Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread and Latest Table

Thanks to Josh and Crystal for excellent points. Some of those "physical" players have been the subject of approaches from the very clubs whose members take the greatest pleasure in moaning about getting a hard game. Two are also among the most skilled regular Combo midfielders of the past decade. The club loyalty of those players in a mercenary world is another of their praiseworthy qualities..

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theolderigetthebetteriwas. judging by your last post "St Thugs" I feel you have got more of an issue than just this game.

The person who posted that they are glad they did,nt take their son must wrap him in cotton wool and lock him indoors.Life is full of incidents that are probably far worse than this ie a car crash,a fire,somebody colapsing in the street to name but a few.

while I don,t condone such an incident I have no wish to highlight it either!

Bit of a contradiction there topcat! your post actually was about the incident?

The worst classroom discipline I ever witnessed belonged to a teacher who gave 14 detentions in a 35 minute class.....there are parallels.

Were you one of the 14 isaac? LOL.

Does anybody really think that the issueing of yellow cards would have prevented the brawl - of course not.

If there is history between two clubs and an undercurrent of animosity, it will prevail. It will never change, when you go to places the like of St Just, and others, village mentality will show itself. One for all and all for one. The further out into the sticks you go the worse it becomes. St Just, Pendeen, there is nothing to do in these places so they vent their frustrations on the football pitch.

No referee could prevent that brawl, stop blaming the poor sod. Have a go at reffing or run the line, then you will see the gobshite that is the average football supporter. Always remember, different angle of view - different perspective.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S even in the back of beyond (Pendeen & St Just) driving instructors have made there way down, they built roads, put on public transport (only occassionally horse and carriage!!!) But we still do not get channel 5 (Go figure!!)

They may have made there way down there, but did they get out??? Built roads - to where ???? Public transport ??? Channel 5 - when did they put the electric in ????

I actually put the two villages merely as an example, not directly aimed at your club, but I take your point.

Well said. There are no hard feelings between St Just and St Ives on the pitch, just hard tackles. Part of the good fortune of St Just is that it retains some community, unlike so much of the anglicised Cornwall that has become a touristic self-parody or an empty slew of holiday homes. Against the tedious spread of global homogeneity, St Just is a place that still carries pride in its name and identity. The Tinners are an important part of that. Be assured that while I am alive,as long as there are 11 people who want to wear the green shirt, win or lose,there will be a club. :c::drink:

Thanks to "older" for encouraging me to continue running the line.

Ah!!! the principality of St Thugs, or the fiefdom of isaac the omnipresent, ruled over with iron witt and policed by his cohors the tinners. Their main aim to prevent intigration by the anglo saxons which surround this miniscule hamlet. Any infiltration is dealt with ruthlessly with over the top tackles from the cohors and witterings from isaac the omnipresent.

Fortnightly games involving the cohors are the highlight of isaacs week allowing him to stand astride his white line, banner in hand giving the thumbs up or down to the fate of the unfortunates.

The xtian iconographic halo that follows isaac is used to good effect when blinding referees to some of the more dubious banner waving encountered during many of these encounters.

Any wayward soul who happens to fall foul of isaac's own homogeneity is put to a painful end with the excruciating death by a thousand witterings. No no no I must stop, I posted I would not do this, sorry isaac.

Some of these comments make me laugh, everyone just wants an excuse to abuse st just! Don't forget there were two teams on the pitch, and yes a brawl is unacceptable, but just because st just are a physical team, people don't need to start making them out to be hooligans!! Steve curnow has done a cracking job getting them to where they are, consistently finishing in the top 4 or so places in the league! Good luck to them! :)

Some of these comments make me laugh, everyone just wants an excuse to abuse st just! Don't forget there were two teams on the pitch, and yes a brawl is unacceptable, but just because st just are a physical team, people don't need to start making them out to be hooligans!! Steve curnow has done a cracking job getting them to where they are, consistently finishing in the top 4 or so places in the league! Good luck to them! :)

AWWW! bless em.

I actually don't mind St just at all, always enjoyed playing there, kicking a few of isaacs army and generaly having a bit of rough and tumble. I like watching them as well, remember ITS ONLY A PUPPET!!!!!!! but they are hooligans of sorts, and yes Steve's a nice fella. Then there's isaac Mmmmm!

I remember visiting Lafrowda Park in an u'14s cup match, an oversized ginger kid kicked me around a funny pitch that sloped in different directions with black mud, with an interesting looking stand (which had a roof in those days) and a fragrant changing room. Ten years on and not a lot had changed with the exception that the roof had blown away. And it was always dark.

I've seen lads come away with broken ribs and more than their fair share of bumps and bruises, perhaps a disproportionate amount on reflection. I even recall my brother being headbutted and the guy that claimed not to know anything about it had my brother's teeth in his forehead...! Yet invariably three points followed after some incredible battles.

And that is the beauty of it. Building yourself up for a physical game. Focusing on your football whilst your opposition pushes the boundaries to unsettle you. Trying to beat capable opposition whilst out of your comfort zone in the darkest depths of Cornwall. Testing yourself as an individual and as a team. Having to score without playing the ball forward because practically everything is offside! Immense satisfaction can arise from such circumstances and we still talk about memorable wins over St. Just as they have proven so hard to beat at home over the years. At the time you go there with a sense of trepidation but I'm sure many a Combo player would agree that a win at Lafrowda is usually as satisfying as they come!

Turn left at the flying blue door.

Well said Mr Rabone! A victory at St Just is easily the most satisfying of the season! I absolutely loved playing there! Even though once after a perfectly timed challenge I ended up in the stand and took a hefty beating from the locals! Players like Bird all the Curnows Steadman they all played with passion and yes sometimes it can get too much! However no one can disagree they don't enjoy coming away from St Just with a point or 3! Because you know you would have earned them ! Football is all about opinions that's why we all love it so much! In my opinion St just away was always my favourite game of the season and if by some miracle my knee recovers and I can play again I won't feel a slightly bit nervous trying out a few challenges down there as I know those boys can take it!

Terrific writing from Michael and Lee. Good to know that the passion of St Just provides such motivation and enthusiasm for visiting exponents of the beautiful game. Sorry about your experience in the stand, I've told and told Mother not to do that to our nice visitors but she has these moods. It was too bad poor Knuckles Nicholls got attacked by your brother's teeth like that as well.

Dunno about the "inevitable" Newquay victories, however. I was having a look at the stats......looks like the gap between St Just's home and away records , averaged out over the last 20 or 30 years, is higher than that for any Combo club.

Looking forward to similar entertainment in future. :) :c:

Rod see you there chap.mhope Gloucester is treating you well. The lads had a good win the other night versus ludgvan. It was 2 nil and all down to one person. Darren stead man, even though he's nearly as old as mother he is still on fire even at this low level. Great to watch and even better to get 3 points and rise up for the first win of the season eh