Cornwall Football Forum

Who's going to be new Falmouth Town manager??

Whoever comes in will have to be looking at player development first and foremost. Its what a second team is there to do. Winning back the hearts of the youngsters from our youth set up who are playing for other clubs and getting them back into the fold. We will have a 3rd team in the Trelawney league next season which will give another exit route for the youth. Falmouth Town will work hard to entice young players to the club but Its all about stabilising and pulling together for now. Paul and Roy were very successful in what they achieved last season and are hungry for more. No one can blame them for that. I wish th.em both well

I agree suzie! Lots of good young players in falmouth/penryn area that need a team to develop into! There are some great youngsters at penryn that face dont fit with penryn senior teams such as mark simmons, scrubby allen, jay durber and dave bush! Maybe a new management at fal will look around and get these young lads playing again

Whoever comes in will have to be looking at player development first and foremost. Its what a second team is there to do. Winning back the hearts of the youngsters from our youth set up who are playing for other clubs and getting them back into the fold. We will have a 3rd team in the Trelawney league next season which will give another exit route for the youth.

Suzie - I fully agree with you but does this reflect a lack of interest/commitment to the set-up for U15 to U18 players hitherto? This isn't a critical comment but simply a question that I don't know the answer to. One of my lads plays rugby but all of his football playing pals from the Falmouth/Penryn area play for clubs, junior & senior, outside Falmouth. This is obviously disappointing and needs to change as soon as possible. How can they be attracted back?

We are fortunate to have a youth set up which has just recieved a substantial grant which can be used to put potential coaches through courses, pay for training facilities, cover expenses etc. Welsh John who manages the under 16's is a great asset to the club and works tirelessly. Zac who plays for the under18's manages the under15s with very little help. We need more help and more teams. The backing is there. Parents by and large have little interest in getting involved. Under our umbrella we also have the community football run by Arno which is a free drop in session on saturday mornings. A club of Falnouths calibre should have teams at every age group and that is the aim. We cant undo what has been done but we have adopted a fresh positive outlook on things. Anyone interested in offering their help can always pm me!

You are absolutely right in saying you are disappointed to see local lads playing outside of Falmouth. Hopefully we can change that and present ourselves as a magnet for local raw talent

I am sure you will have absolutely no problem in getting voted in. At Helston we have done the same started a third team to keep the former youth players at the club with both the first and second team establishing themselves over the last couple of seasons...its the way to go..good luck with it

Where are your Trelawney league side going to play Suzie?

Roy and Paul may be hungry for more as you put it, but don't you think it would help if your new first team management might actually attract a few players of their own? as bringing in just 3 players 2 of which are Trelawney league standard and could,nt make your reserve team last year is not very good.

Also you need a good reserve team to bring on your local talent, no youth players are going to want to play for a poor side when there are alot better sides just up the road so to speak

I was'nt criticising the managers! and I expect they will go about their buisness as they see fit, But you would expect a managerial duo to bring with them three or four players capable of playing at the standard needed.

If you are going to bring youth through your system you will need a good reserve side,as nowadays the standard has being set (whether you agree with it or not) that county youth players must be playing at senior level.Therefore if you have a decent youth set up with players coming through they will be looking to play at senior level,if you can't offer them a decent stepping stone to your premier league side then they will disperse to other clubs that can offer what they want.So in my opinion you do need a good trelawney side that will attract players capable of playing combo and a good combo side containing players that could possibly step up to premier football. If you have two weak sides you wont attract players with the capabilities of reaching your first team,and then i'm afraid it's back to square one buying in players which cripples every club long term. or you get another manager who buys his way through and when he leaves or gets sacked you are again back to square one. Not just falmouth but any club thats rebuilding

BREAKING SKY SPORTS NEWS.............................MARK HUGHES HAS BEEN SENSENTIONALLY LINKED TO THE FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES MANAGERIAL POSITION, SOURCES CLOSE TO THE Q.P.R MANAGER SAY HE IS FLATTERED TO BE LINKED TO THE CLUB BUT SAYS HE DOESN'T THINK HE IS READY FOR THE BIG STEP UP.........................BREAKING SKY SPORTS NEWS

agree with suzie, there is some great players in the u18 that could step up, however they have been playing for other jnr clubs around, and with the right management surely they would love to play for there home town, the new management need to look at these players and build on that for the future not just go out and get a ready made players as such....

Guest smashing pumpkin
Posted · Hidden by Dave Deacon, November 21, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Dave Deacon, November 21, 2012 - No reason given

I heard mike "pidgeon" williams will be taking over the combo team, not the most experienced but will love to bring through some of the youth in falmouth.

I don't think some people understand how football works off the field. Certainly where a club has numerous teams. All I can say is this regarding our situation at Falmouth

1. Les & myself came in at very very short notice. Yes we do know loads & loads of players, but we don't keep them in a wardrobe & bring them out when we go to a new club. These guys play at other clubs, and if you know the rules regarding getting players from other clubs, then you will realise that you can't just rock them up overnight.

2. Our Combination league side has over 30 players registered, so in theory should never be stretched to the limits quoted by the outgoing managers.

3. For the first team game at Tavistock, bearing in mind we only took the job 5 days before, I borrowed 5 players from Probus, as they didn't have a game. I did this, so as not to leave our Combination side short.

4. The club has been left in an awful state, through poor management off the field, we now have to sort this out, and believe me, with the people now at the helm off the field, we will.

5. Paul & Roy knew there were difficulties behind the scenes, long before Les & myself came in. Their triumphs last season were a great achievement, but in real terms came at a cost, as the first team went out & 'bought' replacements for shortfalls in the squad, rather than use players from the second team. I've run a second team in my first stint at management many years ago, and fully understand how it works. Only if you're very lucky do you keep a settled side.

6. The injury list within the first team squad is horrendous, and hasn't helped. This coupled with a few players leaving has stretched it even more.

Walking away when the going gets tough isn't always the answer, sometimes you just have to dig in. There will be new arrivals over the coming weeks, so whoever takes on the Combo side will have the pressure lifted. I'd like to think that whoever does come in is prepared to work with Les & myself, as we'll help them in whatever way we can. No, it won't be easy, but what is in life these days?

Negotiations are under way for where they will.play.

The first team managers are more than capable of attracting players and they will go about their business as they see fit. Just goes to show what they can get out of players who have otherwise been overlooked doesn't it?

Think you might get some opposition at the vote from all the other Falmouth/Penryn based clubs cos it is only going to cause an even thinner spread of players

RobbieS

Very good points of view above,don't suppose you could enlighten us on exactly who the players were that were "bought in" rather than using the reserve team players?. Mike Odgers got all the statistics, wondering whether it would be possible to find out what players from the reserves actually played for the 1st team last year? as I go to uni with Ben manley I do know that you never paid a keeper to play last season cos he played a few games when Chapman was injured.What people changes have been made off the field other than you and Lesley? Everyone knew from the start that Carey would not be able to manage a team with a small budget,yet after his first resignation (see post on Falmouth out of Senior cup) people wanted him to stay are you blaming him for the state of the club? How are you going to help the new reserve team manager? have you not got a big enough job on yourselves?

Wish you all the best for the season and hope you achieve what you are aiming for Dyl

Rob, as I have said repeatedly, I wish you, Les and everyone all the best at Falmouth Town. I am not going to be drawn into any sort of mudslinging, whether, subtly, or obviously, I will ensure however that any information that comes out is at least accurate!! For the record, last season during the winning of the league and cup double, Roy, myself and the reserves, supported as should always be the case, the first team, the players supplied, for the record during the season, where Dave Rawlings, Adam Pryor,Luke Wort, Sam Reed, Luke Murray, Darren Friend, Steve Winnan, Ben Manley, Nathan Macintosh, Jamie Webb, and Danny Knowles. Hope that clears up any perceived misunderstandings. Once again good luck for your time at a great club. Regards Paul Murray.

No mudslinging, just facts Paul, I'm just responding to someone suggesting that it's Les & myself who are responsible for the demise of the combo side?

In answer to your question Dyl. We have to work as a unit, and whoever we get in to run the combo squad, will get all the help & support possible from Les & myself, along with the hardworking people already at the club. We may well upset one or two along the way, as both Les & myself say it as it is. There is now a limited company who run the club, and they will be running it to a budget which will be within it's means. No I'm not aiming total blame at Alan's feet, there are more factors that would need considering than that. That's why other personnel have come in on all fronts. There are obviously people out there that hope it all fails, but hey that doesn't bother us one bit. It's a very difficult time in the season to come into any club, and just because it's a club the size of Falmouth Town, it doesn't make it any easier. As I've said in my last post, players are settled into the season at other clubs, and why wouldn't they be? Our aim for the rest of this season is stability, with both teams. As Suzi has stated I would like to see a third team based around youngsters playing in the Trelawny league. The aim of this would be to give local players the chance to progress up through the ranks within the club, some posts on here seem to think there's something sinister in this? It's called getting our own house in order, nothing to do with trying to strip other clubs of their players. It's a young mans game & anything we can do to get youngsters playing a better standard of footballl within our area, then surely that's good for all concerned?

Paul had always made players from the combo team available to the first team when required to my knowledge, several players did play and if any didn't that's not Paul's fault that the first team manager decided to get new players signed instead of taking his pick from the reserves!

Personally I think that the success of the combo team last season highlighted that the hunger for doing it all over again this season detracted from what the club needed to do, namely look at player development. The opportunity at the beginning of this season to encorporate some younger players including some of our under 18's into the squad ( most of who had played part seasons at other clubs) was not taken. In terms of building for the future its what we have to do

The relationship between managers is essential in creating a well balanaced club. I genuinely believe that for whoever does the combo, a wealth of experience, support and encouragement will be shown by Les and Robbie.

Suzie, just look at my phone records to see the number if phone calls made to the better under 18 players, who were asked to play for the seconds, unfortunately they did not seem to want to make that step up. All of the post that are being made by the people if Town, seem to be very badly researched, at this time. You all have my phone number if you require accurate information.

I know Rob,Les and Paul well enough to know that if they worked together good things would have happened at Town. Sometimes when a ressie side wins their league the idea is more success will come in future seasons,not always so,some players will have shown their worth and will move onwards or upwards.Town ressies last year probably had a reasonably steady side,because of the nature of the first team,now they are required to fully support Towns cause there seems to be problems,WHY. Lets not forget when Rob and Les were at Truro the ressies were successful,infact the year they were forced out Truro were top of the Combo and went on to win it.

Havent Falmouth had a third team twice before in the last 10 or so years?

Hopefully this time it would be sustained.

They have had a third team before, but only out of necessity, bar takings!!!!

Pitch options???? Union corner I would think, on one of the school pitches.

Big rumour, other players leaving, but only a rumour.

fal town reserve captain here...congrates to paul and roys move to wendron and thanks a lot to the players who have walked away mid season from the club when your needed the most ! i doubt you can walk away from a great club with your heads held high as wat you have done is guttless and bang out of order ! the reserves now basically just have to fullfill their fixters and get wat we can. the players that have left would of all been capable of playing for the 1st team and helping the club out as a whole, not really gave rob, les, the lads which are sticking together and fal town much respect here boys hey ! shame on you all ! got no prob players leaving in summer, giving any managment time to build a bigger squad, which is something paul n roy didnt do this season due to a few lads about last season and not getting fresh faces to the club .but half way through the season ? when really we need to all pull together and not just off ! nice 1 lads ! :clapper: ... we had a great season last yr which by no means was easy and now when the chips are down and your needed to really work for a result on a sat says it all about the players that have gone. no doubt the clubs you join wiil lick your ass n tell you how great you are and how you will be such a credit to them but underneath they no aswell as everyone else your not loyal and wouldnt stick around when times are tough. will end my post by thanking all the loyal fal town players who are still at the club and invite any players who are maybe not playing or not signed on to any other combo team to lend a hand,,cheers dave. :angry: