Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Penzance

Newquay 0 Penzance 2

Newquay were deservidly beaten by a very workman like Penzance side,Newquay failed to heed the warnings that if you let Wayne Quinn run the game you will be punshed,He had a very good game.

No quibble over the result,but the isssue of not having independant lines persons is going to be a hotly debated issue judging by the two today.

Guest Black&White

Newquay 0, Penzance 2 (Stuart Reynolds, Sean McMahon)

SECOND half goals from summer signings Stuart Reynolds and Sean McMahon gave Penzance the perfect start to life in the new South West Peninsula League at Mount Wise on Saturday.

Penzance had much the better of the chances in both halves, hitting the bar either side of half time through Steve Hancock and Nick Pugliese, before Reynolds finally put the visitors ahead five minutes into the second half, after good work by Pugliese down the left.

The goal was no more than Reynolds deserved for a tireless performance up front for his new club, and substitute Sean McMahon ensured the Magpies a thoroughly deserved three points soon after he had come off the bench, stooping to head home Dan Magee's excellent right wing cross 12 minutes from time.

NEWQUAY: William Holland; Luke Rigby, Oliver Dart, Jodie Dean, Martin Lentern, Patrick Rushdon, Adam Bromley, Sean Middleton, Paul Cox, Lee Rickard, Sam McKune. Subs: Sam Hunter (for Rushdon, 56), Sean Lawrence (for Rigby, 69); Gregory Prouse, Jack Hunter, John Hodge (not used).

PENZANCE: Craig Nicholls; James Greet, Jay Liddicoat, Wayne Quinn ©, James Street, Dean Mooney, Dan Magee, Nick Pugliese, Steve Hancock, Stuart Reynolds, Steve Burt. Subs: Sean McMahon (for Hancock, 75), Tom Withecombe (for Reynolds, 85), Rob Robinson (not used).

Referee: Steve Rose (Penryn).

Guest Black&White

In reply to Bazzer, found your comments regarding today's assistant referees a little harsh. Not sure who the Newquay lino was but he was obviously fair and unbiased. Ok he made a few mistakes, but who doesn't... in any case his main achievement was to stay on two feet for the entire 90 minutes, as he was wearing trainers on a soaking wet touchline.

Penzance lino was club secretary John Mead, who I thought did a good job, and even corrected the ref on one occasion when he had awarded Penzance a goal kick instead of a Newquay corner in the second half.

The main talking point should be as to why, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, several match officials were without a match this afternoon, leaving willing volunteers to officiate in what is supposedly a 'senior' league?

Overall though a good all round peformance from Penzance, with several candidates for man of the match; Wayne Quinn and Steve Burt were strong in midfield, James Street and James Greet excellent at the back, Nick Pugliese oozed class at times and Stuart Reynolds showing signs that he could prove to be an excellent acquisition up front.

Guest Dermot

Cheers Bazzer,maybe if everyone kicks up enough we might get the 3 Officials for both the West & East Peninsula leagues? ;0) :c:

OOPS LOOKS LIKE I DID. ;0/

I Know its only the first game of the season but after that performance by Newquay its going to be a very long season if they do not improve quickly. All credit to Penzance they deserved to win this game hands down they totally dominated the 2nd half in fact i cant recall Craig Nicholls the Penzance goalkeeper having to make a single save. It was a young Newquay side on the pitch today who should in time improve but the Penzance side were not exactly ready for their pensions yet and were straight out of the blocks today.

A quick count in the Referees Appointments book reveals that only 43 Cornish Referees were used yesterday - excluding F.A. Cup and Western League games - so there really is no excuse for not appointing Assistant Referees to all SWPL Div 1 matches for the opening week's fixtures. I realise that there may not be enough to go round every week but understood the arrangement was that they would be appointed if available: it seems that this is no longer the case.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I had no problem with John or Andrew running the line, although I would prefer those appointed by the League, FA or whoever makes these decisions. However, whilst Penzance deserved to win, Newquay had a clear penalty decision not given. Free kick was taken and a Newquay played hauled over in the box before the ball arrived, the ref decides the free kick should be taken again ???

One match does not make a season, ask any Man Utd fan and they will tell you they will still win the league.