Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay sign two former Falmouth players

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true Dave The Rave, as have Sam Trudgian, Jack Bray-Evans, Cameron Bidgood, Elliot Simcox and Sam Hill who have all featured for Newquay this season in the Premier league. All 18 and younger and have gained Good experience and not looked out of place having jumped from Combo football to SWPL Premier level.

Testimony to the hard work and guidance of all those involved in the Newquay Youth set up over the last decade or so.

Very true Dave The Rave, as have Sam Trudgian, Jack Bray-Evans, Cameron Bidgood, Elliot Simcox and Sam Hill who have all featured for Newquay this season in the Premier league. All 18 and younger and have gained Good experience and not looked out of place having jumped from Combo football to SWPL Premier level.

Testimony to the hard work and guidance of all those involved in the Newquay Youth set up over the last decade or so.

Wonder how they will feel about Devine and Quinn coming in and taking their place?

If the money dries up at Newquay it won't just be the money grabbers who leave but the management as well,got the morals of a gutter snipe, look what happened at St Blazey, they very nearly went to the wall.

gutter snipe lol thats a new name 4 u lafs ha ha ha ha ha

Nemisis, I stated in an earlier thread that we had no desire to keep either of these players, one said to our director of football that he was retiring, the other said he wanted to leave. So whatever way anyone wants to dress it up, your club along with some others have acted in a manner to which disgusts me to a point where I ask myself, do I want to deal with people like this!? I would never knowingly allow anything like this to be done through our club while I'm anything to do with it. Like I said, we would've sorted it out, had we been asked, you know Uncle Les well enough, and I'm no different to him. If players want to leave, then so be it, but don't take the p out of Les or myself in doing so!!?

Not defending anyone here, but did Falmouth not question the two players when the original 7 days notices came in from 2 unlikely clubs ? Suzi obviously was aware of what was going on judging by her previous post. Did Falmouth try to convince the players to stay ?, there is no mention of that in any post on this thread.

What has whether Falmouth Town talked to the players involved got to do with the underhand behaviour of Newquay, St. Dennis and Exmouth?

Wouldn't do that Robbie, I was asking how much Falmouth wanted to keep the players, you have answered the question and I thank you for that. I am 'not in the loop' as much as I used to be for various reasons, one being health. I wish you and Uncle Les all the best in your managerial roles at Falmouth, you have a tough job on your hands and I understand your frustration at the way this matter has been handled. Uncle Les has always been admired by those who were around when he brought the kids in, perhaps things are not the same today.

All the best. M

Little fella, I'd be out of order in revealing actual figures, but I will tell you this. The budget we have would in no way stretch to cover all of the players in our squad upon our arrival. I'm no mathematician, but it didn't take a lot of working out. Mark Vercesi is paid a bit more at Newquay than he was with us. He came to us and said he wanted to go, and I have no problem with Mark, I've known him for a very long time. He along with both his brothers Richard & James played for me at Penzance, and I couldn't praise any of them enough. We are in a period of transition, and Mark said he wanted to be competing at the top of the league, so it was nothing to do with money on his part. I'm not saying any of them are leaving for money reasons, they obviously feel they need to be in with a shout of winning something. Fine, carry on. We have to rebuild from the ground upwards. Bit Les & myself are no strangers to this, as I've had to do it at Penzance, Les at Newquay & both of us at Truro. We do it because we enjoy turning things around. We don't do it for anything other than pleasure, there's no better feeling than beating teams that are at the top, with sides that we've honed & turned into competitive units. I spoke to Leigh Cooper the other day & he said he's loving his time at Launceston with no real budget, he sounded really enthused about what they've achieved. We know it's tough at first, and it won't happen overnight, but we will get it going again at Falmouth, and it will be within an affordable budget. It's called real managing my friend, anyone can do it with money, how many can without?

Mark, I'm in no way having a dig at you, I admire anyone who has a passion for their club like you do. I don't really care about the players involved, as they would have gone anyway, it's just the way that some people have openly been disrespectful, and trust me they will hear about it when we next come face to face! As you well know, neither of us are shy!?

We still have some excellent players at Falmouth, some of the youngsters will get better, as they're keen to progress. Don't forget we still have Drummo & Popey to come back in, they're as good as anyone in their respective positions, and the players around them will benefit too. Poor old Squiresy has had a tough time up top on his own, but put Drummo up there with him & I think you'll see a huge difference. Richard Kellow has signed & there are more to follow. We lack an edge at the moment & the players we're targeting have that. We went & watched a SWPL west game yesterday & really noticed the difference, certainly in the pace of the game, so it's difficult to see too many making the step up if it's like that across the board. I'm not saying that there won't be people capable, just not that many.

Cam Payne, with all due respect we weren't part of the previous Falmouth regime, and anyone that knows us will know that we are very much all for youngsters. There are a load of players at the bigger clubs in the SWPL who have started with myself & Les. Falmouth Town is now a very good place for young eager players, as they will be given the opportunity. Please don't judge us on previous Falmouth Town policy. Next seasons Combo side will be mainly youngsters, and if they cut it, they'll be encouraged to take the step up. Ask Richard, James & Mark Vercesi, Dave Burt, Danny Magee, Mikey Davis, James Bent, Steve Hawke, Dean Harris, Greg & Andy Butcher, to name but a few. All of these played their early SWL with Les or myself, and I could add a load more. We've never really gone after names, we had to make them. Of course they had the ability, we just got them to express it.

Cam Payne, with all due respect we weren't part of the previous Falmouth regime, and anyone that knows us will know that we are very much all for youngsters. There are a load of players at the bigger clubs in the SWPL who have started with myself & Les. Falmouth Town is now a very good place for young eager players, as they will be given the opportunity. Please don't judge us on previous Falmouth Town policy. Next seasons Combo side will be mainly youngsters, and if they cut it, they'll be encouraged to take the step up. Ask Richard, James & Mark Vercesi, Dave Burt, Danny Magee, Mikey Davis, James Bent, Steve Hawke, Dean Harris, Greg & Andy Butcher, to name but a few. All of these played their early SWL with Les or myself, and I could add a load more. We've never really gone after names, we had to make them. Of course they had the ability, we just got them to express it.

Robbie, I was in no way judging you. In fact I think your current model (smaller budget/local players) will be the way forward for many clubs as finances tighten. I was merely questioning Fal lady taking the moral high ground over something that Falmouth have been doing over "PREVIOUS" seasons.

Best Wishes

Cam

Have Falmouth reduced what they give to any players since the new regime have come in? I think not. So maybe money isn't the reason that you have lost so many players? Maybe ambition comes into it like somebody else has mentioned, but not every player with ambition can play for Bodmin!!!

Bodmin and ambition shouldn't be seen in the same sentence, they are in the same league as the other teams mentioned and not going anywhere soon. They are just better but probably the least ambitious team in Cornwall.

Have Falmouth reduced what they give to any players since the new regime have come in? I think not. So maybe money isn't the reason that you have lost so many players? Maybe ambition comes into it like somebody else has mentioned, but not every player with ambition can play for Bodmin!!!

Bodmin and ambition shouldn't be seen in the same sentence, they are in the same league as the other teams mentioned and not going anywhere soon. They are just better but probably the least ambitious team in Cornwall.

Fair point hoppit!! I merely meant ambition to win trophies. I agree with what you are saying though

Cam, Thankyou for your explanation, and I understand why people would say this. Paul Murray bit when I suggested that the first team bought in players, rather than promote Combo players. And yes a few were promoted, but only because they couldn't afford to get anymore names in. It is different now, as I said. It is a young mans game, and both Les and myself are massive fans of youngsters who are keen & eager to play at the highest level they possibly can, and either one of us would drive anybody to a bigger club than us if they were simply too good for this level. We would never stand in anyone's way of climbing the ladder.

Thankyou once again for your wishes & hope you have a great Christmas & New year.

Fair point hoppit!! I merely meant ambition to win trophies. I agree with what you are saying though

Sorry Little Fella i was looking at the bigger picture.

Robbie, I was in no way judging you. In fact I think your current model (smaller budget/local players) will be the way forward for many clubs as finances tighten. I was merely questioning Fal lady taking the moral high ground over something that Falmouth have been doing over "PREVIOUS" seasons.

Best Wishes

Cam

"taking the moral high ground"?

I was merely stating my personal opinion about young able players being dropped for players that are there for the cash and not the club. All clubs have done it/do it.

Doesn't make it right.

I for one am not the least bit suprised by these underhanded tactics used by Newquay in relation to the Falmouth players, because earlier in this season they already appeared to be a law unto themselves. We at Godolphin had to put up with persistant illegal approaches for many of our players over a period of 2 months earlier this season. So much so that we were having sweepstakes to see who Mr Lafferty would pester next and who could get the highest "expenses" offer, lots of healthy money on offer too. Unfortunately some people just dont seem to be able to get their heads around the "loyalty" factor, its not a concept they are familiar with.

I for one am not the least bit suprised by these underhanded tactics used by Newquay in relation to the Falmouth players, because earlier in this season they already appeared to be a law unto themselves. We at Godolphin had to put up with persistant illegal approaches for many of our players over a period of 2 months earlier this season. So much so that we were having sweepstakes to see who Mr Lafferty would pester next and who could get the highest "expenses" offer, lots of healthy money on offer too. Unfortunately some people just dont seem to be able to get their heads around the "loyalty" factor, its not a concept they are familiar with.

You are so right Derek up at Camelford we suffered from the same thing for the last couple of seasons, so called bigger clubs continually harassing players illegally, fortunately both Camelford and Godolphin are for the most part blessed with loyalty from their players a rare commodity these days.

Short memories seem to be the order of the day on this topic.

Newquay players approached illegally from Robbie and/or Les resisted the opportunity for "promised starting positions" at Falmouth to remain with Newquay. Which speaks volumes for the player/s who chose to stick it out and remain loyal. Did we hear any moans and groans on here from Newquay? No.

Robbie you are respected by us here at Newquay but you cant live by double standards!

Derek you and Godolphin have achieved miracles during your time at Godolphin but to consider your s..t doesn't stink, really does stink! You have been tapping up our players at Newquay since you took the hot seat at Godolphin and not once have you heard a grumble from the Newquay fraternity!

Wrong is wrong and right is right but you cant run with the fox and the hound.

The postings on this thread are the sort of thing you would hear in a primary school playground! No wonder Cornish football is a mess when everything revolves around the managers and players without a thought for the supporters or the image of the game! :SM_carton:

Time for managers and playerss to grow up - it's long overdue! :angry:

Well Pingu, I can assure you that I've not tapped up any player from Newquay! And I'm pretty certain Uncle Les hasn't either, nobody would be told they're guaranteed a starting place either, although at the minute my old Mum could probably start, oh and she happens to live in Newquay!!

Oh and while we're on the subject, this isn't about the so called tapping up, it's the fact you used third parties. I've already said I couldn't care less about those players going. I've said a phone call would have been enough to sort it all out. Nothing to do with dual standards. I also come on here & put my name to whatever I say, not hiding behind stupid false names!! Perhaps the forum should only be open to real people?

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure most clubs ring a player first to see if seven days are worthwhile...constituting an illegal approach. This initial conversation may well develop before timescales pass. Common sense would dictate this surely? If I'm wrong then I would be extremely shocked. Just look at the st Austell Danny carne thread! No action being taken it seems either!

Pingu,

I have been manager of Godolphin for 10 years, over half of which Newquay were playing at a higher level of football and were paying players money which we never had. Therefore it stands to reason that I would have very little to offer Newquay players to attract them so it would be pointless trying to if I had wanted to. But quite often during this time our players would attract the attention of Newquay . Our policy has always been to retain the players we have in pre season and to add 2 or 3 young local players during this period when possible. Once a season started we would work with the players we had with almost zero transfer activity. I had a great relationship with Jim Hilton in the years that he was manager because he was perhaps the only manager who didn't think we were here to be walked all over on this matter, and he respected both the rules and Godolphin Football Club. This season is virtually the first time we have looked to sign players mid term, and I will admit that I spoke to Newquay keeper Joe Crane at one point in retaliation to the constant badgering of our players from a certain Newquay coach. But for nine years we always ran with what we had at the start of the season unless a player came to us and asked to come to us which was extremely rare. I would suggest Pinghu that you get your facts straight before you make such sweeping statements which bare so little truth.

Another example of people commenting on Newquay and not knowing the facts . Of course it was expected that Derek Martin Would want to have his say on a thread that has no business of his of his club. Derek I challenge you to admit that you have never once approached a Newquay player without following the correct procedure. Trust me I know for a fact that you have on more than one occasion. As for loyalty of your players you really don't know them very well because half of them were contacting the Newquay management pre season to join Newquays only senior club . Credit to what you have built Derek but please don't get involved in senior football threads ..

Money man

Little fella, as I said you're spot on, the seven day thing is in my mind a waste of time, it just delays the transfer of a player & nothing else. I think the 28 day rule is ok & 2 players in 1 season from 1 club, and if a player moves to a third party, that shouldn't be allowed, as he should be counted at his original club. It would just stop these stupid scenarios from happening?

Just goes to show how low some people will go? I don't know anyone at St Dennis, so can't or won't say anything regarding them. However, what are Newquay upto? If Hoops wanted these guys, why not just ask, instead of doing things in a sneaky underhand way. I thought we are all football people & could talk?

Mousehole recently put seven days in for one of our Combo players, but we know it was really to move him to another club. Uncle Les & myself may look stupid, but thankfully we're not as stupid as we look!!

The CCFA need to look at a number of issues, none more so than instances like this.

I'm not saying players shouldn't be allowed to play for whoever they like, but most have been well looked after by the clubs that they turn their backs on, total lack of loyalty and respect for those clubs. Darren Gilbert summed it up a couple of weeks ago, when he said players lack loyalty these days. I think I'm seeing a culture change in youngsters these days, that I can only say disgusts me, and I'm talking outside of football as well here. Not all are in this category, I hasten to add, but unfortunately the numbers are growing!

All clubs have had their ups & downs, and this will probably always be the case, but hey guys, at least be honest with people who have done an awful lot for you. I don't like seeing any club struggle, and understand that within those clubs there are some hardworking decent people, who get taken for a ride by idiots who think they're something that they really are not!!!

A rather aloof statement Money Man. I suppose i'll just have to leave it at that then and thank my lucky stars that when half of our players contacted Newquay wanting to join the Club they were turned down ! Thanks also for enlightening me to the fact that we are not a Senior Club.

I'v said my piece on this subject and have nothing further to add. However, please rest assured Money Man that when I feel the need to contribute to this forum in future, I will do just that, and I most certainly won't be asking you for permission to do so.

RobbieS I agree with you there although I don't see why 2 players from the same club rule should be there?? Nonetheless whatever the rules and whether we agree with them what is the point in them if you can get around them? A lot of the rules need to be looked at including these ones here, and also the pathetic one that says you can't make your debut for a club in any round of the senior cup...Falmouth affected again!!!

Robbie I applaud your sincerity and you're integrity. But I cant help but feel your naivety is clouding your judgement on this thread.

Having had my ear to the ground amongst people in the know at Newquay, i can strongly confirm the powers to be at Newquay were informed by their counterparts from Falmouth that all players were permitted to leave Falmouth but NOT to Newquay.

This is why I think you are speaking on behalf of yourself and Les but NOT for the Club. Perhaps your right arm isn't connected to your left at Falmouth right now, which would be understandable during such crisis and transition at any club, but to direct accusations at others would be best administered by a body who's right and left arm are in harmony together.

Well, I don't know what has been said by secretary to secretary, but I do know that if Glynn had called Les or myself, these players would have been released, as I can assure you that both Les and myself have the final say on anything player wise. As I said before, I had no problem with Newquay, or anyother club for that matter. I'm certainly not naive, and have been in football a very long time, so am upto speed with all that goes on within it, whether I agree with it or not. Mark Vercesi was approached before the 7 days, as he admitted that to us, but that doesn't bother me, it's the thought that Glynn or even Robin couldn't pick up the phone, it's the personal thing, not the stupid rules that get to me here.

On the topic of the transfer of players we were told at the Combo Committee meeting last Thursday that Dawn Aberdeen of the Cornwall FA should have been there to talk about the alterations to the rules on the transfer of players. She couldn't make it but will be at the next meeting.

We were also told that the Cornwall FA were tightening the rules and would start to come down hard on clubs that break or bend them.

Finally we were told that managers shouldn't agree amongst themselves to agree transfers and waive the seven day rule as it was the job of the club secretary to agree.

We will find out more in a couple of months so all combo clubs be there.