Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Veterans 10th April

Grampound 3 Packhorse 6, good run out with our semi v St Agnes next week. Dominated the first half, Dave Hooper opening the scoring with Rappo bagging the first of a well earned hatrick. Odd call gave the home side a chance to reduce arrears from the penalty spot (I flagged for a foul on our defender). Rappo's poaching instincts gave us a 4-1 lead but the home side made it 4-2 with a long range screamer. By now both teams were trading blows, Hoops put us 5-2 up but to their credit the home side pushed on, a full length of the pitch run with finish saw the home side come back to 5-3. In the last seconds a 6th was added, running clear I chipped the keeper and retired from football altogether knowing I would never score a better goal. As always Grampound gave us a game, good bunch of lads, no airs and graces. We wish them all the best for the remainder of the season.

GRAMPOUND (0) 3-6 (2) PACKHORSE

0-1  Hooper  29'

0-2  Rapsey  41

1-2  Mortimer  56 (pen)

1-3  Rapsey  63

1-4  Rapsey  68

2-4  Clements  72

2-5  Hooper  75

3-5  Clements  79

3-6  Holley  90

Good game to play in. Two fair honest teams, plenty of goalmouth action and apart from the strange penalty decision that Dave already mentioned well reffed by Rodney who had a bit of banter with the players. Personally chuffed the knee lasted 77 minutes and only 8 more goals for the 2000. Good to see old mates Sharpey and Chris, top blokes still playing well. Great strike from Matt Clements for 4-2 and Dave being his usual modest self, but his chip was right out of the top drawer, clean through plenty of time to think about it but beautifully executed, hard to chip a ball running away from you, great finish that mate! Perfect view as I was off the pitch right in line guzzling a bottle of Coke by then! Apart from a couple of areas the pitch held up really well. Nice set up Grampound. ?⚽️

Game was played in great spirit, as Vets football should be, banter between both teams and some decent football being played.

Packhorse were deserved winners although the game was so open it could have ended 15-13!!

Good to catch up with you Mark, you haven't lost those striking instincts with a well taken hat-trick.

Good luck to Packhorse for the rest of the season, which I'm sure will end up with them winning some silverware.

Chris