Cornwall Football Forum

Naughty Supporters Banned!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry the adverts and videos kept popping up so I've copied it from the website.

Truro City have banned a number of supporters following incidents at their game at Dunstable Town on Saturday.

A club statement from chairman Peter Masters this afternoon said: "Following the serious disturbance at the match on Saturday involving smoke bombs, flares, the incident in the Dunstable Officials' boardroom and subsequent comments in the public domain, a decision has been taken to issue a number of interim bans which will come to force before the weekend.

"The ban will mean that those alleged to be involved will not be allowed to attend any football or functions at the club premises situated at Treyew Road, Truro until 12th January 2015.

"The ban may also affect their attendance to away matches in both league and non-league depending on the discretion of the host Club as they will be notified of this decision.

"The Football Association, Cornwall Football Association and the Southern League are all aware of the action taken by the Club. It remains to be seen if any league points are deducted.

"If you wish to make representation in this matter, please do so in writing addressed to the Secretary c/o Truro City Football Club, Treyew Road, Truro Cornwall TR1 2TH."

It is understood flares were let off by some City supporters and at the end of the game, which City won 2-1, an upset Mr Masters banned the players from thanking the fans for their support as it would have appeared to condone their actions.

A supporter then burst into the Dunstable boardroom to confront Mr Masters resulting in a heated argument.

Read more: http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Truro-City-ban-supporters-flares-let-Dunstable/story-24646560-detail/story.html#ixzz3K6BgHwUD

Follow us: @westbriton on Twitter | westbriton on Facebook

Rubbish, massive over reaction!!

Hope the supporters in question stick to their guns and also attend away matches. These are the sort of passionate fun people that some clubs need. You need to create some sort of atmosphere to get behind the team.

Of course unless you're talking about a fella with the drum and in that instance then all instruments should be banned from football

I think the ban is fair enough. Anything more would be a little harsh. I'm sure the supporters didn't actually realise that what they were doing didn't comply with FA regulations and was illegal. They didn't mean to harm anyone (which in fact they didn't anyway). I'm sure it's a mistake that won't happen again. The supporters are very passionate and get behind the team week in and week out, travelling hundreds of miles in the process. They are always up for a laugh. They create the atmosphere every week which I'm sure keeps the team going and really drives them on.

As for the drum. A lot of clubs across the country allow them to be taken in to grounds. For me it doesn't work when you have someone trying to play the drum when in fact they blatantly can't. If you have someone that knows what they are doing then it can go really well and create a decent atmosphere, from my experience anyway.

Rubbish, massive over reaction!!

Hope the supporters in question stick to their guns and also attend away matches. These are the sort of passionate fun people that some clubs need. You need to create some sort of atmosphere to get behind the team.

Of course unless you're talking about a fella with the drum and in that instance then all instruments should be banned from football

I am not referring to the man with the drum. The use of flares at a football is somewhat foolhardy and potentially dangerous. I am surprised you support this action.

I was waiting for someone to start this thread, saw it on Monday but didn't feel it was worthy of comment... until now.

Newquay had a drummer a few years back, but we lost almost every match he played at, so was eventually banned by fellow supporters. The smoke grenades cause no harm to anyone in an open area with very few spectators. However, if the smoke interferes with the visibility of the match for players and officials as well as other spectators, it will become a safety issue.

Fireworks and flares are different matter, they are potentially dangerous and should never be allowed at any sporting event. It is nothing new, the events at Cardiff in 1993 led to the death of a supporter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/flare-kills-football-fan-at-world-cup-qualifying-match-1505057.html

Agree that the fans shouldn't have let the smoke bombs off and Nemesis makes a valid point about the potential to affect visibility on the field of play etc. Another fan clearly over stepped the mark by going off the deep end in the boardroom. However a few things trouble me about the club's reaction, the chairman was well aware what a couple of fans intended to do having stood with the away support in the first half - one of our officials could've had 'a quiet word', Dunstable had no complaints and thought our fans were great and wished their's could get behind their team in the same way too. No complaints or intervention from the steward either. No one has actually been informed they are banned yet other than reading about it in the local paper, and worryingly some of the bans apparently relate to comments 'in the public domain' ie the fans' own facebook page, so be careful what you write on here lads otherwise Commendant Turd might get the hump with you too......

http://www.trurocityfc.net/news/dunstable-town-fc-v-truro-city-at-creasey-park-drive-dunstable-bedfordshire-lu6-1bb-1336559.html

Only a small statement but the club confirmed that they had issued out seven interim bans that will come in to effect as of now. They also confirmed that the match referee reported the incident as extraordinary and that the FA are now investigating the incident.

I think the ban itself was probably just about fair for those who did use the smoke bombs. However, it has to be taken in to consideration that those who did set off the smoke bombs didn't intend to harm anyone and I'm sure they didn't realise that what they were doing was illegal. This is an extremely rare occurrence and I'm sure that it won't happen again. All the fans try and do week in week out is get behind the team, these supporters are very passionate and go the right way about doing it. Not on this occasion though obviously.

As for the seven people banned, not sure what they are all for, and it's something we probably won't find out. I can't imagine it would be the drummer, that would be ridiculous. I can only imagine it was those who held the smoke bombs and the person responsible for entering the Dunstable boardroom. Don't have a clue what that incident was all about though. And then their is the comments in the public domain, haven't seen those comments so can't really say whether I agree or disagree with it.

The previous regime was just an absolute farce. I think in the end KH tried to find any kind of reason to ban someone, purely because he knew nobody liked him.

Agree that the fans shouldn't have let the smoke bombs off and Nemesis makes a valid point about the potential to affect visibility on the field of play etc. Another fan clearly over stepped the mark by going off the deep end in the boardroom. However a few things trouble me about the club's reaction, the chairman was well aware what a couple of fans intended to do having stood with the away support in the first half - one of our officials could've had 'a quiet word', Dunstable had no complaints and thought our fans were great and wished their's could get behind their team in the same way too. No complaints or intervention from the steward either. No one has actually been informed they are banned yet other than reading about it in the local paper, and worryingly some of the bans apparently relate to comments 'in the public domain' ie the fans' own facebook page, so be careful what you write on here lads otherwise Commendant Turd might get the hump with you too......

A fair reflection on events.

There cannot be any comments,because no one has a clue who the seven fans are,that have been banned.

It's a waiting game now to see what will happen next e.g. a fine or points deduction. Also find it bemusing that the Dunstable stewards never stepped in and had a word. What else are they there for? If there is any further action going to be taken I'd like to think they'd do it sooner rather than later so we can put it all behind us.

The Dunstable steward never stepped in cos he's probably not trained in the law, etc. Like most clubs just a volunteer who puts on a yellow jacket every Saturday.

They should have some form of training, crowd control, basic first aid, finer points of the law, etc. They can then be awarded some form of certificate to say they are competent. They could even travel to away games to help the home side's stewards if needed.

I would've thought they do have some form of training, particularly in crowd control and first aid. Otherwise what is the point in them even being there? They wouldn't be much use otherwise, they would be there just to give directions around the ground and help people find places. I would've thought that if an incident like this happened at Treyew Road then it would be dealt with fairly quickly, as the stewards are well trained (they should be anyway) as they work at a nightclub.

I would've thought they do have some form of training, particularly in crowd control and first aid. Otherwise what is the point in them even being there? They wouldn't be much use otherwise, they would be there just to give directions around the ground and help people find places. I would've thought that if an incident like this happened at Treyew Road then it would be dealt with fairly quickly, as the stewards are well trained (they should be anyway) as they work at a nightclub.

There was no need for a Steward.Dont you get it.Thats why they did'nt step in.

Just football supporters creating a big loud atmosphere. :yahoo::drink::c::yahoo::drink::c:

Are you real St Darren? " I can't see what they've done wrong, 2flairs in a crowd of 20" I'll tell you what's wrong, I can't go to watch by beloved Wales play at the Millennium Stadium (I know it was the old ground but it's still in the memory)because in 1993 I was splattered in blood when an idiot let off a flair and killed a fellow fan just yards from were I was sitting.1 flair in a crowd of 73,000. I'd ban the idiot for life.

You're more likely to get hurt by a cup of coffee or tea than a flare!

If you've seen the picture, then there's a fella holding a flare with no one within 15 feet of him. If he's waving it around in peoples faces then fair enough, but he's just holding it up in the air.

I'm sorry for what you went through Welshboy, but look at the scheme of things, 73,000 people and about 20 people.

The whole thing has been massively overhyped in my mind and could so easily have been dealt with without fuss.

As there is a law (which I didn't know of until now) banning flares from football grounds, then PM was right to stop the team going to the fans at the end - they couldn't exactly single out the flare man and ignore him, so they had to go straight in - which means the Illegal act (technically) spoiled the rest of the Truro supporters from enjoying the thanks of the team at the end. We might think it is a silly law, but then some speed limits seem silly to me, but if I get caught exceeding them then I will get done and, funny this, the courts won't take into account that I don't agree with the speed limit in question: ditto the flare law. The club could not be seen to be condoning the flare even if privately any of the players or staff thought it was a bit of harmless fun (like I've said about the flares let off at Carharrack). PM made the right decision for the club: pity someone decided he had the right to barge into the boardroom (was it open to the public?) and have a go at PM whilst he was presumably with the home club officials. How embarrassing!

How heart warming, too, to hear that despite all this the Dunstable club fed the Truro supporters for free! What a nice gesture! Presumably the board room intruder benefitted from this hospitality?

I just hope that PM's actions are taken into consideration should there be any form of League or FA enquiry and that no points are lost, no fine imposed.

Going back to the Steward(s).

Let's for the sake of arguments take any local team - say Newquay.

They arrange a home friendly against a league team - say Liverpool.

They have a meeting before to sort out arrangements - stewards are needed. Who do they ask, supporters, reserve team players, etc to help.

Keen to be there for free, they get several of these people to volunteer.

The match starts, Liverpool supporters let off flares, a spectator is hurt.

Who is liable, the club as like every other club down here they have used volunteers to be stewards, something every club down here would do as they don't know any better.

How many of our local clubs know what the crowd limit is before we need stewards? Truro with crowds of 350 have stewards but if there is a local Boxing Day derby between Newquay and Godolphin where 500 turn up are there stewards?

Is there some rule book about stewards that clubs must know about?

As I have said before the steward at Dunstable and perhaps the ones at Truro are no more than supporters with green bibs on for the day with no form of training, etc. That is probably the reason they never stepped in and didn't know it was wrong to let off flares as it is such a rare occurence for someone to do so.

At truro's level I believe they need fully trained stewards who have undertaken some nvq training or something in crowd control!!

Basically they're fellas in lumo jackets and if truro were to have a conpetitive big game down here then they would probably need reinforcements.

But to answer the point before then I believe that the clubs at this level need fully trained stewards

I have to agree with TheolderIgetthebetterIwas. They've committed a silly act, something we all do at some point in our lives, nobody was hurt so let those who are banned serve their time and hopefully we can move on and in time forget about it.

I also agree with St Darren. With Truro being the league that they are in (Southern Premier), a high and good quality standard of football, semi professional league etc. we should really have stewards who are well trained in something that relates to crowd control or something similar. It's different in the South West Peninsula League where you probably can afford to have stewards who are just supporters wearing a yellow jacket.

Truro's stewards are trained considering they are nightclub staff. But if were to ever get a big fixture at Treyew Road then we would need extra bodies along with the local police.

I don't go to many South West Peninsula League games. However the games I do go to there doesn't seem to be much of an atmosphere. Although sometimes I don't mind that, can have a quiet night out watching the game, hopefully it being a decent one. I'm sure this incident is a one off though. Truro City have some very lively, loud and jolly supporters. Definitely up there in having the best non league fans in the south west.

There were no flares, fireworks etc, there were however "Smoke Sticks" emitting just that "Coloured Smoke" the wind direction ensured that at no time did any smoke drift onto the field of play, at no time was there a break in play because of it. I was told that before letting the smoke sticks off the wind direction was assessed - no one was put in danger or abused. The steward next to the incident did nothing during the game, there was no need for him to, he remained motionless watching the game.

Could it be the steward only got involved after the game if asked what happened at his end? There was no immediate confrontation at the final whistle until the steward accused a spectator of being the ringleader when he had nothing to do with what went on behind the goal. The Boardroom incident should never have happened but would it have occurred had it not been for the steward getting it wrong with his accusation. No one at Dunstable would accept the Truro supporter was NOT involved with proceedings, I told them that as did many others, there was a forget it response but no apology. Spectators world wide show their solidarity if one of their numbers is under attack (in this matter verbally).

Apart from what happened after the final whistle, I put the days actions as a demonstration of supporter humour, these fans average 487 miles per away game supporting Truro City, they are welcomed nationwide receiving many acclaims for their friendliness and vocal support - Saturday saw Dunstable enjoying their second highest attendance this season, only highflying Weymouth attracted more even so that attendance only bettered that for the Truro game by 51.

This is what a Dunstable official had to say

" On this note mention must be made of Truro’s simply magnificent support. It was loud, it was optimistically jubilant but lacked some originality. To chant that Dunstable is ‘just a bus stop near Luton’ is wearisome, and the forecast that they were ‘the famous Truro City an’ we’re goin’ a Wemberlee, ah Wemberlee, ah Wemberlee’ may have referred to the( unrelated )FA Trophy.

For future reference they might have sung ‘you’ve never won in the Trophy’ at us, which would be factual if a little hurtful. But let me be plain here, I admired both the numerical support as well as the noise they made. But there were a couple of ‘bads’ namely the employment of flares or smoke bombs, and the perhaps unintentionally partial disassembly of our covered terracing behind the goal with rhythmic banging to amplify the chanting.

I do not deplore such exuberance as these chaps had come hundreds of miles and when you think we took half a dozen supporters to nearby Biggleswade it puts such things in proportion. The damage was on inspection relatively superficial, but the real damage was something I will refer to later. "

The reference to later was what followed after the final whistle.

YES there were errors of judgement but the West Briton has not done itself any favours sensationalising events they allegedly were not attending, hearsay is not evidence.

The fact someone took a couple of hand held smoke sticks with them suggests they were thinking of turning the fans day out into some harmless fun, it is unfortunate it backfired, the club has to be seen to take some interim action but years of goodwill stretching back a decade or so at the higher level of football deserves consideration when the football authorities reach a decision, the club should not suffer, the fans slipped up on this occasion, they too should not suffer for the smoke sticks incident. I am confident the Truro City support will continue to represent the City of Truro and the Duchy of Cornwall in an exemplary manner as they have in the past, one error of judgement should not tarnish the support enjoyed by the football club it was not hooliganism or mob rule.

Now is the time for sensible discussion from everyone, there were mistakes, we must move on together accepting their may need to be a few changes that could hurt in the short term..

cornishteddyboy

Until the investigation is completed it is surely a suspension, any enquiry will determine events after that, idle speculation helps no one, The West Briton gives the impression there was mob rule, this is far from the truth and everyone shouldn't be tarred with the same brush.

Great things are being achieved at Truro City this season, a possible error of judgement by a few shouldn't tarnish what good has been done, misreporting events harms not only the possible bad boys but the good guys as well.

No one person can know everything that went on to bring about suspensions, information will be collated and from that decisions made, there was no need for this comment from the West Briton "The disruption was not reported to the local police." . That in itself suggests events were out of control that was not the case, individual acts are one thing but mob rule no.

I will leave it there, hopefully things will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, as I said earlier there were wrongs but I hope I have helped to quell the damage poor press coverage may have done to those innocent of any offences, like the guy wrongly accused.

Back to the footy and a win for City when Saturday comes.

Where is the list of the fans who have been banned? As has previously been stated, these were not flares at all, but smoke sticks that gently emit coloured smoke - not some kind of dangerous rocket. I believe TISA are getting far too big for their boots, attempting to almost take over TCFC. They are a real example of 'who shouts loudest is correct'. I think the club realise this and this incident has give TCFC the opportunity to let TISA know they are simply a bunch of fans, and not an official organisation who have any power or influence . TISA fell out with the previous regime, and have managed to do it again with the current set up. TCFC have been waiting for TISA to cross the line, and now they have they are able to start acting against them. It has been a case of give them enough rope .

One of the problems with TISA is all they actually do is make money for themselves - not the football club. They arrange their own fund raisers and now have an extensive range of their own merchandise, they seem to spend their money over the bar at the Railway Club, not City's clubhouse . Not a penny of this goes to the club. Yes, they attend many ( not all as they claim ) away games, but again, all that income goes to the home club, not TCFC.. Yet, they want a say in the running of TCFC. Most of TISA are reasonable people, but their is a hardcore of trouble causers who have been involved in a number of rather unsavoury incidents in the past. Remember when that fellow from the brewery attempted to set up some kind of fighting fund? A prominent member of TISA called him up and 'threatened' him. Wherever TISA are, trouble follows.