Cornwall Football Forum

friendly - Mawgan 4 v Newquay 4

Not one for the purists...ankle high grass first half, and splashing mud second half but an entertaining game with spectacular goals (notably McPhilbin for Mawgan and O'Callaghan for Newquay). Mawgan went 1 up, 2v1 up, Newquay went 3v2 up, mawgan 4v3 up before O'Callaghan cut in and curled a beauty for the equaliser.

Thanks to all for getting this game on. Newquay arent there yet and need to step it up soon and Mawgan showed great effort and looked sharp going forward.

At full time, we had a penno-shoot-out for fun. Newquay 3v1 up after 3 missed their last 2 and lost in sudden death !

Scorers for Newquay : Cox, Rabone, Oakley, O'Callaghan.

Martin McPhilbin bagged a great individual goal - sorry dont know the other 3 !

All the best Mawgan. Thanks for your hospitality.

Quiet game from your lad today...but he wasnt alone Dermot ! Ironically he looked better when played on the opposite wing because he looked to cut inside which is what led to his excellent goal.

You get to ref him again on Weds so I look forward to getting several dubious penalties v Goonhavern !!!

If your reading this John Mitchell, dont believe a word of it !!!

Guest Dermot

Yes Daniel is 18,born on Christmas Eve,best Christmas present i have ever had.I am sure he will blossom into a great striker and i think Carl knows he has a good talent under him for Newquay to nurture. ;0) :clapper:

This was Mawgans 1st pre-season friendly and if im honest i expected a good hiding but we dug in when we had to and gave newquay a run for their money. the pitch helped mawgan out as it cut up quite badly and the driving rain in the second half made it seem like the game was being played in january rather than july which acted as a bit of a leveller for mawgan. The cross bar came to our rescue 3 times but we had a chance to win it in the last minute but i fluffed my lines and put the shot wide

It was a hard game with tackles flying in but was played in the right way with a good bit of banter from both sides.

As expected Newquay were the dominant team but if mawgan show the same spirit throughout the season then we wont be far away come the end.

Mawgan goalscorers were 1, Matt Ruse 2,Spike Hughes 3,Mac 4, Lockie

The penalty shootout at the end went into sudden death with the pressure of the occasion getting to both myself and Carl Jolly and we missed our pens.

On a personal note it was good to play football again with Carl Jolly (for first time in about 20 years) and hopefully we can do it again next year (i'm sure we have both got at least 1 more pre-season left in us)

good luck to Newquay for the season i am sure you will do well :thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: