Cornwall Football Forum

County Youth players 2007 / 08

The County Youth Management are on the look out for players for the forthcoming season, to represent Cornwall at Under 18 level.

Players must have achieved the age of 15 by 31st August 2007 and be under the age of 18 by 31st August 2007.

They must also be featuring regulary for their clubs in the South West Peninsula League, the East Cornwall Premier League and the Cornwall Combination League.

We have players available from last season who played in the County team as well as attended the area trials and these players will be invited along again. However anyone playing senior football can come along to the east and west trials which are in the process of being arranged. So lets have some recommendations, name and club, please. Leave your replies on this site.

Thanks. :c:

all players below are within your age requirments and making regular apperences for millbrook first team and play regulary for the youth team.

Lewis Young striker

Leigh Molloy left midfield

Tom Cross striker

Henry Speare rigt back

Lee Edwards cent mid

Matt Bettison cen half

Mike cornew right mid

James fullers striker

Toby Roach cen mid

Adam Casey left back

Gareth Mitchel GK

Ryan Hammond cen half

There is an excellent current bunch of youngsters at Newquay. I'm not too sure if all of them fit the age range category but it would definitely be worth having a look at the following:

Lee Rickard, Liam Dingle, Adam Bromley, Patrick Rushton, Sam Hunter, Luke Rigby and Oliver Dart

David Bray quotes:

Players must have achieved the age of 15 by 31st August 2007 and be under the age of 18 by 31st August 2007.

They must also be featuring regulary for their clubs in the South West Peninsula League, the East Cornwall Premier League and the Cornwall Combination League.

How is this when you can't play in that Senior league standard of football until your 16 ??????

I reply to 'WWHURU' regarding 'age brackets'.

To play in an Under 18 age bracket competition [ which the County Youth teams come under]

the player must have achieved the age of 15 by midnight on 31st August of the playing season.

You are confusing this rule with the ruleing regarding 'open aged' football whereby a player must have achieved the age of 16 before he participate.

These rules are laid down by the FA to all county associations to abide by.

In answer to your question Jojo, we are only looking at players who are playing in the senior leagues because that is the minimum standard that is required for players to be playing at to compete at county youth level.

If a player is playing at junior level but is capable of playing at a higher level then I would ask why he isn't doing so.

I accept that he may have family connections etc but you have to be really hungry at this level to achieve the very best because you'll be playing against the very best.

Many of the players we play against have recently been released by professional clubs and still have a huge desire to make it at professional level and see this as a great way to "showcase" themselves. I know from 4 years experience as manager and years as a county player that you have to be playing your best football week in week out to compete.

Hope that answers your question.

If you contact Illogan AFC I know we have a couple of outstanding youngsters unfortunately im not exactly sure of all their ages but I definately know at least 2 playing in the 1st that are in the age range and played a big part in us winning the combo league last year. I have a feeling they played county youth last year??

Josh Kemp, Musa Sabu and Stuart Peters are just 3 of them.

If you send details to the club about the trials then we can pass the details onto the players eligible.

:yahoo: FALMOUTH ALBION . HAVE A EXCELLENT SQUAD OF UNDER 18 s. PLAYING IN THE DIV (1) OF

THE FALMOUTH/HELSTON FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

ANDREW HEARD

MATT BEVANS

BEN OLIVER

JOE BENNY

LEE PAIGE

BEN LENDERYOU

SOME ONE FROM THE COUNTY YOUTH MANAGEMENT SHOULD COME AND HAVE A LOOK..(GOOD MOVE). :thumbsup::thumbsup: :c:

Guest alex bradley

:yahoo: FALMOUTH ALBION . HAVE A EXCELLENT SQUAD OF UNDER 18 s. PLAYING IN THE DIV (1) OF

THE FALMOUTH/HELSTON FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

ANDREW HEARD

MATT BEVANS

BEN OLIVER

JOE BENNY

LEE PAIGE

BEN LENDERYOU

SOME ONE FROM THE COUNTY YOUTH MANAGEMENT SHOULD COME AND HAVE A LOOK..(GOOD MOVE). :thumbsup::thumbsup::c:

oh dear...

"They must also be featuring regulary for their clubs in the South West Peninsula League, the East Cornwall Premier League and the Cornwall Combination League."

David I understand the bit about the age bracket for youth football, but what I am saying is how can they be playing for their clubs regularly in the CSWPL, ECPL,JCCL if they are under aged to play "open football"

ie: William Wilberforce (made up) turns 15 on 27th August he is then eligible to play for the county youth side but until he is 16 at his next birthday he will not be playing regularly in those leagues.

We also have a few good young players at Goonhavern which could be worth a look at,

Guest Peppermint

In Jimbo's list of players he has included Sam Hunter and Sam did feature in the successful County Youth Squad last season and I am sure he will again as he is still in the right age bracket.

I agree with Jimbo that the others mentioned are well worth a look.

Billy,

I refer you to my last posting where I said they have to be playing senior football in order to keep up their standards.

Last season I came to watch a work colleague play for Falmouth Albion and with the greatest respect to all there and who play in that division, county standard is well above it at it's highest level.

Good luck picking your team Tommy, looks like you have a fair few highly rated players going to be attending your trials. Looks like you already have enough players for 3 teams!! There will be many players left dissapointed and many will put the boot in with the selections, as lee and I get it every year as well with our team. But good luck to you this season, lets hope it is a successful one across the age groups!!

Thanks Grant,

It's always a problem to pick the best squad whether you are inundated with players or really short on quality.

I've been keeping across the upcoming county squads for the last few years now and many of the names mentioned in previous postings I already know through having coached them earlier in their lives or in the case of the Newquay players mentioned, they play for my college team.

There was a dirth in talent from the west of Cornwall last year with not enough players at the trial in Helston for it to go ahead, I think things will be different this year and I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck to you as well mate and we'll catch up during school time no doubt.

Guest Peppermint

Just to wish Tommy and whoever is selected to represent the County Youth the best of luck for the coming season. Hopefully the boys can go one better than last season. There is certainly a good number of talented young footballers out there.

Guest what you see is what you get&#33

Good luck this year Tommy im sure you will do fine.

Also a good luck to all players attending the trials, its a great achievement serving your county and also a great laugh (AWAY GAMES!!!)

In answer to your question Jojo, we are only looking at players who are playing in the senior leagues because that is the minimum standard that is required for players to be playing at to compete at county youth level.

If a player is playing at junior level but is capable of playing at a higher level then I would ask why he isn't doing so.

I accept that he may have family connections etc but you have to be really hungry at this level to achieve the very best because you'll be playing against the very best.

Many of the players we play against have recently been released by professional clubs and still have a huge desire to make it at professional level and see this as a great way to "showcase" themselves. I know from 4 years experience as manager and years as a county player that you have to be playing your best football week in week out to compete.

Hope that answers your question.

The above quote by Mr Matthew in regards to those players who:

"If a player is playing at junior level but is capable of playing at a higher level then I would ask why he isn't doing so."

The sentance above in my view is out of order and belittling the Junior game.

Just because a player does not play for a senior team does not mean he has not got the talent to grace a County football field. Some players play at Junior clubs because this is the closest club to them and a senior club maybe hard to get too. Younger players therefore would have to rely on parents to ferry them to training and match days, if they are unable to do so then a talented football player may never be spotted all because of the notion that unless you play in senior football your not a talented player.

Also players of 15, 16.17 and 18 are still developing not only in terms of football but in physical terms. With this in mind isn't it acceptable that players who are developing should find grounding within the lower levels of football therefore being able understand the physical and at times mental strains within mens football.

The problem with the scouting process in this County is only in evident in the Senior Level of the game, it seems that those below this level are treated with contempt becasue they are not good enough or they are only a Junior Side, what makes me laugh is if it was not for the huge number of Junior Clubs I doubt that the CCFA could operate, due to the lack of cash that would be entering their coffers.

Surely the County should have some form of Scouting process or County side which could accommodate those players who play for Junior Clubs, therefore, ensuring that the County are able to widen their net and just maybe uncover a diamond in the rough.

Also I have to agree with Whuru in regards to those players who are 15 years of age, due to the new rule they can not play in mens football until they have reached 16 years with this in mind it is impossible for them to attend County Trails because no senior club can play them.

I was fortuante to play football in my teenage years in a County which gave chances to all even if they were classed as "Junior Players", due to this kind of forethought several players that played within the club I reprsented, went on to professional football even though they played in the so called Junior Leagues.

Thanks for your comments.

I accept that there could be players in junior teams that could play at a higher level and I do not wish to belittle those teams. However, I can't think how any player couldn't play for a club at senior level if he wants to, there will be a club somewhere within a few miles that he can play for. I actually know a little bit about Long Term Player Development as I'm a qualified coach who has attended the FA's Youth Coaches Course which is all about LAPD and one of the reasons why I am unlikely to play 15 year old players is for the very reason that they are unlikely to be fully ready at that stage.

Secondly the ruling that you refer to is one laid down by the FA

Thirdly, perhaps you should ask some of the players who have played at this level recently whether they think they would have coped well with the standard had they not been playing senior football.

Thanks for taking the time to air your views.

About ten or so years ago now i left the best club in the mining league at the time ( carharrack ) to join Illogan RBL combination side . who at the time had three players involved in the county youth set up . but there was at least two youngsters at carharrack who where better than anything Illogan had . those lads where happy to play for one of the best junior sides rather than a average combination side . but maybe both could of played for cornwall at the time if they had the chance to go to a trial .

Sammo,

All I'd say in defence of my position and that of my predesessors who took exactly the same view is that if you ask some of the players who have played at county youth level they'll tell you you need to be at your very best when you play because it's played at a faster pace than SW League let alone Combo or ECPL.