Cornwall Football Forum

Helston v Porthleven

Guest Skinner1

HELSTON 0- PORTHLEVEN 3

PORTHLEVEN PUT A STRONG SIDE OUT IN THE FIRST HALF & HELSTON MADE LIFE VERY DIFFICULT FOR THEM WITH SOME (STRONG) TACKLING.

PORT TOOK THE LEAD AFTER HALF HOUR WITH A GOAL FROM ANDREW WESTGARTH. PORT RANG THE CHANGES AT HALF TIME,. & THROUGHOUT THE 2ND HALF WITH 9 2ND TEAM PLAYERS COMING ON.

THE GAME SEEMED TO MEAN MORE TO THEM & THEY DOMINATED THE 2ND HALF ,SCORING FURTHER GOALS FROM PADDY GARDNER & TOM WADSWORTH.

GOOD LUCK TO SYMON & HIS TEAM FOR THE SEASON.

Guest WINNO

A very good exercise for both sides,Marred by my early departure..... Thought we more than matched our illustrious counterparts for the first 45 minutes. THIS WAS EMULATED WITH THE KIND WORDS FROM THE PORT CHAIRMAN. We had the better of the chances also. Ports goal came from a poor back pass which left Barry in trouble.

2nd half fitness took its toll and with the extra players Port had to come on it was inevitable as to the outcome. But my lads really gave their all and ran and ran until the final whistle.

There were some strong challenges coming in but thats football and don't think there was intent in them.

Good luck to both Port sides..

Regards

Winno

First half i thought Port had one or two players who showed they had a little bit more ability than the others. Second half showed what combination is all about these days- very poor performance from both sides with a quality of football showing how poor the standard is these days. No more than a couple of poor Falmouth Helston sides on show. Dont get too excited, thats all it was today. On todays performance Truro to win the combo, Port seconds to come in the bottom three, Helston to improve with further signings.

Guest WINNO

I wouldnt say poor performances from any of the teams at all. Both sides tried to play football and were also both committed to the game.... Like we all say its early days and fitness levels are the main factors in these pre season games.

Helston played well first half. But as Ive admitted before we ran out of stemm 2nd half. This won't be the case at the start of the season belive you me.

Yes Pidge I am now injured pulled me groin.

We still have 3 or 4 players unavaliable at the moment and a few more in the pipeline. But lets see at the start of the season whos where!!!!!!

As for the standard ex number 9. We all know its gone down hill not just the combo but the higher leagues as well weve had this discussion many a time on here.

But we can only play whats out there and you can't judge pre season games.

Where you playing now if you can assist in getting our standards up at Helson please contact me........

Unlucky Winno, Sure you will have a good season this year, maybe a couple of signings required but I am sure you will do well. As for the heavy challenges it was a local derby, friendly or not, so surely that was expected? Ex no 9 so good of you to back the team that are 'allegedly' paying out a small fortune every week to field their Combo side. Also it is very early days yet and I am sure both sides will improve. Good luck to both Kev and Winno this season.

Jonah

people should not be knocking the standard of this game

friendly or not - it is a local derby with a lot of personal pride at stake and neither team is going to lie down and let the other pass them off the park.

i believe it was a hard game but was played in a good spirit and was a good tribute to Dave Gardener which it was all about