Cornwall Football Forum

Massey Moans

todays west Briton back page Quote City Boss hits back at criticsm from rivals,

Massey denies claims from Helstons Syd Taylor & St Austells Dan Nancarrow that he was being discourteous to them,

it seems to me that Massey is trying to fit into Kevin Heaney's shoes by thinking he can say & do what he likes & get away with it & & to hell with the rest of you,

Know doubt the older City fans will remember that Massey walked out on Truro city before ( when he left Falmouth we were told that he had to give up Football because he had a bad Heart?,) when he could not get his own way, & he will do it again if things do not work out the way he wishes,

he is a man not to be trusted,

City fans do not say you were not warned!!

Hammers.

Massey claims that travelling is not an issue. Perhaps when the Helston or other local lads experience 600 mile round trips on a Saturday, getting back home around midnight, the possibility of 500 mile trips midweek, having to take time off work (if the bosses allow it) and getting back at 5am may give them food for thought.

Any aspiring footballer should want to play at the highest level possible, but personal circumstances may not always allow this. Good luck to those that try, just don't burn your bridges with your current clubs, you may need to go back at some point.

36.jpg

by 1mountaineer

Thursday, July 11 2013, 3:01PM

I thought players were free agents at this time of the year unless they have signed monetary contracts. How do the players know if the clubs they played for last season want then for the next. Managers of clubs all over Cornwall are nicking each others players or hoping to, by coming to Truro City players who have ambition are availing themselves to the only avenue open to them in Cornwall.
Kieffer Moore was a player found and developed by Truro City, the clubs miserable position last season resulted in the vultures swooping to get their players, Dorchester Town stepped in for him, he played a handful of games for them and the lad has moved on to Yeovil Town, a move that would not have materialised without the time taken coaching him at Truro City.
The philosophy at Truro City has always been that they would like to see their players benefit their careers unlike the critical managers of Helston and St. Austell who's only interest is to protect their own selfish egos.

Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk

CHEAP SEASON TICKETS AT TRURO CITY FOOTBALL CLUB. - Cornwall's gateway to the big time :c:

todays west Briton back page Quote City Boss hits back at criticsm from rivals,

Massey denies claims from Helstons Syd Taylor & St Austells Dan Nancarrow that he was being discourteous to them,

it seems to me that Massey is trying to fit into Kevin Heaney's shoes by thinking he can say & do what he likes & get away with it & & to hell with the rest of you,

Know doubt the older City fans will remember that Massey walked out on Truro city before ( when he left Falmouth we were told that he had to give up Football because he had a bad Heart?,) when he could not get his own way, & he will do it again if things do not work out the way he wishes,

he is a man not to be trusted,

City fans do not say you were not warned!!

Hammers.

I am a Truro fan,but Im with you on the Steve Massey debate.

Sid Taylor complaining about some-one being discourteous to him ........pot/kettle springs to mind on that !!!!!

Saw that man do the most discourteous act ever in a football semi once, his team completely dominating the game against lower level opponents decided he would take a lie down on the halfway line and wave to the crowd. The most un-sportsman like action I have ever witnessed. Pathetic in my world.

Big fish small pond, very few make it to the big time, cornish football is enjoyable for the players/clubs but it really is 3rd rate. A poor standard incomparison to clubs up the line. People rant in the paper, to be fair to steve, he is an ex pro, which deserves respect but do u honestly think he would care what nancarrow or taylor say about him, he has probably never heard of them! All joking asside its time people realised that this isnt the premier league. Just a small pond!

Posted Today, 03:14 PM

36.jpg

by 1mountaineer

“I thought players were free agents at this time of the year unless they have signed monetary contracts. How do the players know if the clubs they played for last season want then for the next.

No, Players are in effect free agents only during June. From 1st July onwards, any player who has not moved on (or unregistered himself) in June, will be deemed to still be a player of the club he was registered with the previous season, therefore the 7 days rule applies. It will be interesting to see if Helston & St Austell received the 7 days notice or the players moved to Truro during June.

Mountaineer, I think you'll find that Kieffer Moore was 'found and developed' by Torquay United before their Youth System folded - City were a beneficiary of that unfortunate situation.

I don't think you can blame any player on wanting to play at a higher level and in fact it should be encouraged - however, noting the economic time that we live in, young players who have an aspiration to play at a higher level must be counselled to the fact that if they wish to do so, the monetary gain must be far better than what they may earn in their normal job to make it worthwhile - probably unlikely for most I would suggest; especially as the prospect of moving further up the ladder (and thus higher wages) is slim for most of us South-Westerners due to location, travelling etc.

An interesting topic though - comments??

Mountaineer, I think you'll find that Kieffer Moore was 'found and developed' by Torquay United before their Youth System folded - City were a beneficiary of that unfortunate situation.

I don't think you can blame any player on wanting to play at a higher level and in fact it should be encouraged - however, noting the economic time that we live in, young players who have an aspiration to play at a higher level must be counselled to the fact that if they wish to do so, the monetary gain must be far better than what they may earn in their normal job to make it worthwhile - probably unlikely for most I would suggest; especially as the prospect of moving further up the ladder (and thus higher wages) is slim for most of us South-Westerners due to location, travelling etc.

kieffer was playing Sunday football before dave newts signed him on,then coached and bought him on,so what's that got to do with Torquay

No disrespect to Kieffer but when Dave Newton brought him to Truro he was a very raw talent,in fact you would be lucky to get 45 mins out of him.But with the coaching system at Truro and advice from the likes of Lee Hodges,Barry Hayles,and Andy Watkins,he gradually became a more complete striker.So I would say that his time at Truro made him the player that he is today.It's just a pity that we were not in a position at the time with the embargo that we couldn't put him on a contract

Posted Today, 03:14 PM

36.jpg

by 1mountaineer

“I thought players were free agents at this time of the year unless they have signed monetary contracts. How do the players know if the clubs they played for last season want then for the next.

No, Players are in effect free agents only during June. From 1st July onwards, any player who has not moved on (or unregistered himself) in June, will be deemed to still be a player of the club he was registered with the previous season, therefore the 7 days rule applies. It will be interesting to see if Helston & St Austell received the 7 days notice or the players moved to Truro during June.

Nemesis, Thank You for clearing that up for me, as there was a doubt I started with I thought, I think that opened the door for those who know better to reply,

Club managers have been slagging each other off in Cornwall for 60 years or more that I know off, in the late 1940's, early 1950's St Austell were the top dogs disliked because then they were accused of poaching the best players.

I should add we all know it is not only a Cornish practice it goes on everywhere and proving it is almost impossible, rightly or wrongly none of us can do anything about it.

I serious cannot beleive that the St Austell and Helston managers are moaning about Truro City when they have been the ones recently dishing out £100's in 'brown envolope' singing on fees to players who have also 'stepped up'. Ask Jason Champan what he got to 'transfer' from Falmouth Town to St Austell, it wasnt a pat on the back and a pack of pork scrathings.

Serious take a look at yourself.

Bagman, I was thinking along the same lines as KIT regarding Kieffer but must add about the support he got from the fans with City on their travels, early on he struggled at times but the travelling support was always there to lift him, I think there were times he was embarrassed to hear his name chanted because he wasn't use to it, a bit shy.

As supporters we want our players to go on to better things, in Kieffer's case he went to a rival club in the same league at a time we were fighting for our existence, that was not accepted gladly by many of us fans, now we wish him well, Truro City could not match the money Dorchester Town were offering him, for months now the Dorset Echo has been reporting about the dire cash flow at Dorchester who slashed their playing budget for next season and feared they may get relegated next season because of it, that may change now with the Yeovil cash.

Every City fan I meet be it on our travels or at Treyew Road wants the club to be the breeding ground for local talent and to share their accolades if they make the big time. To succeed is not easy, no matter what the sport, to reach the top takes time, effort and sacrifice. The Southern League is a step into football's shop window, I know little about the local talent training around Truro but am of the opinion that one of those players to succeed could be Liam Eddy if he has the desire. Some employers are prepared to sponsor players who work with them with time off without losing their pay, in return those companies join in the glory of having a semi professional footballer amongst their ranks, like the fans they join in the good times whilst sharing the not so good.

Like I said, I doubt steve has even heard of sid taylor or daniel nancarrow! Its a step up to a decent level of football, not the very average peninsula league

Mr Massey spent many years happily playing and managing at the 'very average' SWL (now Peninsula) level and will know both Sid and Nanks very well and could, one assumes, easily have picked up the phone to either.

i don't think any manager or supporter would begrudge a player looking to play at a higher level if he can but better to go about it the right way.

Ok, let me re-phrase that...i doubt with his contacts in football & after playing pro football for a number of years he cares what they think, I suppose that what I mean! Are you telling me helston or st.austell have lured players with a financial package....& thats for playing mickey mouse football!

Ok, let me re-phrase that...i doubt with his contacts in football & after playing pro football for a number of years he cares what they think, I suppose that what I mean! Are you telling me helston or st.austell have lured players with a financial package....& thats for playing mickey mouse football!

Why shouldn't he care what they think?

Would Steve Massey also be pleased to be told he was involved in Mickey Mouse football for so many years? And what is your definition of Mickey Mouse - Southern League?...presumably it is compared to Conference level given your reasoning?

Dear me - courtesy extends to every level surely.

Goodbye.

A real football supporter would not refer to the game they love at any standard as Mickey Mouse football.

Football is fun, no matter what standard we achieve we all enjoy kicking a bag of air about and it is ageless.

I assume the Mickey Mouse remark was to get a reaction from those who give their time for our enjoyment.

I admit to being confused why players in pyramid level 6 and 7 get paid, back in the 2010/2011 season when

City won the Southern League Premier Division they clinched it at Banbury, that day a Banbury official told

me their highest earner was only on £20 a week and that was for playing at level 3.

I enjoy my football, even in defeat as a spectator I am meeting people, we can always find something to laugh

about even though the mickey taking may be at our expense, we give it out so have to take whatever is directed

our way in retaliation or just talk. Yes football is fun.

It seems that the players involved did not tell their clubs what they were doing! If that's the case I would be more worried about that if I was the Heston or St Austell manager rather than Steve Massey!

I think you will find that the managers were annoyed because it was from the players that they were informed about being contacted from Massey.Surely it would not of hurt him to pick the phone up and speak to these people,he wants local lads and these managers are involved with some of the best players in the county, what will happen now because he has put their backs up they will do everythink possable to make it hard for him to get there players in the future.Show them some respect and I'm sure they will return the respect.

It seems that the players involved did not tell their clubs what they were doing! If that's the case I would be more worried about that if I was the Heston or St Austell manager rather than Steve Massey!

I think you will find that the managers were annoyed because it was from the players that they were informed about being contacted from Massey.Surely it would not of hurt him to pick the phone up and speak to these people,he wants local lads and these managers are involved with some of the best players in the county, what will happen now because he has put their backs up they will do everythink possable to make it hard for him to get there players in the future.Show them some respect and I'm sure they will return the respect.like they all pick the phone up don't they,double standards ,it funny how they are all so Snow White NOT

Every club approach players pre-season if those players want to go then that is up to them, I bet there is hardly a club in local football who have not had a player approached this year.

Can't see what difference it makes if they are massey,taylor,or nancarrow if you are a good manager you will be trying to add to your squad for the coming season

Did,nt Newquay get condemned from taking so many players from another club last season? Bet Careys out there trying to get players for Newquay this season thats what managers do!!!!!!!!!

A prudent move for Mr Massey would have been to appoint or even ask Mr Taylor and Mr Nancarrow to be his assistants and not the 2 'old favourites' that he has. Now that would be a bold, progressive move. The question is, would they be interested? I think not.

Obviously steve wasnt interested in them either! Why would he go for either of them when he has an ex pro & former truro captain in kirkup!! No brainer surely! Kirkup wouldnt be out of his depth at that level like sid or daniel cos kirkup has been in that profesional enviroment at exeter city I believe

Obviously steve wasnt interested in them either! Why would he go for either of them when he has an ex pro & former truro captain in kirkup!! No brainer surely! Kirkup wouldnt be out of his depth at that level like sid or daniel cos kirkup has been in that profesional enviroment at exeter city I believe

Taylor is a bit like Mourinho, that would benefit Truro. But he would be too big a personality, and that is why he wouldn't be asked .

Back to the actual thread, the only reason Truro are tempting certain SWPL players, many from the same division as their own reserves, is the budget cuts. This does not bode well for the players in their ressies who were possibly hoping to break into the first team. Truro were well known for spending £££s on bringing players from upcountry to play when they could afford it, they are still the biggest cash club in the area, but are cutting back, travel will be a higher proportion of costs in the coming season.

Players being approached in June is fair game, within the rules and as long as the transfer is registered by June 30th, no one can argue too much. What happens after that date is the same every year, players being spoken to illegally, promises of regular playing time, clubs waving wads of cash if they have it, etc etc. If a player can afford the time to travel 500/600 miles for away games then I say good luck to them, they are the lucky ones, not many down here can. Massey has brought in coaches and other staff, he will have listened to them carefully before seeing the Helston lads play. If you were a SWPL West player offered the chance to play against Crewe, you'd jump at it too.

Rights and wrongs on both sides, but as an ex-player who was never going to make it, good luck to those who can.

I think most of you are missing the point here! Fine to give these players a chance, but were they registered (therefore covered by insurance), if they were registered when? (during June) If not 7 days notice must be given! But obviously as such a professional manager I'm sure Mr Massey would have done everything by the book! !!!! Common courtesy costs nothing! Maybe that is too high a price for Mr Massey!

Not sure if the rules have changed but in the twenty odd pre seasons I've experienced pre season is just that,until you actually sign and play you first league or cup game players can play for who they like,I've known players play for three or four different clubs in pre season regardless of who they played for previously,unless a player is contracted which I doubt at swpl level,get over it it's been going on for years ,these players have minds of their own its not all masseys fault that his club play at a high level and players want to test themselves!

Not sure if the rules have changed but in the twenty odd pre seasons I've experienced pre season is just that,until you actually sign and play you first league or cup game players can play for who they like,I've known players play for three or four different clubs in pre season ,unless a player is contracted which I doubt at swpl level,get over it it's been going on for years ,these players have minds of their own its not all masseys fault that his club play at a high level and players want to test themselves!

Well said mate,you have hit the nail right on the head,(these players have minds of their own).What is more easy than to say YES or NO.

I serious cannot beleive that the St Austell and Helston managers are moaning about Truro City when they have been the ones recently dishing out £100's in 'brown envolope' singing on fees to players who have also 'stepped up'. Ask Jason Champan what he got to 'transfer' from Falmouth Town to St Austell, it wasnt a pat on the back and a pack of pork scrathings.

Serious take a look at yourself.

and what brown envelopes are those at helston then??

I think the players maybe like to wind every one up cos you are all so convinced there is money at helston...

You wouldn't see them in the third team dobbie... ;)

On a serious note, if there are no brown envelopes down the road, then I suggest you tell some of your players to stop saying there are!

I think the players maybe like to wind every one up cos you are all so convinced there is money at helston...

You wouldn't see them in the third team dobbie... ;)

On a serious note, if there are no brown envelopes down the road, then I suggest you tell some of your players to stop saying there are!

Just pulling your leg mate, it doesn't matter what colour those envelopes are!