Cornwall Football Forum

trouble at truro?

Guest Urban Spaceman

Guest Urban Spaceman

I did see some posts on Bath's forum relating to this but they appear to have been removed as I can no longer view them. They also mentioned that a Bath Supporter was attacked on the train back from Truro rather than at Truro station. I really hope that the rumours are unfounded but, if they do turn out to be accurate, I hope that the club will take action against the individuals involved.

my son posted on our fourum about the trouble at the train station but deleted it untill more information was made available he had a phone call from a mate about it but things can get out of hand so whithdrew post we had a report about brick wielding youths threatening our supporters coach but not officially confirmed im sure it is not your supporters but at big games you get a minority of trouble makers any way all the best for the future and when im in falmouth next and your at home ill see ya

2 quotes from truros website

Just had a chat in a pub with a chap who says his son "Neill" got assaulted at truro train station and is hospital with a broken jaw and possible fractured skull?

it was definately on the train station platform. i was there with my dad with about 15 other bath city fans and we were waiting for a train at about 18.20. me and my dad were also being called cheats on the way to the train station.

Some more statments from Bath forum. Doesn't look good does it? Hope it was just some randoms and not regular Truro fans :c:

Guest tom@white tigers

Terrible news. The game was so good and the support was to. It's a shame to see the rivalry went too far. Truro fans are always very friendly people but the fans who did this are an embarrasment to Truro City FC. Luckely this sort of problem is rare at the club and is the only assault i can remember. Get well soon Neil.

Guest TruroLad

local boy, up at whitehawk last season the Truro fans were provoked by members of brightons firm who decided to show up to the game, when your drunk, passionate and provoked you react, so the whitehawk game was not our fault.

but a group attacking a single fan is just cowardly, but who knows what was said to provoke such an attack, we wont know the facts for a while yet i dont think.

Official Statement From Truro City FC

It has come to the clubs attention that there have been reports of several incidents following Saturday’s FA Cup tie with Bath City. The club understands the police are investigating an incident at Truro railway station on Saturday evening and until we have discussions with them it would be inappropriate to comment.

Truro City FC would like to remind everyone that the club operates a zero tolerance policy concerning both foul & abusive language and violent behaviour, both within the club and from those representing it externally. The club takes a very dim view on anyone contravening this policy, and anyone found doing so can expect to be banned from all Truro City FC matches.

We would like to stress that 99.9% of those who attended Saturday’s game did so with the right intentions and supported the club in the manner we have become accustomed to over the past couple of years; and again we thank them.

Kevin Heaney

Truro City FC Chairman

Guest tom@white tigers

Yeah well said Mr. Heaney. It would be wrong to say anyting until after the police have investigated and the full facts are known. I agree that 99.9% of fans were superb on saturday. But these have been let down by the few who just went a bit over the top.

Guest Peppermint

Very sensible comments from Mr Heaney.

I am a bit perplexed by Tom's remarks - saying they went a bit over the top! Causing that degree of injuries is not a little bit over the top it is downright thuggery.

If moving up the football ladder is going to bring this element to games then it is very worrying.

As said by the Truro City chairman let the police do their job,and lets hope the person who carried out this assault are quickly brought to justice.As things are at the moment no one knows if this cowardly act was committed by a football supporter or some other lowlife that are seen these days in most of our cities and towns.These days it seems common place to attack some innocent person without any reason for it.

If by any chance it is a football supporter,I hope he is caught,brought to justice and punished,and banned as a football supporter not only by Truro,but everywhere in the county.

Let's hope justice is not only done,but seen to be done.

KIT 65.

This is off the Bath City website

City fan hospitalised following Truro Railway Station attack (1/10/07)

City supporter Neil Weston was left with a broken jaw and fractured ribs after being beaten-up following City's 1-0 FA Cup victory over Truro City on Saturday. The incident took place at Truro railway station when the 36-year old and his 56-year old Father-in-law were attacked at around 6.10pm. Mr Weston underwent an operation yesterday to have four metal plates inserted in his jaw. Police are appealing for witnesses to the attack. The first suspect, a white male is in his late forties, he is 6ft 3 tall with a stocky build, and short cropped greying hair. He was wearing a green polo shirt. The second man was in his mid-30s, and was 5ft 9 tall with short cropped dark hair and was of average build. He was wearing a yellow mustard t-shirt.

Witnesses can contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40.

Mr Heaney,

I did not attend the match on saterday because of other comitments,

in your comments, you mention the use of foul laguage,

A friend of mine who did attend the match stated that the foul language from the Bath players duing the match was to say the least discusting, does the use of foul language apply to the players ? if so why did the referee do nothing about it.

Maybe this should have been delt with by the club & Referee on the day, bearing in mind Truro city is a well run club & you are now geting a lot of Families with young children to your games, therefore such bad language could well turn these families away, through no fault of yours.

Hammers :c: :c:

Guest Peppermint

Hammers - talking yesterday to one or two people who saw the game on Saturday they stated that the language from some of the more alcohol filled Truro supporters left a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately the language used by players is not censured by most referees. In the Wadebridge v Stoke Gabriel match on Saturday the captain of the visitors was heard all over the ground shouting obscenities. the referee, who had a good game otherwise, chose to ignore it.

Peppermint,

I am very sorry to hear that bearing in mind that Mr Heaney has gone onto this forum stating that foul or abusive Language will not be tolerated,

so this now brings into question Truro City's policy on such matters, & they will need to address this very quickly, or they could find themselves with an element of suporters that are going to give the club a bad name, & that in its self would be a great pity, for the majority of Truro city suporters who are well behaved,

No doubt if Mr Heaney reads my concerns I am sure that he will address them.

Hammers :c: :c:

Truro City, "the saviours of Cornish soccer, the breakers of innocent people".

Coopsie what a stupid thing to say.Lets not point the finger at any club or supporter until the culprit of this very nasty assault has been found.For all we know the person who did this may not have any connection with Truro or it's football club.Let's hope the culprit is found very quick and brought to justice,and if it is found to be a supporter of Truro City football club I will be the first to agree with you.

KIT 65.

Guest Peppermint

Hammers - I congratulate Mr Heaney and his stance regarding the incident and his press release was very sensible.

I am sure he will do something about the unsavoury element of the supporters as well. Truro City can do without this sort of support I am sure.

Guest Sport Lover

In the Mousehole V Falmouth game the Falmouth Captain was swearing all the time at the ref and the ref choose to ignore it. This is wrong, it sets an example to younger players and fans that your allowed to swear and get away with it.

That was a low thing to say, Coopsie. Do you that the thuggish idiots involved had anything to do with Truro City?

The name of the thread sounds about right to me: trouble in Truro, yes, but no reason to indict Truro City.

Here's to the criminals being caught, punished, and never heard from again.

In defence of Truro City, there comes a time when any ambitious club will attract the unsavoury elements of our society as gates increase. It would be easy to criticise the club and the police who probably have not had to deal with that type of problem in the past. Possibly naively thinking ‘it will never happen here’.

It is in both their hands to decide policy of how to police not only the game, but its prematch and the aftermath, such as travelling to and from home either by foot, car, coach and train. The club must not put off casual fans from wanting to return to watch another game just because of a few idiots.

My simple suggestion is that Truro contact Plymouth Argyle and ask how they control these types of situations as they have had several years of experience. And especially for Truro who if they continue their progress up the pyramid will automatically attract bigger gates and yes more unruly elements.

It is a wake up call for both the club and the police - but they have the means to at least alleviate some of the problems. Training, surveillance and planning are just a few examples of how to deal with these types of situations. And yes it will cost money.

Yes it was a high profile game and at the moment they are rare. But if Truro City is to progress on the pitch then they must progress off it.

I regret to criticise City, but they do not help matters by allowing consumption of alcohol within the Ground. There is an aggressive element there, and although the thugs may not have been there during the game, I understand that the visiting Supporters were accused of being cheats so possibly events had some bearing on the attack.

It is a great pity, but just reading their Website lately it seems there may be a hardcore element growing there. The tragedy is that Cornish Fans generally are not known for being thuggish and I hope that Kevin Heaney's ambitions will not be dampened because of some mindless idiots.

:drink: Correct me if I am wrong Chairman, but isn't there some rule about not serving alchohol during the match. I remember from a former life that when applying for a licence, we had to show that alchohol would not be served during the match, which may be only advisory from the FA but think there may be something there. :drink:

Pz have a sign up at their entrance saying anyone drinking in the ground will be ejected.

I was at a match at Illogan when a linesman pointed out that there were people drinking from glass glasses (not plastic) to the ref. The ref ordered that they drink up and go take their glasses back to the bar before restarting the match.

Mind you I was at Perranporth this season and there must have been 40 people on the sidelines drinking from bottles and glasses with not a mumor from the ref. I know clubs must make money from bar sales, but what happens if a spectator took execption to an action on the pitch. What have they got in their hands, a weapon. Not saying it would happen but you never know.

Another team in the Combo where people sit on the sidelines with a pint is Mullion. They shoud all use plastic glasses.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The jungle drums are beating and word is that some so called 'City' fans are stating that the incident at the train station was Plymouth fans returning from the PAFC v Wolves match - This would go against the Bath fans being called 'cheats' as a Plymouth fan would not have any knowledge of events at the match.

However, as the incident took place on the eastbound platform, there is the possibility that the attackers were not actually from Truro if they were catching a train to say St Austell, Par, Bodmin etc. Those responsible were probably at the match and may or may not be those also involved in the incidents at the ground. I hope that the CCTV cameras were actually working and that those responsible are caught and punished.

My past experiences in higher level non-league matches include witnessing disturbances, the lack of policing and stewards at 'big' matches, with easy access to booze has lead to all sorts of unsavoury situations at places as diverse as Mangotsfield, Burgess Hill, Wealdstone, Leighton Town and Canvey Island. What genunine Truro fans will now have to be careful of, is that news travels fast and those upcountry will now see all Truro fans as fair game.

ps. I'm glad I went to Wendron !

Truro's a city, hence the team name!

Don't know if this is directed at me, but I know Truro is a city, but I liked the alliteration of all the "t"s (town, trouble, team) so went with a synonym.

And I know it looks bad reading the forums; I'm mortified for the Club, but still hoping it turns out there's no connection.

From BBC WEBSITE

Uefa to probe Celtic fan attack

Celtic got the better of AC Milan in Glasgow

Uefa is set to review an incident where a Celtic fan appeared to strike AC Milan goalkeeper Dida during the Champions League clash at Celtic Park.

Celtic's Scott McDonald scored a late winner to make it 2-1 and the fan ran across Dida's path before striking him.

Dida appeared to chase the fan as he ran away but then collapsed and was eventually taken away on a stretcher.

Celtic could now face the prospect of Uefa sanctions including losing points or expulsion from the competition.

Dida was hit by a flare two seasons ago during a Champions League quarter-final between AC Milan and Inter Milan. On that occasion the game was abandoned and Uefa awarded a 5-0 aggregate victory to AC Milan, who progressed to the semi-finals.

Inter were subsequently fined £132,000 by Uefa and forced to play their next four European games behind closed doors.

The incident at Celtic Park marred an otherwise successful night for Celtic who avenged their defeat to the champions last season.

BBC Sport's Roddy Forsyth, who was at the game, said: "I don't see how Celtic will get away with this one."

Celtic manager Gordon Stachan refused to talk about the incident after the match.

Now that is silly, the keeper received no more than a hand placed upon his face in a pitying manner and not a slap or a punch. The keeper went after the fella and then decided to go down clutching his face. John Terry gets an elbow and broken cheekbone and plays on.

The two incidents at Celtic Park and Treyew Road / Rail Station do not compare, a Batch City fan received very serious injuries and was hospitalised, the keeper received a damaged ego.

Guest Peppermint

Judge - the rights and wrongs of the keeper do not excuse the idiot supporter and his antics running onto the field. Where was the stewards to allow this and so much for the often quoted nonsense about the supporters of Scottish football are the best in the World.

Correct, The Celtic fan shouldn't of been on or anywhere near the pitch and has ruined what was a great win for Celtic on the night, but the actions of Dida, well you gotta laugh! The bloke should of been shown the red card for a blatant dive, which could of provoked members of the crowd even more. Made me want to give him a kick myself the cheating wuss!

I wasn't excusing the Celtic fan, just pointing out that the incident does not compare with a man being seriously injured and hospitalised

Postie Pidge Posted Yesterday, 10:58 PM

At least the trouble isn't as serious as what apparently happened at Celtic tonight!

Perhaps Postie Pidge would like to amend his view on this matter ?

Video of the incident can be seen here - http://www.theoffside.com/europe/champions...eeper-dida.html

Guest Postie Pidge

Too busy delivering the rush of mail before the strike tomorrow. I heard that a fan ran on to the pitch and hit Dida. I hadn't seen the clip and I assumed this happened before Celtic scored the winner (sub goalie letting in the crucial goal). But what a fu**ing pansy. Hardly a touch and when he realised he wasn't going to catch him, he falls down.

Peppermint,

yes I agree with you the fan should not have been on the pitch,

I never thought that I would ever agree with what the Judge says,

But he is correct, when I saw the fan run up to the keeper, & he hardly touched him I said to my Wife how could the keeper go down like that, the fan hardly touched him,,

this is unfortunately the face of modern Football players in particular Continental, they feign injury, & most times go to the touch line & run back onto the pitch,Also if a player is badly injured, he would not roll all over the place, he would most times stay still as much as possible.

Hammers :o:c: :c:

Regarding the recent violence at Truro Station.

Every club in the land has probably had isolated incidents of violence be it at the ground or away from it as in this case.

Most clubs would struggle to cut out trouble 100%. As clubs improve and their support grows, there is always the potential for more of the 'thug' element.

Let's hope that this is just an isolated case.

:drink: Correct me if I am wrong Chairman, but isn't there some rule about not serving alchohol during the match. I remember from a former life that when applying for a licence, we had to show that alchohol would not be served during the match, which may be only advisory from the FA but think there may be something there. :drink:

No drink was served during the match at Truro last Saturday.There was an anouncement to this effect

that was given out on the p/a system about 10 mins before the game started.

KIT 65.