Cornwall Football Forum

Where are you?

roy missing me after only seeing you at work last week ahh bless , havent been signed on for a bit but have had some personal stuff to sort out ,but i do look at the forum most days to look out for yourself older , and now elder and sss to see what you are all up to and not forgetting mangle the fellow gooner and hope he keeps the red and white flag flying , cheers guys love you all

roy missing me after only seeing you at work last week ahh bless , havent been signed on for a bit but have had some personal stuff to sort out ,but i do look at the forum most days to look out for yourself older , and now elder and sss to see what you are all up to and not forgetting mangle the fellow gooner and hope he keeps the red and white flag flying , cheers guys love you all

Great catching up with you the other day steve, as always great bit of chat about the old days and current times!!

Nice to see all the old boys having a bit of a love in. But where is Father Isaac?

He is on a sabatical. Wandering the moors replenishing his high intellect and creating another on slaught for one of us!

I rather fear that Isaac may have been ex communicated. I wish him well - poor chap is just misunderstood.

strange when he is around everone wishes he wasnt but when missing everyone wonders where he is . he is good at getting under peoples skin but when he is not around there is nothing to contraversal to banter about the forums version of katie hopkins

I was excommunicated by my wife cos she said this site was letting in VIRUSES that were ruining her reception of True Blood and films by unusual South American and Swedish directors. Then there was the new Sedgemoor Ocean to cross....my old Tottenham friend escaped to the mountains of Treyew Road just in time.

Drove down from Stroud a fortnight ago to Goonhavern only to find the Tinners game cancelled but nobody had told the St Just secretary.....same old Combo League communication.

Why is this website on some kind of diversion sign that never gets you diverted every weekend ?...can Mr Chown enlighten us ?

Thank you for all the kind remarks.....I've also been working on my autobiography and have just got the point where I got a Combo League semi final postponed because I claimed two of the St Just squad had Mad Cow disease (they'd just had a fight with each other really)......we got Penzance club officers out spreading straw round Penlee Park till 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning, I nearly died laughing........it's nice to know I'm missed.

Controversy ? Haven't got an enemy in the world !

Well done Spurs for yesterday. I'm following Jose's very sensible lead and hoping our humble Blues can hang on to a top four position .....it was nice to win at the Etihad, but it's only a game and one swallow doesn't make a summer, does it ?

Sun came out today in Swindon ! It's an omen ! Where's that dove with its olive branch gone ? :)

Roy thought the order was finished. Rooney' money if true not right in this day and age 300k a week and how many utd fans struggle to watch their team when they can . Arsenal no better with prices they charge the working mans game no longer I am afraid ,can see where Roy Keane was coming from with the famous prawn sandwich speech the clubs are as the yanks call franchise , but we all still follow our teams even if we can't afford to see them from this end of the world

Following a team has become all but pointless in recent years, particularly in the Premier League, turn over in players, managers and even owners has become so swift that in a couple of seasons the entire squad can have changed.

While I still support my club (in the lower echelons of the English leagues), I have also followed a couple of managers. Seeing their style develop through different clubs as they climb up or down the tables gives a degree of continuity to supporting. Of course it would never work with the likes of Fergie and Wenger!

Following a team has become all but pointless in recent years, particularly in the Premier League, turn over in players, managers and even owners has become so swift that in a couple of seasons the entire squad can have changed.

While I still support my club (in the lower echelons of the English leagues), I have also followed a couple of managers. Seeing their style develop through different clubs as they climb up or down the tables gives a degree of continuity to supporting. Of course it would never work with the likes of Fergie and Wenger!

I agree, i dont think ferguson was particularly tactically minded, he ran his teams on desire and the fact that teams used to dread playing us. Wenger, in my opinion has not moved with the times, when he came to england he pioneered the game, diets, training,tactics etc but even he is getting left behind.

Would ferguson,mourinho,wenger all of been successful at somewhere like argyle, limited budget and squad??

I agree, i dont think ferguson was particularly tactically minded, he ran his teams on desire and the fact that teams used to dread playing us. Wenger, in my opinion has not moved with the times, when he came to england he pioneered the game, diets, training,tactics etc but even he is getting left behind.

Would ferguson,mourinho,wenger all of been successful at somewhere like argyle, limited budget and squad??

This is a very good point, and it is the reason why I believe that the title of 'Greatest Manager Of All Time' is a choice between Clough, Busby or Shankly. Their achievements are all the more impressive because they were earned on extremely limited budgets at clubs who, at that particular time, were not regarded as fashionable.

This might sound like a strange thing to say with regard to United and Matt Busby, but when he first took over at Old Trafford the club had nowhere near the level of support or the financial resources that they enjoy today. It was Busby who started the process off and made it all happen. Likewise, Liverpool were very much a small time outfit before Shanks got there and changed everything beyond recognition.

I can't imagine the glories of those three men ever being surpassed in football, no matter how brilliant certain other managers have proved themselves to be.

Herbert chapman won arsenals 1st trophy the fa cup and also 2 league div titles ,he brought in numbers on shirts and changed the strip from all red to red and white with striped socks he also won league titles with Huddersfield before taking over at arsenal he brought floodlights to highbury which were only used for training he died aged 55 but he had set the club up to win 5 league titles in 10years so a visionary back then which had set arsenal up at that time as one of the top teams in England , reminds you of arsene when he came to arsenal

Although a long time ago, one thing worth pointing out about The Gunners under Herbert Chapman is the record that still stands today for one team (in this case the mighty Arsenal) providing seven (7) players in the starting line up for an England game, in which England won 3-2 against Italy before you ask. Pure genius.

What did he win......that did put a smilke on my face.

NEVER RELEGATED SINCE.

Read it and weep.

Although a long time ago, one thing worth pointing out about The Gunners under Herbert Chapman is the record that still stands today for one team (in this case the mighty Arsenal) providing seven (7) players in the starting line up for an England game, in which England won 3-2 against Italy before you ask. Pure genius.

What did he win......that did put a smilke on my face.

NEVER RELEGATED SINCE.

Read it and weep.

NEVER WON A EUROPEAN CUP.

read it and weep. Herbert Chapman,pah, no real history.

1. No, Arsenal have never won the European Cup/Champions League. In fact, Arsenal fall behind Man Utd in a number of footballing statistics. League titles, FA Cup triumphs and so on. But they do have a couple of records themselves. Just saying.

2. No, Arsenal were already at Highbury by the time Chapman came along.

Yes, Herbert Chapman, the first of the 'super managers'. How did I forget about him?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when his Huddersfield Town team won their three titles in a row in the 1920's, their average gate was either the second or third lowest in the First Division in each of those seasons. It was quite some achievement to finish as champions.

Correct. Only 4 teams have ever had 4 league titles in a row in the top division - Huddersfield, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd, with the first 2 both under Chapman. I believe his achievements as a manager will remain unsurpassed.

There will always be debate about who was the greatest, but due to the different times, it is really impossible to clearly compare. They are all great is the only conclusion one should make!

Also, worth mentioning, even Chapman got involved in money issues, back in those days. There were strict rules about how much players could earn, and there were "under the table" payments made (allegedly) to attract/keep players on board!

Correct. Only 4 teams have ever had 4 league titles in a row in the top division - Huddersfield, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd, with the first 2 both under Chapman. I believe his achievements as a manager will remain unsurpassed.

There will always be debate about who was the greatest, but due to the different times, it is really impossible to clearly compare. They are all great is the only conclusion one should make!

Also, worth mentioning, even Chapman got involved in money issues, back in those days. There were strict rules about how much players could earn, and there were "under the table" payments made (allegedly) to attract/keep players on board!

I think the FA should look in to your allegations and if proven, strip the club of these trophies!!

Yes, I've heard that too!

I've also heard that Chapman had a penchant for getting the directors of opposing clubs blind drunk when he was conducting transfer negotiations with them, which was something he always took personal responsibility for. He would ply them with scotch while his own glass secretly contained only ginger ale, and by the end they would usually have agreed to sell him his transfer target at a knock-down price. Allegedly, he also used this tactic on occasion with the player himself if he was uncertain about whether or not he wanted to sign up. Happy days!

Strangely enough, the four managers we have mentioned (Chapman, Busby, Shankly and Clough) have one thing in common, in that they were all interesting individuals with complex personalities. This is quite unusual in football or any other sport. Normally, we can admire players or coaches for what they can achieve on the pitch, but it is rare for them to be of much interest beyond that. But those four were all engaging and fascinating characters, and the opportunity to travel back through time to actually meet any of them would be very welcome if it were possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when Chelsea were counting on Tottenham, Arsenal and Man U to stand up to City, they all choke and the Scousers wander in the back door to steal the Prem !

Although I have to say Suarez has been brilliant. He'll be somewhat handicapped in the penultimate game when Ivanovic has his new dentures in, however. This could even give England a better chance of getting out of the World Cup group stage. 9I'm an optimist).

Suarez would not have got away so lightly with trying to bite Ron Harris !