Cornwall Football Forum

AFC ST AUSTELL v ASCOT UTD - SAT 28TH FEBRUARY 3.00pm KO - FA VASE 6TH ROUND

I would like to wish St Austell all the best would like to of been there but i will be watching Godolphin Atlantic playing Ivybridge should be a good game . I think this will be as far as St Austell go in the comp for this year im going for a 1 -3 scoreline sorry Midlandwhite hope you have  a good day out and your team does you proud but i think by 4 45 pm there will be a lot of unhappy faces there hope im wrong .

Sorry Steve, fortunately you got it wrong today. We were poor 1st half and just superb 2nd half - many happy faces in the bar singing Happy Birthday to me. What a day !

Just like to say what a day a big congratulations to the comittee and helpers on putting on such a superb event. To Laffs for his team talk that woke the boys up for the second half what a performance.And fot the fan's who got soaked but stayed and sung the little cornish hearts out. This morning I'm very proud to be a lilillywhite. And one thing a big thank you to all the comments from all the other clubs and Helston Afc for taking a detour and coming into the club for a beer. Bring it on can't wait for the draw. Yepeeeeeeeeeee.

Cracking cup tie, St Austell started the brighter, and got in front through Giles. Almost immediately Ascot were level after they beat the offside trap with the back line very high and a lot of space for their quick forwards to run into, the ball across was slightly behind the striker, who did well to sort his feet out and wrap his left foot around the ball to caress it into the bottom corner past the wrong-footed Chapman. After that St Austell created chances, but we're very few and far between, however they gave the ball away often when trying to feed their forwards, allowing Ascot to hit them on the break, which, apart from the inswinging corners, was their biggest threat. Just when you thought they'd got through the worst of it and were going in level at the break, a poor clearance on the edge of the box fell to an Ascot player who calmly stroked it into the bottom corner leaving the 'keeper with no chance. Couple minutes later and the ref blew for half time.
Whatever was said at half time definitely had the desired affect, as straight from the off St Austell got in their opponents face, didn't allow them any time on the ball and used possession far better. St Austell got their reward soon after half time with a fantastic strike from outside the box from Slateford, making up for his earlier mistake. St Austell continued to press and dominate possession, with the ball rarely finding itself in their own half, and any danger was from wide areas and was easily dealt with. Think I remember Ascot having one shot from about 40 yards that just stayed inside the ground. Meanwhile at the other end, Eddy blazed over from close range after doing the hard work and creating an opportunity for himself, then rounded the keeper shortly after but left himself a little too much to do and found the outside of the post. Then one of the best strikes you would of seen from the left back cannoned back off the bar, with the 'keeper absolutely rooted to the spot. Would have been talked about for a long time.
However they weren't to be denied, as the persistent Eddy chased down a ball that was creeping back into the 18 yard box, the keeper electing to let it run rather than clear his lines, and Eddy got his foot to the ball as the keeper was about to pick it up. Linesman and ref both waved play on for Eddy to run it into the empty net. From then on St Austell played keep ball and hit the corners to run the clock down, but never looked in danger once they'd got back in front.
As a neutral, an excellent day out despite the conditions. I expect there were a few sore heads this morning. Well done to all at St Austell, hopefully I'll get the chance to come up for the semi final. Doing Cornwall, the town and themselves proud.

How is the pitch and forecast looking - all good for the game? Looking forward to it.

Please save our travelling fans 2 spaces behind the goal, roughly 10 feet to the side of the right hand post, plus somewhere to hang our 2 flags.

Many thanks.

Ascot Lad your club' s players, officials and players were a credit to your club. Both during and after the match in the clubhouse, although obviously very disappointed they were gracious in defeat and showed great sportsmanship. Hopefully you all had a safe trip home and the best of luck for the rest of the season. It was a pleasure to have you as our visitors. This is what sport especially football should be about.