Cornwall Football Forum

St.Austell friendly

Guest alex bradley

it was a poor game. st austell unwilling to get it down and play. st austell's strikeforce was too similar, altho karl cocks goal was a cracker from just inside the pen box. nanpean missed a penalty midway through 2nd half. score was 3-1 to st.austell when i left, 75mins at a guess

It ended 3-1 to St Austell who will surely struggle if that is their side this season.

It was even early on with very little to choose between the sides, a nasty clash of heads saw Avery from Nanpean and Nancarrow of St Austell leave the midfield. Whilst Avery was off the field St Austell started to dicatate more of the play, although Nanpean should have taken the lead after Pinhammer (I think?) was put clean through but his strike was straight at Quantick in the St Austell goal. Moments later Phil Hutchings on as an early sub for the injured St Austell player looped home a header after meeting the impressive Slateford's right wing cross. There was very little goal mouth incident for the remainder of the first half, Trevaskis showed some nice touches upfront for St Austell although himself alongside Patterson gave the Nanpean defence little worry with Josh French and Mark Smith looking particuarly commanding.

Friendship's curler at the start of the second half almost doubled St Austells lead before Nanpean equalised when Rory Barnicle slotted home from close range after Quantick failed to hold Pascoes well struck drive from the edge of the area. Barnicle almost added a second when put through but Quantick read Barnicles clever flick and saved with his feet on the edge of the area. Karl Cocks smashed home a cracker from the edge of the area to give St Austell the lead on about the hour mark. St Austell grew stronger as the half progressed and added a third on 70 minutes. St Austell were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area, Phil Hutchings free kick was saved by the Nanpean keeper but only Patterson reacted to the loose ball and comfortably slotted home from close range.

Nanpean were awarded a dubious penalty late on after Martin Giles who impressed as a sub at left back in the second half was adjudged to have handled although the balls was struck at him from close range with power giving him no time to get out of the way. Nanpean had an earlier claim for hand ball dismissed when a clear cut penalty looked the only decision so maybe these things even themselves out. The Nanpeans spot kick taker impressed any rugby scouts looking for a fly half as his spot kick cleared the bar with ease and that was about the last of the action.

no we were understrength, we had a striker and a left winger playing as part of a back 3, kayne trevaskis who by his own admition hasnt been fit for 16 months (although he was one of the better players) we had a lad making his debut in snr football,and 4 16 year olds so in all i thought we did well, i think we will shock a few teams this season.we had only 2 subs and were missing 5-6 players who would of stated.

You had some good players. Kayne Trevaskis showed some nice touches, and Slateford played really well in the middle of midfield. I presummed you were short as both your subs are normally second team players although both played well. Your right back was also quite solid, the one that works behind the bar in the Wheel Inn, Sam Waters is it?!

You can't read too much into friendlies because of avaliability of players. Who else are St Austell playing in friendlies? Which players were missing?

Guest WINNO

NUMBER 9 YOU SEEM TO TALK A MEGGA GAME FOOTIE BUD BUT FORM A LOT OF PEOPLES VIEWS ARE YOU GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY THIS STANDARD EVEN COMBO?????????

IVE HEARD DIFFERENT?

KAYNE IS A GOOD PLAYER BUT IF HE'S INJURED WHY THE HELL IS PLAYING COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL FOR ST AUSTELL.

I THOUGHT HE WAS GONNA PLAY FOR AGGIE THIS SEASON??????????????

I HOPE HE'S NOT5 MESSING KIMMOMAROUND AGAIN. IT COULD BE PAINFULL?HAHAH

St Austell 4 (Nick Bennetts (2), Phil Hutchins, Lea Cooper), St Stephen 1 (Ross Dunne).

Gar, What do think of the 2nds set up they look like a team which should win the league and have a good cup run, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed playing in the last 2 friendlies, there is a good team spirit and everyone wants to play for one another. :c:

Looking at last seasons team compared to this seasons team coops I can say the team is much stronger already with just the few new boys we have brought in. We got to a cup final last season and finished mid table with a small squad. This season I feel top spot is a vary positive spot to look for and a good cup run is looking good to with the size of the squad.