Cornwall Football Forum

Can England really qualify for Euro 2008??????

Guest Cornishdave1980

Guest Cornishdave1980

Let me start by saying I want England to win everytime they step onto the field.

However i am becoming more disbondent with our current crop of International stars and their FA pleasing boss. We have just witnessed an international friendly against and lets be honest, a 2nd string German team who apart from the first 25 mins of the game looked comfortable and looking at the England bench was that a bench that could change a game, i personnaly don't think so.

I appreciate the glowing light from this game was Richards performance but lets be honest is a right back going to win us games?

Add to this average performance the growing list of players who are currently injured and what are we left with? a selection of players who are either not match fit or a group of players who rarely play for their clubs.

With these 2 difficult games coming up, fortunately both at home, can we really get max points and push on to qualify?

What are the readers opinions?

Guest el nino

I think we will qualify, we always seem to like doing things the hard way over here! Macclaren needs to drop Lampard or Gerrard as Hargreaves will be in the middle unless he wants to play 5 in midfield. I hope he plays an attacking team. Micah Richards needs to be at right back. Maybe Wright Phillips out wide??? Any way come on lads get a little bit of pride! :c:

Guest Cornishdave1980

McClaren to drop either Gerrard or Lampard i cant see it, if both fit Gerrard is for me, the far better midfielder. However in the word of Mike Bassett " we will be playing 4 4 f*cking 2" i think thats the way should play. The problem is always going to be goals and i dont see an English striker out their at the mo who can bag us goals consistently!

I think we need to be realistic, rememeber since 1966 we have reached 2 semi finals and god knows how many quarter finals in both world cups and european cups and that is a good record so if England do make Euro 2008 and they do get knocked out in the quarters or semi i would think they have hit their level again. We dont have the strike force to take it to the next level.

I think we'll qualify. Lampard should be dropped and with Gerrard and Hargreaves in the middle we'd destroy most teams. Wright-Phillips is a good shout, but I'd still pick Beckham when he's fully fit, his crosses and dead balls have created the majority of England's goals when he plays, the man is sill a legend in my opinion!

i think it has to be hargreaves and gerrard with hargreaves sitting allowing gerrard to push forward meaning lampard has to sit the games out also we cant play these qualifiers with an unfit owen against germany if he was fit he could have had a hat-trick but was 2 yards off the pace through out most of the game. joe cole has to play and i personally would have shorey ahead of ashley cole as i dont think cashley cuts the mustard anymore (to busy spouting off in the papers about how good he is) on the right it has to be richards and a 100% fit beckham as we look most like scoring from his distribution

just my humble opinion

this england management lark is a piece of p!*! :lol:

I agree about Lampard, I think he's nothing more than an average player at best. Ok he scores around 15 goals per season on average BUT if I was to have 15 shots per game in every game I played, I would also regularly score that many per season. Gerrard is twice the player that fat frank is and Hargreaves alongside Gerrard is the shout I agree with. I would not pick Becks though. Whats the point?. As an international player he only has 12 months maximum left on the clock and the circus of publicity that follows him around is nothing more than a distraction for the rest of the squad. Wright-Phillips is back to the form he had at Man City and is indeed a good option for the right wing position.

However, there's a certain Aaron Lennon to come back from injury and IF he can actually do what Christiano Ronaldo did at Man Utd and find an end result to the superb runs that he can make, he will become one of the most feared wingers in world football and I would say that even if he played for Arsenal.

There's also David Bentley from Blackburn who is a heck of a player who can dribble,take a player on,pass superbly,cross accurately and has a very good eye for goal. I believe that he and Lennon are the way forward for the future and hopefully soon we will get a manager who has the balls to give Wayne Bridge, Gareth Barry or Stuart Taylor a run in the side and a chance to prove themselve's because they all deserve it and would easily do better than those that the gutless McClaren picks each time.

Can anybody really blame Carragher for not wanting to play under that clown.

Guest Peppermint

I have to agree with coopsie and although as a patriotic supporter of England I want them to win all matches at least if they do not qualify we may get rid of the utterly useless McLaren. There is no guarantee whether the clowns at the FA will get rid of him though.

He should not have been appointed in the first place because all you got was more of Sven.

carragher has done everyone a favour by retiring the man is never international class and has no place in an england shirt and in my opinion he is not even fourth or fifth in the pecking order.

he is a good player for liverpool but that is his boyhood club and he is willing to die for the shirt and it is that passion that gets him through but take him out of a liverpool shirt and put him in an england shirt he doesnt have the same commitment or the skill required to cut it at international level.

the gospel according to ah reckon so

jamie carragher's no 1 fan :lol:

Guest Cornishdave1980

Some great points raised, I like Bentley a lot but McClaren is more likely to play Wright Philips or a fit Lennon which i feel is a waist of a quality young english winger!

The question about foreigners in our game, is it true that this has already been implemented and should come into affect 08/09 season, i remember reading about teams having to use 5 home grown players which would move up to 6, can anyone confirm if this is true?

The problem with having a certain number of English players in each team is money will dictate, i.e the teams in Champs League will pay over the odds for English talent just to ensure they have the quota which means you are more than likely going to have the full england squad mixed between 4-5 teams and then the rest of the teams would have to recruit from the lower leagues. This would IMO create an even more elete structure in our game where no team would break through into the Top 4, unless of course we have another Chelski!!!

Guest Cornishdave1980

Local Boy i wasn't refering to Wright Philips being old i was just saying i see Bentley as a far better player.

I think that ruling means you field 5 home growns, if that means you dive into the reserves so bit it! i am not 100% positive on this ruling but am pretty sure thats how they want to go with it

Cornishdave, I also heard the rumour about home grown talent being made compulsory within each team. That's why I'm loving the fact that Spurs may well be crap at the moment BUT we have a strict policy of signing the most promising ENGLISH talent in the country.Not that we'll ever be in the champions league.

As for the fact that the cost of these English players may go through the roof. Hasn't it already?. Everybody knows that teams mainly purchase so many foreigners because to get a player of the same standard from these shores would cost several million pound's more.

The main point of this topic is whether England will qualify for the euro's next year. The answer is probably yes, by the skin of their teeth and them McClaren will take us to yet more disappointment and then the whole circus of employing yet another manager will begin again.

cornishdave is also right (in my opinion) about Bentley being a quality player. Wright-Phillips is a quality player also and Lennon is one of those that is a superb weapon to come off the bench and scare the crap out of defenders with 30ish minutes left while we chase the game.Unless he finds an end product to all his running and dribbling, he should then be first name on the team sheet.

crosser mate, would you REALLY have Lampard over Gerrard?. If so, WHY??????.

Gerrard can tackle,pass,shoot,score,dictate a game and make a team tick. Fat Frank can only receive the ball and fire hopeful shots vaguely in the direction of the goal and every now and again 1 goes in.If Gerrard took the shots that Lampard does, he would get a hat-trick every match.

That's just my opinion though and many people will think differently, I just feel that Gerrard is a far more complete and influential player that Lampard is. Lampard does OK for Chelsea because he has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of worldclass talent around him to make him look better than he is. It's Makelele or Essien that make it possible for fat Frank to look half decent. Gerrard is also surrounded by a vast array of talent BUT unlike Lampard, he's still able to stand out as the best player on the pitch and be the player that actually creates the heartbeat within the team.

Guest Cornishdave1980

I have to agree with Coopsie, Gerrard is the complete player, dont get me wrong Fat Frank is great but he doesnt have that acute touch like Gerrard i.e. free kick against Villa(Fat Frank would have drilled it into the wall). Gerrard also has the engine which offers so much.

Gong back to original question i feel if England were to get to the final they would have to drop Lamps and allow Gerrard free reign with Hargreaves covering him(2 of the fittest midfielders in the game). My Team to win it would be(fitness aside):

Robinson

Richards

Terry

Ferdinand

Bridge

Bentley

Hargreaves

Gerrard

Cole

Rooney

Johnston

B. Foster

M. Richards

L. King

J. Terry

W. Bridge

D. Bentley

S. GERRARD

O. Hargreaves

J. Cole

W. Rooney

P. Crouch

Subs/Squad:

P. Robinson

G. Neville

A. Cole

S. Taylor

M. Dawson

R. Ferdinand

N. Shorey

D. Beckham

A. Lennon

G. Barry

T. Huddlestone

F. Lampard

M. Carrick

D. Ashton

M. Owen

J. Defoe

D. Bent

wat u lot on about personally a summer tournament without england in it would be ducking wank , no nail biteing evenings in the pub with everyone supporting the same team and even sexy women in footy tops rather than fat lezzers , it would be hell

Guest crosser

crosser mate, would you REALLY have Lampard over Gerrard?. If so, WHY??????.

Gerrard can tackle,pass,shoot,score,dictate a game and make a team tick. Fat Frank can only receive the ball and fire hopeful shots vaguely in the direction of the goal and every now and again 1 goes in.If Gerrard took the shots that Lampard does, he would get a hat-trick every match.

That's just my opinion though and many people will think differently, I just feel that Gerrard is a far more complete and influential player that Lampard is. Lampard does OK for Chelsea because he has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of worldclass talent around him to make him look better than he is. It's Makelele or Essien that make it possible for fat Frank to look half decent. Gerrard is also surrounded by a vast array of talent BUT unlike Lampard, he's still able to stand out as the best player on the pitch and be the player that actually creates the heartbeat within the team.

don't get me wrong gerrard is a great player and deserves to be in the england side but in my eyes and others on here its quite blatantly obvious that the pair of them can't operate at their highest level when they are in the same side. I don't think opta stats are going anymore, but when you could actually view the stats of players fat frank was far superior in all aspect's compared with gerrard, and I will agree lampard has a lots of shots but nobody else seems to want to score for england :blink:

Oh and don't forget fat frank came second in the world player of the year award back in 05 where was gerrard???

Guest Cornishdave1980

I think JOJO might have slightly missed the point here, i like everyone else wants England to win and yes i do enjoy the pub games and the atmosphere. But its not a matter of wanting them to win its more are they capable of winning it and looking on present form that is a big fat NO.

Can't believe someone is using Opta stats to say that Lumpard is better than Gerrard!! He's great for Chelsea because he's playing in a totally different role than what he would do for England.

Macca, Carragher is a great defender, nothing else, I bet he couldn't keep the ball off the ground for more than 100 times, but he's a defender and doesn't ponce about like Rio does. He's not a world class player by any means, but he's certainly a world class defender, he'd do a job for you.

He stopped playing for England cos he was being over looked, Wes Brown, I mean for god sake!! he was injured for ages, playing as a sub for Utd and still getting picked over him, I'm glad he's given it up anyway,

How many times have we said that we need to get rid of the England manager, Sven Ericson, & now McClaren, just to name two,

We all seem to have an answer to Englands team problems, it's a bit like Anita says about Refs & Ref's Assistants, we have a go at them just for the hell of it, But could we solve a problem like England, let alone Maria,

Could we do better, I am no fan of McClaren, So Who do the Forum think could solve Englands problem, let us have some genuine names.

Hammers :blink:;):c: :c:

Guest Cornishdave1980

Personally my choice was always Allaydice, he is methodical in his preperation but also has passion and character. Unlike our current manager and his predessosser he would make big changes to get the result.

Unfortunately there isn't a great crop of english managers out there at the mo but im not one of those who wants to import a foreign manager on the bases he won something abroad.

English manager - English Team - English Passion

Guus Hiddink. No other manager in the world can get a mediocre team to perform in a way that he can. South Korea to the semi final of the world cup, Russia are going to win our euro qualifying group and who's their manager??. Oh yes, Guus Hiddink.

Allardyce is nobody's "yes man" and therefore just wouldn't be considered by the FA.

Guest Cornishdave1980

Great shout Coopsie, wasn't he considered at one point when Scolari was approached?

Im still all for English but cant deny the man has qualities, however heres one for a stab in the dark, Mourinho wont win anything this year and next year Mr Ruski will appoint Hiddink new Chelsea manager(he had a major part in getting Hiddink in the Russia job)

PS nice new pic!

Guest crosser

Can't believe someone is using Opta stats to say that Lumpard is better than Gerrard!! He's great for Chelsea because he's playing in a totally different role than what he would do for England.

Macca, Carragher is a great defender, nothing else, I bet he couldn't keep the ball off the ground for more than 100 times, but he's a defender and doesn't ponce about like Rio does. He's not a world class player by any means, but he's certainly a world class defender, he'd do a job for you.

He stopped playing for England cos he was being over looked, Wes Brown, I mean for god sake!! he was injured for ages, playing as a sub for Utd and still getting picked over him, I'm glad he's given it up anyway,

I was'nt using opta stats to say lampard is better then gerrard, I was using it in point of reference to the fact that somebody was saying frank lampard can't pass tackle etc when the stats say he was one of the best what else are stats for. You could also say that gerrard is great for liverpool with regards to all the poor players he plays with, gerrard is the media darling so he will always get more hype unfortunately he has never done it for england, but he will now have his chance without lampard as it looks like frank is out for the next 6 weeks due to torn thigh muscle

as far as carragher unfortunately there are two better players in his position, and he did't want to sit on the bench and the one thing that england have always been lacking is a defender that's comfortable on the ball I will have rio over carragher any day of the week.

Great shout Coopsie, wasn't he considered at one point when Scolari was approached?

Im still all for English but cant deny the man has qualities, however heres one for a stab in the dark, Mourinho wont win anything this year and next year Mr Ruski will appoint Hiddink new Chelsea manager(he had a major part in getting Hiddink in the Russia job)

PS nice new pic!

You're absolutely spot on cornishdave, Hiddink was (I believe) interviewed for the job BUT the usual dawdling by the FA meant that he couldn't be bothered to wait around and as you correctly said, his good friend Mr Abramovich threw some money in the direction of the Russian FA so that they could afford his services and the rest is history. Now we have a guy that has never even finished in the top 8 of the premiership as a manager in full control of our national team :wacko: ... However, he (hiddink) is only in charge until after the euro's I believe?. So perhaps there's hope yet?.

It's funny you should mention "The Special 1" because I've seen reports in the past that he will be instantly approached IF he loses his job at Chelski. He has also openly stated that he'd be honoured to take control of England one day BUT would ultimately want/prefer the Portugal position. However, perhaps he'd consider using our desperately underachieving nation as a springboard to his ultimate target of controlling his nations team because I'm sure he said that his ultimate aim is to "take charge of portugal as a last job before retiring"..

It seems that one thing is for sure, there are many differing opinions about fat Frank and Stevie Gerrard, what team or formation should be played, should Becks just be kicked into touch etc etc BUT the 1 opinion that most seem to share is that McClaren should have never got the job in the first place and it would be best for all concerned if he was "got rid of" sooner rather than later.

cornishdave, I know what you mean when you say "English manager = English passion" BUT we can't win with passion alone.What we need is a manager that's willing to drop players that just don't perform (No matter who the player is), a manager that has the tactical awareness to counteract any substitutions or formation changes that the opposition chucks at us, a manager that will ONLY choose players based on form rather than reputation. What we need is a manager that has BALLS.

Big Sam Allardyce was/is my first choice if the manager has to be English but lets see what he can do now that he has gone to a so called "big club" with so called "big players". If he guides them to european football and McClaren still has his job next season, lets see how big Sam does in europe and IF he does well against the best managers in the world, there is surely NO EXCUSE for the FA to ignore him?. Apart from the fact that when the FA ask him to jump, unlike McClaren, he wont say "how high". He'll say "F#*k Off, I'm doing it my way or you can get some other mug to try and do better".

crosser mate, i see exactly where you're coming from in the Rio V Carragher argument and I have to say that to a certain extent I agree. I do think that Carragher is more dependable than Ferdinand and can mantain concentration for 90 minutes, which is something that Rio has never been able to do.

However, I would personally take King, Dawson or young Taylor from Newcastle over either of Carragher or Ferdinand. Someone said previously that we don't have a centre back that can put his foot on the ball and play a pass,WRONG. King can and does it everytime he's played for club and country and that's why he's been considered for the holding midfield role in the past.

People talk of "English passion", look no further than Dawson because the lad is going to be a star. Young Matty Taylor from Newcastle could easily become as good as Terry and with the likes of Lescott and Richards performing week in week out at the level they do, I think our defensive future is awesome.

Guest Cornishdave1980

cOOPSIE OUR DEFENSIVE UNIT IS AWEASOME, RICHARDS OPENLY SAID HE WAMTS TO PLAY CENTRE BACK.

IT EAS GOOD TO SEE OWEN SCORE AND JOHNSON SET UP A GOAL THIS WEEKEND, HOPEFULLY WITH A BIT MRORE TRAINING THEIR FITESS WILL CATCH UP.

Guest holmans10

I DO HOPE ENGLAND QUALIFY AS OUR TOUR NEXT YEAR IS IN AUSTRIA FOR THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS WONT BE THE SAME WITHOUT THE THE ENGLISH YOBS AROUND US,

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:

cOOPSIE OUR DEFENSIVE UNIT IS AWEASOME, RICHARDS OPENLY SAID HE WAMTS TO PLAY CENTRE BACK.

IT EAS GOOD TO SEE OWEN SCORE AND JOHNSON SET UP A GOAL THIS WEEKEND, HOPEFULLY WITH A BIT MRORE TRAINING THEIR FITESS WILL CATCH UP.

A bit worse for wear whilst typing that one cornishdave? :drink: ;)