Cornwall Football Forum

cartilidge injury?

You would expect to be able to start training again within about 6 weeks of an "arthroscopy" operation which is the usual procedure to repair torn cartilage.

Ive had 4 or 5 of these ops and the biggest problem is the NHS waiting list.

I was lucky to have private medical insurance for 3 of the ops...done and dusted the same week!!

Depends on the type of surgery. If the cartilidge is 'repaired' it is at least 3 months before even start running as takes a long time to heal. If torn part of cartilidge removed (Meniscectomy) then more likely couple of months till back fully training, depending on severity.

Surgery is an arthroscopy (keyhole surgery)

Type of surgery depends on your age - only 'repair' if young (Early 20s) as cartilidge doesnt heal very well.

Also, depends on any other damage they may find on arthroscopy/scan.

3 seasons ago my son who was 17 at the time had problems with a knee that would lock up, usually without warning and often not because of any contact - once in training and once in a warm-up.

This was diagnosed as bucket handle tear of the cartilage - basically a hole in the middle of the cartilage rather than a tear with a loose piece hanging off the edge.

This was repaired in November of season before last (Nov 2005) and he didn't play again except for five mins in last game of season (Apr 2006). But last season he played whole season without trouble so although he was pretty cross - to put it mildly - after the op to be told no football for six months he's now glad it was done.

If you get it done follow the rehab instructions to the letter, don't be tempted to do much too soon, and you should be OK.

Guest Ronin

Also depends on which side of the knee they're operating on. The cartilage (meniscus) on the inside of the knee is most commonly injured but is attached to the ligaments there so there may be further damage.

Priorities in rehab should be improving mobility & strength of the joint especialy quads & hams and only once this has been regained should training recommence (2-6 wks after surgery) Return to sport can take 4-6 months but don't let that put you off. Like Andy says follow their rehab instructions TO THE LETTER and you'll be back for good, rush the rehab and you'll be changing your name to Tampax (in for one week - out for 3!)

I guess I've just answered a question that was bugging you too Kappa!

It all Depends on the type of surgery needed . If the cartilidge is 'repaired' it is at least 3 months before even start running as takes a long time to heal. If torn part of cartilidge removed (Meniscectomy) then more likely couple of months till back fully training, depending on severity.

Surgery is an arthroscopy (keyhole surgery)

Type of surgery depends on your age - only 'repair' if young (Early 20s) as cartilidge doesnt heal very well.

Also, depends on any other damage they may find on arthroscopy/scan.

Coming back to early could have consequences !!! :thumbsup:

Guest plonker

as i said on here before it took up to 12 weeks for my cartilidge to heal only back refereeing last week but i am wearing a support to help it . had no surgery on it after about 8 weeks started swimming that helps a lot to make my knee stronger . the thing with my knee was that i done was my cartilidge, ligaments .thigh musculs.

Guest TruroLad

i had an athroscopy down at st michaels hospital, the procedure usually take 30-50 mins, you are on crutches for a few days, then the bandage comes off and you have a film tht looks like cling film on your knee, this usually starts to peel off, after it has all heeled its a good idea to rest for two weeks then do some very light jogging.

St Darren, dont think its to do with the cup final, knees have been clicking for years now, wear and tare. Tescos saturday??? I am able to run without pain (in a straight line that is) got a private appointment on Aug 29 but havent got insurance so it has to be the NHS waiting list, knew I should of had insurance! shame insurance doesnt cover pre excisting injuries! Gutted I was really looking forward to having a good season.

unlucky dodger i know it will kill you to have to watch every week, but its either that or shopping for baby clothes. (trust me that is no fun at all)

Dont rush back to early though because it could set you back months (although knowing you, you will be at training the day after the op)

knees up mother brown