Cornwall Football Forum

A few questions on laws of football

Where can you take a throw in from?

Obviously from the touchline. Yesterday at the St Day vs Troon game a player tried to take a throw from behind the railings and was rightly made to take it again. It made me think, if the railings weren't there and he had a long throw, could he have taken it from further back? If there are no railings, does it matter? What about the bank at Bickland or Dracaena?

Does the size of the pitch markings make a difference?

Noticing the pitch markings at Camelford recently, and those at St Keverne, they were a different thickness. Does it really matter or is there any kind of minimum/maximum size for pitch markings. It would certainly make a difference for contentious decisions on if the ball went out for a throw in.

Does the size or style of goalposts make a difference?

Most teams, in fact probably all teams have round goalposts but once upon a time I believe possibly Marazion were the only Combo team, probably the last to have square, wooden goalposts. Does it make a difference? Also, is there a regulation size for the thickness of the posts? I remember when Penryn had their new grey posts, they seemed really thick and I believe Mullion had really thin goalposts about 15 years or more ago. I could be wrong as my memory isn't what it was. I would be interested to know if this is the case, and if any club still has square posts.

Probably got too much thinking time with the odd questions but if you don't ask you'll never know.

I'm currently looking on the FA website and it doesn't say anything about how far away you have to be from the touchline when you take the throw in. It only says that you have to take the throw in from where the ball went out and that the opponents have to be at least 2 meters away from the thrower. It would seem ridiculous taking it too far away from the touchline though.

I can't see a minimum or maximum number for the size of pitch markings, so not too sure on that one. Not that I take much notice of them anyway, but the grounds I've played at in my year and a half of playing men's football the pitch markings all seem the same size in terms of thickness for me.

In terms of the goalposts you can have different styles, that was something I looked at on the FA website. Here's a link so you can see them. - http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-1---the-field-of-play

As an old ancient ex ref, I seem to remember a player was required to take a through-in within 3ft (in English) of the touch line.

On another point of interest,,,, what ever happened to the "flags" on the half way line, ??  I do know these , unlike the corner flags were NOT a part of the field of play, and were normally placed 3ft away from the touch line.

I think there was a "law" stating that the width of the markings, had to be the same width of the goal posts .

Regards the throw in, the law states that the ball should enter the field of play where it went out, there is no distance behind the line set, so yes a ball can be thrown in from behind the railings provided it enters the field of play where it went out.

Line marking is a min of 2inches and max of 5inches (old money) and as you rightly say the goal line has to be the same width as the goal posts.

I wasn't aware that a throw could be taken from behind the railings. Does that mean a throw in could be taken from the main stand at Falmouth (as it's the highest stand that's closest to the pitch)?

Regarding throw ins, did you know that you can now have both feet on the field of play just make sure that both heels are touching the line when the ball is released !! why do we keep changing laws !!

MQx

Martin, its been like it for a very long time.

The lines must be the same width and no more than 12cm (5in). (Page 7 LOTG)

The goalposts can be unto 12cm (5in) wide and can be round, elliptical, square or rectangular but the width must match the width of the lines. They must also be white. (Page 9-11 LOTG)

Regarding throw ins, did you know that you can now have both feet on the field of play just make sure that both heels are touching the line when the ball is released !! why do we keep changing laws !!

MQx

Martin, its been like it for a very long time.

The lines must be the same width and no more than 12cm (5in). (Page 7 LOTG)

The goalposts can be unto 12cm (5in) wide and can be round, elliptical, square or rectangular but the width must match the width of the lines. They must also be white. (Page 9-11 LOTG)

Thanks Bighairydave, I wasn`t aware of the throw in rule changes until i attended the "referee`s assistants" course, I just thought it was another example of a rule change that was not required.  If you keep both feet behind the line it is much easier to see and regulate, now you are allowed to have both feet on and over the line, seems silly to me but I`m a bit old fashioned I guess !!!! :SM_carton_y:  :thumbsup:

MQx

If a team doesn't have a pitch boundary, how far do you go to determine the field of play?

And what about somersault throw ins? I saw one in a South West Counties final at St Blazey between Devon and Cornwall. Needless to say the arrogance of the Devonians didn't pay off and went home with their tails between their legs. Long live Trelawny!

Regards the throw in, the law states that the ball should enter the field of play where it went out, there is no distance behind the line set, so yes a ball can be thrown in from behind the railings provided it enters the field of play where it went out.
Line marking is a min of 2inches and max of 5inches (old money) and as you rightly say the goal line has to be the same width as the goal posts.

You can not take a throw in from behind the railings as you are not on the field of play, you have to be infront of them if they are present!

This "field of play quote is a red herring so to speak" the only reference to the field of play in the relevant law is" the player should face the field of play and no mention at all about railings, please look up the LOAF it`s on the CCFA web site for all to see.

Martin the feet on the touchline has always been there it is not a new amendement.

Pointers, you cannot take a throw in from "on the field of play" that would be a foul throw ie a foot completely over the touchline and on the field of play.

The field of play is designated by the outside edge of the touchline and goalline, therefore all throw ins are taken from off the field of play. 

I appreciate that Mr. manning but I would be interested to know how many players know this law, as I have said previously, most players, managers and even old style"linesmen" that I know will state that the feet need to be behind the line!!
I certainly always used to take throw ins with my feet behind the line and as a pre-lim coach many years ago we were always told to teach young players to keep feet behind the line as well!
MQx

Darren,sorry to dissapoint you but I am not always correct,I can make mistakes as everybody else can and of course I do make them.
Al I have and do referee where there are pitch surround railings/fences and yes I have allowed a throw in to be taken from behind the said railings, if you can show me in LOAF where it states you cannot I will certainly change my approach to that. To add to that I have officiated at level 3 if that helps you assess my experience.