Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Charity Cup 1998/99

Please could anyone in the know answer a few questions I have from the Durning Lawrence Cornwall Charity Cup from 1998/99.

I am two first round ties missing - Newquay and Millbrook were two of the teams involved but I don't know their victims or when/where the games were.

Also I am a quarter final tie missing - it was Liskeard v St Blazey or St Blazey v Liskeard. But when/where and what was the score.

Thank you!

First Round          

Sunday 04/10/1998 Helston Athletic vs Penzance 2 - 1  
Sunday 11/10/1998 Liskeard Athletic vs Nanpean Rovers 3 - 1  
Wednesday 07/10/1998 Porthleven vs Callington Town 7 - 0  
Tuesday 29/09/1998 Saltash United vs Bodmin Town 0 - 2  
Wednesday 16/09/1998 St Blazey vs Penryn Athletic 6 - 1  
Sunday 27/09/1998 Wadebridge Town vs Launceston 5 - 2  
  ? vs ? ?  
  ? vs ? ?  

Quarter Finals          

Wednesday 10/02/1999 Bodmin Town vs Helston Athletic 3 - 0  
Tuesday 26/01/1999 Porthleven vs Newquay 6 - 1  
    vs      
Sunday 14/02/1999 Wadebridge Town vs Millbrook 1-1 aet (3p2)  

Semi Finals          

Tuesday 13/04/1999 Porthleven vs St Blazey 2 - 3 aet at Newquay

Thursday 15/04/1999 Bodmin Town vs Wadebridge Town 1 - 4 at St Blazey

Final          

Wednesday 05/05/1999 St Blazey vs Wadebridge Town 4 - 1 at Bodmin

MISSING INFO:-

Newquay Charity Cup 1st Round 1998/99:

Sep 13th                                Newquay            3-1          Torpoint Athletic

Millbrook Charity Cup 1st Round 1998/99:

Oct 25th                 St Austell             0-5          Millbrook

Quarter Final

Feb 17th                                St Blazey              3-2          Liskeard Ath

Thanks Willow!! Brought back some nice memories that season! Scored in every round, had a hat-trick in the semi final at Blazey against Bodmin, ex Argyle keeper James Dungey in goal saved my pen as well!! Split me knee open last minute!! Few of us went dancing in Quasers after the game!! Blood came through me jeans all that house music, couldn't sit down with that pumping out!!!!  ?  Think it was the old Thursday night cheap drinks that deadened it!!! ?  Great night apart from Gearsy puking up in Nannys fireplace at 4am!!! Scored past me old mucker Philpy in the final at Bodmin but Blazey were just too good on the night. Had one disallowed at 0-0 as well, even Rower said I was 3 yards onside!!! Wouldn't have changed anything anyway with 70 left to play, Blazey were top notch that season and deserved winners. ??

This is the problem when one has to keep records from newspapers etc and not official.

I say that Mark because I've got the following in my old handwritten records:

1st Rd 5-2 H to Launceston (Rapsey 3, Baron, S Casey pen)

QF 1-1 A at Millbrook 1-1 (aet & pens 3-2) Scorer Lee Bateman

SF 4-1 at St Blazey v Bodmin 4-1 (Rapsey 2, S Green, Baron)

F 1-4 at Bodmin v St Blazey (Rapsey)

image.jpeg

Dave, you're correct as usual mate!!!  ??. Just checked the old scrapbook from that season! The hat-trick and saved penalty was the league game!!! We won 4-0 or 4-1? Graham Kelly was there watching in his fa capacity, always came across as a bit of a misery, but was a really funny bloke!! Nice chap ?  Had a good three games against Bodmin that season, we beat them away 2-1 in the league as well and I scored a 45 yarder for the winner next to the stand going downhill after missing a couple of sitters!!! Good games those Wadebridge v Bodmin local derbies!! Be a different scoreline these days I think!!! Cheers Dave, the memory ain't what it was at 48 mate!!!  ?  

I would always back you to get it spot on Dave!! ??  No don't need anymore goals!! The next 11 will be the hardest I think mate!? Great photo, that slope was worth 10 points to us that season!! Just smash it up into the top corner and watch Johnny Murt run!! Lightning!!! He would make an average pass look world class!! It probably looked a bit like that Willow but JP and Robbie played a 4-5-1 system that season that was built around me and the midfield boys were superb!!! Created chance after chance really, all I had to do was get in the box and find space. Probably could have scored 70 that season mate!! Great bunch of lads!! Think the regular team went something like this.

1. GEARS

2. OLSEN,. 4. TRIGGS  5.RICHARDS  3. WILLIAMS/COOK

7. MURT  8. NANCARROW  6.CASEY(c). 9. PENRY  11.GREEN

10. RAPSEY

Great balance to that team, top keeper, big strong defence, midfield that could run all day and play a bit and the finisher was not too bad either!! ??⚽️

Had talented players like Paul Baron and Jerry Soloman who could come on and change a game as well. Most I've enjoyed my football that was apart from obviously my time at Falmouth Town where I was very fortunate to play with a special group of people on and off the field. Thanks for the walk down memory lane Dave and Willow!!! ?⚽️