Cornwall Football Forum

Rathbone Trophy Semi Final Results - Sunday, Feb 26th 2012

cornishteddyboy

Newquay won the other one 3-2 at Sticker.

Great game with the visitors taking the lead through Morrison, only for the home side through two goals from Mewton (the second a penalty) to fight back and take over.

Bray-Evans levelled for the Peppermints and Lewis Hilton hit a low drive in for what proved to be the winner.

Great win for the Bude boys, such a good bunch of lads who once more don't get a look in for the Cornwall Youth side! Same old I suppose, maybe if we go on and win it like 3 years ago then they may get more of a look in! Anyway cries of "We want our trophy back" were heard!! Bring it home, like 3 years ago COME ON! Could it technically be classed as a successful retain of the trophy?? If we haven't entered the cup since 3 years ago! Haha!

soccerfan - Yes I am aware of at least 3 who went to the trials at Wadebridge, maybe 4/5 in total? I think the club sent them, if the school 6th form sent them then I would be surprised! Budehaven 6th form last year also won one of the County College cups with the majority of players (if not all) being Lower 6th rather than Upper 6th, great achievement! Just in my experiences in the past, many Bude players have been disregarded (going back to even Under 16's Rep Team)! Fair enough if the selectors don't think they are good enough but it seems to me on more than one occasion they are being overlooked! So I'm hoping they go on to win it like 3 years ago, which led to 2 Bude players subsequently getting a Cornwall Youth call up! As I said just my experiences and opinions!! Should be a cracking final, Newquay look a good side!

Billy Hopcroft and Liam Sandercock are two players from Bude who made the Cornwall team recently, so Bude players don't deliberately get overlooked.

At the trials we give feedback to all players who ask for it if they don't get through and we try where we can to monitor the progress of all eligible players through a network of contacts that we use.

It's impossible to keep up to date on everyone but I am awaiting the information regarding a Bude player's date of birth etc at present and if he is available for next season we are considering including him in our next squad.

If you feel that you are now playing well enough to be included or think that we should be taking another look at you why don't you get your club secretary to contact us or PM me directly via the forum rather than bleat about it under a false name.

Finally, congratulations to Bude for reaching the final, I hope you play well and enjoy the experience.

Firstly, I would just like to say that I am a fan and not a player, so all this business about a false name doesn't relate at all! This is a forum for opinions and I'm giving mine.

Thanks for the response, I understand that you have your system of picking players (as previously mentioned) and I'm not angry just curious. In addition, I think you'll find the 2 Bude players mentioned above were in the subsequent squad AFTER we won the Rathbone Trophy with ease 3 years ago. Therefore they seemed to make their name in the cup final, as both played extremely well. The question I was getting at was, would they still have been picked if we didnt win the trophy and the fact that 'important' people were watching the final? Maybe yes, maybe not? Because excluding Billy and Liam, no Bude player has represented the team in the last 5 years and there has been plenty more talent. With the likes of Dan Starkey, Jordan Dunn etc (the year older then Billy and Liam). And now again this year...........another Bude side is in the County Final and no players been picked? Simply curious.

I am very glad to hear you are monitoring a player, I hope you like what you see! Thank you for the good luck message, the final should be a great one and a good day out as supporters taking a coach! And I am expecting to see a very strong Newquay team!

Both Liam and Billy were selected as a result of the trials and nothing to do with any past achievements. Both players were shining examples of what a Cornwall County Youth Footballer should represent and Liam came down with some of your players to Roche for our trial this season.

At the time of the trial we felt that the players played well but not as good as others there. Please accept, as we do, that sometime trials alone are not always the best and only ways to identify talent. However, we cannot be everywhere watching every player and our scouting system has already unearthed players that swam through the mesh that is the trials.

Players do not always adapt well to trials but they are one of the only ways that we can get a group of players together to assess them. Some cannot handle the "pressure" if that's what you want to call it, of a trial. Our answer would be that the competitive element of County matches is even more demanding although any of our players will confirm that as coaches we do not add to their anxiety by heaping pressure on them.

I'm sorry if you and Bude players feel hard done by but a couple of years ago after Bude had made similar statements regarding our selection policy, it materialised that no information had been given to your players regarding the trials.

I hope that the player we are chasing is in the younger end of our age band and that we will be able to include him for the trip to Somerset. I also hope that this explains where we're at regarding selection.

As the Cornwall Team Manager I like to be as transparent as I can for the sake of all the young players coming through. I also understand that what you may see in a player, we may not, and visa versa. Most of the time we also look for players who can play across a number of positions to give us a more fluent system to play in case of changes during a game.

Thank you for the honest reply! Completely understandable in every aspect. I am just fully aware of the young talent that has been produced at Bude in the youth system and like any other supporter of a club, wanting our players to have the best chance at representing Cornwall. I do feel at times that the fact Bude are still in the ECPL and not a peninsula league side does effect the 'reputation' of some players at the club. But I suppose that is natural if your coming up against players from the so called 'bigger' clubs in Cornwall.

If you wanted a quick response on how old the player in question was then I could help you but I'm sure you would like to do it the formal way and through the club. Good luck in the upcoming game at Somerset and now awaiting a date for the Rathbone final which should be a great day out. Any news on venue or date as of yet?

The only other thing I would say in relation to the trials was that some of the boys I spoke to felt they were put into the slightly 'weaker' side at the trials and this effected their chances! However I do feel if they are good enough then they would have stood out even in the 'weaker' sides! And totally agree with the fact that trials are a hard basis to go on!

I just hope its going to be somewhere between Bude and Newquay like Wadebridge perhaps or even Camelford as they have a cracking pitch! We (Bude) have done our fair share of travelling after playing away ties at Helston and Penzance in the last two rounds although the lads did enjoy the Mcdonald and KFC stops!!

From a Schools football point of view for the past 2 seasons Bude have failed to attend the Under 14 and 15 county trials. Players have been put forward put then haven't turned up to the trials for reasons unknown. We used to get a few players from Bude but the most recent would have to be Lloyd Scaiffe, and Shaun Thomas. The boys could be getting representative football from the age of 14 which would undoubtably set them up for Under 16 and Youth set ups.

I taught at Bude at the time of Dunn, Vanstone, Box, Middleton, Aaron (gk) et al and there were some good players around the town who won the county schools football in their final year.

I just hope its going to be somewhere between Bude and Newquay like Wadebridge perhaps or even Camelford as they have a cracking pitch! We (Bude) have done our fair share of travelling after playing away ties at Helston and Penzance in the last two rounds although the lads did enjoy the Mcdonald and KFC stops!!

It will not be untill after Easter, i will look as always for a 'half way house' venue, hopefully a Peninsula League ground. Both clubs will be contacted to make sure the date is acceptable before the venue is arranged.

Hi Grant,

To be honest in my time at Budehaven, the school was preety useless in terms of organising trials! But this goes back to my original argument of how the players who mentioned above didn't get into the Cornwall Youth side a few years back! I think Bude school team even played the U16 county youth side and drew with them in a friendly! So there must have been alot of talent there. Anyhow lets hope for a Wadebridge/Bodmin Venue! I can't see the latter somehow though? Especially as they seem to be calling off Bodmin 2nd team matches for unknown reasons here and there! (According to other threads on the forum)

Ian,

Are those boys named in the Bude team from Bude School or from around the area? Don't recognise the names thats all!! Llyod and Shuan I know though the school system.

Ian,

Are those boys named in the Bude team from Bude School or from around the area? Don't recognise the names thats all!! Llyod and Shuan I know though the school system.

The whole of my squad which has played in this years under 18's cup have played in the Budehaven sixth form team however some more than others.

from the results the county youth have had over the last 5 or 6 years something must have been right as they have been very successful, i do agree with bicks about missing talent but then if players fail to attend a trial they are supposed to be attending what sort of message does that send out?? i was amazed that adam sleep (camelford) wasn't picked for county youth level considering he has been an 'ever present' for camelford in an successful side over the last couple of years, ending in a peninsula west winners medal. having said that i'm not aware if adam went to trials and as tommy matthews rightly said, trials may not be the best way to judge a player, an off day at the trials can be a false indication of your ability. I would also say that i agree with Tommy, it would be impossible to try and watch every youngster in the county so until someone comes up with a new idea for selection it will remain this way.

from the results the county youth have had over the last 5 or 6 years something must have been right as they have been very successful, i do agree with bicks about missing talent but then if players fail to attend a trial they are supposed to be attending what sort of message does that send out?? i was amazed that adam sleep (camelford) wasn't picked for county youth level considering he has been an 'ever present' for camelford in an successful side over the last couple of years, ending in a peninsula west winners medal. having said that i'm not aware if adam went to trials and as tommy matthews rightly said, trials may not be the best way to judge a player, an off day at the trials can be a false indication of your ability. I would also say that i agree with Tommy, it would be impossible to try and watch every youngster in the county so until someone comes up with a new idea for selection it will remain this way.

Adam was unfortunate that the County had a very strong squad of players during that two year period which combinated in winning the South West Counties Chamionship two years on the trot.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see MEWTY scoring again. ######

I am sure Tommy will recall him to the County's final group fixture of the season.

Hi David, Can you tell me when the rearranges game with Somerset is please?

Saturday 31st March. Which has it happens is the last day for the playing of matches in the group sections of the competition.