Cornwall Football Forum

Rolling Substitutions

Hey Deano - I take it that those idiots are the management committee, but I would remind you that the committee merely offeredv the clubs the opportunity to implement the scheme at the E G M and the majority of clubs were in favour. If you do not like it ask your secretary which way he voted as you may be calling him or her an idiot.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foot Loose1 I read it as by idiots Deano11 meant the top bods at FIFA who decided it should be trialed and as for greater participation when I suggested we have more officials on each game that it would create greater participation by officials the advocates for rolling subs dismissed the idea..

Keith B I can see were you're coming from. :)

I've been following this topic and to be honest never been a great fan of the idea personally, for no other reason than ' I'm old fashioned'!! Must be my age!

BUT following our game at the weekend I can see the advantages at first hand and I am certainly warming to the idea.

Our game went into extra time and I had already used 2 of the 3 subs allowed both due to injury.

I had to take a third player off before the start of ET so used my final sub.

Within minutes of the start of ET another one of my players went down after a heavy challenge and was obviously struggling but it was either play 25 minutes with 10 men or have the player stay on.

He chose to stay on even though it was obvious he was struggling. He is very doubtful for the weekend.

Not saying that he would have been fit for this weekend if he had chosen to come off but its not helped !

Then a second player pulled up with serious cramp! I ended up trying to 'hide' him.

We battled on with effectively 9 fit players on the pitch.

With rolling subs I would have had no problem.

As it was we ended up winning on Pens.

This is a topic which seems to have divided opinions in the football community.

That is the great thing about our game, its about opinions.

I for one would be in favour of this new idea coming into the game.

Cheers

Wayne

Padstow Utd

Manager

i have to be honest on this, i hate the idea, i was against it at the start of the season and am dead against it, so much so it is one of the reasons next season i will not be playing football

before i start to get labelled as a namby pamby player who rolls around feigning injury i think all those that have payed against me and with me for carharrack and robartes will tell you that is not the case.

i have heard the argument that it allows more players and perennial subs game time, in my opinion if there is a player who is always a sub n they need game time that is why you have a reserve team (if you don't have 1 the player needs to decide to stay and go)

for me a large part of football is making tactical changes to win or change games, this skills gets taken away if you are able to undo a wrong tactial decision by merely changing it back!!!

i fully understand the argument regarding the injuries, but isnt that what makes this game great, that 10 men can dig in in adversity and come away with a win! or that something unforeseen can turn a game on its head?

Mangle and Darren here you go I have now taken time out of my day to show you some of my points, lets see your petty suggestions back then shall we ? Or will you go quiet
1. Team sheets required under Law 3 of Laws of the
Game – will require extra administration.
2. Team squads may grow larger - reducing the
number of teams and games. However, clubs
might play smaller squads if they can rotate
leading to more teams.
3. Club income will fall if fewer teams play. Query
whether clubs may set match fees for players
depending on the time they play?
4. Mischievous Clubs could exploit rolling subs in
the latter stages of matches to break up/delay
play.
5. Devalues the game by focussing on the number of
substitutions rather than the quality of the 11
players on the pitch.
6. Captains have to manage rolling subs, which may
mean something extra to think about (or may
mean more flexibility, and fewer headaches).
7. Captains/managers/teams have extra work before games
8. Could delay kick off times if Captains/managers etc do not
prepare team sheets before kick-off.
9. Difficulties managing substitutions at lower team
games where no league referee is appointed.
10. Team sheets held by referees might deteriorate if
there is rain.
11. If no team-sheet is provided, substituted players
can’t return after being substituted.

Apologies, Deano, didn't realise you required a response

The points you make about subsitutes, are the same as what they are now. As Manning said, some refs if you don't give the subs names before the game, you aren't allowed to make any.

Why would referee's need to get team sheets out? doesn't make a difference if a side has one sub or five subs, they can make as many changes as they like. Its going to speed things up cos the referee isn't going to need to check names, they'll just need to know how many subs there are. Its going to be less work for the ref during the game because they're not going to need to take the names of the subs as they come on. ( I presume that to be the case anyway )

Points 6, 7 and 8, I don't understand, rolling subs will make no difference to that whatsover, points 1 and 7, extra administration??? where's the extra admin? if you things aren't changing, numbers aren't getting bigger, you're just allowed to have a sub, let him come on and then the player who's come off, can go back on again, its pretty simple really, there's no extra admin involved.

Point 9? where no referee is appointed? what difference does it make? it doesn't beoome a different game.

Surely if you get their names before kick offthen you won't need to do that. Do they think that there is going to be a load of pretenders waiting to jump out and sit on the bench when needed? Seems crazy that. You can name up to 5 now and they dont all have to be there at kick off!

In theory I think rolling subs are great at this level, but.....

I was involved in a youth game years ago where the opposition went a goal up and then proceeded to make umpteen subs throughout the rest of the game, virtually every time the ball went out of play subbing players to disrupt play and waste time.

So jury out, great if used fairly... but....???

• 2 weeks later...