Cornwall Football Forum

Amalgamation with Youth teams

Our club is currently considering the merits, or otherwise, of amalgamating with the Youth Football Club in the village.Both clubs are currently run independently of each other, but we consider that an amalgamation is necessary to ensure that we have a better chance of retaining local lads in order to continually develop the mens teams.

The Youth FC are also keen to discuss this with us, but I was just interested to see if any other clubs do operate close links with their Youth teams, or if anybody has experienced any negative issues in doing so.

Peter Hockin

Secretary, St Cleer FC

The amalgamation some years ago of Atlantic Porth & Newquay Youth Centre into Newquay AFC Youth, has been a huge success. The players are guided through the years by the same manager right upto U16's when they are encouraged to join the parent clubs Trelawny League sides with the chance of progress into Combination & SWPL football.

You will know Jim Hilton, contact him for more info or PM me for his mobile number.

Hi Peter,

This is a very new topic for me to comment on however in august 2011; St Day AFC decided that in order to achieve stability and long term success we need to commence some sort of youth section. The main points at the start that I learnt for other clubs is that if it is to be successful then the main club needs to back the youth and be interested in their youth teams.

Many clubs don’t but I feel the more successful clubs do. It is very simple to achieve some of the things we have done are, make sure that you have representatives from each committee on the other committee. Involve the kids in adult match days, involve the adults with kids in the youth section teams and every year at the youth section Christmas party, Get the players to become coaches so the kids know who the are, create one website for the whole club. Finally and the most important which nemesis as already touched upon is to encourage the kids and make them aware that their final destination is the 1st team of your club, in 10, 15 years time however long it takes.

Not sure if that helps any other questions feel free to ring me 07875596798 however I am a novice.

Regards

Mark

Having been involved with youth football for the last 9 years I can definitely agree with all of the above but can't stress enough how much of a 2-way street it is. Having youth teams within your club can certainly help with regards to accessibility to funding and by providing a supply of future players right to your doorstep, but you are also taking on a long-term commitment to develop these young players. Your youth teams are going to need qualified coaches, helpers, kits, equipment, goals and most importantly a regular pitch. What may begin as one 7-a-side team will soon grow into a team that needs a larger 9-a-side pitch and eventually access to your full-sized pitch. All too often youth teams play "second fiddle" to adult teams and have their Sunday matches called off at the last minute because the shared pitch has taken a beating during the Saturday men's game.

I totally agree with what Mark is saying above about having a youth rep on your club committee and you will also need a Welfare Officer who has attended the relevant CCFA training.

At the end of the day if it is done for the right reasons and with good communication between all involved it can be a profitable arrangement for your club that will offer the youth players some security and a feeling of "belonging". Good luck with whatever you decide to do and if I can help with any queries please feel free to PM me.

Many thanks for all of the above comments. We are already part way there with the fact that I also manage the under 14s, and one of our reserve team players also manages the under 13s, so we already have two of us that sit on both committees.

I agree totally that we need to ensure it is a two way approach and that communication needs to be constant.

The Chairman and Secretary of the Youth FC are attending the senior committee meeting tomorrow, so hopefully that will be the start of things to come. I'll certainly be glad to provide them with some guidance based upon the comments received above.

Cheers, Peter