Cornwall Football Forum

Mark Clattenberg

hoppit

I cannot see how Clattenberg could possibly make the decisions he made today without outside influence, i have often thought that for some reason the Premiership needs Utd to win the league regardless of how they get there. I could accept his decisions if he was out of position for the Torres sending off but he was in prime position. After that Rooney deliberately fouled making no attempt to play the ball, a certain booking, guess what not even a talking to. This is not the first time this ref has been biased, he should be banned from reffing ever again, he is either incompetent or there is another reason, i hope he,s incompetent. The United third goal was way offside. Be difficult for United to fail this year i reckon.

One mistake is human, but te double mistaken sending off followed by the offside winner leads me to conclude that you may have a point, Hoppit. I'm sure he'll be on the same Xmas card lists as Anders Frisk and the Norweigan who refused four clear pealties against Barca.

Not that it'll matter in the long run: Chelsea will win the Premiership easily.

Hernandez has just said "we were very lucky" and the Irish bozo number 6 whose name escapes me has just admitted that he "made contact with Torres, but not enough contact for him to go down."

He clearly fails to understand the laws of the game. If referees were good enough to give penalties correctly without players going down at all, simulation would vanish.

While there are refs like Clangerberg, this is a vain hope !

As a neutral I thought that it was a cracking game but unfortunately without question the result was directly affected by the referee.

Clattenberg's the star of the show again, a perpetual preening peacock.

Feel a bit sorry for Torres as he will have no right of appeal against the 2nd yellow card. This is a prime of example of that rule needing to be modernised.

At 2-2 after 53 minutes, before Clattenburg remembered who owes what to whom, you were rocking !

How did the mighty Well get on yesterday ?.....I was delighted to hear of the Tinners taking the points at Culdrose on Bill Pearce's 80th birthday...the bright spot in my weekend !

Beat St Agnes 3-0 at the Well. Pearcy is a legend .. :c:

He's probably watched Cleverley's lack of mobility for England. Seeing him in a red kit, he innocently concluded that Cleverly is a pile of bricks.

Glad you agree that it was a 'brickwall' sending off. :thumbsup:

So you agree the ref was a joke, even you must agree he made sure United were gonna a win. I have only seen decisions on a par with this in under 10's football when one of the dads is reffing his little soldier. In fact Clattenberg reminds me of somebodys little soldier, i wonder who's. Makes a mockery of the prem in my opinion happens far too often to be a coincedence. Utd have now got Webb Halsey and Clattenberg in their pocket. I'm going to put a grand on em to win the league tmoz, easy money i reckon.

So you agree the ref was a joke

No I don't.

Do you agree that Torres studs up 'neck high' lunge at Cleverley was a straight red? It was identical to Nigel de Jong's tackle in the 2010 World Cup Final which all the football pundits agreed should have been a straight red.

So do you think the ref had a good game? I didn't take much notice of the kung fu kick, you are the only one to mention it, nothing was said by Neville Souness or Ferguson so maybe we all missed it except you. If that did happen that makes the refs performance even worse.

I missed the Torres lunge as I must have been on a toilet break but from a neutral point of view the ref did have a very poor game and from what you're saying he got that decision wrong too, which means that he was even poorer than I thought.

Ive had a dicky tummy too .. :D

you are the only one to mention it

Neville and Souness discussed it after the game and said it should have been a straight red! If you didn't see the kung fu tackle or it being discussed then how much else did you miss?

I missed the second Rooney tackle but saw it after, looked a stonewall caution to me which would have been his second. I didn't watch every kick of the ball but most of what i did see looked biased towards Utd, that's not their fault providing there was no outside influence. but i have my doubts,it happens far to often. Maybe it's just the pressure of reffing such a big industry that is Man Utd. Oh and I also saw the third goal which if he were the assisstant ref Stevie Wonder would have given offside. I'm not a Chelsea fan but i like to see fair play and today it didn't happen, lots of times it doesn't happen.

Disgraceful: "inappropiate language"....were Clattenberk's decisions racilly motivated ?

He will be suspended within a week and qute right too.

Ferguson has taken the game down to the level of zero credibility seen in coorupt banana republics where corruption of referees is commonplace.

We won you lost get over it !!! Its about time 3 points hurts you when they are ours lol .. Keep on posting Rod! but in Cornish ! :c:

Neville and Souness discussed it after the game and said it should have been a straight red! If you didn't see the kung fu tackle or it being discussed then how much else did you miss?

I missed the second Rooney tackle but saw it after, looked a stonewall caution to me which would have been his second. I didn't watch every kick of the ball but most of what i did see looked biased towards Utd, that's not their fault providing there was no outside influence. but i have my doubts,it happens far to often. Maybe it's just the pressure of reffing such a big industry that is Man Utd. Oh and I also saw the third goal which if he were the assisstant ref Stevie Wonder would have given offside. I'm not a Chelsea fan but i like to see fair play and today it didn't happen, lots of times it doesn't happen.

No need to put on here a comment like that !! this is banter !! :(

Disgraceful: "inappropiate language"....were Clattenberk's decisions racilly motivated ?

He will be suspended within a week and qute right too.

Ferguson has taken the game down to the level of zero credibility seen in coorupt banana republics where corruption of referees is commonplace.

We won you lost get over it !!! Its about time 3 points hurts you when they are ours lol .. Keep on posting Rod! but in Cornish ! :c:

You are quite correct by fair means or foul a win is a win and 3pts. When i pick up my winnings at the end of the season i won't give a toss if it's by fair means or foul. Makes betting a lot easier if it's foul though.

It's tongue in cheek, don't take life so seriously as you say it's only banter. Dear o dear.

What comment????

Well I don't support either Chelsea or Man Utd, but enjoy watching Sunday football on the box, and have to say this was a shocking display by a supposedly top referee! It was a complete joke, so one sided, Clattenburg might as well have been wearing a Man Utd shirt. Almost every important decision went Utd's way, ridiculous sending off of Torres, no second booking for Rooney which would have meant he would have walked and then an off-side goal allowed. What a complete shambles!

Just heard that Chelsea have made an official complaint about language used by Clattenburg to their players, well I hope the FA look at the whole game and take him to task!

What comment????

Well I don't support either Chelsea or Man Utd, but enjoy watching Sunday football on the box, and have to say this was a shocking display by a supposedly top referee! It was a complete joke, so one sided, Clattenburg might as well have been wearing a Man Utd shirt. Almost every important decision went Utd's way, ridiculous sending off of Torres, no second booking for Rooney which would have meant he would have walked and then an off-side goal allowed. What a complete shambles!

Just heard that Chelsea have made an official complaint about language used by Clattenburg to their players, well I hope the FA look at the whole game and take him to task!

So who do you support?

What comment????

So who do you support?

I've supported Arsenal for over 45 years and proud of it. No silverware for several years, but doesn't mean I'm ready to change teams ever!

this was a shocking display by a supposedly top referee! It was a complete joke, so one sided, Clattenburg might as well have been wearing a Man Utd shirt. Almost every important decision went Utd's way

If that's true why did the referee not send Torres off in ther 1st half for his dreadful tackle on Cleverley. He surely wouldn't have missed that opportunity if he was biased. Do you remember last season when Man City beat United 6-1 at Old Trafford? The ref that day was, yes your right, MarK Clattenberg!

this was a shocking display by a supposedly top referee! It was a complete joke, so one sided, Clattenburg might as well have been wearing a Man Utd shirt. Almost every important decision went Utd's way

If that's true why did the referee not send Torres off in ther 1st half for his dreadful tackle on Cleverley. He surely wouldn't have missed that opportunity if he was biased. Do you remember last season when Man City beat United 6-1 at Old Trafford? The ref that day was, yes your right, MarK Clattenberg!

Well some do have short memories !!! Match of the day is on now so ..... :yahoo:

The linesman gave what he saw in real time, not after a dozen replays !!! In real time that looked a good goal to anyone.

As for the referee being in the pocket of Man U - nonsense, he just had a bit of a bad one, unfortunate, but we've all had one of them.

Get over it - its only a game.

What next, American style replays to get it right every time, that would completely ruin the pace the game is played at and ruin the spectacle.

Goal line technology would be the only thing I would agree with. Other than that just get on with it.

The linesman gave what he saw in real time, not after a dozen replays !!! In real time that looked a good goal to anyone.

As for the referee being in the pocket of Man U - nonsense, he just had a bit of a bad one, unfortunate, but we've all had one of them.

What next, American style replays to get it right every time, that would completely ruin the pace the game is played at and ruin the spectacle.

Goal line technology would be the only thing I would agree with. Other than that just get on with it.

What you say might be right, but if I had a bad day at work of that proportion I would get the sack and so would most others, so lets hope his boss sees sense and gets rid of him.

Funny how on the forum we are always on the subject of refs? Get in utd haha. 20:34 mark clattenburg and sir alex spotted in same restaurant drinking fergies red wine. Hehehehe

And we wonder why the country is in such a mess, don't need to look far do we, as long as we win fairness don't come into it, same in sport, same in government! Hope you feel proud, hehehe, pathetic!

next you will be saying Saurez was off side!!

next you will be saying Saurez was off side!!

Which goal ????? ho ho ho!

If you throw Arteta's dubious winner against QPR into the mix - a disappointing weekend for officials all in all. Ideally you would like to see ex-players become refs as they understand the game better. Though for many reasons I can't ever see that happening.

Ex players wouldn't make better refs, different ball game pardon the pun. I did both and got to contributary league standard which took about 6 years, to be a top ref you need to start in your teens and then you still might not make it. Saying players would make better refs is like saying an armed robber would make a better policeman, i don't think so.

Ex-pros would have a better idea of a player's intention in a whole host of occasions. Instances of diving, handballs and elbowing are such matters better judged by people who have actually played the game at a high level. Obviously your own experience isn't a rule and doesn't cover everybody out there.

Like I said before though I doubt that many ex-pros would be interested anyway.

Ex-pros would have a better idea of a player's intention in a whole host of occasions. Instances of diving, handballs and elbowing are such matters better judged by people who have actually played the game at a high level. Obviously your own experience isn't a rule and doesn't cover everybody out there.

Like I said before though I doubt that many ex-pros would be interested anyway.

They just wouldn't have time to reach the required standard. Refereeing is a lot harder than it looks, total commitment for not much money for many years, only a small percentage make it to the top it just cannot happen.

Ok. So what is the way forward, how can the standards of refereeing be raised at the top level, anybody got any suggestions?

The refs that we see in the prem may not have been the best refs that were coming through at the time , they just showed more commitment. i.e Attended all the seminars, didn't cry off too many times etc. I think reffing should be a chosen career, like the forces where you join up and then get eliminated if you fail at certain levels, then in the end the refs with most ability should come to the top. I'm afraid human error will always be a factor as it is in every walk of life, so we will never get a perfect specimen. We must accept that mistakes are made, and not look to blame someone all the time. Unfortunately, there could be some outside influence, just as there was in the cricket last year, but that's a different ball game. Only my opinion, no outside influence whatsoever.

Fair comment but aren't the the top referees basically pro refs anyway nowadays?

They are pro's now but as far as I know only become so when they are on the elite list, about £80,000 a year I think. I think they should start as apprentice pros and work their way up. I have been out the system for a few years so may not be up to speed.

With so many players from around the world playing in this country, many find it difficult to understand our language , would they know what was or what is not appropriate?

Sour grapes and recent history has surely played a part in Chelsea attempting to get their own back against authority - they don't like it up um.

If players adhered to the laws of the game, referees wouldn't need to discipline the players for their actions.

This season I have seen one FA Cup game and eight in the Conference South, there has not been a shred of racism/inappropriate words, perhaps English football would be better if all the foreigners sod off back to where they came, their precence does nothing to improve our national team.

I must admit I am not a fan of Cattenberg and I must admit he did not put in the best of performances. How he did not red card Torres was astonishing and yes he was wrong in booking Torres for diving although from where he was directly behind the play it looked like a dive, but why did he not consult his linesman.

When I went into this thread I thought it was going to be about the charge against Clattenberg of using 'inappropriate language'. There is not a mention in any of the postings. Can I just move the subject on by saying, 'is this just a way for Chelsea to get back at the FA for the suspension of John Terry. I cant for the life of me think that any referee would use this type of language against any player.' If so any respect I had of Chelsea has gone straight down the sewer.

What about Drogbas off side goal at OT a couple of seasons ago and you won the league by a point?

Cahills blatent assault on Evans just after you scored your first goal??

We can go through any game and pick holes in a refs performance, so what if he swore at mata, ALL footballers swear at the ref.

I dont agree with racially abusing players.

It was an entertaining game no matter what the score was, hopefully tonights will be of a similar standard.

M.U

M.U.F.

M.U.F.C

O.K !!!!

As an ex ref myself I would be very surprised if the ref was abusive, one of the first things you are taught is to be polite at all times. I think Chelsea may be already regretting what they have done, just a knee jerk reaction created by the refs dreadful performance on Sunday. This racist thing has got way out of hand and it is time to draw a line under it.