Cornwall Football Forum

Bad day for Arsenal.....

Yes we are. Anyway, what happened with that strange penalty on Saturday? Mariner clearly did not give it at first. If he did, he would have identified Ox and got the right man. He saw nothing wrong and was awarding a goal kick. Was it a word in his ear (the lino never awarded it). Did he just bend to the screaming Chelsea players? Strange. And I bet we never find out the whole truth on that one.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have got to stick up for my team. They are low on luck, high on injuries, and low on confidence. Looking at the Arsenal bench last night showed the underlying problem. With the fixtures that Arsenal have had recently (Chelsea, Spurs, Bayern, Everton etc etc), the likes of Koscielny, Ozil, Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey and Diaby being unavailable were crucial. The team is knackered, jaded, and with poor results in the last 2 games, beginning to look over their shoulders, with the prospect of an in-form Man City to face on Saturday. It is tough at the top, no excuses for the fixtures and so on, they come thick and fast for successful teams. This is now a truly defining time for Arsenals season. To finish top 4, it is not essential that Man City are beaten on Saturday, but the Everton game will need to be a win, and the remaining games against the bottom clubs scrapping for their lives need to go with home wins and away draws.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really. Arsenal will need to win all remaining league games. I would have rather taken a loss in the FA Cup against Everton and a win against them today. Everton have still got to play Man City and Man Utd at home, and a tricky away game at Southampton. Next weekends trip to Sunderland will not be easy for them. But, they are in form, 6 straight wins. Doing what Arsenal did last season.

Everton outclassed a one pace team ,it will be arsenes fault through his stubborness to recruit players in the jan window if we fail to get fourth ,at present we don't deserve it oils signing has only papered over the cracks and the squad needs winners not enough leaders on the park ,Everton have moved up a level under martinez and deserve all the plaudits coming their way ,, ,,, perhaps the club ,team have become stale from top to bottom and need new ideas ,fa cup left but the way we think we can just turn up and win games I don't take it as a given against wigan. ,,,,,,players seem to be demotavated and not much team spriirit no answer at present to our poor end of season

Fickle. Injuries, lack of options in consequence. For most of the season, most have been positive about Arsenals position. Now they hit a rough patch, it's Wenger's fault, needs to go, no leaders, and so on. Last time I looked, Arsenal are still 4th in the league, and next up is Wigan in the FA Cup semi final. Not exactly a disaster in my opinion. Yeah, sure, players are needed, but why does everyone think its easy to sign good players? Look at Spurs, how much did they spend, how many managers have they had, still below Arsenal, and no matter what they say, would change places with our position at the drop of a hat. Wenger did his best to sign Suarez in the summer, and the Liverpool chairman has since admitted that Arsenals bid DID trigger a sale clause. But hats off to them as they fought hard to keep an exceptional player and have benefited from that decision. Is it Wenger's fault he didn't sign him. Suarez even wanted to go!! In any case, the season is not over yet, and until it is, we are still unsure of what twist and turns lay ahead.

Fickle. Injuries, lack of options in consequence. For most of the season, most have been positive about Arsenals position. Now they hit a rough patch, it's Wenger's fault, needs to go, no leaders, and so on. Last time I looked, Arsenal are still 4th in the league, and next up is Wigan in the FA Cup semi final. Not exactly a disaster in my opinion. Yeah, sure, players are needed, but why does everyone think its easy to sign good players? Look at Spurs, how much did they spend, how many managers have they had, still below Arsenal, and no matter what they say, would change places with our position at the drop of a hat. Wenger did his best to sign Suarez in the summer, and the Liverpool chairman has since admitted that Arsenals bid DID trigger a sale clause. But hats off to them as they fought hard to keep an exceptional player and have benefited from that decision. Is it Wenger's fault he didn't sign him. Suarez even wanted to go!! In any case, the season is not over yet, and until it is, we are still unsure of what twist and turns lay ahead.

Good old Mangle.Everything is fine,finish top 4 and F.A Cup semi finalist.Another cracking season.

No mangle not fickle mate have been a fan since 1970 I have seen the lean years as well as the good times ,but the club needs a shake up not saying arsene should go as who would replace him. ,but transfers negotiations need to be done better and quicker there is money but he loathes to spend it ,the fans who go pay the most for tickets he is on big money ,the buck stops with him and the board ,yes I want the fa cup and fourth but at present it looks a big ask fourth is a min ,Everton by far were quicker to the ball and had hunger we didn't ,if and it's a big if we win the cup he may take this as his swan song, he has changed football in this country for the better and our club as well with the emirates ,the training facilities which many clubs envy ,and his legacy can never be forgot, but injuries yes we have had a few but it shows the squad is not up to the long season giroud is running on empty , sanogoo looks as if he will do a job in the future and was unlucky not to have a goal today ,but who do we get in the jan window a player coming back from injury and who plays in mid ,so who could we have got a bid for remy as he has prem experience and can score goals and at time could have played champs league so mangle not fickle a gooner and all the excitement and downs that comes with being that, but I don't see the club through rose tinted glasses as some do as with old friends you see the good but also the bad ,I won't us to win everything every season, but I realise we won't is there light at the end of the tunnel I hope so always hoping for the next Adams wright Vera ,berkamp cesc Henry, or Charlie George

Everyone is talking as if the season is finished. So far, Man City fans are the only ones with anything to shout about. They have won a trophy. No one else has. Lets have a nice review of these comments at the end of the season, and see who gets to play in Europe. I am claiming nothing at this stage. All still up for grabs. If I am pushed, I'll say Man City to win it, Arsenal will get 4th, Everton 5th. That's the way I see it, but still a long way to go.

Everyone is talking as if the season is finished. So far, Man City fans are the only ones with anything to shout about. They have won a trophy. No one else has. Lets have a nice review of these comments at the end of the season, and see who gets to play in Europe. I am claiming nothing at this stage. All still up for grabs. If I am pushed, I'll say Man City to win it, Arsenal will get 4th, Everton 5th. That's the way I see it, but still a long way to go.

glad you are positive and hope you are right but something or someone is not right at present and we can't keep getting tanked and expect to win trophies ,

Always positive, but try to be realistic. I am as frustrated as every Arsenal fan. But to "challenge" for the trophies, you have to be competing at the top. We are. Now I know as well as everyone else that Arsenal have had some catastrophic results this season. But I have not forgotten the 2-0 victory against Liverpool, the 2-1 victory against Liverpool, the 4-1 victory against Everton, the draw away at Bayern, the 2-0 win against Napoli, the 1-0 win at Dortmund, the fact that Arsenal are unbeaten in the Premier League since the loss on the first day of the season against Villa, the fact that Everton, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd have all been to the Emirates and failed to beat Arsenal in the league, and not to mention the 3 straight wins against Spurs this season. Injuries to our best players, Walcott, Ozil, Koscielny, Ramsey, Wilshere, Diaby, Gibbs, the list has been heavy throughout the season.

I hate the fact we have been whipped at Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton and Man City, and this needs to improve. But I do not think a different manager, or one or two more signings would have made the world of difference. Did you know that Arsenal, until the loss at Everton on Sunday, were 2nd in the Premier League Away Table this season? We are now 4th. Hardly a fuucking disaster.

So, as SSS claims, and so on, I am not claiming that everything in the garden is rosy, Arsenal are brilliant and better than everyone else. Things need to be done differently, somewhere, somehow. But the team as it is, challenging for all trophies available, is not far away. If we consolidate 4th this season, I believe Wenger will be able to strengthen up front, give Giroud some support. Sanogo looks ok to me, still settling in, Ozil will find his feet, the youngsters are all signed on.....we will be good!

I am old school if we win fa cup and it is a if as Wigan have turned over City would be a great season , fourth is not in our own hands ,as you have stated you rather have champs league next year than cup run, if the gunners win fa cup I think arsene will step down , the board won't push him ,as he makes money for the club , his contract was to be announced at the time of his 1000 games to has been put on hold , of course I want champs league football to play against the best , but to compete and get at min to last eight , on another note there has been a shake up of the academy with 2 Dutch coaches coming in and one of them has worked with van gaal , conspiracy ,,,,, if you follow other arsenal sights blogs it seems a lot of fans want change at the top be it manager or board the opinion is arsene has to much control over the club , these fans are a lot of season ticket holders , I have said before the rot set in when dein was forced out of the club has he was the man who sorted out the transfers and sold the club to the likes of berkamp ,pires ect , change is needed oil was a great signing and next season he will be better , but some squad changes are needed, quality required not players for the future , injuries have not helped Ramsey and Walcott are big misses and ozil has played a part Wiltshire has been struggling all season getting over his injuries and I don't think podolski is fully fit diary is a great shame as before his injuries he showed great potential but I think his football days are done at arsenal

Since Arsenal last won the PL, in the 2003/4 season, only 3 teams have won the holy grail since. They are Man Utd (6 times), Chelsea (3 times) and Man City (1 time). Arsenal have finished second twice and 3rd three times in that time. Arsenal have been competitive. They are competitive. I want to win everthing, all the time. Not possible. Wenger ok in my book. Hope he stays. Not sure who would replace him - but I am sure they are thinking about that.

Since Arsenal last won the PL, in the 2003/4 season, only 3 teams have won the holy grail since. They are Man Utd (6 times), Chelsea (3 times) and Man City (1 time). Arsenal have finished second twice and 3rd three times in that time. Arsenal have been competitive. They are competitive. I want to win everthing, all the time. Not possible. Wenger ok in my book. Hope he stays. Not sure who would replace him - but I am sure they are thinking about that.

As usual,Mangle.Your codswallop paints a very rosey garden.

It does'nt fool the rest of us.

OK SSS, what do you think I am saying in my messages? I am being pretty clear, but obviously not clear enough. I even said......."I am not claiming that everything in the garden is rosy". Yet you reply that it is what I am saying!!??!!

OK SSS, what do you think I am saying in my messages? I am being pretty clear, but obviously not clear enough. I even said......."I am not claiming that everything in the garden is rosy". Yet you reply that it is what I am saying!!??!!

Bottom line is Mr Arsenal.

You are happy with your Club making money,and ripping off their supporters.

You are happy for your Club to win nowt,but finish top 4.

You are happy to finish above Spurs.

Then you tell us what a great success it all is.

So what is so great.?

Bottom line is Mr Arsenal.You are happy with your Club making money,and ripping off their supporters.You are happy for your Club to win nowt,but finish top 4.You are happy to finish above Spurs.Then you tell us what a great success it all is.So what is so great.?. SSS I know we support North London rivals and you seem to hate the gunners but let's turn the question back to yourself if your team finishes fourth would you consider it a good season and also prevented your neighbours the last champs league place? Our last title was a decade ago and yours was 50 years ago so both teams are falling into the level behind the top teams can either club get to the top level ? Even with the revenue the emirates makes we are a way off the elite , and spurs haven't even got their new stadium built yet so I hope not but both teams could be I am afraid playing out each season hoping to make fourth as arsene said this is a trophy in itself , I think he means a cash trophy

Bottom line is Mr Arsenal.You are happy with your Club making money,and ripping off their supporters.You are happy for your Club to win nowt,but finish top 4.You are happy to finish above Spurs.Then you tell us what a great success it all is.So what is so great.?

. SSS I know we support North London rivals and you seem to hate the gunners but let's turn the question back to yourself if your team finishes fourth would you consider it a good season and also prevented your neighbours the last champs league place? Our last title was a decade ago and yours was 50 years ago so both teams are falling into the level behind the top teams can either club get to the top level ? Even with the revenue the emirates makes we are a way off the elite , and spurs haven't even got their new stadium built yet so I hope not but both teams could be I am afraid playing out each season hoping to make fourth as arsene said this is a trophy in itself , I think he means a cash trophy

There is only one team from North London.

Your just camping there.

Bottom line is Mr Arsenal.You are happy with your Club making money,and ripping off their supporters.You are happy for your Club to win nowt,but finish top 4.You are happy to finish above Spurs.Then you tell us what a great success it all is.So what is so great.?. SSS I know we support North London rivals and you seem to hate the gunners but let's turn the question back to yourself if your team finishes fourth would you consider it a good season and also prevented your neighbours the last champs league place? Our last title was a decade ago and yours was 50 years ago so both teams are falling into the level behind the top teams can either club get to the top level ? Even with the revenue the emirates makes we are a way off the elite , and spurs haven't even got their new stadium built yet so I hope not but both teams could be I am afraid playing out each season hoping to make fourth as arsene said this is a trophy in itself , I think he means a cash trophyThere is only one team from North London.Your just camping there.

Bottom line is Mr Arsenal.You are happy with your Club making money,and ripping off their supporters.You are happy for your Club to win nowt,but finish top 4.You are happy to finish above Spurs.Then you tell us what a great success it all is.So what is so great.?. SSS I know we support North London rivals and you seem to hate the gunners but let's turn the question back to yourself if your team finishes fourth would you consider it a good season and also prevented your neighbours the last champs league place? Our last title was a decade ago and yours was 50 years ago so both teams are falling into the level behind the top teams can either club get to the top level ? Even with the revenue the emirates makes we are a way off the elite , and spurs haven't even got their new stadium built yet so I hope not but both teams could be I am afraid playing out each season hoping to make fourth as arsene saisorrd this is a trophy in itself , I think he means a cash trophyThere is only one team from North London.Your just camping there.. Sorry SSS squatters rights now Perhaps the locals need to ship out ha ha so still not answered the question iset you ? Bit taxing for someone so bitter and twisted , better get down off your pole and see the world with the rest of us

Penalties win over Wigan. Hmmmm. I'll take it, but only just good enough. Like that last time we won a trophy, played off the pitch by Man Utd and win on pens. Still, Arsenal are cup finalists.

agree mangle have to play better than that to win the cup , we are in the final. And really after a performance like today that's all we could wish for , role on the summer new blood needed and not just the playing staff , shake up from boardroom down , to many bankers yes I do mean bankers running the club

Penalties win over Wigan. Hmmmm. I'll take it, but only just good enough. Like that last time we won a trophy, played off the pitch by Man Utd and win on pens. Still, Arsenal are cup finalists.

Suppose that cements the Goons place in Europe again,next season,albiet in the Europa League.lol. if as a club we have to take one step back to go forward so be it , if we don't get fourth it is because we are not good enough over the season , just being honest about our club unlike you SSS as you always seem more interested in the gunners than the spuds , green eyed monster maybe , look old chap 50 years is along time without a league title and a decade for us we only have to go another 40 years to catch up with north London's also rans in the league stakes

Deserved win mate. West Ham were very disappointing. When they scored their goal, they were playing football, broke down the right, sent in a cross, six yard box mayhem, goal. Jarvis is a good player, and was causing Sagna problems. BUT, any free-kick awarded to The Irons which was within 10 yards of the halfway line (in their half) and the Arsenal penalty area, cue a small stoppage in play as everyone gets ready for the keeper to launch it into the box. Yawn. Arsenal were dealing with this form of attack rather comfortably. With the BFG, Kos and Vermaelen in the back 4, we were not light on heading skills. Giroud was also dropping back. But they did not change their tactics, and even the football began to subside as they started launching from open play. Arsenal on the other hand looked better with Rosicky back in the team, with his constant energy, and Kalstrom also showed a bit of class. Good player. Overall, it was a little nervy, same as Wigan, loads of possession, little penetration. But enough to make the difference. The performance should give them a boost, it was a decent performance, and with players coming back from injury, no excuses why they can't make a good fist of it.