Cornwall Football Forum

3G or not 3G?

3G or not 3G?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should all leagues allow their games to be played on an artificial surface?

The perspective from those still playing the game is key here. P6FC play every home game on a 3G astro. Every player in the team prefers it to grass including a 43-year ex-pro who played second division in Sweden (Our home pitch is the reason he has stuck with P6FC every season, driving from St Austell to Newquay to play every home game).

The surface is not what it used to be in the 80's so I find it hard to listen to criticism of the surface from observers who have not played on it.

Have played on a few like west cornwalls and st Stephens boro near saltash and nothing has changed my mind they are awful . And should only be used as a last resort and maybe not even then . Huge advantage to home sides and no matter how hard you try you end up with burns or cuts somewhere . If they are the future of the game thank god I have retired . Would also say if I was a manager of a team who had the choice to play on one I would refuse .

Good for you. Taken to the limit Cornish football could eventually be played on School.and College premises because no clubs would afford artificial pitches.

If the CCFA valued its own competition it would not sanction the use. Better to scrap it in such unusual conditions as this year.

the biggest problem that any club has is to maintain a pitch. this may sound obvious but look at the good pitches in our leagues and they are all lovingly cared for by very willing volunteers. a lot of clubs struggle to get somebody to run the line or collect match fees. also Cornwall council has bigger budget constraints every year and you are lucky if the grass is cut. something has to be done between the clubs and the county fa to get around this problem or we it will only get worse and 3g will be the only option

Let's not get confused between 3G and astro, there is a huge difference. Luton used an astro surface and in my opinion is a horrible surface, on the side of dangerous. However 3G pitches is the evolution of artificial surfaces.

Of course, in a Euro 2008 Qualifier, Russia beat England 2-1 on a 3G pitch (Lukhniki stadium) which was FIFA and UEFA approved.

If it's good enough for the top?

Have played on a few like west cornwalls and st Stephens boro near saltash and nothing has changed my mind they are awful . And should only be used as a last resort and maybe not even then . Huge advantage to home sides and no matter how hard you try you end up with burns or cuts somewhere . If they are the future of the game thank god I have retired . Would also say if I was a manager of a team who had the choice to play on one I would refuse .

I would prefer to see the game on grass but having watched calling ton v truro today on 3g was a very end to end game obviously much quicker and of course no burns if you stay on your feet. As for awful john bit harsh i feel. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

When you consider what pitches used to be like and how desperate we were to play, I personally dont think it should be a problem if both teams agree to play on any type of surface. Rugby teams play on artificial surfaces, 3 and 4 G pitches have evolved massively in the last 10 years and with the weather predictions we are getting at the moment we might have to bite the bullet or end up playing table football or subbuteo instead!

MQx

There are numerous 3G pitches in the county, Saltash, Callington, Camelford, Newquay, Truro x2, Camborne, Penzance, Penryn plus bids in for others in Redruth and Bude I believe.

They would never be able to cover the full commitment of matches and nor should they as grass is the best surface but if games are cancelled more and more often as clubs cannot afford the repair or do not want to damage the pitch (some clubs have not played in 2014) then they must be an advantage rather than completely pushed aside. I coach in the British Colleges league and every game this year has been on a 3 or 4G surface. Not every club will have or can have one but the bonus is when the weather is rough more than one game can be played consecutively as we have done many times, it's not expensive as most venues have a 'match' hire fee rather than training fee.

With regards to the advantage to the home team, many teams train on 3Gs now and as with every team the home pitch should give some advantage whether that is the width, length or quality of playing surface (mostly knowing where the divets and slopes are)many times I've been to a ground and the coach has said we've left the grass long as you play quick football on the deck. So why shouldn't teams who want to play decent flowing football have an advantage as well.

Being a west cornwall player I'm going to be biased, but any football player wishing to try and play football the passing game would not want to play on a perfect 3g pitch is beyond me. Obv the people moaning about getting burns and cuts stay on your feet and don't dive in lesson 1. Every clubs home pitch is an advantage you will play half your seasons game on it think logically here. I give credit to the teams that have played on the 3g this season against us, which some teams have got a draw or a win against our 1st and reserves not really an advantage in that sense. Also the only fixture played on 8/2/2014 in Trelawney was on a 3g pitch no further comments

3g takes a variable out of the game which good passing sides will thrive on. It encourages players to stay on their feet, keep the ball on the deck and shows the true technical ability of players.

It's only agricultural playing footballers that complain about it.

Being a west cornwall player I'm going to be biased, but any football player wishing to try and play football the passing game would not want to play on a perfect 3g pitch is beyond me. Obv the people moaning about getting burns and cuts stay on your feet and don't dive in lesson 1. Every clubs home pitch is an advantage you will play half your seasons game on it think logically here. I give credit to the teams that have played on the 3g this season against us, which some teams have got a draw or a win against our 1st and reserves not really an advantage in that sense. Also the only fixture played on 8/2/2014 in Trelawney was on a 3g pitch no further comments

Diving in is not the same as a good sliding challenge, it's a big part of a defenders arsenal, whether he is agricultural or not, so not sure where the argument is here? Football should be played solely whilst standing on 2 feet? What about the keepers who get a rough deal at the best of times? Should they not dive to make a save on a 3g pitch?

As for a home pitch being an "advantage", we play out of Clijah, not because thats our ultimate pitch, but because its fits within our budget and we don't have the luxury of other clubs who own/lease their own grounds. Think if you asked any of my players, who haven't had a game since the week before Christmas if they could play this weekend, but only if they agreed to play on a 3g pitch, I know what the answer would be!

From a keepers perspective, I wear gk trousers. Never had a problem. You can pick up a pair for next to nothing considering the price of gloves. I would play on grass as a first choice the same as everybody, but would have no problem agreeing to play on 3g if that was available.

Premier Sixes vs Foxhole will go ahead on a 3G this weekend no matter how much rain falls this week (predicted to be 40-70mm). As the Duchy fixture secretary too, I can say hand on heart that teams would benefit from this as we are now in February and I know of at least 1 team that has only played one home league match this season due to weather enforced postponements week after week.

How many Premier league games have been cancelled due to this awful weather? I am pretty sure it is none as they have full-time teams of ground staff and high tech drainage and under soil heating. The Millenium stadium and Wembley even have roofs that can be closed if the weather is awful. If the weather became an issue things may change due to loss of revenue. This is the reason there are so many 3G and 4G at pro clubs in country's where grass pitches could not guarentee the same number of matches being played.

At the lower end of the English pro / semi-pro level clubs are looking at 4G pitches as an option due to the additional revenue they can generate by using the pitch on none match days.

Keith, it is not shunned, many teams in eastern europe and Scandinavia have 4G pitches due to the weather conditions, a large amount of teams in England and across Europe have pitches that are both grass and synthetic woven together.

Postman Pat - thanks for the geography lesson, my note on the Redruth pitch was more about availability to train so its not such a 'advantage' to home teams

As far as I can see no one has said all pitches must be 3G what we are saying is they need to be welcomed in the current times as ways of playing games when grass pitches are unplayable.

At this level and time of year surely getting games played is the priority, I'd hope the majority of players would choose to play on a 3G surface rather than go a weekend without football. Grass should arguably always be first choice but for clubs to choose to rearrange a fixture rather than get the game played on 3G is madness!

As others have mentioned the results speak for themselves in that it's not such a clear-cut advantage to the home team, we've dropped plenty of points on the astro over the years.

Sure you get the odd burn if you go to ground but in my experience it's nothing worse than the burns and grazes you get in going to ground on a grass pitch in the dry summer months and you're much less likely to pick up other injuries that happen on pot holed slopes.

Many people lament the drop in standard of the various senior leagues on this very forum. Perhaps there is an obvious link between the increasingly wetter winters and the cancelled games that go with it; and the fact that players are therefore then not getting the chance to apply their trade, practice, and have the opportunity to improve? This is certainly the case with junior (kids) football.

Many of those who argue against the use of 3G surfaces are thinking back to the 80's when, to be fair, the astro pitches were terrible. Things have moved on significantly, and some of the most up to date artificial surfaces are an absolute joy to play on. The quality of the play seems to be much better too. Holland seems to have many artificial surfaces that are used for training as well as games where appropriate. Their use is widespread at ALL levels of the game and generally agreed upon in order to let people PLAY. Which country produces the bigger quantities of technically proficient players?

I'm currently in Malta on a sports tour with our school. There are 3G pitches everywhere. They have their own weather problems. It's so dry here that they can't get enough water to keep grass pitches irrigated and as a result the 3G pitches are for a different reason less maintenance. Everyone here thinks they're fantastic and many of them have been part funded by the Maltese FA.

I agree that grass will be our favourite surface but unless we are all more flexible you may struggle to complete fixtures.

I also believe a team in Dorset has changed its pitch to 3G and I know Gloucester FA have done the same at their Almondsbury HQ.

From a spectators point of view -are you inside or outside the cage?

Glad to see the Peninsula League dont allow synthetic pitches

The Peninsula League don't prohibit artificial pitches, they wouldn't have allowed the switching of a match under their jurisdiction to a grass pitch that was not approved pre-season either. All leagues from Step 3-7 that play under the standardised rules cannot prohibit a pitch/ground just because it has an artificial pitch; but the artificial pitches to need to be re-approved on a regular basis; something which an awful lot of grass pitches would fail if tested I believe!

The next step is to get the Conference onboard; this will be tested when Maidstone United finish in a promotion position.

FDO (Dan) I have no problem at all with playing on any surface but them I wish I could play!! I cannot believe that anybody would rather not play for as long as we have in this current spell of bad weather. I have tried explaining to some of the councillors involved about the new 3g in Drump road Redruth about it not being big enough and they seem to be fixated about it not being football related?

Latest news from the Duchy league regarding using a 3G pitch

Hi all,

The weather forecasts predicts another Saturday with very limited chances of playing games. Although the offer below will only be of interest of clubs in South East Cornwall I think it is right that I send it to all clubs because the fixture situation will shortly near a crisis for some clubs.

I have received the message below from Andy Mitchell at County Office with an offer from Callington College to use their 3G facility at a reduced rate from 22nd February.

"I have had a message from Callington College who have weekend availability of their 3G FTP (Football Turf Pitch as they are now referred to!). I would guess that some clubs may be behind with their fixtures and may want to get some games in. The cost for the pitch per match is £50. This includes the changing rooms & showers. I would have thought that if some teams are prepared to be flexible then a couple of games could be played on the same day as they have floodlights for later kick offs. They are able to offer the pitch from Saturday 22nd February onwards and it is also available Sundays. Clubs would need to book directly with Beth. The College also have some availability with training slots during the week if clubs are interested. They are having it cleaned and refreshed in half term so it should be in perfect condition form the 22nd."

The offer is there for clubs to consider.

Regards

Mike

Ive played a couple of games on 3g up in gloucestershire for my step 5 team over the last 3 weeks against another step 5 and one step 6 side, and also for a side in the equivalent to Duchy League div 3 to help them out, so thought id chuck my opinion into the mix.

Firstly what it did allow is better football to be played, certainly by the junior side as many people will agree, a lot of games at this level are fast and furious and often quite direct, what happened in this game was the ball being played across the back time and again......although good to see teams try and play football, the side involved probably had a tendency to overplay due to the surface.

The games involving my Step 5 side, have been slightly different in that the football played was slightly more intelligent, passing around was evident but only at the right times....but better decision making should be expected anyway as the level is higher.

What i have found, is that these pitches are better for attacking players, as these are usually the better footballers they can use the flat pitch to their advantage, whereas a defender can have his job made easier by bumps and bobbles on a grass pitch making it more difficult for players to run with the ball etc.

The pitches are only really an issue if the main attribute you have is work rate, rather than an excellent technical ability.

In our case, id not like to play all of our games in the western league on one because it might result in harder fixtures for us. But I'm sure if you ask a side near the tp of the league, such as Bristol Manor Farm what their opinion on them was it would be different, as a side who base their game on one touch play it can only help them.

For those who say it gives an unfair advantage, take a look at the position of Keynsham Town in the Western League division 1, and Winchcombe Town in the Glos Northern Senior League div 2 (equivalent to ECPL div 1)......