Cornwall Football Forum

will arsene spend [the so called transfer pot]

No. Arsenal should be winning this game. Arsenal are the better team, better squad, in better form. It is a derby, I'll give you that. And Arsenals often flimsy showings when it counts does offer Spurs a glimmer of hope. But look at the Spurs performances recently, and my money is on Arsenal. Notice how the Spurs guys all disappear from the forum when the going gets tough. If Arsenal lose 6 nil tomorrow, I'll still be here giving my honest opinions.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, any chance yet of admitting that the Arsenal squad is better than the Spurs squad? By my calculations, I make it 3 wins out of 3 against Spurs head-to-head this season. Or are you still holding out to the end of the season to contemplate your answer?

Great win today three points , and no goals against three clean sheets against the neighbours , has made my weekend , bit quiet from the spuds .. But we always expect that when they don't win ,like sticking the boot in when the gunners are down but quiet when the chips are down, can't here the cockerel crowing now .

You've been on the sherry early SSS. I'll give you Eriksen, class player, perhaps Adebayor, still getting around like a good 'un, and would give Bendtner a run for his money, and possibly Lloris. No defenders would get near it though. Vertonghenonagong is rubbish - you know that. Slow, clumsy. He can control a ball, yes, and pass, yes, but otherwise, he struggles. Townsend, where the hell did he go? Disappeared up his own a-hole. Shame. Walcott over him every day.

• 2 weeks later...

buy buy buy  class this summer another season and we get embarresed by the top sides again and again squad to short on class

will arsene be there next season to spend or in his case not buy the players we need if the club carries on we could be in for many years in the wilderness as a former top club , the fair play the club bangs on about ain't going to happen , and as a club we are as far away as ever from winning the league

Oh yes, he'll stay all right. He's got himself a cosy little niche at a club where there is clearly very little pressure to win anything. No doubt they will scrape into fourth place again, and Wenger and his directors will be happy with that, regardless of whether or not they win the FA Cup.

By contrast, City told Pelligrini when he signed up last summer that he would have to win five trophies in three years to be certain of keeping his job (according to the media, at any rate). So, even if we do win the Premier League this time around, he will have to find at least three more pieces of silverware over the next two seasons to meet the minimum requirement. 

This is what you call ambition, and Mr Pelligrini seems perfectly happy to accept the challenge. Somehow, I can't see Arsene being quite so contented.

No, this is what you call "football has been ruined by money".

Buying trophies is what you lot are arguing about. Not one person boasts about their academy - why? Because the interest is more about how many millions of pounds your team can spend on footballers that are supposed to be the best in the world and will win something. How worrying to hear the ultimatum that Pelligrini has allegedly got. Hold on, I know why he is happy. It's due to the immense amount of money he will earn come success or failure.

Buying trophies is what you lot are arguing about. Not one person boasts about their academy - why? Because the interest is more about how many millions of pounds your team can spend on footballers that are supposed to be the best in the world and will win something. How worrying to hear the ultimatum that Pelligrini has allegedly got. Hold on, I know why he is happy. It's due to the immense amount of money he will earn come success or failure.

Mangle you are full of rubbish.
You say Clubs buy trophies.
Yet with the Goons Stadium virtually paid for,and the highest season ticket and admission prices in Europe.
Why cant you buy a trophy?
I know,your Club is run properly,how it should be.
How much was Mr Kronke's new ranch.?
Its Goons like you,that let Wenger and the board fleece fans money to line their pockets.
You had one of your best oppurtunities,going into 2014 to win the Premiership.
The board would not invest in January,to push on your challenge.
Lacks ambition,but making money.A true success story.
You already summed up that attitude with a comment from yourself.
I would rather of lost to Everton in the F.A.Cup,than yesterday.
WHY.?????????????????????????
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MAKE MORE MONEY.

Exactly. At last my point is beginning to make sense to you. Winning the FA Cup - what did it do for Wigan last year? Relegation!

FA Cup - what will it do for Arsenal this season? Well, at this stage, it is a distraction to the league where the team is in a tight battle to stay in the top 4. So, it does not help. What is Arsenal win it? Well, great to win a trophy, I hope they do of course, but other than that, about 2 million quid income. The same amount (approximately) for finishing 4th in the PL and qualifying for the qualifying round of the CL. If finishing 4th, and winning qualification to the group stage of the CL, add another 8 million. So, qualification to the CL proper, about 10 million, against 2 million for the FA Cup.

Furthermore, players will be more attracted to the team in the CL as oppose to no European football. What with TV rights, financial rewards for wins in the CL games, income quickly rattle up (£20 to £40 million depending on how far you get). So, FA Cup -vs- CL qualification, that is why the start of the season, priorities are 1) winning PL, 2) winning CL, 3) top 4 finish, 4) FA Cup and 5) league cup

The aim, of course it to win something, and Arsenal have a great opportunity to do that this year.

Mangle, don't believe the hype. The Arab investment at Manchester City is very much a long term project, and the club has not 'bought' trophies any more than Chelsea, United, Arsenal or Liverpool have done in the past.

Although it is rarely mentioned in the media, City opened their new Etihad Academy last summer at a cost of £100 million. They are currently building up a massive worldwide scouting network with the aim of ensuring that the very best young talent from around the globe ends up being nurtured and developed in that academy, where the training and medical facilities are (according to those who have seen it) the very best on the planet. City are also very keen to recruit from the local area as well, which is why we have enticed Hyde United into a sponsorship arrangement that will be highly lucrative for them. Alongside our other scouting activities in the North West it will help the most promising local youths to gravitate into our orbit rather than going down the road to the Rags, like they used to in the past. The intention (clearly stated by the owners) is that the club will use the academy to be completely self-sufficient in players by 2027 at the latest. In other words, they are investing at all levels in the club to ensure that in around ten years time we will not be competing at all in the transfer market. Every one of our players will come through our youth system, and the so-called 'fair play' rules will be entirely irrelevant to us. The truth of the matter is that City are spending far more money off the field than they are spending on the current first team, and that is because there is a well thought out long term plan in place.

And as for the idea that the money is 'ruining' football or anything else, please don't please a word of it. According to articles I have read in various newspapers, the Arab investment in City has already created several thousand jobs in the Manchester area. This is not just because various parts of East Manchester close to the stadium have been regenerated; It is also a result of the owners extensive business activities in the locality, such as the one that saw Manchester Airport become the main European hub for Etihad Airways. The huge changes at City are good for reasons that have little to do with football.

I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound like Sheik Mansour's public relations manager, but I just reckon that the other side of the story doesn't always get much of an airing!

:)

Football is a business today as fans we all know that the working class game as with jumpers for goal posts ,as older says has long gone ,great that cities owners are investing in the Manchester area ,but so does a lot of other prem clubs with community work and academies , yes these are like cattle markets as arsenal have been doing like utd for years , not many make the grade , I am afraid in this day and age unless you have a sugar daddy you can't compete at the top level , or a bank or government like in Spain , arsenal have in us one of the richest men in Britain but even though he owns a great wedge of shares he is not allowed on the board , so if his money was allowed to be used would us gunners fans be up in arms I doubt it , it is now the way we all want the best players at our clubs and it comes with a price , at present the likes of City Chelsea can have players sat on the bench which would walk into most prem teams starting eleven , yes arsenal are self supporting at present and we are spun the yarn that we will be better placed when the fair play rules start taking effect , personally I don't belief it unless you have money the top prizes are beyond you we will never see another Nottingham Forrest in our lifetimes a team built by two great footballing people , getting like older now remembering the good old days of football when men were men

SteveG, how does this affect Rotheram, Exeter, Lincoln, Hartlepool and so on.....so Manchester City and the immediate area around the ground, and the local airport are doing well. Stevieb sums it up nicely in his reply. I appreciate that Man City are doing things, if what you say is accurate, and that is commendable. But money has distorted our game almost beyond recognition.

Rumours rumours rumours, arsene to sign five , 70, 100mill available for players , my god another preseason with all the top players linked , and wait for it who will we get? Perhaps the media need to think about what they write as it's World Cup year and usually no international players move until the cup is over and selling clubs hope these players shine as to get a few more zeros and agents get a bigger cut ,this is important this preseason as it will tell the fans if arsenal want to join the big boys or carry on competing in the second tier of epl

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth again what it could have been ? March was a disaster lack of depth of squad ,lots of injuries , perhaps the training needs to be looked at as to many first team squad were rushed back to quick or played with knocks , will the club learn ? I hope so , some real class needed to push on for next season , the squad players need to be moved on park ,bendtner fabianski, diaby vermalen maybe arteta , bring in three top signings and promote gnabary Salem to the squad and use them just my opinion but maybe a start

• 2 weeks later...

They couldn't handle Sherwood - I'd slaughter them. First thing I'd due would only pay them when they managed to put some effort in and gain a point (which they started with) No play acting, diving, strops or anything....out the door if they did.

Training would be mixing concrete by hand and barrowing it up a hill...then down again. All of that would just be the start, NAH! they'd love me.

They couldn't handle Sherwood - I'd slaughter them. First thing I'd due would only pay them when they managed to put some effort in and gain a point (which they started with) No play acting, diving, strops or anything....out the door if they did.
Training would be mixing concrete by hand and barrowing it up a hill...then down again. All of that would just be the start, NAH! they'd love me.

are you sure you weren't a prison officer in another life ? Hard labour no chance for today's players

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another signing , replacement for Sagna in both senses( France and the gunners) debouchy a proven prem league player early business this season , now a keeper to keep schezny on his toes and a combative midfielder and can look forward to the new season