Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Senior Cup Final and Cornwall Junior Cup Final 9th April

It's also a shame that Truro set the precedence of playing on Easter Monday, now take a look in the Indy fixtures and most leagues have jumped on the band wagon. A shame that the most prestigious cups in the county are now taking a back seat to local league fixtures

Bad day for cornish football!!!

Tweet received : Cornwall FA @cornwallfa

There has been a pitch inspection @NewquayAFC. Westinsure#Cornwall Senior (4.30pm) & Junior Cup (2pm) Finals ON today.#cornishfootball

Great news to hear that both finals are taking place today.

Why should we let the weather spoil the day!

Lets face it, the earlier rounds of the cup competitions took place in winter and no doubt played in rain on muddy pitches.

The cup finals are usually played on a rock hard, dry pitch, which is very different to previous rounds and can be a total lottery.

The weather is forecast to get a lot worse, the wind and rain will ruin the games. I hope that supporters spend a fortune at Newquay AFC today, the CCFA Groundsmen of the Year will have some very expensive work to do to repair the inevitable damage the pitch will suffer.

Combo game tomorrow, highly doubtful. Months of work to repair the pitch, you can count on it !

I blame Saltash for the weather :) Remember their last Easter Monday appearance at St Blazey - I recall it rained for almost the whole of the two games that time!!!

But realistically, with the weather so far this morning plus the forecast of worse to come, you have to question the sense of still playing both today - any neutral will probably decide not to bother; leading to the atmosphere being dampened(sorry for the pun); the pitch will be damaged to some extent, however good it is; the changing rooms presumably are being shared and will therefore not be so good for the second match teams; and overall it will be a fairly unpleasant experience for everyone instaed of the showpiece it should be.

Should there be alternative arrangements made as a standby that either both or at least of one of the games be rescheduled for a Sunday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6296578

Met Office also issue FLOOD WARNING for South West, did anyone at CCFA check these first ?

I heard that IF the Junior final was to be called off to spare the pitch for the Seniors, it would have been rescheduled for Tues 17th April 7.30pm. Can't see why both could not be played midweek soon-ish.

Anyone who was at the Groundhoppers game Godolphin v Newquay will tell you - game ruined. I also re-call Cup Finals St Blazey v Porthleven at Newquay ruined by similar weather 11 or 12 years ago, pitch was still a wreck for the Replay on the Thurs after.

I blame Saltash for the weather :) Remember their last Easter Monday appearance at St Blazey - I recall it rained for almost the whole of the two games that time!!!

But realistically, with the weather so far this morning plus the forecast of worse to come, you have to question the sense of still playing both today - any neutral will probably decide not to bother; leading to the atmosphere being dampened(sorry for the pun); the pitch will be damaged to some extent, however good it is; the changing rooms presumably are being shared and will therefore not be so good for the second match teams; and overall it will be a fairly unpleasant experience for everyone instaed of the showpiece it should be.

Should there be alternative arrangements made as a standby that either both or at least of one of the games be rescheduled for a Sunday?

!

I know Dave i was there!!!!

I have just spoken to a few from the Well who were going !! I think one game today and some would have gone!! its a real shame!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6296578

Met Office also issue FLOOD WARNING for South West, did anyone at CCFA check these first ?

I heard that IF the Junior final was to be called off to spare the pitch for the Seniors, it would have been rescheduled for Tues 17th April 7.30pm. Can't see why both could not be played midweek soon-ish.

Anyone who was at the Groundhoppers game Godolphin v Newquay will tell you - game ruined. I also re-call Cup Finals St Blazey v Porthleven at Newquay ruined by similar weather 11 or 12 years ago, pitch was still a wreck for the Thurs after.

The pitch was very hard and very rough on tues night surely rain would help pitch not that good for county cups

Tweet received : Cornwall FA ‏ @cornwallfa

There has been a pitch inspection @NewquayAFC. Westinsure#Cornwall Senior (4.30pm) & Junior Cup (2pm) Finals ON today.#cornishfootball

Great news to hear that both finals are taking place today.

Why should we let the weather spoil the day!

Lets face it, the earlier rounds of the cup competitions took place in winter and no doubt played in rain on muddy pitches.

The cup finals are usually played on a rock hard, dry pitch, which is very different to previous rounds and can be a total lottery.

sounds like pastyman would like the pitch 2 cut up possibly giving ashes a chance 2 even the game up allowing their physical approach 2 games 2 take place??

Just to re-confirm, both games have been declared as ON, so grab your wellies, brollies, wetsuits and paddling pools for the half-time mud-wrestling, get to Mount Wise Stadium for an afternoon of lottery football.

Just to re-confirm, both games have been declared as ON, so grab your wellies, brollies, wetsuits and paddling pools for the half-time mud-wrestling, get to Mount Wise Stadium for an afternoon of lottery football.

bit over dramatic!

my guess is that a pitch like newquays would be able to cope with several days rain bearing in mind we haven't had anything significant for quite a few weeks and all the pitches ive seen are bone dry.

the games today may not be pretty and the surface may scratch up a bit but im sure today will pass off smoothly enough.

bit over dramatic!

my guess is that a pitch like newquays would be able to cope with several days rain bearing in mind we haven't had anything significant for quite a few weeks and all the pitches ive seen are bone dry.

the games today may not be pretty and the surface may scratch up a bit but im sure today will pass off smoothly enough.

Pitch held up well dispite the wet conditions, a good roll later in the week and you would'nt know anyone would have been on it.

Pitch held up well dispite the wet conditions, a good roll later in the week and you would'nt know anyone would have been on it.

After the two games staged today, surely it makes the case for all those early postponements to be questioned? No reason now why any game should ever get called off in advance again! :yahoo:

After the two games staged today, surely it makes the case for all those early postponements to be questioned? No reason now why any game should ever get called off in advance again! :yahoo:

So what is your stance Mr Deacon ? You have two differing views on the same day !