Cornwall Football Forum

RESPECT, there is none

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, whilst there was some friendly banter from the "old boys" in the grandstand, cannot say there was anything nasty. I would say the only aggression came from individuals connected with Bodmin Town.

Sadly, Darren, with his aggressive nature, get the backs of the opposition supporters. I am sick and tired of watching him perform.

Not sure where you have got your information Dave or perhaps you were there, but why were them feeling impelled to leave the stand?

Please enlighten me.

Had to leave the stand because of the abuse being aimed at Darren. Bad enough that suggested to me that if "someone had said to another person what was being insinuated whilst in the street, they might even have been arrested, it was at times that bad."

This is the thing - it's been pretty much one way attack against Bodmin so far for yesterday, but as we know it generally always takes two! As a neutral I've been contacted to suggest that it wasn't the fault of just one party!

This all stinks a bit to me. Cant help but think that when things aren't going well for a certain club, they look for every other party, club or association to blame.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another allegation coming in following this like St Austell received when they upset the Bodmin apple cart back on Easter Monday! Or perhaps they may even receive an official complaint themselves this time. What goes around springs to mind.

What i love the most about your posts Dave Deacon is that you are deflecting away from the fact the Bodmin manager was thoroughly unprofessional. The actions of any fans there yesterday Bodmin, Saltash or Neutral did not affect the managers actions.

If fans left the stand because of those reasons then they must struggle with Mr Gilbert in the dug out if they are so easily offended.

I was in the stand watching friends play on both teams and there was what started as banter turn sour and with Saltash taking the lead the constant abuse came from Saltash fans causing a reaction from members of bodmin fans. The most shocking thing I heard was an ashes fan scream on to the pitch break his f***ing legs. So as a total neutral Gilbert let himself down as did Saltash fans. Also in my opinion the ref would have got a 3/10 rating.

This all stinks a bit to me. Cant help but think that when things aren't going well for a certain club, they look for every other party, club or association to blame.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another allegation coming in following this like St Austell received when they upset the Bodmin apple cart back on Easter Monday! Or perhaps they may even receive an official complaint themselves this time. What goes around springs to mind.

Totally agree

I was in the stand watching friends play on both teams and there was what started as banter turn sour and with Saltash taking the lead the constant abuse came from Saltash fans causing a reaction from members of bodmin fans. The most shocking thing I heard was an ashes fan scream on to the pitch break his f***ing legs. So as a total neutral Gilbert let himself down as did Saltash fans. Also in my opinion the ref would have got a 3/10 rating.

What a load of tosh. Neutral my arse!!!!!

Ha I came and watched the game as I never had a game myself and like I said had friends from playing on both sides on the football side Saltash fully deserved the 3 points. Like I said thought ref didn't have a great game but that's football. Gilbert will get the flak because he is a football manager and should show an example but as usual the fans will get away with it.

I'm not condoning most of what Darren does during 90 minutes, in fact when he shouts his familiar "your embarrassing" I usually start to cringe! All I'm saying is though that more goes on than what you think.

Unfortunately with Bodmin not that well supported on this forum, we only get the anti Bodmin/Gilbert ranters on here and so its a one sided argument. One assumed even Leeds United has been suggested not to comment.

Although to be fair he would have been too far away to hear what was going on and being suggested in the stand!

One certain spectator should be ashamed of himself suggesting about Darren! If that person should be reading this - totally needless and should be banned from watching all football in the county - forever!

Was at the game yesterday and was shocked at the abuse the referee received as he attempted to get to the changing room after the final whistle. Some silly old fool wanted to punch him! What's wrong with people that they react that badly when they lose. Darren's a passionate manager but sometimes this boils over when he doesn't agree with decisions that go against his team. And that rubs off on the fans who aren't used to losing and don't know how to react, so jump on the bandwagon and blame the officials. In my view the referee gave it as he saw it. Yeah he may have got a few wrong and I didn't agree with a lot of his decisions but he gave what he saw - whether that affected the result, who knows. (I doubt it) What did affect the result was the chances missed by Bodmin, Mike Roberts hardly made a save to make all afternoon (but should have) cos he didn't have to! So many good chances went just past the post. On the other hand how many great saves did Kevin Miller make. The final score should have been 5-4 or 4-5 but for the chances both teams had and missed. But no one will remember that, only the referee! No wonder it's hard to get officials and don't go complaining at the cost of them crippling clubs either, 50 odd quid to receive abuse like that all game - no thanks!

Referees command more than enough in money to accept abuse - I would like to earn their hourly rate! Also why do the officials have to come all the way from Plymouth to Falmouth on a Tuesday evening - because it is a good earner at the expense of the home club. DISGUSTING !

Referees command more than enough in money to accept abuse - I would like to earn their hourly rate! Also why do the officials have to come all the way from Plymouth to Falmouth on a Tuesday evening - because it is a good earner at the expense of the home club. DISGUSTING !

Why don't you become a referee then?

Mr B. Al

I do get what you are saying. I do not really want to travel all the way upto Plymouth on a Tues night after work. But, if referees do not travel then the clubs will be seeing the same referee every week. Also I would like to go to different grounds and I will charge the amount I am entitled to according to the rates set by CCFA and will not feel guilty for doing so.

hope this helps with your querie

Perhaps so, but no one has yet given a reason why officials should journey all the way from Plymouth for a mid week match other than to receive the remuneration. Could not have been a shortage - there were only 3 matches that evening!

Availability

Contributory League games

Games next evening

Recently officiated participating clubs

Could be some of the reasons.

Was the elderly gent that approached the ref in an aggressive manner and clenched fist not the very same nutter that did exactly the same to a ref (Mckinnon if my memory serves) up at Tavvy a few years ago and got put back in his place from the former Army boxing champ

Attended saltash last night and was very impressed with the ref Mr Holt and his assistants..... Reg from Camelford strongly disagreed with the award of the first ashes goal and was dealt with superbly.. havent seen reg that quiet for quite some time ... well done and well handled by the officials... not a bad game either

As a spectator of the game, Mr Holt had an up and down night in my opinion. He was quite right to award the goal as the ball was over the line and he dealt with any objections very well. However, some of his decisions particularly in the second half were shocking. Whenever a player made a shoulder to shoulder or a 50/50 tackle, Mr Holt just seemed to blow his whistle and put an arm up...whichever one twitched first. A couple of the Camelford lads got frustrated, and quite rightly in my opinion. Everyone can handle a mistake or two by the ref, as after all they are only human. However, Camelford were particularly hard done by on a couple of occasions when considering refereeing decisions. I doubt that they expected to get anything out of the game in the first place, and some of the decisions certainly didn't help them. Frustration will always be part of the game, and players are going to react to certain decisions. However, I didn't hear any foul language directed at the referee yet he still booked a couple of the Camelford players for being frustrated...at his poor decisions. Of course there is a line and maybe the Camelford lads crossed it, but I think that was due to a few decisions previously also being given wrongfully.

It would just be refreshing for the ref to sometimes admit that they are wrong. If they stick by their decision then fair play to them, as long as they admit that they may have got it wrong and apologise to the team that has to be penalised for it. By being arrogant towards the players however and insisting that they are always right is only going to frustrate them more.

That isn't to say that Saltash didn't deserve their win at all. As a neutral I would say that Saltash edged it overall, with an even first hour before the Camelford lads began to tire and Saltash's possession skills really came into play which inevitably made the Camelford lads chase the ball even more which was only going to tire them more. It was harsh on Camelford when it went to 3-0 as they were playing well up to then, but reflecting on the last half an hour, perhaps it could have been more as Saltash's quality movement created a few more chances, only to be denied by last gasp tackles or good goalkeeping.

Saltash will be up and around the top 3 at the end of the year and I think that Camelford will manage to stay up despite a poor start to the season.

That isn't to say that Saltash didn't deserve their win at all. As a neutral I would say that Saltash edged it overall, with an even first hour before the Camelford lads began to tire and Saltash's possession skills really came into play which inevitably made the Camelford lads chase the ball even more which was only going to tire them more. It was harsh on Camelford when it went to 3-0 as they were playing well up to then, but reflecting on the last half an hour, perhaps it could have been more as Saltash's quality movement created a few more chances, only to be denied by last gasp tackles or good goalkeeping.

Got to agree with your match summary. Camelford worked hard all night but the Ashes appeared to just have that extra bit of quality. Jimbo's passing was superb again last night, as was Maddy's pace and cool finish. I think this mixture of long passing and pace forced the Camel's to work that bit harder which told in the end.

Thought the ref handled Reg's protest really well with a no nonsense - I'm in charge approach. The same way he handled the petulance from the Camel's midfielder who was unhappy after clearly shoving his opposite number. Screaming at the ref and throwing the ball hard into the ground in a temper tantrum - what else would a ref do other than book him? I much prefer referees to excert their control, like this one did last night, rather than get 'walked all over'.

Good game though with both teams playing their part in a competitive match.

As a spectator of the game, Mr Holt had an up and down night in my opinion. He was quite right to award the goal as the ball was over the line and he dealt with any objections very well. However, some of his decisions particularly in the second half were shocking. Whenever a player made a shoulder to shoulder or a 50/50 tackle, Mr Holt just seemed to blow his whistle and put an arm up...whichever one twitched first. A couple of the Camelford lads got frustrated, and quite rightly in my opinion. Everyone can handle a mistake or two by the ref, as after all they are only human. However, Camelford were particularly hard done by on a couple of occasions when considering refereeing decisions. I doubt that they expected to get anything out of the game in the first place, and some of the decisions certainly didn't help them. Frustration will always be part of the game, and players are going to react to certain decisions. However, I didn't hear any foul language directed at the referee yet he still booked a couple of the Camelford players for being frustrated...at his poor decisions. Of course there is a line and maybe the Camelford lads crossed it, but I think that was due to a few decisions previously also being given wrongfully.

It would just be refreshing for the ref to sometimes admit that they are wrong. If they stick by their decision then fair play to them, as long as they admit that they may have got it wrong and apologise to the team that has to be penalised for it. By being arrogant towards the players however and insisting that they are always right is only going to frustrate them more.

Saltash will be up and around the top 3 at the end of the year and I think that Camelford will manage to stay up despite a poor start to the season.

A pretty good summary of the game!

Saltash played good quick passing football but Camelford worked hard throughout and had several chances themselves go begging. However, I feel the 3 - 0 result was harsh on the Camels, who unfortunately seem to be getting more bad luck than good recently. Some people might say 'You make your own luck' but some of the decisions given against them were awful, and yet similar situations against the home team went unpunished. Is it any wonder frustration sets in?

Overall, an excellent game to watch for both sets of supporters and the neutrals. Good Luck to Saltash for the rest of the season.

The SWPL is a semi pro league so you get the top refs regardless of where they come from, some clubs have no problem paying their players good money so why should refs not get well paid for doing a very difficult job. When I was a ref I had to take time off work to travel to places such as Paulton, Yeovil, Glastonbury etc for evening games, thats just the way it is. At a certain level football becomes a career not a hobby so does refereeing, and the participants are paid accordingly.