14 Brixham             19   6    1    12   35   40  -5   19 
 15 Bovey               19   6    1    12   35   47  -12  19 
 16 Tots&Darts          17   5    1    11   26   52  -26  16 
 17 Liverton            16   3    2    11   23   44  -21  11 
 18 Okehampton          19   0    3    16   25   69  -44  3 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by Dave Deacon
Results added

Not iced Phil Hiscox has made special postponement arrangements for Boxing Day fixtures Dave on the SWPL website due to the adverse weather forecast.

Why are arrangements for cancellations being considered 3 days in advance - forecasters cannot predict one day ahead accurately, it is becoming a farce !

Not iced Phil Hiscox has made special postponement arrangements for Boxing Day fixtures Dave on the SWPL website due to the adverse weather forecast.

Why are arrangements for cancellations being considered 3 days in advance - forecasters cannot predict one day ahead accurately, it is becoming a farce !

I think Big Al it's so people don't waste all Christmas Day worrying about the morning after!

Here's the bulk of Phil Hiscox's instructions that he's posted on the SWPL forum:-

"Unlike other Saturdays throughout the season, Boxing Day presents two problems – 1) Most kick offs are 11am or such and therefore inspections on the morning of the game don’t really have the same affect of stopping wasted journeys as they would if afternoon kick offs. 2) Christmas on the one hand gives most home clubs there best attendances of the season, but if the games are not going to be played they have an impact on players and officials Christmas Day for no reason.

Therefore and taking into account both recent weather, and having checked 3 different forecasts for different locations I will accept:

NO games can be postponed today (23rd Dec)

Christmas Eve: Clubs who are convinced that games will not be played are instructed to arrange an inspection in daylight hours on Christmas Eve – IF the Referee is satisfied that the game will not proceed then I will accept a postponement on Christmas Eve, by phone and before 6pm.

Christmas Day: If clubs really want to hold inspections on Christmas Day with a local referee I will accept calls on my mobile ONLY ( 077 888 97706 ) between 10am & Midday or between 3pm and 5pm ONLY.

Boxing Day: Unless I advise to the contrary (if the weather dictates) inspections should be held as early as possible taking into account kick off time etc. I will be at my desk from at least 8.30am to 10am to take calls and will have my mobile with me throughout the day.

For information – The weather forecasts are not crystal clear and suggest :

Today – Dry with some light rain this evening
Xmas Eve: Early rain which should clear to leave a dry afternoon/night
Xmas Day: The worst day – Early rain which will only clear to more showery conditions.
Boxing Day: Chance of some showers throughout but “may” be drier during the early part of the day, which of course most games are scheduled for.

My gut thought is that the better draining pitches might be ok and we should see some games on, but I am aware that those with poorer draining or pitches damaged by being played on recently may not be, my thought in these instructions is therefore to give the clubs the chance to weigh up options themselves, keep games on if they can be played but equally get an early call if they really will not be on."

I think Big Al it's so people don't waste all Christmas Day worrying about the morning after!

Here's the bulk of Phil Hiscox's instructions that he's posted on the SWPL forum:-

"Unlike other Saturdays throughout the season, Boxing Day presents two problems – 1) Most kick offs are 11am or such and therefore inspections on the morning of the game don’t really have the same affect of stopping wasted journeys as they would if afternoon kick offs. 2) Christmas on the one hand gives most home clubs there best attendances of the season, but if the games are not going to be played they have an impact on players and officials Christmas Day for no reason.

Therefore and taking into account both recent weather, and having checked 3 different forecasts for different locations I will accept:

Christmas Eve: Clubs who are convinced that games will not be played are instructed to arrange an inspection in daylight hours on Christmas Eve – IF the Referee is satisfied that the game will not proceed then I will accept a postponement on Christmas Eve, by phone and before 6pm.

Christmas Day: If clubs really want to hold inspections on Christmas Day with a local referee I will accept calls on my mobile ONLY ( 077 888 97706 ) between 10am & Midday or between 3pm and 5pm ONLY.

Boxing Day: Unless I advise to the contrary (if the weather dictates) inspections should be held as early as possible taking into account kick off time etc. I will be at my desk from at least 8.30am to 10am to take calls and will have my mobile with me throughout the day.

For

For information – The weather forecasts are not crystal clear and suggest :

Xmas Day: The worst day – Early rain which will only clear to more showery conditions.
Boxing Day: Chance of some showers throughout but “may” be drier during the early part of the day, which of course most games are scheduled for.

My gut thought is that the better draining pitches might be ok and we should see some games on, but I am aware that those with poorer draining or pitches damaged by being played on recently may not be, my thought in these instructions is therefore to give the clubs the chance to weigh up options themselves, keep games on if they can be played but equally get an early call if they really will not be on."

I FORGOT MR HISCOX CANNOT BE WRONG!

information – The weather forecasts are not crystal clear and suggest :

I FORGOT MR HISCOX CANNOT BE WRONG.

Edited by BIG AL
WRONG ENTRY

According to the SWPL website -games are falling as we speak

Cullompton Rangers v Exmouth towm

Crediton v Appledore

Bovey Tracey v Liverton United

This is ridiculous!

So it doesn't rain where you are ? 

All day today - the sun has been shining, the wind blowing and the grass is dry. Why call all these games off now just because IT MIGHT RAIN. But then all these refs are getting their fees and get them again when they ref the match so it all makes sense.

Crediton v Appledore

This is ridiculous!

All day today - the sun has been shining, the wind blowing and the grass is dry. Why call all these games off now just because IT MIGHT RAIN. But then all these refs are getting their fees and get them again when they ref the match so it all makes sense.

which refs are getting fees!? No referee is entitled to a fee when doing these inspections, and most are local referees who never charge expenses!

Raining heavy here late afternoon Big Al.

Us older members of the forum remember when we used to play in almost any condition. But unfortunately these days it's just not the done thing.

Yes it is a shame, because if nothing else it produced the occasional surprise due to the better team unable to adapt to the sticky, muddy conditions, however it doesn't matter how much you and I enjoyed those occasions, we just have to realise that those days have gone, things have moved on and we have to do the same. No matter how much moaning we do, it won't revert back to those glorious times. 

No one would postpone a Boxing Day fixture unless they had no choice. The financial implications through the gate and clubhouse can't be matched by a Tuesday night in late January. 

Sometimes though clubs are better off cancelling one game leaving their pitch playable for many more games rather than ploughing on regardless and leaving the pitch smashed for weeks. 

Doesn't matter what your lawn looks like Al I'm guessing you don't have to deal with people running all over it every week. It might look different if that were the case!

No one would postpone a Boxing Day fixture unless they had no choice. The financial implications through the gate and clubhouse can't be matched by a Tuesday night in late January. 

Sometimes though clubs are better off cancelling one game leaving their pitch playable for many more games rather than ploughing on regardless and leaving the pitch smashed for weeks. 

Doesn't matter what your lawn looks like Al I'm guessing you don't have to deal with people running all over it every week. It might look different if that were the case!

Postponed Three days before the actual game get a grip were not in Cumbria, boxing day is one of the biggest days of the season and all efforts should be made to make the game go ahead I'm agreeing with big Al on this one

Crediton v Appledore

This is ridiculous!

No big Al....you're ridiculous.

Rock on Tommy, and spot on the money.

I walked on our pitch Monday night, never seen it as wet as that, I would have put it as doubtful then.

And we've had how many hours of rain this week????

People need to understand how the ground drains. Top class modern pitch, 20/25mm per hour, local poorly draining pitch 2mm an hour.

Any water in the top 2 /3 inches and you play on it, you liquefy it. No games for weeks afterwards, temperatures below 10 degrees, no recovery at all.

Now you are in trouble, you won't play for a month....or more.

At the moment - approx 4pm on Christmas Day most of the games postponed seem to be in Devon, but with the rain today, look out for news from your teams tomorrow morning.

To confirm - ganes OFF so far:-
PREMIER DIVISION
Callington Town v Launceston
Cullompton Rangers v Exmouth Town
Elburton Villa v Plymouth Parkway
Tavistock v Witheridge

DIVISION ONE WEST
Millbrook v Vospers Oak Villa
Plymstock United v Plymouth Argyle

DIVISION ONE EAST
Crediton United v Appledore
St Martins v Tiverton Town
Exwick Villa v Alphington

Bodmin 7.0 Camelford 

Probably not as one sided as the scoreline but still 2 teams that probably should be in different leagues. Camelford had two players pull out at 10 o'clock  to go with the four already out, Bodmin had players out as well but the difference is the players they bring in are just as good. Can't see anybody stopping Bodmin winning the league, let's hope they take promotion this time. But I doubt it.

Went to see the south coast local derby, between the best two teams in the county, past and present. A dramatic game which really should have finished as a score draw, but footie doesn't quite work like that, and all three points went away. Give the players their due though, both sides worked hard on a heavy pitch, and the best team won albeit marginally. 

I suspect that the New Year will bring changes to both sides, and while I cannot see promotion for the home team, l'm not sure that the visitors have what it takes either. Particularly if, as rumour has it the second team game was cancelled because they couldn't raise a bar-staff team!

Over three hundred lost souls had nothing better to do!

SG 5 - 3 Ivybridge

Entertaining game overall, its Christmas, BUT, you cant gift goals, the way Ivybridge's goalkeeper and defence did today!! Well done to both teams, pitch held up well, considering the amount of rain thats fallen.....

Great set up at SG

The offside rule still seems to baffle the Assistant ref on the far side as well as some of the players!!

St Blazey 1v2 St Austell 

Att. A guess around 250. 

Pretty poor really. As good as weather as you'll get for boxing day football.  

St Austell looked well in control at 2 nil up. But a goal just before half time changed all that. Blazey had a lot of the ball in the second half and should have scored to make it 2v2 when the ball back was headed over from a yard out. St Austell only mustered a few efforts on goal in the second half. St Blazey gave it everything but couldn't get the goal they probably deserved in the end. St Austell looked no where near the side of last season and will need to do something special to pip Bodmin to the title. St Blazey have a bigger fixture next week when we are home to second bottom Camelford. 

Ivybridge didn't help us today loosing to Stoke Gabriel. 

St Blazey 1v2 St Austell 

Att. A guess around 250. 

St Austell looked well in control at 2 nil up. But a goal just before half time changed all that. Blazey had a lot of the ball in the second half and should have scored to make it 2v2 when the ball back was headed over from a yard out. St Austell only mustered a few efforts on goal in the second half. St Blazey gave it everything but couldn't get the goal they probably deserved in the end. St Austell looked no where near the side of last season and will need to do something special to pip Bodmin to the title. St Blazey have a bigger fixture next week when we are home to second bottom Camelford. 

Thanks for the report Paul. Good luck for the rest of the season and a Happy New Year to you. 

Bodmin 7.0 Camelford 

Probably not as one sided as the scoreline but still 2 teams that probably should be in different leagues. Camelford had two players pull out at 10 o'clock  to go with the four already out, Bodmin had players out as well but the difference is the players they bring in are just as good. Can't see anybody stopping Bodmin winning the league, let's hope they take promotion this time. But I doubt it.

Felt for Reg Hambly as his sides are always organised but today they were pulled apart by a rampant Bodmin side who should of scored more. Still along way to go at the top & for Reg at the bottom. I still think they will be ok & escape relegation, & it will be Elburton or Newquay that goes down with Paul's St.Blazey who lost Again today. With Stoke winning i would say its out of St.Blazeys hands now, 11 points from safety is a very tall order at any level of football. Another tricky game for the leagues top side up next, & Rocky will probably be on the score sheet again!

Crediton v Appledore

This is ridiculous!

you are a complete fool big al. No ref gets his fee for a game called off two days prior. Stop blaming the officials and for once in your life realise that CLUBS want to preserve there field of play for the remainder of the season. #openyoureyesfool. 

Crediton v Appledore

This is ridiculous!

you are a complete fool big al. No ref gets his fee for a game called off two days prior. Stop blaming the officials and for once in your life realise that CLUBS want to preserve there field of play for the remainder of the season. #openyoureyesfool. 

Just wondering if Big Al had a Christmas present this year......a brain !

Crediton v Appledore

This is ridiculous!

I know differently!

Crediton v Appledore

This is ridiculous!

I know differently!

Reveal all then!

Full credit to you Al, you successfully get a "bite" from every one of your posts. Well done. If, however, you are as intellectually challenged as a lot of people think, then maybe the best thing you could do is go to a vet and ask to be put down?

Without going back through all of Big Al's posts, I doubt if he has been as threatening as some of the comments and suggestions made to him recently.

You may call it harmless banter, but it's not really the sort of thing to encourage on here and so can you all refrain from writing these sort of posts please.

St Blazey 1v2 St Austell 

Att. A guess around 250. 

SWPL website confirms official attendance was 320, good turn out considering the weather.