Cornwall Football Forum

Law Changes 16/17 - Law 1 - The Field Of Play

Summary Of Changes

Law 1 - The Field Of Play

• Artificial and natural surfaces may not be combined on the field
• Competitions may determine field size for their competitions (within Law)
• All commercial advertising on the ground must be at least 1m (1yd) from boundary lines
• Logos/emblems of FAs, competitions etc... allowed on corner flags (no advertising)

Actual Changes

The Field of Play 01.1

Artificial and natural surfaces may not be combined

Old text
Matches may be played on natural or artificial surfaces, according to competition rules.

New text
The field of play must be a wholly natural or, if competition rules permit, a wholly artificial playing surface, except where competition rules permit an integrated combination of artificial and natural materials (hybrid system).

Explanation
Clarifies that for safety reasons mixing natural and artificial surfaces is not permitted on the field of play. A different surface is permitted on the surrounding areas e.g. artificial turf for the assistant referees’ patrol area. An integrated mix of natural and artificial material is permitted.

01.2 Competitions may determine length of boundary lines (within Law 1 parameters)

Additional text
Competitions may determine the length of the goal line and touchline within the above dimensions.

Explanation
Clarifies that competitions have the authority to determine the length of the touchlines and goal lines for their matches within the dimensions of Law 1.

01.3 The technical area

Explanation
Technical area information moved from end of Laws section

01.4 Goal Line Technology (GTL)

Explanation
Goal Line Technology (GLT) moved from Law 10

01.5 Commercial advertising on the ground

Old text 
No form of commercial advertising, whether real or virtual, is permitted on the field of play, on the ground within the area enclosed by the goal nets or the technical area, or within 1 m (1 yd) of the touchline from the time the teams enter the field of play …

New Text
No form of commercial advertising, whether real or virtual, is permitted on the field of play, on the ground within the area enclosed by the goal nets or the technical area, or on the ground within 1 m (1 yd) of the boundary lines from the time the teams enter the field of play…

Explanation
Clarifies that restrictions on commercial advertising on the ground relate to the area behind the goal lines as well as the touchlines.

01.6 Logos and emblems on corner flags

Old Text
The reproduction, whether real or virtual, of representative logos or emblems of FIFA, confederations, member associations, leagues, clubs or other bodies is forbidden on the field of play, the goal nets and the areas they enclose, the goals, the flagposts and their flags during playing time.

New Text
The reproduction, whether real or virtual, of representative logos or emblems of FIFA, confederations, national football associations, competitions, clubs or other bodies is forbidden on the field of play, the goal nets and the areas they enclose, the goals, and the flagposts during playing time. They are permitted on the flags on the flagposts.

Explanation
• National football associations replaces member associations
• competitions replaces leagues as cup competitions are not covered by the current wording.
• These logos are already widely used and allowing them on the flags is consistent with Law 2 which permits them on the ball.

The digital version of the Lawbook can be found at: http://www.theifab.com/files/1%20-%20160412_laws-of-the-game-Digital_Print.pdf

Dange'rous, I know that we're talking about the F.A., so all normal rules of sanity are automatically suspended, but one yard and one meter are (in the real world) different, any idea which it is? Or is it as usual "thereabouts", no tape measures required (until they feel the need to fine a club, or dock points).

Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick.......hang on, of course I do!

I'll be covering all the laws by copy and pasting direct from the law book, so anything you read on this post and the others are the law (as it were). 

Im not reading in depth or learning any of these changes personally until this season has finished; it could cause some confusion in my mind for this seasons games if I have two sets of laws making the rounds in my head.

If you do have any questions on the laws, please feel free to ask. If I can't answer you directly, I'd certainly endeavour to get the answers for you as it will help me to learn them :)

If you look at the 1m vs 1yd thing, over that distance there isn't a lot of difference at all, I should imagine that was their thought when producing this book. As the distances in meters increases, the yardage will alter accordingly I'm sure 10m (12yd) etc... I'll know once I've looked a bit more at the book

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Dange'rous, I know that we're talking about the F.A., so all normal rules of sanity are automatically suspended, but one yard and one meter are (in the real world) different, any idea which it is? Or is it as usual "thereabouts", no tape measures required (until they feel the need to fine a club, or dock points).

Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick.......hang on, of course I do!

1 meter =1.094 yards  

1 hour ago, Willow Tree said:

Do the corner quadrants have to be the same size? The ones at Penzance Leisure Centre are huge!

The corner arc is a quarter of a circle for which the radius should be 1m (1.094yds ;)). I've never seen a corner arc that extends out that far. 

What you may find interesting is (another thing I've nev seen before) is that you may have some optional marks placed on the goal line and touchline to designate a 10yd area for when a corner is being taken.

Marks may be made off the eld of play, 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc and at right angles to the goal lines and the touch lines, to ensure that defending players retreat this distance when a corner kick is being taken. 

Law1_Page10_01.jpglaws-of-the-game-football-15-638.jpg?cb=

9 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

The corner arc is a quarter of a circle for which the radius should be 1m (1.094yds ;)). I've never seen a corner arc that extends out that far. 

What you may find interesting is (another thing I've nev seen before) is that you may have some optional marks placed on the goal line and touchline to designate a 10yd area for when a corner is being taken.

Marks may be made off the eld of play, 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc and at right angles to the goal lines and the touch lines, to ensure that defending players retreat this distance when a corner kick is being taken. 

Law1_Page10_01.jpglaws-of-the-game-football-15-638.jpg?cb=

The ones at the Leisure Centre looks like a metre.

2 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Thanks Dange'rous, I never knew there was that much variation, can you really have a square pitch 90mX90m? When you read in the newspaper that something is the size of so many football pitches it clearly doesn't mean much!

Afraid not. All pitches must be rectangular. The touchline must be longer than the goal line. There will be requirements mandated somewhere regarding how much longer the touchline must be, I'm not entirely sure where but will will be a FIFA ruling I'm sure.

Willow, now that you mention it, they are quite large. There'd be some pitches down here where if the clubs adhered to the measurement, the corner arc would almost touch the penalty area!