Cornwall Football Forum

A new computer beckons

Guest Ronin

I need a new computer to replace this one I got second hand off Fred Flintstone. Do Forum users have any makes they can recommend or suggest steer clear of? This one's a Packard Bell and has been pretty good to me despite me regularly spilling beer and tea down the keyboard and smacking the screen when I can't get it to do what I want <_< I don't want to spend a fortune either ;)

I don't want to do anything fancy like download loads of music or rewrite DVDs so I guess up to about £500. I'm thinking of asking to Committee to chip in seeing as most of the stuff on my computer is for Perran Football Club!

DELL is a good shout because you actually just buy the standard box and components and then simply add the extras that you feel you need. So if you don't want a DVD rewriter or a stupid amount of memory etc, don't have them built in. It's like winklepicker said though, remember that you get what you pay for.

Good luck though buddy. :thumbsup:

Guest Sport Lover

The computers are all roughly the same these days so you can buy with assurance.

The only bad thing about PC world are if you have a problem they seem to direct you to the manufacturer rather than deal with the problem themselves. There maybe a service contract you can buy to solve that.

Most computers are cheap enough these days anyway so its not a 'huge' investment.

The way to buy a computer is :-

A) decide how much you want to spend

B) decide what you want to do with the computer

C) Look for warantees/Guarantees

D) See what software you need and is bundled with the computer

E) Go with gut feeling, if you like it and seems like a good price then buy it.

You ask 10 different people about makes/brands and your get ten different answers.

FOR CHRISTS SAKE,WONT SOMEBODY GIVE HER A FREE PC,BECAUSE THATS ALL THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT SURELY ? MY AUNTIES KIDS NEED SOME NEW SHOES FOR THE WINTER AS WELL . <_<

FOR CHRISTS SAKE,WONT SOMEBODY GIVE HER A FREE PC,BECAUSE THATS ALL THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT SURELY ? MY AUNTIES KIDS NEED SOME NEW SHOES FOR THE WINTER AS WELL . <_<

NO NEED fella. The Ronin just wants some advice and the people on here are only too happy to help if they feel they can.

Ronin, good on you for your grown up and humerous response to the unnecessary remark by Frodo. :clapper:

We've bought around 500 Dells and had hardly any problems.

A guy nips over from Porthleven and fixes any problems the next day. The only real problems have been with laptops , the desktops just work.

They did have reported problems with home buyers (we are educational customers) customer support a year or so ago but they seem to have sorted it now.

You COULD buy cheaper but not better. PC World is great for bits but NOT for whole systems under any circumstances.

DON'T BUY A SERVICE CONTRACT FROM A RETAILER like Comet or PC World.

Yeah, PC world are corrupt. Comet are always very helpful if you need advice. I recently bought a new HP (Hewlett-Packard) laptop from there. Inbuilt webcam and Windows Vista - 500 pounds and excellent value.

Sorry to dissapoint you but Dixons, Currys, Comet and Pc World are all the same company.