Cornwall Football Forum

SPECIAL

spurfect

Mangle best way to answer your question,is a best Tottenham/Arsenal eleven.

Here is mine.

FRIEDAL, SAGNA, KING, VERMAALEN, ASSOU EKOTTO, WALCOTT, MODRIC, RAMSEY, BALE, VAN PERSIE, VAN DER VAART

Agreed - quite tight here and there. Probably a couple of undisputed ones, Van Persie, Van Der Vaart, King, Vermaalen. Surprised no one has mentioned Wiltshire - I would be making room for him. Modric, Bale, Ramsey, Parker, Walcott - all good players.

Don't like Assou Ekotto, weirdo!

I would prefer our keeper, although Freidal is bleddy good. So I guess it's about 50/50. That's why it will be close in the league, the run you are on now is fantastic, but I cannot see it continuing all season. Arsenal have played well in virtually every match, and will be there or there-abouts come May...

This topic and this section of the cornish soccer forums has become symptomatic of the general stupidity of football analysis in this country for the last 2 or 3 years.

It appears that any club/manager/player is one game away from being a world beater or being in crisis!

Liverpool bring in 4 or 5 decent players in the last 2 transfer windows and suddenly they become title contenders. I'm sure most Liverpool supporters would agree that a trophy and a challenge for 4th would be a good first full season for Kenny, but I suppose that kind of realistic and measured thought doesn't sell newspapers and make people watch the TV!

Tottenham & Arsenal lose a couple of games early in the season and they are supposedly in crisis, players are unhappy, managers are restless. Both teams are top quality and will compete with Chelsea for 3rd and 4th in the league, but I just think Chelsea & Spurs will just sneak it, but it may depend on what happens in the January window.

Man Utd win a couple of games at the beginning of the season and the 'young guns' at the club (Jones, Welbeck, Cleverly, Smalling) are going to help United dominate the league, challenge Barcelona in Europe and lead then England to the European Championships! Now, they lose in Europe, and the youngsters are no good, and United are light years behind everyone..... ridiculous! United and City will gradually pull away from the pack in Premier League and fight it out for the title. The young players are not as good as all and sundry were claiming at the start of the season, likewise, they are not as bad as everyone is saying at the moment. They are young, and will be inconsistent for a couple of years.

Chelsea, Villas-Boas was praised at the start of the season for the style of play he was trying to implement, the boldness of his decisions (dropping Lampard). He loses a couple of matches, and he too inexperienced, lost the senior players in the dressing room, and could be sacked before Xmas! The funny thing is, if they beat Man City tonight (I think they will), everyone will be on here and the papers and pundits will be exclaiming that they are back in the title race, however Tottenham, who would be level on points (with a game in hand) are out of the title race because they lost yesterday!!

What makes me laugh is that everyone loves to talk about the stupid, pointless things in football, but when it comes to important issues everyone becomes vague and elusive....

- Clubs operating with massive financial losses and still being allowed to buy players for £20m/£30m/£40m. It's cheating, but the UEFA/FIFA can't do a thing about it because the football superpowers will just threaten to breakaway and form their own European super league. Financial Fair Play will be joke, I guarantee it, wait for all the loopholes that Man City/Chelsea/Barcelona/Madrid/PSG exploit.

- The lack of respect for the game by the players. Some of the diving and 'professionalism' in games makes games sickening to watch sometimes. Watching the biggest game in the world on Saturday (Real v Barca), some of antics by Dani Alves/Alexis Sanchez/Marcelo/Sergio Busquests left you shaking your head and wanting to turn off (which I did... the Darts was much better to watch!). Players don't seem to realise that what they do on the pitch on Saturday happens on the playground on Monday!!

- FIFA being corrupt from top to bottom, and I don't think the FA are much better! Unfortunately, we live in a football world where money talks, both legally & illegally, and no-one really cares!!!!

In reply to young shaggers anti spurs tirade all the way through this thread which believe me is just a poor attempt to hide the failings of his own beloved manure.Spurs will qualify in the top 4 anywhere from 2nd to 4th above arsenal and probably above manu.Better strength in depth will be key even without the mighty ledley king,stoke is always a hard place to go away to and they consistently take points off of the top sides.

Times are changing.

A little bit of sense.

Apologies to the armchair supporters,who wanted a reply.

But as I have said on here many times.

I support Spurs,and was travelling home last night,after the match.

To all the other YIDS on here,take it from me.We have nothing or no-one to fear.

If we keep playing our football like yesterdays 2nd half performance,where only an awful officials performance,cost us three points.

We are only going one way,up the premiership and into the Champions League.

Anyone that thinks different ,put your money where your GOBS are.

not sure if i speak for everyone but the word YID is offensive to some....just food for thought

Well,you dont speak for me.

And Im a YID.

Just food for thought.

Smithy,I think this is a very idiotic post to bring up.

Being a Gooner,you must be well aware of the word YID,and its association with Tottenham Hotspur supporters.

Be careful,you could be opening a very unsavoury issue. :SM_carton:

Peck1961, what a very sensible posting and have to agree with most of the points you raised, totally agree with your assesment of the Real V Barca game i looked forward to it all week but i was also disgusted with the antics of both sides especially sergio ramos who on at least 5 occasions ran the length of the field to try and get a player booked. Marcelo must be the nastiest sneekist player in the world and pepe was lucky along with a few others to stay on the pitch. Fabregas although he scored looked a shadow of the player he was at arsenal. And as for that overated poser from portugal, absolutely awful, lazy , greedy and a waste of space. Gave the ball away nearly every time tried shots from 30 yards when other players were better placed and missed an absolute shocker to make it 2-0. once again mourinho was out tactied by Guaridola.

as for arsenal and spurs, arsenal seriously have to buy a new striker to take the pressure off rvp and spurs have to forget king and get a big central defender .

Guest smashing pumpkin

This topic and this section of the cornish soccer forums has become symptomatic of the general stupidity of football analysis in this country for the last 2 or 3 years. It appears that any club/manager/player is one game away from being a world beater or being in crisis! Liverpool bring in 4 or 5 decent players in the last 2 transfer windows and suddenly they become title contenders. I'm sure most Liverpool supporters would agree that a trophy and a challenge for 4th would be a good first full season for Kenny, but I suppose that kind of realistic and measured thought doesn't sell newspapers and make people watch the TV! Tottenham & Arsenal lose a couple of games early in the season and they are supposedly in crisis, players are unhappy, managers are restless. Both teams are top quality and will compete with Chelsea for 3rd and 4th in the league, but I just think Chelsea & Spurs will just sneak it, but it may depend on what happens in the January window. Man Utd win a couple of games at the beginning of the season and the 'young guns' at the club (Jones, Welbeck, Cleverly, Smalling) are going to help United dominate the league, challenge Barcelona in Europe and lead then England to the European Championships! Now, they lose in Europe, and the youngsters are no good, and United are light years behind everyone..... ridiculous! United and City will gradually pull away from the pack in Premier League and fight it out for the title. The young players are not as good as all and sundry were claiming at the start of the season, likewise, they are not as bad as everyone is saying at the moment. They are young, and will be inconsistent for a couple of years. Chelsea, Villas-Boas was praised at the start of the season for the style of play he was trying to implement, the boldness of his decisions (dropping Lampard). He loses a couple of matches, and he too inexperienced, lost the senior players in the dressing room, and could be sacked before Xmas! The funny thing is, if they beat Man City tonight (I think they will), everyone will be on here and the papers and pundits will be exclaiming that they are back in the title race, however Tottenham, who would be level on points (with a game in hand) are out of the title race because they lost yesterday!! What makes me laugh is that everyone loves to talk about the stupid, pointless things in football, but when it comes to important issues everyone becomes vague and elusive.... - Clubs operating with massive financial losses and still being allowed to buy players for £20m/£30m/£40m. It's cheating, but the UEFA/FIFA can't do a thing about it because the football superpowers will just threaten to breakaway and form their own European super league. Financial Fair Play will be joke, I guarantee it, wait for all the loopholes that Man City/Chelsea/Barcelona/Madrid/PSG exploit. - The lack of respect for the game by the players. Some of the diving and 'professionalism' in games makes games sickening to watch sometimes. Watching the biggest game in the world on Saturday (Real v Barca), some of antics by Dani Alves/Alexis Sanchez/Marcelo/Sergio Busquests left you shaking your head and wanting to turn off (which I did... the Darts was much better to watch!). Players don't seem to realise that what they do on the pitch on Saturday happens on the playground on Monday!! - FIFA being corrupt from top to bottom, and I don't think the FA are much better! Unfortunately, we live in a football world where money talks, both legally & illegally, and no-one really cares!!!!

great post

• 2 weeks later...

Im not going to sing from the rooftops just yet.

Ive been a Spurs fan, far to long,for that.

But looking at our situation this morning,I am feeling pretty good.

I know we have a long way to go,but would Chelsea and Arsenal like to be in our position,you bet.

Our squad is big ,strong and has quality in depth.

Last nights performance was very good,as has the season,so far.

With players of the calibre of,King,Dawson,Huddlestone,Lennon and Defoe,to return,the squad does'nt need much tinkering with.

If players want to leave,then may a couple may be needed.

I would say Spurs are very much in the hunt for the Premiership.

Our next 6 league games,4 are home and 2 away.

January could see our destination.

Lets hope for a Tottenham 2012.

COYS.

This topic and this section of the cornish soccer forums has become symptomatic of the general stupidity of football analysis in this country for the last 2 or 3 years. It appears that any club/manager/player is one game away from being a world beater or being in crisis! Liverpool bring in 4 or 5 decent players in the last 2 transfer windows and suddenly they become title contenders. I'm sure most Liverpool supporters would agree that a trophy and a challenge for 4th would be a good first full season for Kenny, but I suppose that kind of realistic and measured thought doesn't sell newspapers and make people watch the TV! Tottenham & Arsenal lose a couple of games early in the season and they are supposedly in crisis, players are unhappy, managers are restless. Both teams are top quality and will compete with Chelsea for 3rd and 4th in the league, but I just think Chelsea & Spurs will just sneak it, but it may depend on what happens in the January window. Man Utd win a couple of games at the beginning of the season and the 'young guns' at the club (Jones, Welbeck, Cleverly, Smalling) are going to help United dominate the league, challenge Barcelona in Europe and lead then England to the European Championships! Now, they lose in Europe, and the youngsters are no good, and United are light years behind everyone..... ridiculous! United and City will gradually pull away from the pack in Premier League and fight it out for the title. The young players are not as good as all and sundry were claiming at the start of the season, likewise, they are not as bad as everyone is saying at the moment. They are young, and will be inconsistent for a couple of years. Chelsea, Villas-Boas was praised at the start of the season for the style of play he was trying to implement, the boldness of his decisions (dropping Lampard). He loses a couple of matches, and he too inexperienced, lost the senior players in the dressing room, and could be sacked before Xmas! The funny thing is, if they beat Man City tonight (I think they will), everyone will be on here and the papers and pundits will be exclaiming that they are back in the title race, however Tottenham, who would be level on points (with a game in hand) are out of the title race because they lost yesterday!! What makes me laugh is that everyone loves to talk about the stupid, pointless things in football, but when it comes to important issues everyone becomes vague and elusive.... - Clubs operating with massive financial losses and still being allowed to buy players for £20m/£30m/£40m. It's cheating, but the UEFA/FIFA can't do a thing about it because the football superpowers will just threaten to breakaway and form their own European super league. Financial Fair Play will be joke, I guarantee it, wait for all the loopholes that Man City/Chelsea/Barcelona/Madrid/PSG exploit. - The lack of respect for the game by the players. Some of the diving and 'professionalism' in games makes games sickening to watch sometimes. Watching the biggest game in the world on Saturday (Real v Barca), some of antics by Dani Alves/Alexis Sanchez/Marcelo/Sergio Busquests left you shaking your head and wanting to turn off (which I did... the Darts was much better to watch!). Players don't seem to realise that what they do on the pitch on Saturday happens on the playground on Monday!! - FIFA being corrupt from top to bottom, and I don't think the FA are much better! Unfortunately, we live in a football world where money talks, both legally & illegally, and no-one really cares!!!!

great post

What a spot on post. Supporters being priced out by inflated prices. Just look at United's game against Wigan, lots of empty seasts. Personally I prefer to watch the Championship and of course support local football

If the situation in March is the same then you will have gained no ground on the Mancs clubs and will have even less chance of winning the league. It would be extremely unlikely for a club to come from outside the top4 to win the league the following season. Look at the modern history of the Prem. Miracles do happen but not this season, methinks. Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spurs are not out of it yet, reckon they can get 2nd place. All I want is both City and Spurs and even Arsenal, if poss, to finish above the the Manc's. Think Newcastle has blown chance of a top 4 finish. That would make my season.

Hate to say it as well, on saturday's performance Liverpool will be lucky to finish 5th.

From what I saw, Spurs were unlucky, and looking at Defoe's chance, I can't quite work out why he didn't lunge half a second earlier. I think he should have scored, and that really would have stirred things up. I still think it's Citys year, they have ridden their luck at times and still come out on top. Spurs are looking more and more like top 4 (probabaly 3rd I agree) as I think Ferguson will keep Utd where they are. They are the only really danger for the title. Thankfully for Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle are crap, but Chelsea have opened a small gap. Could be tough. The Gunners are playing well, but defensively are weak. Wenger has to buy defenders in January if he is serious about finishing any higher up the table that they are now. They are scoring enough goals (just) but conceeding far too many. Could be a good couple of months coming up.

• 2 months later...