Cornwall Football Forum

DO REFS DISLIKE CERTAIN TEAMS

Does anybody think that referees dislike teams so they give some decisions based on the fact they dont like the team. That may be because they always recieve abuse from that team or they dont like some of the players. For whatever reason their judgement may be clouded due to their dislike for the team or players. What are your opinions!!!!!

In my opinion some do, having been on the wrong end of it!!! but I'm not going to say anything else on the matter as there could be cause for libel!!

However, the majority are totally neutral!! but then, if you annoy refs by constant moaning and things like that, then they're going to dislike you I suppose!!

Nah...I don’t think they really set out to treat teams any differently. We have to accept that referees will sometimes have an off day decision-making wise just as players do. Hell…we don’t go accusing a player of deliberately throwing a game to help the opposition just cause he has a howler do we?

I guess as long as decisions are fairly consistent (be they good or bad) we should accept and get on with it, not moan and berate constantly.

The only area I have ever had a problem with is that referees will never criticise the performance of their peers even when a performance is indefensible. If a goalie or striker (whatever) has a bad game and makes poor decisions – the player, his team mates, supporters and uncle Tom Cobbly and all can and do openly say so. I think that this we have to stick together and say nothing no matter what against all others regardless, is one of the reasons that players tend to have more respect for each other than they do for match officials.

But going back to the title at the head of this thread, I would say NO, (maybe yes in very isolated cases at the lowest level) but as much as I used to believe in conspiracy theories at one time, I now think refs take as much pride in doing their job properly as any good player does.

So keep up the good work chaps.

YOU LIVE AND LEARN, I SUPPOSE.

I OFFICIATED A PARTICULAR CLUB IN DUCHY DIV 2 EARLIER THIS SEASON IN ONE OF THEIR AWAY MATCHES. IN PREVIOUS SEASONS I HAD ALWAYS FOUND ONE OR TWO PARTICULAR PLAYERS VERY HOSTILE TOWARDS ME SO I MADE A POINT OF SHARPENING MY PENCIL BEFORE I LEFT HOME. (JUST IN CASE).

INSTEAD OF WHAT I WAS EXPECTING, I WAS WARMLY WELCOMED BY RUSSELL HALE AND SHAUN EDGE, THE NEW TEAM MANAGERS (AND FORMER REFEREES) AND WAS SUBJECTED TO ALMOST NO DISSENT AT ALL FROM THEIR PLAYERS.

I HAVE ALSO HAD VERY SIMILAR ENCOUNTERS WITH TWO VERY INFAMOUS CLUBS THIS YEAR HAVING PREVIOUSLY EXPERIENCED HOSTILITIES BUT FINDING OUT VERY QUICKLY THAT IT NEVER PAYS TO BE PREJUDICIAL TOWARDS TEAMS.

EVEN THE WORST OFFENDERS TRULY HAVE A LEVEL OF RESPECT TOWARDS MATCH OFFICIALS.

IF US REFEREES EXPECT PLAYERS TO "GET OVER IT AND GET ON WITH THE GAME" THEN WE SHOULD ALL DO LIKEWISE.

THIS SEASON HAS, SO FAR, BEEN MY MOST ENJOYABLE BY A LONG, LONG WAY.

Guest tom@white tigers

Does anybody think that referees dislike teams

Referees seem to dislike Truro City, come to think of it no one likes Truro City.

Guest postman pat

HAVE YOU TRIED REFFING A GAME AND TAKE LOTS OF STICK WHETHER YOU ARE RIGHT OR WRONG ALL REFS. ARE HUMAN AND YES WE DO SOMETIMES MAKE MISTAKES BUT THEN I SUPPOSE ALL PLAYERS ARE PERFECT :c: LOL ALL WE EVER ASK IS A BIT OF RESPECT SO THAT WE CAN ALSO ENJOY THE GAME WE LOVE. YOUR LINE OF QUESTION COULD LEAD TO THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS THAT ARE DRIVING REFS AWAY FROM THE GAME.IF YOU LOOK IN THE FIXTURE LIST SENT OUT EACH MONTH "TBA" IS REFFING MORE AND MORE GAMES EACH WEEK SO PLEASE LETS BE MORE POSITIVE AND GET BEHIND THE REFS. THEN HOPEFULLY MORE WILL WANT TO TAKE IT UP CAUSE IF WE DONT LEAGUES WILL HAVE TO GET SMALLER :thumbsup::yahoo: :drink:

it was not my intention to upset referees im aware there is a shortage of refs and i do not wish to put any prospective refs off in general the refs are of a good standard however like all of us some make mistakes I just wondered if some also went into games already against some sides or players i apologise if i have offended any refs.

Guest Dermot

Nicely put Postman Pat,it was a bit of a daft question though.

As a ref (in my opinion) its best to go into each game as if you havnt been in charge of the teams before with a clean sheet,and if the players remember you hopefully its for good reasons.

I cant see any Refs sitting at home on a Friday night preparing themselves for a bad game against a team that they might dislike,even if they were a pain in the arse the last time out! ;0) :wacko:

Some Referee`s may dislike some teams and also like other teams, but in my experience you do not get enough time when making instant decisions as to your likes or dislikes, I always approach the game in the same manner and if I let my likes and dislikes influence any decisions then I am sure i would not still be reffing as I would be dishonest to the game of football, which in my opinion referee`s are the best supporters of the game there are. It`s why we do it.

I hope this makes sense.

I agree frustration does play a big part but some refs are not willing to answer simple questions when asked often telling you to GO AWAY surely respect is a two way street as has been said we are all there for fun and to do our best be that as aplayer or a ref.

Stig

Surely there's got to be a balance? Saying you don't have time to answer questions on the pitch can only put a wall between you and the players. I know that rugby is a different game but rugby referees talk to players throughout the game - even to the point of telling players what to do while the game is in progress.

The two best refereeing performances I've seen in the last twelve months have both been from refs that have talked to the players. I've mentioned Patrick Wellington's performance in the Penryn Millbrook game last season a few times - the only time there could have been a problem he got two players to walk half the length of the pitch with him for a lecture to but all through that walk he was already talking to them. By the time they'd reached the half way line it was job done. When he finally had to caution a player for a poor tackle, this was the only time the ref stopped talking; he just waved the card and restarted the game. The player in question accepted it and also got on with it with no probs whatsoever.

Early this season I watched a match where the referee was anticipating the worst of challenges reminding players 'nothing silly lads' before a 'tackle' was made. Unfortunately, I don't remeber this guy's name but again he seemed to make refereeing look easy.

I agree when you're getting real anger directed straight at you that 'Go Away' is probably the best course - you may even save a player getting carded but perhaps if more refs were prepared to talk from the first whistle it might not get to that stage? The players ahve to play there part as well and not see a ref prepared to talk as an excuse to give him even more grief. Now that may be a problem:-)

Guest Postie Pidge

Referee saying "go away" to a player, Player disputing a decision using all kinds of expletives. Referee is being polite in comparison

When the referee is notified of a forthcoming fixture, do they not have the right to decline it?

If that is the case there should be no problem!!!!!!!!!

And any teams who don't get a regular referee appointment should look at themselves first before using the so called blame everyone else culture of today.

YOU LIVE AND LEARN, I SUPPOSE.

I OFFICIATED A PARTICULAR CLUB IN DUCHY DIV 2 EARLIER THIS SEASON IN ONE OF THEIR AWAY MATCHES. IN PREVIOUS SEASONS I HAD ALWAYS FOUND ONE OR TWO PARTICULAR PLAYERS VERY HOSTILE TOWARDS ME SO I MADE A POINT OF SHARPENING MY PENCIL BEFORE I LEFT HOME. (JUST IN CASE).

INSTEAD OF WHAT I WAS EXPECTING, I WAS WARMLY WELCOMED BY RUSSELL HALE AND SHAUN EDGE, THE NEW TEAM MANAGERS (AND FORMER REFEREES) AND WAS SUBJECTED TO ALMOST NO DISSENT AT ALL FROM THEIR PLAYERS.

I HAVE ALSO HAD VERY SIMILAR ENCOUNTERS WITH TWO VERY INFAMOUS CLUBS THIS YEAR HAVING PREVIOUSLY EXPERIENCED HOSTILITIES BUT FINDING OUT VERY QUICKLY THAT IT NEVER PAYS TO BE PREJUDICIAL TOWARDS TEAMS.

EVEN THE WORST OFFENDERS TRULY HAVE A LEVEL OF RESPECT TOWARDS MATCH OFFICIALS.

IF US REFEREES EXPECT PLAYERS TO "GET OVER IT AND GET ON WITH THE GAME" THEN WE SHOULD ALL DO LIKEWISE.

THIS SEASON HAS, SO FAR, BEEN MY MOST ENJOYABLE BY A LONG, LONG WAY.

I was disappointed to read that you thought that you may have expected a tough time officiating one of our matches. Our disciplinary record over recent seasons has in my opinion been very good (only two yellows and two reds during the whole of last season in particular).

However I am also pleased to read that your concerns were not justified. Discipline has been one of the key messages from our new management team this year, obviously in part due to their previous roles as referees.

at the end of the day refs dont get paid bugger all and do the job because they want to, just like we all play because we want to! if they werent there then we would be sat at home on a saturday afternoon(sunday morning for some) watching grandstand.

they all make mistakes as do players and all other regular people alike.

EVER TUREND IT ROUND

are there any teams who go into a match knowing they dislike the ref they have appointed to them??

not really very nice to think about is it!!

like i said what would u rather do on a saturday afternoon?? sit on ur backside doing nothing or have a bloke(or woman) ref ur match and maybe make the odd mistake(like im sure u will do in the same game)

LATERS!

I can't believe this discussion has been going on for 4 days and Anita (tag-line "don't barrack the ref") hasn't had anything to say about it! Has someone tied her to a chair and gagged her?? :P

I think assistant refs get more abuse than refs. The ref has only got 20-odd people who can have a go at him, the lino cops it from players and supporters alike. Judging from some of the things Anita has told me spectators can be quite vicious sometimes.

Guest Urban Spaceman

at the end of the day refs dont get paid bugger all and do the job because they want to, just like we all play because we want to! if they werent there then we would be sat at home on a saturday afternoon(sunday morning for some) watching grandstand.

cat i get ur point but grandstand isnt on anymore :drink:

I'm still alive :-) I'll be sober by sat truro at home :-D I'll be home by thursday so have more to say then :-P

I'm still alive :-) I'll be sober by sat truro at home :-D I'll be home by thursday so have more to say then :-P