Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keith B

Dwindling number of referees.

Interesting point the "lack of respect "business , why are we so aggressive to each other today ? .What have we lost in society that makes people have to be confrontational in just about everything ? .Has television a part to play in it or is there something in our diets that affect peoples brains . Sounds stupid I know but a shrink ( I can't spell psychiatrist ) that I used to work with always thought that certain soft drinks sold worldwide would eventually affect peoples brains because of what he believed was in them .Was he right is that why many people behave how they do ? You see close ups of fans hanging over the fences at corner kicks and throw ins snarling and hurling abuse at the players with hatred on their faces , why . Many of the players don't help either , how many do you see with a smile on their face ? how many exchange a smile or quip with the linesman or referee ? some do but very few .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21701286

Here is an interesting article from Wayne Barnes, a referee in England's Rugby Aviva Premiership. He explains that the technology they use in Rugby has helped the referee in making those crucial decisions that could potentially change the outcome of the match. Almost all rugby players are respectful towards the referee, because they actually realise how hard their job is. It's the complete opposite though in football. Which is a shame, can only hope that in football we show more respect to the referees, but I can't see that happening for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21701286

Here is an interesting article from Wayne Barnes, a referee in England's Rugby Aviva Premiership. He explains that the technology they use in Rugby has helped the referee in making those crucial decisions that could potentially change the outcome of the match. Almost all rugby players are respectful towards the referee, because they actually realise how hard their job is. It's the complete opposite though in football. Which is a shame, can only hope that in football we show more respect to the referees, but I can't see that happening for a while.

True Jacob and there are of course many more rules/laws controlling the game of rugby union.

I'd be interested to see how many rules/laws there are in Football and Rugby separately, they are two completely different sports. The rules in Rugby Union are so much more technical than they are in Football. The standard of refereeing in the Aviva Premiership is fairly good, that's in areas where they don't use technology as well.

and of course rugby players are true gents who don't fight,bite,stamp,gouge or kick their opponents either. it does get my goat this whiter than white image of rugby. if a player hits another player it's a mans game in rugby but if it happens in football it's front page news.

I'd be interested to see how many rules/laws there are in Football and Rugby separately, they are two completely different sports. The rules in Rugby Union are so much more technical than they are in Football. The standard of refereeing in the Aviva Premiership is fairly good, that's in areas where they don't use technology as well.

Any large bookshop ie, WH Smith or Waterstones - sell rule books on both sports, including what constitutes a foul or is unlawful.

There are very few people that know all the laws of the game without having to research them first. That's what causes a load of abuse at referees, because a lot of people don't know exactly what the laws are etc.

Lot of truth here Jacob.

It doesn't mean everybody has to research all of them. But if a greater number of people knew about all the laws in football then I can imagine it would help them to understand why referees made a certain decision. Which obviously means that referees would more than likely get less abuse than what they receive now.

My point Keith B is, because it attracts so many more people from all walks it invariably attracts more of the undesirables in life.

That's from players to spectators I'm afraid, its all proportionate.

Thanks older - I get your point now - very true sir. :)

Just picking up on Dan Templeton's tweet ( I don't tweet myself) wherein he asks for referees comments on why the number of referees is getting less and less.

It would be interesting, and indeed important, to have some feedback from refs as to why their numbers are dwindling. Is it the constant barracking they get from so called supporters, or, is it a combination of factors ?

Come on you refs, we know you're not shy, you couldn't do the job if you were. Despite what some idiots may say, you are appreciated and valued - lets face it without you football will grind to a halt and we don't want that to happen.

Getting your complaints and comments into the public arena could help solve the problem, both, in the best interests of the game and, hopefully, for a happier lot for yourselves. We know that the crowd at football matches have always had a go at the ref, and I'm sure it will always be so, however it's gone too far now and something has to be done.

Well folks - perhaps it was a little naive to hope that referees might respond to Dan Templeton's original tweet on this subject. Whilst it's possible that some might have responded, under their adopted name on this forum, generally it seems that they have 'kept mum'.

Let's hope that the governing bodies do something about this dilemma, both for the betterment of the game we love, and for a clearer and better environment in which the referees 'ply their trade' as it were. Referees should not have to tolerate abuse every week, and, certainly not on the scale to which it has escalated currently. Let's hope for a better future for all concerned !

Keith B, you are absolutely correct, referees shouldn't tolerate this kind of abuse every week. They are essentially the ones that allow us to play football every weekend and that keeps the grassroots game running in England. In the near future I can't see it improving, if anything getting worse. But in the long term I'm sure the situation will get better. Maybe that's why they are getting referees to start training from the age of 14 now? Giving longer for them to get experience and prepare for adult football.

I have had a few responses Keith, thank you. Not many though, I would have liked to have had a few more to strengthen the feature but there's only so much persistence one person can have

Well done Tempo - best wishes with the article.

One of my tutors a long time ago ny the name of john griffin said u can be a good ref as long as u understand that every time u put the whistle to yoyr mouth you will upset minimum of 11 people. Oh and another by the name of roger cole dcfa said the referees always right

One of my tutors a long time ago ny the name of john griffin said u can be a good ref as long as u understand that every time u put the whistle to yoyr mouth you will upset minimum of 11 people. Oh and another by the name of roger cole dcfa said the referees always right

Just imagine - if everyone accepted that, how quiet matches would be.