistant Referee

New Text
The Other Match Officials

Explanation
The duties of all the other match officials (assistant referees, fourth official, additional assistant referees and reserve assistant referee) are now included in this Law.

06.2 Referee’s authority over other match officials

Additional Text
The match officials operate under the direction of the referee.

Explanation
Emphasises the referee’s leadership role.

06.3 Assistance given to the referee by other match officials

Additional Text
The match officials assist the referee with inspecting the field of play, the balls and players’ equipment (including if problems have been resolved) and maintaining records of time, goals, misconduct etc(…).

Explanation
Statement early in the Law of the usual assistance given to the referee avoids repetition in sections on each match official

06.4 Procedure if an official is unable to officiate

Old Text
Prior to the start of the competition, the organiser states clearly whether, if the referee is unable to continue, the fourth official takes over as the referee or whether the senior assistant referee or senior additional assistant referee takes over as referee with the fourth official becoming an assistant referee

New Text
Competition rules must state clearly who replaces a match official who is unable to start or continue and any associated changes. In particular, it must be clear whether, if the referee is unable to start or continue, the fourth official or the senior assistant referee or senior additional assistant referee takes over

Explanation
Wording simplified so each scenario does not need to be listed.

06.5 Duties of the fourth official

Additional Text
A fourth official (...) assists the referee at all times:
• checking a player’s/ substitute’s equipment (...)
• indicating the minimum amount of additional time the referee intends to play at the end of each half (including extra time).

Explanation
Tasks usually performed by fourth officials have been added.

Dange'rous you're doing a wonderful job bringing the updated changes to the LAWS Of Association Football to the forum community and I'm sure all those who have been bothered to read them can take them on board. It's ironic that you talk about the fourth official when we are struggling to get one! :P :c:

Hi Willow,

Thank you. It just saves people going and trying to find out all the information themselves. If I can educate at least one or two people, it'll make all the posts worthwhile :)

18 hours ago, Dange'rous said:

06.1 Title change

Old Title
The Assistant Referee

New Text
The Other Match Officials

Explanation
The duties of all the other match officials (assistant referees, fourth official, additional assistant referees and reserve assistant referee) are now included in this Law.

O.K. then cleverclogs, what about linesman, where do they fit in, and the fat bloke in the stands who gives the Referee the benefit of all his knowledge and advice?

The linesman is classed as "an other match official".. So he will come under the same law as before, it's just a name change to cover all officials at the game.

As for the fat bloke in the stands... He studies the Sun or Alan Shearer for his law knowledge... Whilst referee's sleep with the lawbook under the pillow after reading it for hourssssss on end every night (No? Just me then!). So, he can carry on eating his donuts lol.

It does surprise me with each game that I officiate, how many people don't have an understanding of the laws. A game I done last night, there was a minimum of 15 foul throws by 2 people... some didn't understand my decisions (x3) for "Playing in a dangerous manner".... "But I didn't touch him, Ref"... *bangs head against wall"... "Yes player, you're right. You didn't touch him. That is why it's an indirect free kick and not a direct one" *smirk*

Love Cleverclogs x