Cornwall Football Forum

Argyle vs Spurs

Hoping someone can settle a disagreement between my mate and I who's a Spurs fan

I am sure that in the winter of season 1981 / 2 Spurs played an evening friendly at Home Park

We were down to go but my dads car wouldn't start.

I told my mate about the game but he doesn't think it happened

Can't find any record of it but I bet someone on this forum went to the game

Somerset Spur or anyone ?

From a Western Morning News internet page :

Crudgington's final appearance was a showpiece occasion. His testimonial match drew a deserved bumper crowd with the promise of Gary Lineker playing in a star-studded Tottenham Hotspur side.

But there was extra surprise in store for the fans that turned up to pay tribute to the Argyle goalkeeper.

Doug Livermore made a call from north London to Plymouth on the Friday before the game to ask if it would be possible for Paul Gascoigne to play in the match.

Permission had to be sought as Gazza had missed recent Spurs games because of a broken arm. The request was for the England midfielder to take part in the game wearing a plaster on the affected arm.

Match referee Roger Milford was then contacted, and the official gave Spurs his blessing, but Argyle were asked by Spurs to keep the news quiet until the day of the game.

Not 1982 though as I've found elsewhere on the Greens on Screen Database info:-

Although his playing days were over, Crudgington was deservedly awarded a testimonial game on the evening of 26th January 1990 when Argyle lined up against a full-strength Tottenham Hotspur side, including Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker - the date was free because both clubs had been knocked out in the third round of the FA Cup.

I remember that game very well it was on a fri night 26th jan 1990 ,Gasgoigne was brilliant that night and scored a briliant goal the score wa 3-0 to Spurs scorers where Gasgoigne Mabbut and Morrison og the crowdwas 8,652 Spurs team was THORSTEDT THOMAS HUGHTON ALLEN POLSON MABBUT WALSH GASGOIGNE STEWART LINEKER MONCUR SUBS NAYHIM MORAN The other time Spurs came to home park was for a preseason friendly 31st july 1985 Plymouth won 1-0 Steve Cooper the scorer Spurs side that night was 1 CLEMENCE 2 THOMAS 3HUGHTON 4ROBERTS 5 MILLER 6 P ALLEN 7 ARDILLES 8 FALCO 9 WADDLE 10 HODDLE 11 GALVIN SUBS 12 VILLA14 C ALLEN  15 CHEIDOZIE 16 LEAWORTHY OTHER PRE SEASON FRIENDLIES THAT SEASON WHERE CHELSEA ASTON VILLA LUTON AND SOUTHAMPTON . I watched 1 of the most skillful players i had seen that night in GLEN HODDLE 

Edited by 100%cornish
wanted to add the date

that was ment to be Raheen Sterling he has refused to go on pre season tour with Liverpool and  has turned down £200,000 a week makes me so mad with what these players earn now how can a 20 yr old  demand these things Liverpool should stick him in the reserves if he is not sold he has got to be a bad influence there like Balotelli