Cornwall Football Forum

will arsene spend [the so called transfer pot]

35 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Have the players let him down - or has he run out of new ideas ? His philosophy of how the game should be played is good and proven. What's changed ? !

Yes some have , theo for one has flattered to deceive 140 k a week  never worth it ,  Mustaphi come in on a big fee , either injured or looking for a move . Xhaka  seems to slow for the premier league  especially under pressure , well beck always on the outside of tHe squad  either injured or coming back not prolific enough when fit  .  Arsenal move the ball to slow when counter attacking  , no mid,fielder that can dictate the game or protect the back four like of old Vierra , Pettit , or Gilberto Silva  , as Older has stated before very small  stature squad .  Lacking a skipper someone who can drive the team on the pitch . Arsene is 68 now and I think at the top level  he may have lost some of his old spark . I don't know what Bouldy does as his assistant but the defence can't defend  and that was where he played . Transfers now  all clubs have scouts everywhere  that was one of Arsene strengths when he came to the club , prices now for a squad player are in the 20- 30 million bracket. And the board are out to make money  . Pluses Jack Wishire coming back , Maitland miles not looking out of place , Holding has the basics to be a good defender , Reece Nelson looks a good prospect but that is what he is a prospect at present .  Still will support / follow to the day I die  but the  club at present are not at the races with the top teams in England  , but who knows  what will happen .? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transfer window about to open , Liverpool out the blocks with 75 million for **** Van Dyke, the premiership has gone mad  , which club will be the first to pay a 100 million  in the premiership ?  Crazy world of football , I can remember when Arsenal paid 333 thousand for Malcom Macdonald , .Trevor Francis the first 1 million pound player  in 1978 bought by a certain Brian Clough , how much longer can football sustain this amount of money .

7 hours ago, stevieb said:

Transfer window about to open , Liverpool out the blocks with 75 million for **** Van Dyke, the premiership has gone mad  , which club will be the first to pay a 100 million  in the premiership ?  Crazy world of football , I can remember when Arsenal paid 333 thousand for Malcom Macdonald , .Trevor Francis the first 1 million pound player  in 1978 bought by a certain Brian Clough , how much longer can football sustain this amount of money .

Just look at the stands when watching it on the TV...... big fall in interest in footy going on.

Only the big games fill the grounds now.

12 hours ago, Keith B said:

I can remember Clough buying Francis for 1 million pounds and then he sat him on the bench for a number of weeks. When Francis looked at him Cloughie said  '''son - there's only one super star at this club - and that's me''' !

No chance today if any manager went to a player like that today they would be on to their agent and get a transfer , I don't think when Jimmy Hill helped to abolish to maximum  wage he thought the power would  end  up with  players and their agents .

On 1/2/2018 at 07:37, Keith B said:

My understanding is - A contracted player can't get a transfer unless the club agree to release him. The only way a contracted player can get his contract ended, is if another club are willing to buy his contract from his current club ?

I would like to believe what you say , but how many players at the top level of they don't like a manager basically disruptive to a squad , eg Anelka when at Arsenal .

Forest were the better side. It’s not a crime. Credit to them. Arsenal were good in spells, but Forest better with their overall game plan over the 90 mins.

Arsenal have to play Chelsea on Wednesday in the first leg of the league cup semi final, and my guess is that it why the team selection was like it was. You can’t argue at Arsenal’s commitment towards the FA Cup. But I feel that this competition went down in the pecking order due to the semi final in the other cup. Not one of the fools, sorry, pundits, mentioned the game in 3 days time.

Arsenal still have a lot to play for this season, and I’m right behind them, supporting all the way.

UP THE GUNNERS!

18 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I know what you're saying but - don't you always play your best team if you want to progress in a particular league or cup ?

Well at least have some experience on the bench.   And we are the cupholders , Arsene has picked the team ,it failed badly , time has come for him to step down at the season end  and bring in some fresh ideas  to move the club forward  .His time is over  he has been a big part of Arsenal history  but his tactics are no longer good enough at the top level and it pains me to say that . Trouble is some fans still think he can still cut it at the top level  but in my opinion he can't .

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

very funny lol GIF

Very good older , you have been a bit quiet recently   

16 hours ago, Keith B said:

I know what you're saying but - don't you always play your best team if you want to progress in a particular league or cup ?

Sadly, no. I wish the opposite was true, and hated it when Man Utd even withdrew completely from the FA Cup a few years ago. But times have changed, the clubs have essentially got "2 teams", and its called rotation. Arsenal made 9 changes to the team that played Chelsea 5 days earlier, which is exactly the same amount of changes that Chelsea made to their side in obtaining a 0-0 draw at Norwich! No bones about the Chelsea team, or all the other premier league teams. It's just that Arsenal lost, and clearly, the situation is questioned. I just don't listen to the know-alls that shout about how Wenger got it wrong, did not respect Notts Forest (arrogant?), etc etc. Rubbish. Probably why they all have punditry jobs and not running a successful premier league team. Wenger has more FA Cup Winners medals than the lot of them put together!

Oh, and I agree with Stevieb that there should have been a better bench. However, with Ramsey, Giroud, Monreal, Kolasinac, Koscielny, Xhaka and Cazorla out injured, that probably had a bearing on team selection as well. I am convinced that on Wednesday, Wenger will field a first team that will not be considered "weakened" by poor team selection. And I expect Chelsea will too.

2 hours ago, Mangle said:

Sadly, no. I wish the opposite was true, and hated it when Man Utd even withdrew completely from the FA Cup a few years ago. But times have changed, the clubs have essentially got "2 teams", and its called rotation. Arsenal made 9 changes to the team that played Chelsea 5 days earlier, which is exactly the same amount of changes that Chelsea made to their side in obtaining a 0-0 draw at Norwich! No bones about the Chelsea team, or all the other premier league teams. It's just that Arsenal lost, and clearly, the situation is questioned. I just don't listen to the know-alls that shout about how Wenger got it wrong, did not respect Notts Forest (arrogant?), etc etc. Rubbish. Probably why they all have punditry jobs and not running a successful premier league team. Wenger has more FA Cup Winners medals than the lot of them put together!

Oh, and I agree with Stevieb that there should have been a better bench. However, with Ramsey, Giroud, Monreal, Kolasinac, Koscielny, Xhaka and Cazorla out injured, that probably had a bearing on team selection as well. I am convinced that on Wednesday, Wenger will field a first team that will not be considered "weakened" by poor team selection. And I expect Chelsea will too.

That's what they were both looking at. ....priorities.

OK – and a quick review of the team that lost to Forest:

Ospina: FA Cup Winner (started final last year) and Colombian International goalkeeper (81 Caps).

Debuchy: Has won French Ligue 1 title and the cup double in France. French international (25 caps).

Mertesacker: World Cup Winner (say no more), and started in the FA Cup Final last year.

Holding: FA Cup Winner (started final last year).

Maitland-Niles: World Cup Under-20 Winner.

El Neny: FA Cup Winner (came on as sub in final last year). African Cup of Nations RU. Swiss league champions 4 times.

Willock: Let’s say, a youngster!

Walcott: FA Cup Winner. International (47 Caps), lots of Champions League experience.

Iwobi: Nigerian International (12 caps), lots of Champions League appearances.

Nelson: Let’s say, another youngster!

Welbeck: FA Cup Winner (started final last year), International etc.

Why is that an arrogant team selection, Sutton? That team should be expected to compete with and "probably" beat a team from a lower division. Such a team selection has done many times previously. This time it came up short. Oh well, get on with it. Only 1 team will win the FA Cup this season, same as every season, so I look forward to all the others bowing out at some stage or another.

Ospina  kept the score down , he played out of his skin , Maitland , played well  but the rest let the club down and the fans , the so called senior players with over 600 premiership league appearances between them , the defence were shown up by an eighteen years old  championship player , Forrest average age was less than Arsenal and the caretaker manager out thought Arsene . The better side won on the day  and could have scored more  but for the keeper , agree with Mangle not arrogance from Arsene but he gambled and it failed badly  so as manager he carries the can and reserves the stick  especially on 8 million squid a year .

So, now let's see. Arsenal get an away draw at Chelsea. On paper, Chelsea had the stronger side, making 9 changes from their last game against Norwich in the FA Cup. with Arsenal still nursing injuries, and starting with 5 of the players that were beaten by Forest 3 days ago. So let's have a go at Wenger, he must have done something wrong......

Take an away draw , second !eg is anyone's , perhaps because he hasn't won the league cup he has made this a priority , but being old school in my opinion the FA cup is a bigger competition to win . I know we differ in Arsene but I think the time has come to step down at the end of the season the team / club needs  a shake up on and off the pitch  . Only one team can win the league  but in recent years we haven't really challenged  the top teams , that is where Arsenal should be with the so called resources at the clubs disposal .  The team defense is not good enough this season , this is down to the management and players , so where does the buck stop ?  Surely the manager who gets a good salary ? 

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Ouch !   Great away day :(

Team P W D L F A GD Pts Form
1 team hasn't moved Man City 23 20 2 1 67 17 50 62 WWon against AFC Bournemouth on December 23rd 2017.WWon against Newcastle United on December 27th 2017.DDrew against Crystal Palace on December 31st 2017.WWon against Watford on January 2nd 2018.LLost against Liverpool on January 14th 2018.
2 team hasn't moved Man Utd 22 14 5 3 45 16 29 47 WWon against West Bromwich Albion on December 17th 2017.DDrew against Leicester City on December 23rd 2017.DDrew against Burnley on December 26th 2017.DDrew against Southampton on December 30th 2017.WWon against Everton on January 1st 2018.
3 team hasn't moved Liverpool 23 13 8 2 54 28 26 47 DDrew against Arsenal on December 22nd 2017.WWon against Swansea City on December 26th 2017.WWon against Leicester City on December 30th 2017.WWon against Burnley on January 1st 2018.WWon against Manchester City on January 14th 2018.
4 team hasn't moved Chelsea 23 14 5 4 41 16 25 47 DDrew against Everton on December 23rd 2017.WWon against Brighton & Hove Albion on December 26th 2017.WWon against Stoke City on December 30th 2017.DDrew against Arsenal on January 3rd 2018.DDrew against Leicester City on January 13th 2018.
5 team hasn't moved Tottenham 23 13 5 5 46 21 25 44 WWon against Burnley on December 23rd 2017.WWon against Southampton on December 26th 2017.WWon against Swansea City on January 2nd 2018.DDrew against West Ham United on January 4th 2018.WWon against Everton on January 13th 2018.
6 team hasn't moved Arsenal 23 11 6 6 41 30 11 39

5 hours ago, Keith B said:

Day by the sea to forget stevie. Gunners dominated the first half really but lost their way in the second. Bournemouth finally woke up in the last 20 minutes and ceased looking scared of Arsenal. Thought that Wilshire was Arsenal's best player on the day.

Keith i had a nice trip to the seaside Sat night , fishing at long rock , no bites, bit like Arsenal  game at the moment , no bite  or goals 

4 hours ago, Keith B said:

Sanchez contract at Man U - 14 million a year !

I think footballer's wages have come to the ridiculous stage. No player on earth is worth this sort of money. People around the world are starving in millions and are homeless, suffering from all manor of disease and - footballers can get wages such as this.

Totally agree Mr "B" I have lost a lot of interest in the pro game, you just cannot justify their antics and diving ....cheating, cheating and cheating endlessly.

Then they go and pick up unrealistic money for falling over, if they had a real job, they'd be permanently on a sickie.

On 1/25/2018 at 23:05, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well done for getting into the final of the pub cup :c:

Now now older , you know you will upset Mangle as  all knows he likes the pub cup to be known as the Europa league ?

Now this is one domestic trophy Arsene hasn't won ,  tough final against City ,probably Arsenals only chance of a trophy this season , with no FA cup to defend , also rans  in the league and can't see us winning the Europa league . 

I don’t get upset, I just think it’s childish to call all the “trophies” stupid names, pretending that we don’t care about them. The League Cup may be bottom of the list at the start of the season, but, it’s a trophy. And one I hope we can win now we are in the final. And look at Man Utd. They won the so-called Pub Cup last year, and made it into the CL, even though they finished below Arsenal in the league. Call them what you want.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/arsene-wenger-stay-arsenal-teams-transcend-sport/

2 hours ago, Mangle said:

I don’t get upset, I just think it’s childish to call all the “trophies” stupid names, pretending that we don’t care about them. The League Cup may be bottom of the list at the start of the season, but, it’s a trophy. And one I hope we can win now we are in the final. And look at Man Utd. They won the so-called Pub Cup last year, and made it into the CL, even though they finished below Arsenal in the league. Call them what you want.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/arsene-wenger-stay-arsenal-teams-transcend-sport/

Pub cup it is then ......I'll settle for finishing above you lot ....happy days.:c:

14 minutes ago, gingerninja said:

As a Chelsea fan I'm not sold on us signing Giroud. I personally think he's an overrated pansy! Good deal for Arsenal though offloading an unwanted 31 year old player for £18m!

Giroud , shame he has left , good striker , not the best but will score goals , if I was a Chelsea can I would be so concerned as to why ,Chelski have bought him and before that were linked with Crouch , and Andy Carroll , very strange makes you think the chairman doesn't want the manager to spend anymore of his money . Hmmmm .

Arsenal sign Aubrey  !!!!! Arsene has spent the so called transfer pot !!!! And Ozil signs another deal .  Good day . Now await for the summer as a new keeper , couple of players who can defend , and a midfielder who can tack!e and break the play up . Don't want much do I ??? :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, stevieb said:

Giroud , shame he has left , good striker , not the best but will score goals , if I was a Chelsea can I would be so concerned as to why ,Chelski have bought him and before that were linked with Crouch , and Andy Carroll , very strange makes you think the chairman doesn't want the manager to spend anymore of his money . Hmmmm .

Arsenal sign Aubrey  !!!!! Arsene has spent the so called transfer pot !!!! And Ozil signs another deal .  Good day . Now await for the summer as a new keeper , couple of players who can defend , and a midfielder who can tack!e and break the play up . Don't want much do I ??? :thumbsup:

We certainly could've done with him tonight..... ???

6 hours ago, gingerninja said:

As a Chelsea fan I'm not sold on us signing Giroud. I personally think he's an overrated pansy! Good deal for Arsenal though offloading an unwanted 31 year old player for £18m!

He'll be used as a substitute most of the time.

5 hours ago, stevieb said:

You need a few spurs boys ....YO!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yeah - you were (!)

Sorry had to respond to the old boy , seen first half pretty even , didn't see the second doing my small bit on the line for my home team , accord!ing to reports spurs deserved it , and the keeper made some telling stops , was told Lacasette missed two good chances but draw would have been a. injustice , all banter aside spurs are a very good side and with a good manager , bragging rights at present from the white half of North London , and it pains me to say it at this time deserved .

3 hours ago, stevieb said:

Sorry had to respond to the old boy , seen first half pretty even , didn't see the second doing my small bit on the line for my home team , accord!ing to reports spurs deserved it , and the keeper made some telling stops , was told Lacasette missed two good chances but draw would have been a. injustice , all banter aside spurs are a very good side and with a good manager , bragging rights at present from the white half of North London , and it pains me to say it at this time deserved .

Could have been 6 to the yid army, and a draw would have gutted me.

Yes we are playing well and may win something - sometime ...we'll see.

Top 4 for the win these days.

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Could have been 6 to the yid army, and a draw would have gutted me.

Yes we are playing well and may win something - sometime ...we'll see.

Top 4 for the win these days.

Top four guarantees big money ???? , perhaps in hindsight Arsene was right about being in forth spot is worth a trophy , well it is to the owners of any club , cash is king . 

• 2 weeks later...

Well scrapped through , with places up for grabs for the final , I don't think any from tonight put themselves forward for ad place in the squad let alone a starting place , sums up Arsenals season at the moment ...... Frustrating  !!!!!!  I will pinch a saying from Older Always Next Season .....?