Cornwall Football Forum

What were the FA thinking?.

It's probably the Combo League not the FA that decide on the venue, and then that depends which clubs have offered to host it.

Correct, it is the combo gents who decide where, but they do not ask for clubs to put themselves forward to host it, it was done behind closed doors, which isnt the way, st day and ludgvan have hosted cup semi's and finals in recent years, combo semi the year before last if i'm correct with Helston v pendeen? if clubs have been accepted into the league, their facilities are obviously up to scratch, so why havent you seen any cup games at Holmans, perranwell, ST Ives, Pendeen, Troon, Fal Ath?? i know what obvious answer's i'll get back here, but if they are not up to scratch why get accepted into the league in the first place? or why not get given a date to get their facilities up to scratch or face a points reduction? it seems one rule for one and a different one for another comes into play here i'm afraid, if rumours are true and we may see threemilestone and redruth utd coming into the league, will they be added to the list of clubs who will not stand a chance of hosting one of these games as their facilities are no match for some in the league? goal posts are getting moved to suit certain clubs/people, this needs to be corrected.

Where's the final being played??

Let me put this one to rest.

Yes the league would have a committee meeting and once the draw for the semi-finals and final was made it would ask clubs who wanted to put their ground forward as a venue.

Over previous years it was amicably decided by a show of hands. Unfortunately in the recent couple of seasons the clubs couldn't choose the venues. Grounds would be put forward and some would agree some wouldn't. They wouldn't make up their minds and the meetings just dragged on and on. They would not make up their minds on the venues.

To avoid the same this season, once the draw was made the top table said they would choose the venues. Firstly St Day was chosen as the were supposed to hold a semi last year but if you rack your brains it was called off due to the weather, so the league "owed them one".

Ludgvan was chosen as they have decent parking, it is in the Western area of the competition. They may not have been the first choice for some but remember they held a semi-final recently and did a good job.

Now for the venue for the final.

There had beren whisperings that the clubs who reached the final where moaning about the size of their prize winning cheques so the league looked at the gate takings and crowd sizes for the last few grounds visited and made a commercial choice. I REPEAT-A COMMERCIAL CHOICE which will give the two finalists a decent sized cheque at the end.

No other reason. Nothing underhand, no back scratching, no funny handshakes, no nod and a wink, etc.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uni, instead of spouting off on here please try refereeing first, you cannot have consistency we are human and homo sapiens are renowned for being inconsistent the one thing you can say is that we are consistently inconsistent..

i appreciate that is a tough job and wouldnt want to do it mysel but you do get paid for it at the end of the day! can't have consistency? So If one week a ref gave a penalty for a push and the next week another ref gave nothing surely that's not right! I think all the refs in the league need to get together and discus their views on where and when to give things! Wouldn't hurt to know what your peers think to achieve a bit more consistency!

No matter how many mistakes the referee may have made or may not have made, I can guarantee that the managers and players made more! It's time for managers and players to man up and stopped moaning!

a good point goldeneye but a managers or players mistakes don't affect what the referee is doing whereas he ref can affect the way the game goes and the score

Uni, the biggest influence on any game is the players and the manager's tactics - end of!

I think thats a little naive, don't you? To say that games can not be majorly influenced by officials is quite frankly ridiculous. Either that in a positive or negative way.

Ref bashing again - and your all bloody perfect. Sounding more like Ferguson everyday.

All hang up your boots and have a go, I'm surprised there are any refs left, they must get fed upto the bloody teeth with all this whingeing.

This is shite level football, get over it and give the geezers a break.

Did you watch the game yesterday toigtbiw ?

The final is at Porthleven

i didnt realise they even had a fully licenced bar now do they?

Is that part of the criteria to hold a cup final ???????

However, yes they do !!!

yes it should be, having a nice cold pint is part of it in my eyes! is it that little room between the changing rooms they use now???

Uni, please read my post, " the human being is NOT consistant " we all act differently to situations, so no two people act the same, I am sorry but it`s fact of life. To your comment about the penalty one week a referee may think it`s a penalty another week another official may not, but remember if the referee makes the decision honestly then that is the correct decision. But I doubt if you will understand that comment.

pointers who ever you are dont you wonder why so many refs pack up when we read comments like youve posted dont forget without refs good or poor we dont have a game if i ever turn up to ref your teams game who ever that may be make yourself known to me in the club house after the game you can tell me the laws of the game over a pint and i can tell when the next referees course is so then you can show us poor refs how it should be done after all its so eeasy to do.

When Stuart atwell gave that ghost goal in the watford v reading match (think it was), did he give the correct decision?

I understand with interpretation and all that cos some refs think some instances are fouls and some don't, that's why i hate it being compared to rugby because things are more clear cut in rugby therefore players get told.

But please don't forever come on here and defend referees all the time, yes they have a tough job, but they get paid for it. They should at least be competent at it. If there were more refs available then there would be a fair few that wouldnt get games because theyre that bad.

St Darren, it may suprise you to know that if he made an honest decision, then it was the correct one, just look at the scoreline. also why should I not come on here and defend referee`s I am well out numbered by people who come on here to slag referee`s off, all I will ever state is the truth if people do not want to here that there is nothing I can do. as to Andy`s post how right he is, the pool of referee`s is getting smaller and will only get worse, people are quick to come on here and slag off officials but hell do they squeal when they do not get one.

Uni, instead of spouting off on here please try refereeing first, you cannot have consistency we are human and homo sapiens are renowned for being inconsistent the one thing you can say is that we are consistently inconsistent..

i appreciate that is a tough job and wouldnt want to do it mysel but you do get paid for it at the end of the day! can't have consistency? So If one week a ref gave a penalty for a push and the next week another ref gave nothing surely that's not right! I think all the refs in the league need to get together and discus their views on where and when to give things! Wouldn't hurt to know what your peers think to achieve a bit more consistency!Your not very old are you uni ???? Football is all about opinions, the players, the spectators, and - yes - the referee as well. If you want consistancy then lets ask all referee's to apply the letter of the law and take away his opinion. Chaos would reign, every game would be abandoned through lack of players by the second half. Their opinion is everything on the field,and yes, they make mistakes - in our opinion only.

That scenario will happen to you all your life - get used to it.

If I feel the referee has got something wrong - in my opinion, I will ask him/her afterwards in the bar what their take is on what I saw, they explain their reasoning and I accept it - because thats the way it has to be.

Ref bashing again - and your all bloody perfect. Sounding more like Ferguson everyday.

All hang up your boots and have a go, I'm surprised there are any refs left, they must get fed upto the bloody teeth with all this whingeing.

This is shite level football, get over it and give the geezers a break.

Did you watch the game yesterday toigtbiw ?Nope, and don't have too - to see referee slating yet again.

To be fair to ppl defending refs I agree that they are individuals but it would be helpful if they all sang from the same hymn sheet! Some apply the laws of the game well, some too lenient and a few far ott which makes for a frustrating stop start game! Instead of the full on defensive attitude from the refs on here, why not read posts carefully and realise there are common complaints and some good ideas :)

He didn't make the correct decision though did he. Same as the linesman in the Swansea game at hhe weekend, he I only assume thought the ball came off the wba playerwhen it clearly didn't.

Refs would get more support if they actually admitted they were wrong at times.

There was one ref who I never got on with, he didn't like me and I didn't like him, until we played one game a few years ago and he had a shocker. We had a chat after the game and he admitted it. Now he immediately went up in my estimations from that.

To be fair to ppl defending refs I agree that they are individuals but it would be helpful if they all sang from the same hymn sheet! Some apply the laws of the game well, some too lenient and a few far ott which makes for a frustrating stop start game! Instead of the full on defensive attitude from the refs on here, why not read posts carefully and realise there are common complaints and some good ideas :)

The laws of the game are interpretable though.

Mr Manning, hypothetically speaking.. If I go through someone five minutes late on Saturday, but the referee felt I touched the ball even though I was absolutely no where near it and decided to wave play on, just because thats his honest decision you are telling me that this is now a correct decision?

Yes,(but your incident rather extreme and not likely to happen) last saturday I had a forward and a defender going for the ball defender puts in a challenge forward goes over and screams for a free kick, now in my opinion and from my position I thought the defender got a touch on the ball, so no free kick, attackers go ape, a quick replay in my mind and still think the defender got a touch on the ball,. After the game some players were still asking how on earth I missed that, but that was my honest opinion, so now tell me who was right.

At the end of the day, you're there to make the correct decision. Noone expects anyone to get every decision right, but its the key ones that need to be correct. The whistle and the cards aren't there to protect your own ego or feelings, but the players safety and ensure that the game can be played in the correct way. Hey ho, agree to disagree and all that.

Interesting point that the whistle and cards are for the safety of the players. On one hand you say that we cannot be expected to get every decision right and I agree with that, but then you say that all key decisions need to be correct, utopia is a lovely place.. Also thats why we are appointed by the FA to ensure the game is played in accordance with LOAF and it`s our interpretation of those Laws during the game which call on us to make decisions.

Lets be honest, we are playing at a poor level, we are poor players, we can't expect first class refs. We have to make do with what we have. You see refs at the top of the game making mistakes and being inconstant; so how an earth can we expect Combo refs to get each decision right and be consistent?

I would love to see refs go up to players each time they misplace a pass, miss a shot or miscontrol and then tell them how useless they are!

Yes, it is natural to be frustrated and easy to have a go at someone else. But I guarentee every player walks off the field after a game and thinks "What if I passed to him, what if I controlled that ball, what if I went for precision instead of power?" The ref is an easy victim, but maybe look at how you could impact and effect the game instead of the ref. Not speaking for the St Day v Mullion game as I wasn't there, just speaking in general.

I'd love to see refs coming on here saying how rubbish that number 10 was in the last match the reffed, or how the number 5 shouldn't play the game.

We complain about refs because they are being paid for their time. Its not all refs that are bad, but when you do get some of them that say that their peers are poor then you do wonder!! The best ones are the ones who aren't full of their own self importance!

Still can't beleive what you say about Attwell Manning. The ref is shocking, he's made many high profile errors, but that ghost goal was the funniest thing ever, how you can say he made the correct decision there when he felt it was the right decision is laughable.

Lets be honest, we are playing at a poor level, we are poor players, we can't expect first class refs. We have to make do with what we have. You see refs at the top of the game making mistakes and being inconstant; so how an earth can we expect Combo refs to get each decision right and be consistent?

I would love to see refs go up to players each time they misplace a pass, miss a shot or miscontrol and then tell them how useless they are!

Yes, it is natural to be frustrated and easy to have a go at someone else. But I guarentee every player walks off the field after a game and thinks "What if I passed to him, what if I controlled that ball, what if I went for precision instead of power?" The ref is an easy victim, but maybe look at how you could impact and effect the game instead of the ref. Not speaking for the St Day v Mullion game as I wasn't there, just speaking in general.

I'd love to see refs coming on here saying how rubbish that number 10 was in the last match the reffed, or how the number 5 shouldn't play the game.

In the early 90s I was playing at Mousehole with Geoff Preece as the referee.

A decision went against Port, and whilst running past him to get into position, I suggested to him that he should get a new pair of glasses.

Quick as a flash, without any hesitation he replied that they way I was passing the ball around I was the one that could do with the glasses!

I couldn't run for laughing!

i appreciate that is a tough job and wouldnt want to do it mysel but you do get paid for it at the end of the day! can't have consistency? So If one week a ref gave a penalty for a push and the next week another ref gave nothing surely that's not right! I think all the refs in the league need to get together and discus their views on where and when to give things! Wouldn't hurt to know what your peers think to achieve a bit more consistency! Your not very old are you uni ???? Football is all about opinions, the players, the spectators, and - yes - the referee as well. If you want consistancy then lets ask all referee's to apply the letter of the law and take away his opinion. Chaos would reign, every game would be abandoned through lack of players by the second half. Their opinion is everything on the field,and yes, they make mistakes - in our opinion only.

That scenario will happen to you all your life - get used to it.

If I feel the referee has got something wrong - in my opinion, I will ask him/her afterwards in the bar what their take is on what I saw, they explain their reasoning and I accept it - because thats the way it has to be.

no im not very old and obviously still have a lot to learn and get used to! you talk a lot of sense and i appreciate your comment. i just get frustrated when one week you are allowed to get away with something and the next you are not. as mr manning and yourself have touched upon that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you win some you loose some as they say. we have to live with that.

Kempy, as you know me you will have to take it as gospel but in all my years as a referee i can honestly ( that word again) say I have never met a dishonest referee ( in regard to football that is ) I have met good referee`s and not so good referee`s but never one who deliberately misused the LOAF.. As I have said in previous posts also I have ever only met one cheating club assistant, some good some not so good but only ever caught out one cheating to gain his side an advantage, yet on this forum many are called dishonest which in my experience is not the case. We could keep this post going for another couple of months.

Darren, you seem to want refs to admit they got certain decisions wrong. In other words you want honesty. Is your campaign for honesty going to apply to players? When a player slips in the box and the ref gives a penalty, is the player who slipped going to ask the ref to change his decision? Are players going to stop appealing for corners and throw ins when they know they had the last touch? No doubt over the years you have accepted such wrong decisions from referees that have favoured your team. You have probably done so on the basis that these decisions even themselves out over a season. Most people, including me, take that view - so I can't really understand your hissy fit! :)

Kempy, well aware of who you are and how respected you are. Just thought it could be dangerous territory

The problem is in football we only see one sides view most of the time , i for one think we have some very good refs as its not an easy job because you are

not going to please everyone !!! I take your point ....

Kempy, as you know me you will have to take it as gospel but in all my years as a referee i can honestly ( that word again) say I have never met a dishonest referee ( in regard to football that is ) I have met good referee`s and not so good referee`s but never one who deliberately misused the LOAF.. As I have said in previous posts also I have ever only met one cheating club assistant, some good some not so good but only ever caught out one cheating to gain his side an advantage, yet on this forum many are called dishonest which in my experience is not the case. We could keep this post going for another couple of months.

bloody hell sir,you have only met one club linesman that cheated,you sir most certainly need glasses,when I was playing we all knew the ones that CHEAT every game,funny one of them comes on here from down west.

We will have to agree to disagree ,yes some totally useless ,but some down right cheats,even stood behind them didn't make a blind bit of difference ,just carried on CHEATING

Agree, quite a few cheat bigtime, they definately dont give honest decsions! Alot of players know before they kickoff that certain linesman are a disgrace to football and should be removed from the line!

The bottom line is, the game was decided by the penalty, which was a poor decision!

Love it or hate it!

Mullion will show their frustration at that as im sure every club would!

Everyone in the country slated the ref in the manu v madrid game!

Im not saying everything the ref did was wrong, he turned up didnt he?

Simply that he got it wrong for the penalty!

The bottom line is, the game was decided by the penalty, which was a poor decision!

Love it or hate it!

Mullion will show their frustration at that as im sure every club would!

Everyone in the country slated the ref in the manu v madrid game!

Im not saying everything the ref did was wrong, he turned up didnt he?

Simply that he got it wrong for the penalty!

So you say. The referee thinks he was right - end of.