Cornwall Football Forum

Unusual Cornish Football Programme

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be your first team Mark as the date on the programme is August 1959. The Combo only started playing it's games in that month on the 22nd.

Did Newquay win the league in season 1958/59 or sporting trophy as the winners of the first Combo season, Porthleven, played the rest of the league at the start of the 1960-61 season and won 7-6. So perhaps this is what the SWL did as well.

I have a collection of Newquay match day programmes from the fiftees including the one mentioned above.

This match was played when Newquay as 1958/59 South Western League Champions played The Rest of the League.

Incidently it was the first time that Newquay won that league and did so undefeated at home and scoring 123 goals, a record

to that date.

Some interesting names for us oldies to remember.

Newquay Team

Ken Simler, Jack Huddy, Mike Jones, Terry Iles, Morley Ball(captain), Ron Fullwood, David Pollard, Keith Hawkey, Viv

Folley, Ben Slater, Tony Pollard.

The Rest of the League

Halloran(St.Austell), Morrison(Falmouth), Kent(Truro), A.N.Other, Jefferies (captain Truro), Wherry(St.Austell), Rowden (St.Blazey), Sullivan(Falmouth), Foster(St. Blazey), Peach(Falmouth), Mattock(Truro).

Referee W. Pearce(Penzance) Bill I presume

Linesmen W Tremaine and G Thomas (Gerald I think)

Ron Blindell, President South Western League and Chairman of Plymouth Argyle was introduced to the teams.

I have been sent a copy of the Programme from the Newquay v RNAS Culdrose fixture on 12/12/1953 if you are interested the score was Newquay 2-9 RNAS Culdrose. It was sent to me by a Mr Brian Carter via our website. He now lives in the the north of England but was carrying the magic sponge for the Airmen that day. I can email a copy if you collect them?

Thats very kind Scooby, I'm not a collector of old programmes, my interest is more targeted to historical information I can use in our match programmes, directly related to the opposition of the day. Unfortunately, it is not financially possible to produce programmes for our Combo games, we barely cover costs for the SWPL ones. Once again, thank you for the kind offer, it is heartening to know the forum has some generous members.

• 1 month later...

Just won and paid for Truro City v Penzance from 1/9/1965.

Bidding went from £1.25 to £7.50 in about 3 mins.

Frightened the life out of me. Didn't think it would stop!

I saw that programme for sale as well Mike.

Perhaps it is the same as Penzance, as we hosted a game between two league clubs years ago, because the weather was bad up North so they came down here and played a match just to keep fit. Off the top of my head can't remember the teams.

I've got loads of truro city programmes from when they had league clubs down in the 80's and 90's.

QPR, Plymouth, Luton v Torquay, man city, man utd all with signatures in, the utd one even has Fergies in it..

Also got the newquay one from when they opened floodlights against west brom

I have a collection of Newquay match day programmes from the fiftees including the one mentioned above.

This match was played when Newquay as 1958/59 South Western League Champions played The Rest of the League.

Incidently it was the first time that Newquay won that league and did so undefeated at home and scoring 123 goals, a record

to that date.

Newquay Team

Ken Simler, Jack Huddy, Mike Jones, Terry Iles, Morley Ball(captain), Ron Fullwood, David Pollard, Keith Hawkey, Viv

The Rest of the League

Halloran(St.Austell), Morrison(Falmouth), Kent(Truro), A.N.Other, Jefferies (captain Truro), Wherry(St.Austell), Rowden (St.Blazey), Sullivan(Falmouth), Foster(St. Blazey), Peach(Falmouth), Mattock(Truro).

Ron Blindell, President South Western League and Chairman of Plymouth Argyle was introduced to the teams.

I played with Dudley Wherry a number of years before this game, also knew Ron Blindell, he told me I could have free admission into the directors box at Argyle any time I wanted but I politely said no thanks I prefer to pay at the turnstiles to view games from the terraces.

to that date.

Newquay Team

The Rest of the League

The Rest of the Leagues goalie was from Looe. Before my time but my dad reckons he was some keeper

My Dad can't remember what he did 20 minutes ago but I bet he'll remember all of those!

• 3 weeks later...

On Ebay

Illogan RBL v Bugle 1980-81

Cornwall Charity Cup

Performing at No.8 for Illogan- Dave Deacon

Secretary Tom Trust

Yes you are there Perry-the Bugle squad is-

K Smallcombe-N.Rowe-N.Henwood-G.Trudgian-M.Mullis-G.McKenna-A.Watts-R.Roberts-G.Fisher-D.Fisher-P.Bullock-D.Powell-L.Trudgian

Just for good measure the Illogan libeup-

Dave Gilbert-Robert Warne-Malcolm Gilbert-Lester Thomas-Mike Long-Des Coade-Richard Jewell-Dave Deacon-Rodney Bailey-Salvi Barbagello-Chris Rowe-Chris Williams

• 3 weeks later...

Its been good day for me on EBay today

Sold my programme Porthleven v Plymouth Argyle(friendly)1971-72 for £112-00

If any one out there who has one there were 5 bidders competing for it.

Also today I bought the very first South Western League Handbook (1951-52) for only 0.99p

If any founder club would like to see their in depth history write up I could scan the page for you (when it arrives)

• 4 weeks later...

And one that I need for my collection. Talking of which, with many Cornish clubs now in or close to the 125th Year mark, have any got special badges ordered ? I will be doing one for Newquay AFC 125th Year for Jan 2015 and recently did the Vice-Presidents badges for the club from http://www.pwpins.co.uk/contact-us.html They helped with the design to our requirements including many amendments, used old style enamel and modern materials, did the production of 100 badges for £107.00 inc delivery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there a re some pretty avid Argyle collectors out there ( and I am one of them...) but I didn't go after the Porthleven friendly....I have a spectacular friendlies wants list ...way too big to post here but being exiled in Kent I don't get to the games but I am always interested in Argyle friendlies in Cornwall, especially pre 1990

Main clubs I am missing loads for are Saltash, Liskeard, Falmouth, Truro, Torpoint,Newquay and the St Just Feast Day games...

I'll pay a minimum of a fiver for any I need and much more for the odler ones..plus whatever we agree I will also donate to your club!

My email is peter@peahengames.com

happy to send my list to anyone interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hang on, Truro Reserves were in the Combo from 66/67 to 74/75 and from 78/79 onwards.

Must be before 78/79, it is priced 3d.

Thanks Mark well spotted,
I am guessing it is 1966-67 as the programme without any date says"in their first season of being elected to the Combination League after a lapse of a few seasons"

I have ammended

Are you sure it isn't the 78/79 season as how can it be 66/67 if it was their first season in the league after a lapse of a few seasons,

Hang on it can't be as Truro didn't play Newquay in that year.

Could have been 74/75 when Truro City first team played in the Combo. If so it was a 1-1 draw.

If it is the 1966/67 season

Played on 17th December 1966

Newquay Reserves 0-6 Truro City Reserves

I think the "after a lapse of a few seasons" was guess work and I am going with this date (17th December 66) as the programme advertised forthcoming fixtures-

December 26th. v Illogan CL 11-00am (Newquay SWL at Wadebridge)

December 31st. Helston 1st.Rd.Charity Cup 2-15pm

Just for good measure these were the lineups

Newquay

.Bullock-R Fullwood-A Wilcock-T Bedding-G Veale-A Brenton-M Perry-R Brenton-A Roberts-G Andrew-P Chadwick

Truro

P Collins-V Salmon-K Trewhella-A Edmond-R Phillips-H Richards-D.Hawke-M Greeno-B Solomon-A Hill-(A Another)

Referee P J Freestone

Currently on ebay...1933 St Austell v Plymouth reserves.

Anyone have a clue if this is genuine? By my research 5th of February that year was actually a Sunday! However have never seen a St Austell programme of that age so no idea if it is the real deal...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aw-cgi-/221301876900?

According to GOS the first team played on the 4th that weekend which would conform the Sunday for the 5th...

Seems a lot of effort to make a fake though!

Peter

Argyle Reserves won The Southern League that season, whilst St Austell were in the Cornish Senior League, it is unlikely that they would have met, even in Cup Competition unless it was a 'friendly' match.

However, the date is somewhat of a concern, as does the fact that the seller does seem to list many programmes (Rugby & football) with a Plymouth or Chelsea interest, every few months or so, the main items being train sets and accessories. I'd like to be able to read the text this would no doubt shed light on what type of match this was.

According to my CCFA Centenary book

In season `1938-39 St.Austell were Plymouth & District League Champions and the P.&.D Charity Cup

So there is a good possibility they were playing P & D football in 1933 and its likely Plymouth Argyle had a side as well,

1937 St.Austell were runners up to Plymouth Argyl "A" in the P.&.D. League

Currently on ebay...1933 St Austell v Plymouth reserves.

Anyone have a clue if this is genuine? By my research 5th of February that year was actually a Sunday! However have never seen a St Austell programme of that age so no idea if it is the real deal...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aw-cgi-/221301876900?

According to GOS the first team played on the 4th that weekend which would conform the Sunday for the 5th...

Seems a lot of effort to make a fake though!

Peter

Over 3 Days of bidding to go and it has reached £62-00

Still there as of a minute ago....

I have a 1912 Argyle home ...there is no yellowing or fading...depends how they are stored...also he has positive feedback on previous old items including one that went for £310 ( rugby types eh)

Not sure about the paper size...it doesn't look standard A4 to me ....he may just be using that as a guideline...