Cornwall Football Forum

"Luke McCormick to join Swindon Town after release from prison"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18164015

What do you make of this? There will be a lot of hate towards Luke - however, it's a big step from Swindon which could prove a masterstroke. If his head is in the right place and someone is ready to take a chance on him, why shouldn't he be allowed to carry on his career?

Nevertheless, serving three and a half years for killing two children in a crash whilst drunk still seems an outrageously short term to me.

Guest BenTheYeti

...and then being able to take up a professional football career again where he'll be in the public spotlight, and to some kid, he'll be a hero if he does something like save a penalty or sign an autograph etc.. sorry but it's just wrong.. if he murdered two children he'd be in a maximum security prison for at least 35 years.. anyway, this is a football forum and not a place to really discuss the diminishing sentences of the law breakers in this country!

Luke mccormick should never be allowed to play football again ,that family must be devastated to learn he is being released .The justice system is a disgrace if he had killed any of my kids and learnt he would be out walking the streets i would wont revenge ,he can continue with his life those 2 young boys he killed and there father crippled what life has the father got now i dread to think how he must be thinking hearing of McCormicks release.Swindon should be ashamed of themselves to give this man a trial.

Luke mccormick should never be allowed to play football again ,that family must be devastated to learn he is being released .The justice system is a disgrace if he had killed any of my kids and learnt he would be out walking the streets i would wont revenge ,he can continue with his life those 2 young boys he killed and there father crippled what life has the father got now i dread to think how he must be thinking hearing of McCormicks release.Swindon should be ashamed of themselves to give this man a trial.

If its for footballing reasons whats to be ashamed for? Should Stoke be ashamed of signing Pennant? Should Newcastle be ashamed of signing Barton? Should Birmingham be ashamed of signing King? The list goes on. Clearly justice has not be done, but that's society.

this makes me sick to the core!!

drink driving

kills two children

serves 3.5 years of a sentence twice that length,

also he has been training on day release with swindon for quite a while already

comes out to a professional career again.

what has he learned about serving that paltry sentence!

the justice system is disgraceful in this country!

I think there are two separate points and arguments here. One being his job, which is professional football. If he was a builder by trade, then he would be allowed to get on with that after serving time, wouldn't he. The other, how his sentence was clearly inadequate compared to the crime. What he did can never be repaired and the thoughts must always be towards the devastated family.

I don't think you can talk about the two in the same argument though. Difficult topic that will spark a difference in opinions and controversy.

Luke is one of the nicest persons you could ever meet. He made a terrible mistake and has paid for it. Nothing can take away the pain from the family but life must go on. He will always have that on his conscience. If he succeeds in carrying on with his trade he will be subject to abuse wherever he plays. Knowing Luke not a day will go by when he doesn't remember what he has done. If he was a builder or electrician nobody would know and quite frankly nobody would care. Unfortunately the press have got hold of it and they want their pound of flesh.

Guest BenTheYeti

Are you suggesting then that 3 and half years in enough time for a double manslaughter whilst driving at 95mph whilst heavily under the influence of alcohol?

Causing death while driving under the influence of alcohol should be treated as murder and carry a mandatory 50 year sentence, until the death penalty is reintroduced. This conversation would then not be necessary.It's the law that is wrong. Another option would be to let the victim's next of kin decide on the outcome, if they want to forgive then that's their choice if they want the death penalty then that's their choice too. Luke has served his sentence according to the law so now has the same rights as everyone else, no argument.

Manslaughter is deliberate killing of a person, Murder must be pre meditated. So he can't be done for any of that. He was arrested on causing death by dangerous driving whilst under the influence of alcohol. He pleaded guilty and has shown good behaviour hense why hes been aloud parol at the 1st stage what is half his sentance (7years, 4 months) so hes done 3 years 8 months in prison and not done nothing bad and behaved so its not like he's a serial killer it was just one unfortunate incident. If they went dow that road a minute or earlier or he went there a minute later this would of never happened and we wouldn't see all this bitching.

I remember when I watched argyle whilst he was playing for them and as a young kid he always satyed to do autographs even when he was going to be late and get a fine he did them walking to the changing rooms. Shame not all footballers could do that. So he loved kids and would always stick around for a photo/autograph. I still have a shirt he signed hung up in my wardrobe.

Just remember he has probably NEVER seen HIS child as his girlfriend was pregnant when he went into jail.

Wish him all the best and hope he hasn't lost too much and hopefully won't get too much abusive chants from fans.

If this wasn't a pro footballer it would of took a few days to get to the press but as it was a pro footballers it took a few minutes and would never of been such a big deal, they wouldn't of been named.

Gally

" An unfortunate incident " " if it wasn't a footballer it would never have been such a big deal "

Christ mate you've got a tenuous grip on the idea of crime and justice

By getting into that vehicle whilst off his face he was always likely to be involved in an accident that carried horrendous consequences

If you'd heard like I did the interview on radio 2 with the man who was the first person on the scene imediately after the accident you might have a different viewpoint.

He's got the rest of his life to spend with his child. Something his stupidity and selfishness deprived two other people

The rest of the postings on this subject have been sensible and carefully thought through

Take your rose tinted glasses off son and have a word with yourself

PS - Get rid of the shirt - Never likely to be worth much

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-17703280

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-18203674

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-17488587

All 3 of these is death by dangerous driving one didnt even get a quater of McCormick's sentance. Another is by a TV stars son. I have heard nothingn about either of these as they've been covered so little. So I think that proves its not a big deal when its not somebody in the public's view.

I'm guessing you didn't see the documentery on this a couple years ago. It was all based on him and he wanted it to be as he tought it would make other people more aware and it shows him in tears at the police station when he was told teh kids died.

Please tell me how my post wasn't thought through? As I believe it is relevent and well thought through and makes clear points.

Considering he was one of my footballing idols I think I'll kep it as its worth a lot to me (sentimetal value)

PS I dont wear glasses and people may think I'm crazy if I talk to myself......

Gally

Unless I'm mistaken, none of these dreadful incidents occurred when the driver was drunk.Doesn't make it any less wrong but it would explain why the custodial sentences were shorter.

As for the publicity,I'm afraid that comes with the territory of professional football.Large salaries are the upside,high profile the downside.

I think what angered me about your post - apart from calling the comments that had gone before " bitching " - was that you appeared rather star struck and used the examples of signing autographs and giving away signed shirts ( which costs him nothing incidentally ) as a mitigation for the crime he committed.

Your crass comment that Mckormick hadn't yet seen his son was perhaps indicative of your age. I think you'll feel differently when you've kids of your own.

In all the cases that you provide links to people died son. Because your hero wasn't involved that doesn't make it " not a big deal ". Think before you post such trivialising descriptions

I didn't see the documentary, and I'm sure that basically Luke McKormick is a nice man and will have to carry around for the rest of his life the consequences of his actions,but hero of yours or not please don't come on here trying to defend the indefensible.

I don't want an argument with you Gally, and I'm sure you mean well. Just re read everything that you write a few times before you post eh ?

Not a christian thought among you. As I said, if it was a plumber or builder nobody would know or even want to know. Because its a footballer its front page news. If you have a problem with the sentence then change the law.

This poor excuse of a man has committed an irreprievable crime, undoubtably due to a mistake.

Why have we released him from prison?! Probably for the space.

Its disgusting that he has been released, and whoever has sanctioned that should be ashamed of themselves - its probably someone who hasnt got a family of their own.

I know for a fact that a rather large sponsor of the club is by no means going to continue funding the club next year over this matter.

• 1 month later...

If a plumber or carpenter done this should they never go back to work there trade again,yes he's done wrong I fully agree there but I'm sure he has learnt his lesson and should do stuff in the future to spread the word on drink driving,he's a real nice guy and I wish him well.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if any of those posting agressively or those who will barrack Luke McCormick have ever driven under the influence of alcohol themselves. If so, there but for the grace of God they go. The loss of children is irremediable and the pain unmeasurable, for Luke as well as for the connections of the dead. An advanced society needs to move beyond a blind law of human vengeance based on primitive emotions which will prolong and spread pain. He has served his sentence. Let him get on with a life in which he can at least try to do as much good as possible, if not as consolation, at least as atonement. He deserves th support of the whole of football.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if any of those posting agressively or those who will barrack Luke McCormick have ever driven under the influence of alcohol themselves. If so, there but for the grace of God they go. The loss of children is irremediable and the pain unmeasurable, for Luke as well as for the connections of the dead. An advanced society needs to move beyond a blind law of human vengeance based on primitive emotions which will prolong and spread pain. He has served his sentence. Let him get on with a life in which he can at least try to do as much good as possible, if not as consolation, at least as atonement. He deserves th support of the whole of football.

Fair post isaac - until the last sentence! Support will not be forthcoming from many quarters I'm afraid. The tribalism that encompasses football will not allow it. Support will only come from a lack of barracking, is that going to happen - no. Does he deserve support, the courts out on that.

As long as that is a football decision based on his present ability, it is Swindon's prerogative to release him. But the court is not "out" on his actions outside football. He has served his sentence. I would be delighted to see him join my local Conference club, Forest Green. Excellent signing, potentially. .

The court I was refering to is the court of public opinion as you well know, and it is definately out - and probably always will be.

Me, a sentence served is the end of the matter, unless it affected me, and mine.

"Public opinion"......again I refer you, with my appoval, to WB Yeats:

"What cared Duke Ercole, that bid

The mummers to the market place

What th'onion-sellers thought or did ?

So that his Plautus set the pace

For the Italian comedies." :)

"Public opinion"......again I refer you, with my appoval, to WB Yeats:

"What cared Duke Ercole, that bid

The mummers to the market place

What th'onion-sellers thought or did ?

So that his Plautus set the pace

For the Italian comedies." :)

He's been gone a long time, along with the onion sellers, a few mummers survive, but - the market place will still judge him. That will include playwrights as well, plenty of them around.