Cornwall Football Forum

EngLands ranking in world football

stevieb

with England dropping to 17th in the new rankings the lowest for twelve years , is this about right for the players available to play for the country? , where are the next batch of English players coming from ? as a country where has the quality of players gone to ? is it down to outdated coaches at grassroots level ? or down to the players themselves as they are now very rich young men before they have made it at the top level for club or country ? is there any light at the end of the tunnel or as a country do we have accept the demise of english football? is it down to old farts at the fa or the epl or the money thrown at the game via sky ?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is as true as when I said it about 2 years ago. Club footy (especially CL) is becoming more important and financially beneficial than internationals. The World Cup is every 4 years (should be every 2) and is not representative of the global game. The FIFA ranking are very much "guess work" and can largely ignored. How do you know Chile are better than England? Most PL supporters would rather their team won the CL than wish England win a world cup.

I think its more to do with the influx of foreign players, not many good english players are getting enough game time in the prem league.Let alone the champions league.

Englands capt aint played in the champions league for the past 3 seasons.

Baines, walker, johnson, dawson, jagielka, lambert, caroll, but to name a few only play against average players from the prem most weeks, then go on international duty and play against top class oposition.

Agree with some of that, but I'm now watching poor old Mr Potato Head who couldn't possibly risk infection in his head wound in an England shirt, racing around like a man possessed for the Mancs

The clubs now hold all the cards, they're owned and managed by foreigners who don't give two hoots about the England national team

It's not the FA who pay Rooneys £250k a week it's Man Utd, and as a result they decide where and when Rooney plays.

I hear all this garbage spouted every week about how much it matters to these players to pull on the England shirt. For some that may be true but only when it's convenient to them !

England will never get near a major final again - Ever !

Time for we Cornish to recognise it's not our national team ! :c:

I like watching England......when they win I celebrate good news for three or four Chelsea players.....when they lose I get excited and tell my wife it's revenge for the Stannary Parliament and the Battle of Lostwithiel and go on and on about trashing the Butcher's Apron.....

When they draw,like Tuesday, ugh, that was boring ! Course, they were missing Mr Potato Head, weren't they ?

Unfortunately, only 30% of the players registered in all the Premier League squads this season are eligible for the England team, according to the Daily Mail (or possibly Daily Express) a few days ago. That's less than one in three, even worse than many of us imagined, most likely. There just isn't much to choose from, and that's before any of them start suffering from injuries, real or otherwise.

God alone knows why anyone would want the England manager's job these days. Talk about being on a hiding to nothing......

Unfortunately, only 30% of the players registered in all the Premier League squads this season are eligible for the England team, according to the Daily Mail (or possibly Daily Express) a few days ago. That's less than one in three, even worse than many of us imagined, most likely. There just isn't much to choose from, and that's before any of them start suffering from injuries, real or otherwise.

God alone knows why anyone would want the England manager's job these days. Talk about being on a hiding to nothing......

Id like to have a go at it for £1million a year.

I'll do it from tomorrow, but I'm really worth more than a million. I'm even prepared to hire Somersetspur as my assistant and pay him in bottles of Woodpecker. I supposed that means a translator will be necessary.

Great day for the Combo League when Neil Curnow makes his international debut against Poland. Mr Potato Head will have to go back to wearing Number 9 to accommodate him. :c:

Time, methinks, for a British team. Bale would be an asset, particularly with the initials G.B. and we could, possibly find a competent Scotsman somewhere, even Isaac couldn't object to a Kernowman in such a team. Could get us up to sixteenth at a push! Certainly the component parts are only going one way. Perhaps the Ireland's could combine too. Would certainly cut the number of no hopers slogging it out in the lower echelons of World Cup and Euro. qualifiers!

Id like to have a go at it for £1million a year.

Yes, I suppose that kind of money isn't to be sniffed at!

Nevertheless, it would need to be good money to make all of the inevitable ridicule, vitriol and personal abuse worthwhile. It seems almost impossible to succeed professionally in that post these days. The Premier League is certainly the best and the strongest in the world, and I'm fully aware that the City squad contains plenty of foreign players, but overall it has not been to the benefit of the national team.

according todays mirror there are suggestions of having prem league reserve teams playing in the championship ,could this work? how would it work ? with only 30 per cent english players playing in the prem league would more english players make the grade if this were to happen ?

Given the gap in wealth between the top seven or eight and the rest, the sort of relationship now cultivated between Spurs and Swindon, whereby the less prominent club becomes a kind of academy for the larger one, could become the norm.

The same kind of arrangements could work well in Cornwall:

Pendeen could become St Just's academy club, for example.

Given the gap in wealth between the top seven or eight and the rest, the sort of relationship now cultivated between Spurs and Swindon, whereby the less prominent club becomes a kind of academy for the larger one, could become the norm.

The same kind of arrangements could work well in Cornwall:

Pendeen could become St Just's academy club, for example.

You're mellowing Isaac, thought you would have said PZ could become your feeder club.

• 3 weeks later...

well England are through wel done Roy after all the stick he has taken from the so called experts and unbeaten as well, a good game tonight and deserved victory and at least Roy has kept the expectations down and calmed the media to not over state how good we are , we have got through and we have to see next who we get in our group , England wont win the World Cup but hopefully we can all enjoy the ride,

I lost all interest in the England football team during the " Forrest Gump " era .During this time according to the press he was the greatest English player ever and the whole team had to be built around him .I will always believe that McClaren lost interest ( and his job ) because he did'nt want him in the England team because he slowed the game down , but was forced to play him for commercial reasons .Even now the cash registers are ticking , the kit sponsors intend to produce 4 new kits next season to capitilise , and recoup outlay , on the qualification .

Why is it that as a sporting nation ( taking Great Britian as a nation ) this year we have produced a world speedway champion , 2 possibly 3 world motorcycle racing champions , several world boxing champions , numerous world class athletes , a world class tennis player , some of the best formula 1 racing cars ,worlds top dart player etc etc . but rarely give these people the credit they have earned ? Yet we qualify ( only qualify mind you not win ) for the World football cup and the nation ( just England ) goes beserk . Lets be honest if England win the world cup , will it benefit local football ?, ignoring all the figures plucked out of the air by politicians about billions of pounds benefit for us all .

I think as regards the other sports I mention , the reason that their achievements go unoticed is down to the power of the press

When England won the world Cup in 66 it gave a great boost to attendances at all levels of the game. In the extremely unlikely event (22-1 seems a fair price) that we won it in Brazil, I am not sure that the same would happen again. The world has changed a lot in 48 years and the problems of all but the richest clubs will continue.

Baldy, I'm not so sure about that. Everybody seems to get right behind the England team during a tournament (only to suffer the inevitable frustration, obviously!). But I reckon that if we did somehow actually win it, then it would give a huge boost to most of the nation, despite all the changes that have taken place.

Having said that, I must be honest and admit that my appetite for international football is not as sharp as it once was following the stitch ups over the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. This is not because I am a sore loser. It is simply because the stench of corruption is absolutely overwhelming.

One of my dearest wishes at the moment is that, rather than disrupt the entire football calendar for God knows how many years to come, all of the major nations will simply decide to boycott that stupid little shindig in Qatar instead. After all, it makes about as much sense as trying to stage it in Greenland, and that's before all the other issues start to be considered. Perhaps we could use the opportunity to hold an alternative international competition instead? And if that leads in turn to the downfall of FIFA and UEFA.......BRING IT ON!

• 4 weeks later...

What is the point of international friendlies ?

Discuss

To give untested players a taste of international football. With the exception of Rooney,Cahill,Wilshere and maybe Lampard i cant see any of the others starting for England. I thought Lallana looked quite good, great touch and industrious.

Must admit rodriguez and milner looked really poor. First defeat in 10 games, and as the commentator said, whats the point of playing a side you will bang 3/4 goals past? That was a test last night, and im sure Roy will have seen and learnt a few things!

well Germany next up friendly or no friendly this is always a big game for us probably as big a game as playing Scotland for the fans and with Germanys dazzling talent on show lots of prem clubs will be watching to see if there are any more gems that can be lured to our shores , we can learn as a country so much from the Bundaslleague as their match tickets are very reasonable and the stadia fantastic and full grounds and lots of youthful talent ,

well Germany 2nd string showed us the way. our second string had one shot in 90 mins , llalana is a good prospect and jagielka looked the part we moved the ball around well but no service to Rooney who cant do it alone we are a lot behind the Germans who had near enough a full team rested , we now could play France , Portugal or Holland as like us they are unseeded we will need some luck and a good draw to reach the ko phase perhaps is the time to right of this world cup and play the under 21s and build for the next euros and beyond.

Looking at the squad.I don't think Welbeck is good enough,Henderson,Rodriguez,Johnson,Cole,Milner,dont cut the mustard.

Don't dislike the idea of using a load of U21s with Rooney,Gerrard,Lampard,Baines,Jagielka,and Hart.

Add Lallana,Townsend,Barkley,Shaw,Ward-Prowse,Caulker,Sterling,Wisdon,and the kid at WBA,Beranhio.

Nothing to lose.We may even be surprised.