Cornwall Football Forum

TIME WASTING

ECPL

I would be interested to hear of any opinions about time wasting.   As an ex referee I was shocked at the amount of time wasting and feigning injury by the Northampton players against Argyle.  It is not often for me to watch Argyle but what struck me was the total lack of response from the match referee over clear time wasting antics.  Surely an early yellow card would have solved the problem. 

I wasn't at the match against Wycombe but again the referee's total ineptitude in dealing with the problem caused everyone at the ground to show their disgust at his lack of control.  Indeed I would put it to him that he was reason why there was a problem at the end of the game,.  I have only seen it on the TV but Ainsworth should be charged with bringing the game into dispute.  I was amazed that when Adams offered the customary end of game hand shake Ainsworth stuck his chest into Adams with plenty of finger pointing. Even when Adams attempted to shake hands with the Wycombe backroom staff Ainsworth continued to harass him.  We will obviously have to wait for the inept referees report before we know what action the FA will take. .  But guaranteed Argyle will be the most heavily critisised.

So what is my point.  I want to know why referees continually fail to do their job in by that to ensure that game becomes a sporting contest.    Have you noticed that one of the favorite tricks now is for a foul to be given, a player eventually decides where the kick is going to be taken and just when you think he is about to take the free kick, he walks away and another player usually over 25 yards away comes up, sets the ball again and eventually takes the free kick.  It is the same with a throw in with the same routine being followed much to the ire of the fans,.  And don't talk to me about feigning injury.  Surely the referee knows that much of this is deliberate time wasting 

Surely action must be taken as early as possible in the game to cut this nonsense out.

One of the fans who has had enough of this nonsense by saying,  If you want to turn people away from the game then this is the ideal way to do it.  

I know the referee in both games added on time but that is not the point, it seems the whole object is to disrupt the game as much as possible.   

I agree with some of what you say but this sort of thing goes on all the time but I am sure you would find if the boot was on the other foot Argyle or any team would do exactly the same How often do you see a team 1-0 up take ages over goalkicks etc and then find themselves 2-1 down and moaning like hell because their opponents are doing the same thing they were doing ealier on ?

Agree. Annoys the hell out of me. I have been saying for years, if a player needs to receive treatment, he should have to leave the pitch for a specified amount of time, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. How many managers would allow their players to feign injury then? It would quickly change the attitude to being complete cheating pansies. And if really injured, the necessary time for proper treatmenbt can be assessed in the time they are not allowed on the pitch. A substitution could be made immediately if necessary......and so on.

As for the free-kick/throw-in malarkey - yep - yellow card at the first opportunity. It will stamp it out. 

By the way, on the subject of time wasting........

Local game this past weekend, we are losing 2-1, and pressing for a goal, when opposition break, play long ball to forward player who is clearly well offside. Whistle clearly sounds. Players looks up, strolls a couple more strides, then wallops the ball past the stationary keeper into the net. Keeper is outside the box, hoping to get the ball quickly to take the free-kick, hopefully to launch into the other area for the chance of an equaliser.

Player should be booked. It is a cautionable offense; "delaying the restart of play".

I asked the referee after the game, as this kind of thing really annoys me too, why did he not show a yellow card? The answer was that there was only 30 seconds of play left.....

So if in the next game, when there is 30 seconds of play left at the end of the game, I go a strike the referee or an opposition player, in the face, would I get a red card?

I wonder.....

Most teams have wasted time during a game  especially in a cup tie when hanging on to a lead , the old Liverpool team of the seventies and eighties used up a lot of time by passing the ball to the keeper to eat up time , part of the game I am afraid   has always been there ,  slightly off time wasting my gripe is how players gain ground when taking a throw in , you see it at every game they can gain yards and are never pulled up for it .

Would bringing in the watch whereby when the game stops for a free kick or throw in or injury then why not stop the clock, especially at the higher level,  You could make the game 35 or 40 minutes each half.  Maybe a step to far but what do you think

Time wasting is unfortunately part of the game. Like stevieb said, it's always been part of the game, and to be honest it'll never grow old. There are just different ways you can waste time, some you get away with and some you can't. Although what doesn't help is all the time wasting that goes on in a game the referee doesn't necessarily add on at the end of the game when they are supposed to.

Would bringing in the watch whereby when the game stops for a free kick or throw in or injury then why not stop the clock, especially at the higher level,  You could make the game 35 or 40 minutes each half.  Maybe a step to far but what do you think

If my memory serves me correctly, when they started to show Itlaian Serie A football matches on Channel 4 back in the 90s, they always briefly showed the number of minutes the ball was in play during the half. This was part of the overall analysis and so on. I recall the time being typically between 28 and 30 minutes. That is basically a full 15 minutes of each half that the ball is "dead", either out of play for a throw/goal kick, waiting for a corner/free kick and so on.....so i don't think that stopping the game, much like American Football for example, is a good idea. The referee already adds time of for these "extras", although I believe this is inconsistent, and it is that which should be sorted out.

Speaking to a Select Group referee a few years ago (While Fergie was still manager at Utd) they used to try and use:

30 seconds per substitution

30 seconds per goal

injuries 30 seconds plus extra

30 seconds for caution

1 minute for red (as it takes time for player to leave)

+ any other time as decided by referee.

Keith B , I think you must be the only person in the world who has the same thoughts as me on the subject of  " sport "  and the ridiculous goal celebrations . My thoughts are that you've just scored a goal , this is what you are paid for , there's 80 minutes left  , in that time the opposition score 4 goals  so all your hysteria was for nothing . Scoring a goal is only part of a game , I can understand  a player being pleased that he's scored but that means nothing if the other side score  more . Classic examples have been the 2 Everton games recently where they scored   near the end and  players were booked for over the top celebrations etc . only for the oppositions to  score immediately from the restart . I agree on the entertainment aspect , today it's all about winning , nothing else counts . Commentators condone fouls saying that " he had to take the booking  for the team " What a great example to set for  viewers , young and old  , How many players have smile on their faces ? how many managers say that the opposition played well ?

I heard a rare comment from a Norwich supporter yesterday . Although I live near Norwich I'm not a supporter  ,I find generally their supporters  very rarely lose gracefully , the opposition were lucky , the officials were bent or useless , the manager is clueless and there are 25,000 better players in the crowd . This Norwich supporter was talking about the recent game against Liverpool where Norwich surrendered a 3-1 lead and lost 4-5  ,whereas everyone else were saying  how lucky Liverpool were etc. etc. he said that Norwich were equally lucky to be 3-1 up  but he enjoyed the game because it was  EXCITING . How often do we hear this today " we lost but it was exciting " In the 60's Chelsea and West Ham didn't win anything but had big gates because they played exciting football and had exciting players . Surly that's entertainment  not cheating or win at all cost's plus some of the games are a cure for sleeplessness ( I can't spell insomnia ) with the cross field , back to the keeper , back to midfield , back across the field etc . etc. . I know all of the young generation will disagree with the ramblings of an old man , but bear in mind we older people grew up in an age of great players ( dignified men at that )  and great teams and were lucky enough to watch them .