Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint manager

Real slim. I think Ron Jeremy just caught a bite! Don't know who he is but think he probably knows the correct names and is on a wind up!

For what it's worth(and to be fair it's not much) I'll put a point of view across as to why they may decide to leave liskeard for torpoint! I agree both are big clubs arguably liskeard are the bigger of the 2 but in terms of pitch,budgets(obviously all rumour i have no knowledge of figures), facilities, etc there's not much between them but in terms of a CLUB there's a huge difference!

I have a lot of time for liskeard AFC and the commitee(many of which I've known since I was a kid watching games when they where in the western league) but from what I see and hear as a club they run as 2 seperate teams with no relationship at all between 1st and 2 nd team. And I say that having heard it from both 1st and 2nd team players!I say this with respect to both teams and will say aswell that liskeard 2nds won the title this year being by far the best side in the league.

However from what I've seen at torpoint it's a hugely different story u have 2 if not 3 teams working together as a club to progress! with players happy to rotate between all 3 teams for the good of the club!!(feel free to correct me if I have that wrong?!)

In the current climate of ever decreasing budgets(and again for what it's worth i believe lesser budgets are a good thing!) surely this is the model to aspire to??

Would that not serve as a more appealing option for the current impressive liskeard management duo? Whatever the budget you have to work with having 2nd and even 3rd team working with u to progress the club as a whole would surely be a more appealing prospect?!!

I'm not looking to provoke or start an argument just trying to answer the question that was asked and add my opinion as to why torpoint maybe the more attractive job to be in at this moment in time.

Be interested to hear others view points??!

Swiggsy. Knowing local football as u undoubtedly do. Surely u realise if Eddie & Curtis were 2 go torpoint they would look @ taking the majority of the liskeard team. Every clubs looks 4 success & they'll use players they trust. Also with players like Shane jewell, demo & Danny zalick they have some of the better players in the league!!

Wow that was a drunken rant, ha note to self don't post when drunk!

Real slim your probably right think I was just attempting to offer a potential answer to the reason of why they may be looking for a change.

To be honest think alot of mangers out there would be happy to be at either club.

This topic reminds me so much of a Millbrook thread a few seasons back.

I think its time Richard Chown ask for a few clarifications, PASOTI 2005 also springs to mind when a certain individual was outed !

What should Richard clarify?

PM sent.

Go on tell everyone, don't be shy.......... lol

With all due respect lads hasn't it taken liskeard 2nd team 2 attempts to gain promotion out of ecl1 ? There is a slight step in standard to peninsula prem.

My thoughts exactly. The 2nd team have some exceptional East Cornwall players and undoubtedly 3 or 4 that could make the step up but choose to play with their mates week in week out. But the group as a whole have taken 2 seasons to progress from a league that they probably should never have been in in the first place. So don't see them all making the massive jump up from East Cornwall 1 to Peninsula Prem in one foul swoop.

The likes of Lyndsay and Skews and Browner have played 1st team and could again but don't think Liskeard has enough to make it a complete local affair for the 1st team.

And of course they are not alone. There is no club in the Peninsula Prem that can say "our whole 1st team squad of 15 or 16 live in the town or village that they represent". Sign of the times, Blazey have Plymouth players, Newquay have Plymouth players, Bodmin have Plymouth players, Tavi have Plymouth players. . . . . so this "lets go local nonsense just doesn't work" - in my opinion !!!

The answer is a good balance between locals to bring in the local support and some outsiders that the club know and whom know the club.

Don't think MQ will do it otherwise 2nd team break up and don't continue the good work that they have done next season in East Cornwall Prem where surely they'll put together a challenge against the likes of Torpoint, Parkway, Launceston next season!!? I could be wrong though.

Cheers.

Blakey

blakey your too kind!! a lot f our side has played first team, and a few seasons ago were at dobwalls doing well in the div1, but agreed it is a huge step to go into the perm, not just playing it, but the commitment and time involved. a good mix i feel would be good for the club as a whole, but i guess time will tell!

If that is the case , and liskeard do go local. What does that mean, for the rest of the liskeard team which is a very good outfit. Previous results shown they can beat anyone on there day. Would they really want to loose all the players and a top 7 side just for a local team ?.

If that is the case , and liskeard do go local. What does that mean, for the rest of the liskeard team which is a very good outfit. Previous results shown they can beat anyone on there day. Would they really want to loose all the players and a top 7 side just for a local team ?.

I don't think the commitee are bothered whether they finish 7th or 17th. From what I hear Edwards and Curtis left because the commitee would not support them in taking the team forwards and challenging for a higher position in the league

On the side of local talent Camelford have gone from lower reaches of East Cornwall League to 9th in The SWPL Premier all with reasonably local players.Most of the present squad have been together for 5 to 6 years and the average age now is no more than 22ish so if they stick together could be pretty formidable in years to come. I think the secret has been a long term manager in Reg and a group of lads who like playing in the same team as well as having a pint and a laugh together. Of course they have some very talented footballers that i feel don't get the recognition they deserve. Floodlights go up in June so it's all looking good. If Camelford can do it i'm sure other clubs can too. It does cost money but not a fortune at this level.Don't spend what you haven't got, wisest words on the forum.

On the side of local talent Camelford have gone from lower reaches of East Cornwall League to 9th in The SWPL Premier all with reasonably local players.Most of the present squad have been together for 5 to 6 years and the average age now is no more than 22ish so if they stick together could be pretty formidable in years to come. I think the secret has been a long term manager in Reg and a group of lads who like playing in the same team as well as having a pint and a laugh together. Of course they have some very talented footballers that i feel don't get the recognition they deserve. Floodlights go up in June so it's all looking good. If Camelford can do it i'm sure other clubs can too. It does cost money but not a fortune at this level.Don't spend what you haven't got, wisest words on the forum.

Hoppit thank you, you have in Reg a great bloke and manager who I have known for many years from playing, reffin and biz, HE IS CORNISH AND BLOODY TIGHT but he will do anything for the team if they can afford it. others please follow and you will survive !

what is classed at local ?. for the likes of torpoint, saltsh, and even ivybridge and liskeard, that is only say about 15 miles from plymouth?, im sure players come from the same distances to play for camelford ?

Yes you are right Crusty, some Camelford players do come from similar distances, but they have also played for the club for several years and support the off field events through the year, are known around the town, so are honourary locals if you like. North Cornwall is sparsely populated, so you would never get a team of real locals ie. 5 mile radius to compete at SWPL level. Some players up your way seem to be continually moving from one club to the next in the same season, which must make it difficult for any club to win things. Recent league winners Buckland and Bodmin have had reasonably settled sqauds over the last few years and i think this is just as important as being local. Your neck of the woods is densely populated with a lot more teams, so i guess it's a different senario to down here. I think players who become familiar with one club is as good as being local, within budget of course. Play from the heart if you like which is what Camelford do, not the most talented team by any stretch but committed to the cause, both on and off the field. Just my opinion, other opinions are available.

Having played against Camelford; I would like to say what a superb football club you have, brilliant ground superb set up, with players who play for free and are 100per cent committed to the club,

Its good to see at this level its not all about the money

Well done camelford

i

I don't think the commitee are bothered whether they finish 7th or 17th. From what I hear Edwards and Curtis left because the commitee would not support them in taking the team forwards and challenging for a higher position in the league

Really should be careful listening to gossip, it was nothing to do with not supporting them.