Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth's new management team announced

Kirk Davies to Helston

Mark Verdesi to Newquay

Lewis Caspell and Bradley Wills to Penzance

and just seen Matt Laity and Ryan Hollands have left

Only heard of four of them, have heard a different name as well, we'll see.

Oh dear, If these players have left because of Gilby and Robbie, then thats out of order, they do not deserve that. These are two reasonable fella's being given no time, if its money then good riddance, bring on the local boys and I may come out and watch. Bloody hell did I say that, better go and lie down.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record. There has been no falling out with any of the players that we've inherited. One is disillusioned with football at the moment, and has decided not to play until he gets his head straight. Nothing to do with Les or myself. He has also said we can retain his registration, so it's nothing to do with any other clubs.

Mark Vercesi has decided to go to Newquay, for his own reasons, and we wish him well. I have no axe to grind, he put a good performance in at Tavi on Saturday for us, and did me proud when he played for me at PZ a few years ago.

The two youngsters who have gone back to Penzance, made their minds up to do so before Les & myself were anywhere near the job. Again we wish them well. I spoke to one of them, and he told me he just wanted to play for his hometown club, and should never have left in the first place.

Ryan Holland has not left the club, he's living with his girlfriend in Weston-super-mare at the moment, and obviously the distance makes it a bit difficult. His registration remains with us.

It was always obvious that some players would go, and rest assured there will be some new guys coming in. Whatever anyone says or thinks, both Les and myself don't really care. We are in this for the long haul, we will rebuild the whole squad if we have to. There are some fantastic players still at the club, and we are confident that we will get the best out of them, and whoever we bring in. Love us or loathe us, Falmouth Town will remain competitive, even without paying out silly monies. I had a discussion with a good friend of mine who happens to be a committee member at another big Cornish club, and what I said to him was this. You can bring in these managers who tempt big name players, with silly amounts of money, and that money doesn't necessarily have to come direct from the club itself. What if that manager goes, or the money dries up? Here's what happens. They all leave the club, and then you're left with nothing, no players, no money, just a big debt. I have never left a club with either of these problems, and what's more, never would! We might not have won leagues, but we've always been competitive, and been value for money.

The current climate isn't ideal to go cap in hand to businesses for funds, and if you are lucky enough to find a company to throw a few quid in the pot, my advice would be, don't throw it all away in one go, and certainly not on players who couldn't give a hoot who they play for. I think the butterfly culture some players adopt is bad for not only the clubs involved, but local football in general.

We may not pull up trees in the league this season, but I will stick my neck out and say this. Nobody is more stubborn or determined than Les or myself, and the harder it gets, the more we dig in, we will get this club back on it's feet, and it will be in a much healthier state when we decide to call it a day, than when we arrived. We have the full backing of everybody on the board, and they have our total commitment in doing this job. We want to see happy faces, both on and off the field at this club.

Can confirm that Lewis and Bradley were coming home to Penzance before the change of management at Falmouth. It looks bad, but wrong timing for the new management team at Town.

Good luck to Town and their new set up. Plenty of players in their Reserves can step up and make the grade. Their Reserve team will suffer for a few weeks but that is what reserve teams are for, to train and provide new first team players.

Uncle Lesl nor myself do bull****, in my 35years (whoops) I've learned that those who do get found out. We have a mess to sort out here, but we knew that when we took it on. There is still too much bull**** within local football, and the trouble is there are too many who are full of it running some clubs. And that's nota dig at all other managers, just some along with committees and club officials who put any club at risk by throwing monies about that they don't have.

Uncle Lesl nor myself do bull****, in my 35years (whoops) I've learned that those who do get found out. We have a mess to sort out here, but we knew that when we took it on. There is still too much bull**** within local football, and the trouble is there are too many who are full of it running some clubs. And that's nota dig at all other managers, just some along with committees and club officials who put any club at risk by throwing monies about that they don't have.

Well said that man. Except for the 35 years bit - thats bull***t

Well said Robbie! I'm sure you and Les will get Falmouth on an even keel and repair the damage that was done by throwing money around that the club didn't have on players with no affinity for the club. Hopefully, you will be there for the long haul and can put together a young side who will be proud to play for Falmouth. I'm sure there will be some fun along the way.

With regard to the precarious financial position that Falmouth found/find themselves in, it defies logic for a club, any club, to be spending money on players that they don't actually have. It smacks of weak leadership.

Spot on Falfootie. We will get our house in order & the people that are in charge of the clubs affairs now are no fools. I think all in all Les & myself are a good fit with who's there & what's needed at the club. I have been assured that when we get the club to where we want it to be, no big time Charlie will be brought in to knock the house down again.

And the person who told me that I trust more than enough to know he'll honour his word.

I know my main concern is Falmouth Town now & that's where all my energies will be funnelled, but I do worry about the road some other clubs have gone down. My hometown club is the prime example, and I certainly do not want to see any club in a precarious financial position. The CSWPL would be a sorry state without all the usual suspects involved. I love going to these places & catching up with the great people I've met over the years. The social side of the game is as important as the game itself. I'd hate not going to Blazey, PZ, Bodmin, Newquay, Launceston etc etc etc. Hoping Wadebridge & a Truro team are back in too, it makes for great games, and great banter. It's sad to see what's happened at Truro, but if we can take a positive from it, surely the best positive anyone can take is to say we can't let that happen to our club, at whatever club or level you're at!

Good question!!!

Bit like the premier league. Liverpool are a bigger club than Chelsea, but currently Chelsea are more successful on the pitch. A club is built on a successful history, so maybe if Truro stay where they are for the next 10 years or so, then they would overtake them.

From my day back in the 90's of following local football as a kid, Falmouth Town were always the club that you would aspire to play for down here. They've got a great enclosed ground with a proper stand and terracing about the pitch on all sides. Ok, this is all gone to look shoddy now, but its still the best arena to play football in in Cornwall.

The likes of Rappo, George Torrance, Justin Ashburn, Dave Sweet, the Street brothers and a load of others they were top top players of their time. Falmouth also had a proper football fan following, ok, the F Troop may not have been everyones cup of tea but they were young men going out to watch their local football team and giving atmosphere to good local derbies. Especially on Boxing Day

Thats my opinion, doesn't make it right, just that is what I think.

i remember when the f troop turned up at Truro after winning a final at bodmin,wrong decision ,got a right hiding from tabby and co,even think Johny Burrows joined in,the great f troop sent home with tails between there legs,and lots of bloody noses :yahoo: :yahoo:

I think the average age of F troop was about thirteen. However Tabby was, and probably still is a man and a half.

Bloody pain in the arse to play again'st. Very good footballer, strong as an ox, good shot, good crosser of the ball and always in the thick of it, had a few eyeballs with him, which was generally a mistake. OUCH!!!! Ho ho ho!

Totally agree with Daz's post. I remember my dad taking me to Falmouth when I was about 8 onwards and watching that great team play in the western league and even though I'm a Truro boy born and bred I always wanted to play for Town from that day on. Treyew Road never had the same buzz as walking in at Bickland. Like Daz said, its a proper football ground. Although these days Truro is a nice place to go and watch very good football. Really pleased I got to play in some excellent Town teams and with fantastic players and blokes in front of brilliant supporters. Think that scrap was probably mine and Philpys fault Hayd!!?? After we thrashed D &C Police 5-0 in the SWL cup final up Priory Park we popped back the club to see you with a few of the lads and some of the F Troop came in to have a beer with us I think but they never made it up to our end of the club!!! Glad Tabby never beat us up as well mate!!! :-). Like a bull in a china shop that night!! Top bloke though, remember his hat-trick against Wolves in a 5-5 pre season friendly game, young Tim Flowers in goal for them!? All the best Hayd, love Mr. Smear!!! :-). X

Thought it was 6-6 that Wolves game Rappo!!!

I remember being behind the goal at the training ground end. Used to go to all of those games and still got loads of programmes with signatures in them! Man Utd game, got about 4 programmes, one with autographs in it, and only come across the Whiskey nosed one himself in it as well

Falmouth Town = Biggest club in Cornwall

Might not be the best team, but they're definitely the biggest club, regardless of Truro's current situation

Best of luck Robbie and Les

Falmouth Town = Biggest club in Cornwall

Just out of interest what would a club have to do to replace Falmouth as the biggest club in Cornwall?

Good question!!!

Bit like the premier league. Liverpool are a bigger club than Chelsea, but currently Chelsea are more successful on the pitch. A club is built on a successful history, so maybe if Truro stay where they are for the next 10 years or so, then they would overtake them.

From my day back in the 90's of following local football as a kid, Falmouth Town were always the club that you would aspire to play for down here. They've got a great enclosed ground with a proper stand and terracing about the pitch on all sides. Ok, this is all gone to look shoddy now, but its still the best arena to play football in in Cornwall.

The likes of Rappo, George Torrance, Justin Ashburn, Dave Sweet, the Street brothers and a load of others they were top top players of their time. Falmouth also had a proper football fan following, ok, the F Troop may not have been everyones cup of tea but they were young men going out to watch their local football team and giving atmosphere to good local derbies. Especially on Boxing Day

Thats my opinion, doesn't make it right, just that is what I think.

4 x Western League Champions

14 x South Western League Championships

12 x League Cup Winners

11 x Cornwall Senior Cup Winners

and 3 x F.A Cup First Round

" Up the Town"

Son of lineker, its not what you have won, its the aura built up over 50 odd years of success. Success means being competitive not necessarily winning it. Although it helps.

Truro cannot compete with the aura that Falmouth created. Also with their present problems they are damaging badly any credibility that they had. Now they have to try and restore it. For all the trouble Falmouth now find themselves in, it pales compared to theirs.

As I posted it will take a generation for Falmouths aura to fade, maybe not even then.

Yes great shame but it is due to their lowly position

The best side in the League,Bodmin averaging 106

Falmouth Average gates ib the Peninsula League

2007-08 Ave.120 Pos. 4th. CSWPL Ave 97 (All clubs)

2008-09 Ave. 93 Pos.14th. CSWPL Ave.95

2009-10 Ave. 135.Pos. 3rd, CSWPl. Ave 97

2010-11 Ave.120 Pos. 5th. CSWPL Ave. 97

2011-12 Ave. 126. Pos 3rd. CSWPL Ave 92

2012-13 Ave 99 Pos 15th. CSWPL Ave.92

Yes great shame but it is due to their lowly position

The best side in the League,Bodmin averaging 106

Falmouth Average gates ib the Peninsula League

2007-08 Ave.120 Pos. 4th. CSWPL Ave 97 (All clubs)

2008-09 Ave. 93 Pos.14th. CSWPL Ave.95

2009-10 Ave. 135.Pos. 3rd, CSWPl. Ave 97

2010-11 Ave.120 Pos. 5th. CSWPL Ave. 97

2011-12 Ave. 126. Pos 3rd. CSWPL Ave 92

2012-13 Ave 99 Pos 15th.

Well Mr Odgers those figures show how far local football has fallen out of favour with all and sundry. Indicitive of the general decline in football nationally. Reasons ? To much football on the telly, Premier league given god status, X box, ease of travelling the world, mobility and a host of other things to do. All of which we never had as younster's.

The restructuring of Cornish football has not helped either, too much travelling.

Football I'm afraid is well down on peoples lists of things to do, and its going to get worse.

Great Post ' Son of Lineker' Falmouth have a great history, but as a Gunnislake follower didn't Gunny beat Falmouth in the cornwall senior cup when Gunny were a P&D side? Ex Argyle Keith Southcott and brother Graham Southcott both played.

Football I'm afraid is well down on peoples lists of things to do, and its going to get worse

I agree. As I've said on this forum before the apalling behaviour of players and managers towards match officials does nothing to help the image of the game and attendances. RobbieS has made some good postings on this thread, but I would like to know if he's going to insist that his sides treat referees with respect and if he's going to clamp dowm on swearing and bad behaviour both on the pitch and on the bench!

Great Post ' Son of Lineker' Falmouth have a great history, but as a Gunnislake follower didn't Gunny beat Falmouth in the cornwall senior cup when Gunny were a P&D side? Ex Argyle Keith Southcott and brother Graham Southcott both played.

Yeah Mex they did I was at that game and expecting an easy victory,what year was that I'm guessing late seventies maybe 1980?

Too many games played on a Saturday. One manager recent stated that there are too few people watching SWPL games as they are playing in East Cornwall / Trelawny / Duchy leagues. Upcountry, a big number of the 'Junior' leagues play on a Sunday thus freeing up players to watch or even play at a slightly higher level.

My club, Newquay AFC put out 4 sides on a Saturday, 2 Senior, 2 Junior. If the Junior players games were on a Sunday, it is possible that as many as 30 players may watch SWPL or Combo games. If you add 15 from each club in each of the 3 league mentioned, the amount of players must reach 1,000 or more, that is players who Senior clubs are unable to attract through the gates or into the bar on a Saturday.

Good topic but way off the 'Falmouth' Management discussion - Les (Cornwalls Ian Holloway) & Robbie (Di Matteo) !

Goldeneye, I always tell players not to get on officials backs. I might ask you questions when you do something I don't agree with. This doesn't mean I don't respect you. I'll tell you now, there's no way I could do your job, the culture set by premiership players and the professional game in general highlights verbal abuse of officials. You see on screen every week players telling the ref to ???? off, surely the powers that be could stop that? I think it's drowned out at the likes of Old Trafford, but if someone shouts offensive language at say Priory Park, there's a good chance everybody in the ground hears it.

As a manager, I kick every ball, and get totally wrapped up in the game, and I think most other managers would say the same, so yes we do say things, and ask you questions? Like I've said, it's not a personal attack, I think you're a nice guy. I just care about what I do. I don't think you've ever taken a game when I've played, you'd then understand what I'm trying to say. I'm harder on myself than anyone else on the field, whether it's team mates, opponents, or men in black, so please never take anything I say to you personally, I call myself things that I'd never say to you. I think it's called ultra competitive in some corners, Uncle Les would probably just tell you I'm nuts! Haha. All I ever ask for is the right decision, and consistency, and yes I know we're only human, so there will always be a mistake or two. I remember Peter George in a game many years ago, when I was playing. I said, you missed that ref, and he said you missed an easier chance than that just now! What could I say to that? And he was right, what I'm trying to say here is, if officials used a bit more humour & tact, instead of trying to be like the police, we'd all get on a lot better during games. Yes we need you guys, but some use the position for the wrong reasons. There were a couple of refs a few years ago that used to be doing their daytime jobs on the field, thankfully they're not there anymore, and in my opinion they should never have been in the first place! 99% of the time your decisions are spot on, which is excellent. I will question you on the 1% though, but as a manager I'll make a whole load more mistakes over a season than you will!

Kev, keep smiling, I might not during the game, but I always do afterwards mate.

Good topic but way off the 'Falmouth' Management discussion - Les (Cornwalls Ian Holloway) & Robbie (Di Matteo) !

Can't agree with you there Nemesis - it's the other way around. I think Ian Holloway is the Football League's Les Gilbert :). I bet Les is as 'happy as a badger on the first day of the mating season'!

Good luck to Robbie and Les

Good luck to Stevo and Uncle Les tomorrow with their first match at the theatre of dreams, Bickland Park!!! Hope you win gents, I'll be straight in the car with Radio Cornwall on after footie supporting you!! If you get a free kick last five minutes in range Stevo you'll have to throw yourself on and have a strike with that 83 mph left peg mate!!! x

Good luck to Stevo and Uncle Les tomorrow with their first match at the theatre of dreams, Bickland Park!!! Hope you win gents, I'll be straight in the car with Radio Cornwall on after footie supporting you!! If you get a free kick last five minutes in range Stevo you'll have to throw yourself on and have a strike with that 83 mph left peg mate!!! x

Getting into the car after counting up all the goals you have scored tomorrow no doubt or is the old war wound keeping you from playing mate. Looking for a striker but our pitch might be a bit big for you now tho lol. ######

Any pitch is too big for me Bash!!!! Thanks mate but don't think my 45 year old knees would be up to getting in your team though bud!!! Won't take me long to count tomorrow Bash, we got Camborne Park away and a few players out so don't anticipate much of a sniff mate!? I'm centre half at the moment!!! Keep up the good work, catch you somewhere bud x

Can't agree with you there Nemesis - it's the other way around. I think Ian Holloway is the Football League's Les Gilbert :). I bet Les is as 'happy as a badger on the first day of the mating season'!

Good luck to Robbie and Les

Bloody hell!! I would not want to be a Badger at this moment - bang bang!!

I,too was at this match-surely the greatest Senior Cup upset ever!.As well as brothers,Ginger and Cec Southcott played,memory obliges to recall that the real star was a very young Kelvin Howe.

Two things I will always remember about this day was seeing Godfrey Smale rubbing his hands together throughout the game; and the look of sheer disbelief on the face of Roy Mallett as he trooped off the pitch.

A truly unforgettable day!

I’m not a referee Robbie nor have I played football in any league. I am just a spectator / fan / customer.

Unfortunately due to the bad behaviour on the pitch and touchline, football has become a sport that a lot of people don’t want to watch as a family. I’m just pointing out one of the aspects of the game that needs to change in order to attract more spectators / fans / customers. The first rule of business is ‘the customer is always right’. If football doesn’t want higher attendances then don’t change anything!

I,too was at this match-surely the greatest Senior Cup upset ever!.As well as brothers,Ginger and Cec Southcott played,memory obliges to recall that the real star was a very young Kelvin Howe.

Two things I will always remember about this day was seeing Godfrey Smale rubbing his hands together throughout the game; and the look of sheer disbelief on the face of Roy Mallett as he trooped off the pitch.

Are you sure you were at the match played in 1980-81 season

Roy Mallett left Falmouth 12 seasons earlier

2-2 at Bickland Park and 2-1 Replay at Gunnislake -Yes its got to be the biggest upset in the modern C,Senior Cup

Any pitch is too big for me Bash!!!! Thanks mate but don't think my 45 year old knees would be up to getting in your team though bud!!! Won't take me long to count tomorrow Bash, we got Camborne Park away and a few players out so don't anticipate much of a sniff mate!? I'm centre half at the moment!!! Keep up the good work, catch you somewhere bud x

Centre half eh? Now you know what it is like chasing around hot strikers ha ha. The scene will be set for you mate - clean sheet for 89 minutes and you know who grabs the winner for a 1-0 win for St Erme. Will never keep the legend down!!!!! See you soon bud

Rappo, the people in the houses behind the goal at Bickland moved when I was playing. They thought the Luftwaffe were back mate!!

Goldeneye, I'm sorry, I thought you were a well known referee. And you are totally right in what you say, the behaviour of some players and managers does need to change at all levels. Although the Premier league is pretty much a sellout every week. Locally it is certainly not what it was, but I don't think that it's all down to behaviour problems, I think there are other things to do these days? I'd like to think that attendances will rise at Bickland now, we do need them to! I do tell the lads to keep off the refs back, and will do all I can to wind my own neck in as well. The dugouts at Bickland are right under the stand, so pretty much everything that's said in them can be heard up in the stand.

Could it of been Steve mallet?what a player he was!

Are you sure you were at the match played in 1980-81 season

Roy Mallett left Falmouth 12 seasons earlier

2-2 at Bickland Park and 2-1 Replay at Gunnislake -Yes its got to be the biggest upset in the modern C,Senior Cup

Cornish Hoop sorry for the late reply. I asked Ian Southcott what year the game took place and he thinks it was 1981-82.(sorry if this is incorrect but I deleted his message)! He said Keith Southcott was manager. Perhaps he was player manager and Godfrey Smale was overlooking things whitch would conicide with Aldstrops post. Cant believe Argyle released Kelvin Howe, probably one of the best players around at the time. Change in management probably didnt help.

Son of lineker, its not what you have won, its the aura built up over 50 odd years of success. Success means being competitive not necessarily winning it. Although it helps.

As I posted it will take a generation for Falmouths aura to fade, maybe not even then.

So by your reasoning the following teams weren't successful they only had an 'aura':

England 1966 Liverpool 1972- 1990 Everton 1984 -1987

Manchester United 1993 - Chelsea 2005 - Barcelona 2006 -

Real Madrid 1955 -1965 Ajax 1971- 1973 Bayern Munich 1974 -1976

Brazil 1958,1962,1970,1994,2002 Spain 2008 -

etc,etc

All these teams (apologies to those I have left out !) are recognised worldwide as being successful teams why ?

because they won trophies.

By your reasoning TOIGTBIW all teams are successful because all teams are by their very nature competitive.

Even if it takes a generation for Falmouth's 'aura' to fade it will certainly take a lot longer for your beloved Penryn's as they

don't even have one !

Keep talking the twaddle it gives the rest of us someone to laugh at :D

Rappo, the people in the houses behind the goal at Bickland moved when I was playing. They thought the Luftwaffe were back mate!!

Goldeneye, I'm sorry, I thought you were a well known referee. And you are totally right in what you say, the behaviour of some players and managers does need to change at all levels. Although the Premier league is pretty much a sellout every week. Locally it is certainly not what it was, but I don't think that it's all down to behaviour problems, I think there are other things to do these days? I'd like to think that attendances will rise at Bickland now, we do need them to! I do tell the lads to keep off the refs back, and will do all I can to wind my own neck in as well. The dugouts at Bickland are right under the stand, so pretty much everything that's said in them can be heard up in the stand.

and add all the trouble you and les got me in to,probably a good job i got a bad back,still two of the nicest guys you could meet. :thumbsup: :Santa:

So by your reasoning the following teams weren't successful they only had an 'aura':

England 1966 Liverpool 1972- 1990 Everton 1984 -1987

Manchester United 1993 - Chelsea 2005 - Barcelona 2006 -

Real Madrid 1955 -1965 Ajax 1971- 1973 Bayern Munich 1974 -1976

Brazil 1958,1962,1970,1994,2002 Spain 2008 -

etc,etc

All these teams (apologies to those I have left out !) are recognised worldwide as being successful teams why ?

because they won trophies.

By your reasoning TOIGTBIW all teams are successful because all teams are by their very nature competitive.

Even if it takes a generation for Falmouth's 'aura' to fade it will certainly take a lot longer for your beloved Penryn's as they

don't even have one !

Keep talking the twaddle it gives the rest of us someone to laugh at :D

Hello SoL Penryn???? WRONG!!!! You certainly did not understand that post did you, I'll dumb down a bit for you if it will help LOL.

Try thinking about not winning but being in the final, not winning the league but being consistantly in the top three and so on.

I did post - winning helps, but obviously in your haste to post you forgot to read it correctly. Never mind, must try harder SoL