Cornwall Football Forum

What are the predictions for the St Day v Mullion game? I'm going for a 4-1 St Day win, early to say but with recent results and previous score lines between the two it has to be in St Days favour. A big crown I'm hoping and a good game for Mothering Sunday will make the afternoon a good one. Good luck to both teams and all involved.

Joseph

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Monty

Why is that Monty?

just got alot of time for Kev and what he his trying to achieve at Mullion, wonderful club and it would be nice to see them in the final. Taking nothing away from Matt because i have alot of time for him aswell and what he his trying to achieve at St Day, but Mullion are underdogs and anything can happen in the cup, and no i wont be refereeing this match.

Monty.

St Day 2-1 Mullion

Att - 82

This game was spoilt by the cross pitch wind that blew all game. Very cold conditions meaning only the daft or the committed turned up..

Game kicks off with St Day playing down the pitch. Mostly (well all) St Day for the first 20 mins or so. Mullion playing a "When In Doubt, Kick It Out" game at the back trying to protect the substitute keeper, a young lad from Helston thirds.

Within minutes he is called into action as St Day break left, square for a shot that he parries with his foot away from the bottom of the near post. Again he is in action as a St Day corner sees him tip the ball onto the bar and away.

Against the run of play Mullion break through the middle, on 24 mins, with Rob Carey. He outruns his defender and sidesteps the advancing keeper to put the ball in low from 12 yds, 0-1.

The lead lasts 5 mins before a corner on the St Day left is knocked to the back stick for Mikey Davis who equalizes with a free header from 6yds.

H-T

My report for the second half is a bit stunted as I retreated to the tea hut and got stuck behind a pillar only seeing a limited view.

Mullion come at St Day a bit more this half but attacks in the box are infrequent.

St Day break down the middle, shoot but it goes past the left upright.

58mins and St Day are awarded a penalty for a push on the left-hand side of the box. Chris Tolley steps up, the keeper dives to his left, ball down the middle.

St Day win ball in middle of the Mullion half, shoot, the ball hits the right post, flies along the face of the goal and away.

Tom Hogarth of St Day sent off in 70th minute for 2 yellows followed 3 mins later by Mullion's Scott Jones for his double yellow.

Mullion push forward but instead of spreading the ball to take advantage of the two players missing keep coming down the middle which St Day found easy to cope with.

F-T

Match facts

Corners: St Day 7-5 Mullion

Fouls conceded: St Day 12-9 Mullion

Attendance - 82

Mullion also hit the post in the second half, and I think it's fair to say everyone in the ground thought that the 'penalty' never was. The whole squad was gutted in the changing room after, we all felt like we deserved to take it to extra time at least.

All in all though, a really good contest and I wish St Day all the best in the final and for their remaining league fixtures.

I should ignore most of Paul's match report Mark & wait until you speak to Matt !!!!!

St day were by far the better team today I'm afraid, mullion played well but lacked that little bit going forward when needed,I'm sure the manager would suggest there was only one team in it out of respect for you,but this is purely a gesture of good will,something I think you'll find doesn't come easy to that man from what I've seen! The referee wasn't great,but I can honestly say I haven't seen more than x2 good refs this season in the combo,the others have been poor,either not assertive enough,or just deluded in most cases!!!!! I'd like to see a fresh lot of referees in for next season if there's others out there with the potential to step up please do so,I fear that as it currently is the referees are taking the shine off of the beautiful game,the rules aren't that hard to remember gents,stick to them and keep up the fitness it isn't hard!!

I have always been a competitive player, but never dirty. I was told by the ref that Neil Harvey on the line flagged for a 2 footed challenge and that is why I was sent off. I spoke to Neil in the bar after and he told the ref no such thing, just that it was a foul. The ref sent off Tom Hogarth 5 mins before which was also a shocking decision and I think he was evening things up. When you have players from the opposing team telling you it was never a card offence says it all. Also found out original ref was not allowed in the middle as he did not pass the fitness requirements so could not officiate, but was still running the line WTF!

Pitch was in good nick at Ludgvan, and no disrespect to the club, but honestly, a cup semi on Mother's Day at a pitch with no stand! What were the FA thinking? How many were they expecting to get there? Would have been interesting if there were more prestigious teams involved, prob better venue as combo flagship teams involved!

Wish St day all the best for the final, nice bunch of honest lads today, shame game was spoilt by the bloke in the middle.

CTB - why did you delete my post?

All I said was your report was good and that I appreciate the stats, I wasn't being sarcastic I actually enjoy trivial local football stats that is how sad I am.

I agree - stats tell the story of the game better than all the airy fairy writings about some game twenty miles from anywhere with one man and his dog watching.

Gutted for the Mullion boys, always was going to be a tough contest against St Day. What a shame it 'appears' the talking point is about the man in the middle. Just like (Utd v Real!)... Jonah will say it as it is and Neil Harvey is an honest bloke so doesn't sound like the ref has covered himself in glory - whoever he was. Shame about the conditions by the sounds of it didn't help quality.

But still, Mullion can take a lot from this, almost relegated last season, looking like at least a top 10 finish and semi final of cup, thats progress, and of course with no budget and almost every player local Mullion lads, barring a couple (hey Jonah...)

Anyway - what you playing for old man?

Ref bashing again - and your all bloody perfect. Sounding more like Ferguson everyday.

All hang up your boots and have a go, I'm surprised there are any refs left, they must get fed upto the bloody teeth with all this whingeing.

This is shite level football, get over it and give the geezers a break.

. You must see people's frustration if a poor decision by the ref has lost them the game which they felt they should of got something from! Refereeing is a tough job bit there seems to be a lack of consistency and common sense this season!

What were the FA thinking?.

It's probably the Combo League not the FA that decide on the venue, and then that depends which clubs have offered to host it.

Correct, it is the combo gents who decide where, but they do not ask for clubs to put themselves forward to host it, it was done behind closed doors, which isnt the way, st day and ludgvan have hosted cup semi's and finals in recent years, combo semi the year before last if i'm correct with Helston v pendeen? if clubs have been accepted into the league, their facilities are obviously up to scratch, so why havent you seen any cup games at Holmans, perranwell, ST Ives, Pendeen, Troon, Fal Ath?? i know what obvious answer's i'll get back here, but if they are not up to scratch why get accepted into the league in the first place? or why not get given a date to get their facilities up to scratch or face a points reduction? it seems one rule for one and a different one for another comes into play here i'm afraid, if rumours are true and we may see threemilestone and redruth utd coming into the league, will they be added to the list of clubs who will not stand a chance of hosting one of these games as their facilities are no match for some in the league? goal posts are getting moved to suit certain clubs/people, this needs to be corrected.

Where's the final being played??