Cornwall Football Forum

No more Argyle for me now Mccormack is there

I have been going to watch Plymouth Argyle play for 46 years and i will not be going this year at all now they have signed Luke Mccormack my opinion is he should never be allowed to play on any pitch again .Im thinking if it was my son and grandson he had killed by his drink driving would i wont to see him earning a living from football again no i would not .his sentence was way to leniant he knew what he was doing jumping into his car after he had been drinking all these do gooders would say he served his sentence while what would you think if it was your child he had killed you would be bitter i would if it was mine .So Mr Brent i will not be supporting Plymouth as long as he is there i will stick to watching my home club of Newquay and also be visiting Godolphin as well .Plymouth have a good goalie in Jake Cole anyway why sign McCormack

I'm with you 100% Cornish. I boycotted anything to do with Truro City while he was on their books, and I will do the same with Plymouth Argyle.

Yes, he may have served his sentence but I reserve the right to disagree with how long he got and how quickly he got out.

throw away the keys for drunk drivers.

Correct Richard, couldnt agree more. I have friends that follow Argyle & they all share the same thoughts & opinions as yourself. I think its vital to be on this forum to remind players & managers that drink driving just once could prove fatal. At peninsula level football players and managers recieve envelopes on matchdays which means you have a duty to represent the clubs you get paid by, your actions can tarnish the good name of your club & more importantly ruin lives. I know i sound like a moaning old git but it takes a very weak person to get behind the wheel of a car after consuming alcahol. Think of your actions before making that decision.

Guest BenTheYeti

He could earn a living in other ways though, not potentially being a hero footballer to an unsuspecting child...

Guest BenTheYeti

He could earn a living in other ways though, not potentially being a hero footballer to an unsuspecting child...

Ridiculous.

Why so?

I understand the above sentiments i have two children as many from above im sure however, Abbo is right he earns his living as a pro footballer, if a guy had done what he has done as Abbo states as a plumber no one would now be talking of him, WHY cos no one other than perhaps the small community he lives near would no anything about him. Luke is in the spotlight as a footballer therefore he will be talked about this for ever, i hope and am sure he wakes up everyday with the guilt of what he has done im sure even being drunk he wont forget what a terrible tragedy he created that day. As for yourself 100% cornish 46 years is remarkable don't let one man take away your enjoyment of all those years. My son Spud (nickname) im not that cruel a dad, has a season ticket at argyle and has been raising money for the www.justgiving.com by selling argyle memorabilia many players have donated boots, shirts, everything including a pair of gloves from luke when at oxford this season, he told my son he would love to return to argyle and chatted to him for a while and wished him well. My son is 15 and came home to tell me what he said the gloves were sold to an argyle supporter for £100.00 on his charity page. My point is the money raised from those gloves is helping a child with a short life to have a special moment while they are still able to. As for my son he was so chuffed with luke and thinks his signing is great, i understand reading this bit that my son is young and does not understand the full impact of perhaps such a tragedy and luke cannot make it right but he can only do his part from now on. As i write this i hope i never know the true feelings of that poor family that survived and perhaps my feelings may differ but as i see it now i say let luke help Argyle and as many kids like my sons charity as possible.

I have nothing against Luke i have met him severel times at different functions and hes a nice bloke but what he done was wrong he should never of got into his car after he had been drinking ,if he had killed my boys would i be so forgiven i dont think so .I said i wont be going to Plymouth anymore at the moment but its hard to give it up after so long i got green blood in my veins and will always be my team i remember my dad taking me to see my 1st game a reserve game vs Spurs res and Jimmy Greaves was playing after returning from playing in Italy i think the crowd that day was 20 ,000 i still got the prog but the 1st proper game i saw was vs Middlesboro in the cup Derek Rikard scored the winner for Argyle .

I have read the various responses to this post, everyone is entitled to their opinion of Luke , however I very much doubt that anything said about him comes close to how he feels about the whole tragic situation, he has to live everyday the rest of his life with guilt, regret and remorse, I cannot imagine that comments on here will make him feel any worse than he already does and will continue to feel, because he is a footballer does that make him more accountable . He has completed his prison time he will never finish his personal sentence. In closing be very careful about adopting the moral highground we all have mortal infallabilities can could find ourselves responsible for causing such grief to innocent victims without any preconception to do so.

I have read the various responses to this post, everyone is entitled to their opinion of Luke , however I very much doubt that anything said about him comes close to how he feels about the whole tragic situation, he has to live everyday the rest of his life with guilt, regret and remorse, I cannot imagine that comments on here will make him feel any worse than he already does and will continue to feel, because he is a footballer does that make him more accountable . He has completed his prison time he will never finish his personal sentence. In closing be very careful about adopting the moral highground we all have mortal infallabilities can could find ourselves responsible for causing such grief to innocent victims without any preconception to do so.

Without any preconception? Who gets into a car after drinking as much as he did? It was, quite literally, an accident waiting to happen.

Some excellent points made on this topic ( especially Marksy ) but I think that the argument about what he does for a living is not really tenable. I've yet to hear seven odd thousand people chanting the name of a plumber or an electrician. Whether you agree with it or not, fans, and especially young fans, do idolise footballers. Even the ones in the lower divisions.

Football as a profession is probably the most cynical and principle free business in the Country, and to me, it appears that Argyle let Truro test the waters of public opinion and then decided that they could get a very competent goalkeeper for next to nothing.

Taking aside, time served, living with the guilt etc etc, I know how I felt when I looked across at McCormick playing at Home Park earlier this season, and I know what I felt when he received warm applause from the home fans.

I'm not the sort to stand and boo the man, but what I can do is vote with my feet.

I won't go again while he's on the playing staff, I've told Argyle not to send me any more e-mailed newsletters etc and made my feelings clear.

It's all a matter of choice really, but I would think there are quite a few " fine weather " fans who feel as I do

On the Argyle website he has said he will donate a large sum of money to a child-based charity and do a lot of charity work. I agree that it is an emotive subject and as been said, I bet he suffers for his guilt every day but he has taken the punishment given to him, yes given to him by people who are supposedly in touch with reality and it was not his decision when he was let out, so what is he supposed to do? If he took his own life due to the guilt, then people would call him a coward and probably worse so he will never please anyone. A very sad situation but those who adopt the moral high ground about drink driving? Can you really say you have never done it? THere for the grace of god goes many people.

Agreed, he has a life and he has to get on with it as best he can. I'm not adopting any moral high ground, I've made a decision not to pay money to watch him play football.

On the subject of drink driving - There are thousands of people who haven't / don't do it. I'd also say that there is a difference in driving after two pints ( and being legally over the limit ) and being behind the wheel when absolutely blind drunk

Agreed, he has a life and he has to get on with it as best he can. I'm not adopting any moral high ground, I've made a decision not to pay money to watch him play football.

On the subject of drink driving - There are thousands of people who haven't / don't do it. I'd also say that there is a difference in driving after two pints ( and being legally over the limit ) and being behind the wheel when absolutely blind drunk

I bet the families of other victims would not agree.

I agree with Dave seems silly as I said in my other post to punish yourself and not watch them play. Will Luke be the no.1 if not perhaps you may reconsider I don't actually follow plymouth like my son but I believe they have a cracking keeper already. One final point the website for the argyle fans is called pasoti plymouth argyle supporters on the Internet . They have a poll of Luke 64% want him at the club and in the goal, 24% say no and 14% are undecided, not sure you can be undecided with these circumstances however they are. If the 14% change there mind to yes with perhaps his performances etc that's 80% . My final point is argyle have a good attendance record, I'm guessing here but if the average home gate is 5000 can they afford to lose 1000 of those supporters!!! Where will they go local clubs like 100% cornish, mmmm I'm not sure but time will tell.

I go to every home game spending at least £50 a time i go up on the coach from Newquay athink nd go to the ground like i have done for the last 46 years but i just think its wrong Argyle hve signed this man after what he has done i may of gone over the top but he has killed 2 young lads who will never get the chance to play football again while Luke will still be doing something he enjoys doing he is a very good goalie but he will have a hard job to displace Jake Cole saves Plymouth many times this season .I expect i will still go to Argyle to support local youngster Issac Vassel who hopefully will break into the 1st team more this year .

Luke came to Truro City to help us out in our hour of need, he did likewise with Oxford United.

For Truro he made some excellant saves, any other keeper and I would be chanting his name,

without thinking about it I found I automatically could not respond in the same way, I think that

is a senario he will live with wherever he plays. It didn't stop me watching Truro City.

I go to every home game spending at least £50 a time i go up on the coach from Newquay athink nd go to the ground like i have done for the last 46 years but i just think its wrong Argyle hve signed this man after what he has done i may of gone over the top but he has killed 2 young lads who will never get the chance to play football again while Luke will still be doing something he enjoys doing he is a very good goalie but he will have a hard job to displace Jake Cole saves Plymouth many times this season .I expect i will still go to Argyle to support local youngster Issac Vassel who hopefully will break into the 1st team more this year .

Your £50 would be better spent and well received by supporting your local club, Newquay AFC. For just £30, The Peppermints would happily make you an Honorary Vice-President, you would have your name in each match programme alongside Matt Le Tissier, Ray Wilkins and others. You would also receive a limited edition, VP badge. Perhaps if you got involved at Mount Wise, you could put your time and money to good use, willing volunteers are always welcome, you'd be doing the club a great service as well as making friends along the way. We also have fun days out to away games, no need to miss out on travelling to watch football.

As for the 'keeper, I'd be uncomfortable with him at my club, so understand the concerns of those who side with the family.

my grandad Richard Honey was a treasurer when the team was Newquay Rovers my dad was Newquay football team mad he sold progs and used to do lots of funraising Newqauay fc was his life Bill Pearce .I will watch Newquay more this year but i think McCormack wont be at Plymouth very long so i expect i will be at Home Park as usual ,thanks for the offer nemesis i may take your offer up sometime it would be good to be involved with my local team like my grandad and dad was

my grandad Richard Honey was a treasurer when the team was Newquay Rovers my dad was Newquay football team mad he sold progs and used to do lots of funraising Newqauay fc was his life Bill Pearce .I will watch Newquay more this year but i think McCormack wont be at Plymouth very long so i expect i will be at Home Park as usual ,thanks for the offer nemesis i may take your offer up sometime it would be good to be involved with my local team like my grandad and dad was

bring your boots you might get agame as they are a bit short of players at the moment ha ha

Bit old for that now Stevie hope they can rebuild in the summer

age is only a number ,well thats what i keep telling myself ,newquay will be fine as all clubs at times go through lack of player and there are still some great people behind the scenes at newquay ,have a lot of time for newquay as my daughter played for the ladies in goal [ mainly reserves ] and they really looked after her until she went to uni ,she had had a bit of a rough ride with a couple of local teams [ told she was not good enough by one manager when she was fifteen even though she was in the cornwall under sixteen squad] they took her in made her work hard and she reaped the rewards ,so when we head up to mount wise usually with the combo side i always look out for nigel [the womens physio ] and pete buttery [sorry if i spelt his name wrong] so good luck to newquay for the future ,i am afraid to many people are ready to knock clubs but wont do anything to help

At the age of 12 my older brother (16) was killed when a car mounted the pavement and took his life with one hit, he was with a friend at the time on holiday. The man responsible was later charged with drink driving, 2 year suspended sentence for manslaughter and band for 2 years. He claimed he drove off to get home to call the ambulance and had some whisky to calm his nerves. He actually drove up the pavement, I find it hard not to believe he was drunk at the wheel.

The memory of finding out this will live with me to my grave. I have seen the affect it has had on my family, his friend and the community around us.

Although nearly 24 years later I still feel the man responsible has the worst memory of this all. He has killed another human, a young person at that.

He didn't set out to kill my brother and events that lead up to the accident might have been obvious of something bad happening. Would I wish him harm, NO. Would i wish him to lose his job and never work in his field of employment. NO

I fully understand the sentiment of this thread but if you really want to make a difference. next time you are in a pub and see someone drinking knowing they are about to drive afterwards. Maybe point out to them its illegal and dangerous and call them a cab.

Drink driving is about education. You not turning up to a game cos one of the many people employed by the club killed by doing it, isn't going to stop it happening again.

Confronting people you know who drink drive WILL.

Sorry to bring the tone down

A very respectful reply corn boy , this event changed the whole course of yours and your families life. But as stated u would not wish to see the man responsible with no job or future. It must take a great deal of courage and love to feel no malice toward this man, as u stated he did not set out to kill your brother. Thanks for the post , took a lot to write even that I would imagine.

Thanks for your comments, it was tough but maybe never seeing or meeting the man helped, who knows.

I didn't want to be all high and mighty with my story. I just want to share my story and how I feel from a victims family point of view. Who's to say they feel the complete optisite.

The main point i want to make is you can do far more to stop this happening again by helping those around you.

Drinking and driving does happen but we need to help make it way more socially unacceptable.

DONT TURN A BLIND EYE WHILE OTHERS DO IT INFRONT OF YOU

totally agree that mccormack deserves to be excluded

his arrogance caused him to beleive he could drive in the manner he did

and football the platform creates these players devoid of humanity

its about time the fa developed policy on education of players social responsibilities

military service personel are educated on weapons in combat and weapons in civvy street

footballers need to be educated that the spoils of their success such as alchohol and big cars are requiring special care so as to not endanger or damage lives

football is a community sport and anyone who breaks the ethos should leave especially when those killed cannot return

the arogance starts at any level and it is our duty to educate and protect everyone

Well a simple word as rubbish needs attribution

if he was driving a yaris or a morris minor the damage would be less

he drove intixicated after a party losing control of a heavy dangerous lethal weapon with no regard for consequence or public safety killing two innocent young boys

so unless the CPS lied in court we know the basis of his conviction

you may be mature and experienced in many spheres but mccormack failed to respect the trappings he attained from fans including young boys buying kit and going to games

so the attribution is unequivocal

i read a response , your word and if you cannot articulate save your critique

i may be half your age but am no schoolboy

football has a responsibility to society as it is society who pays for the players big cars and parties

gone are the days of respectful responsible players

Well, I only subscribe slightly to the responsibility of footballers - its only a game - sometimes.

I suggest you watch the international news to see a lack of social responsibility at its ugliest.

All sort of miscreants come out of jail with a massive helping hand to see them on the way, and their acts were premeditated. They certainly are allowed to make their way in life, with their old skills if they choose to do so.

For me, the fella has done his time as required under English law, and that is the end of it for me. Its the law, right or wrong, but its all we've got.

Those that disagree, must make their own decisions as to watch or not, no skin off my nose. However if you put your thoughts on a forum, expect a response - you will get one.

Its called life - git on with it. Critique enough.

Having watched argyle for years and now watch alot of the youth sides play, my view is yes the man mad a very crucial error in his life and ruined a family and friends lifes with what he done. he didnt really serve his time tho did he? the dad living in a wheel chair for the rest of his life or the 2 lads buried or the mother that has to sleep every night with all this. but this isnt my argument.

watching argyle youth sides play i see many youngesters hoping to get contracts and take a step to play for there local childhood side. now is this being taken away from the young keepers argyle have by signing luke? he had his chance at being a pro and ruined it with an act he will never be able to take back. is he not harming a talented 16yo at making a debut or getting a chance because he is sat in the dugout or taking his time at training?

this is my view and my view only!!