Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell v Liskeard - Match Abandoned

Cornish Ref, not quite right with your post i`m afraid, in the event of a referee unable to carry on then the senior assistant takes over the game and in this case a level 5 is qualified, you then use the best volunteer available to act as assistant. The clubs have no say in this it`s the referee`s decision and it`s the decisions of the referee taking over as he is now the referee for that game.

Mr Manning, I quite agree with you that my statement was wrong (as per the LOAF and league rules) but the point of referee levels was valid! Taking into consideration the assistant appointments for this match, the senior assistant (level 5 with vast experience) would have struggled in keeping up with play at this level. So the decision was the right one to abandon the match! I don't think you can argue this point....... :-)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely all referee's at this level should be expected to know what the correct procedures are in the event that they get injured, basic. Maybe the elusive mr ray brown can come out and tell us all how such unacceptable incompetence is dealt with in the best interest of the respect campaign, don't hold your breath though.

It's incompetence by everyone involved. I am sure Ray Brown would expect all officials to know the basic procedure, the fact is someone should have told the ref that he had made a mistake wether it be one of his assisstants a team manager a member of the crowd or the tea lady, someone should have known, if not a league official should have been contacted. It seems very strange that all concerned just accepted the decision to call it off.

Like I have already said....none of this would have been an issue had the ref not turned up to game already injured. I don't care what level the linesmen were....one was 80 and the other 14. None wudve done a job...whether for 45mins or 5mins. Blame lies with injured ref not being honest.

I see your point but the correct procedure should have been followed, why didn't someone call a league official to clarify the situation if [which i find hard to believe] no one knew the rules, surely someone must have had a rule book. Blame an individual if you wish but as i said in earlier post everyone involved is to blame. The refs opinion is only final if laws are correctly applied which in this case they clearly were not.

but who would go against a referee offering the clubs the chance to continue, of all people involved he should be the most knowledgeable surely?

I think perhaps Liskeard were happy to finish early as they must have had something else planned because they all piled in their cars and cleared off!!.....nobody came in the club and had a drink or some of the food provided.

All in all, pretty poor from them.

Sadly what an expensive afternoon for St Austell FC and what should have been a good game of footie. Hopefully the Ref did not get his expensives for not knowing the rules. Looking forward to the next game, perhaps the pasties that were not consumed by Liskard can be frozen and warmed up for the next fixture!!!!!!!

I don't usually write on here but this is doing my head in and it has done since half time on saturday.

1. I walked with the referee as he was leaving the field of play at half time using some of my famous reverse psychology to ensure a pentaly was awarded to us in the second half (st austell) and he was clearly not limping. Therefore I was extremely suprised to hear of this hamstring injury. Almost comically, he appeared after half time like he was walking out of hospital following major hamstring surgery. I did not and still do not feel that this referee fancied refereeing the game given the way things went in the 1st half.

2. This referee has consistantly been one of the weakest around (infact the only consistantly good one is George Patterson, sorry if this is wrong spelling, who is always excellent). One example in a previous fixture was a St Austell player running through on goal from the half way line who is then cleanly taken out by a chasing defender (who was then on the floor cursing the fact that he was about to be sent off) and is not even awarded a yellow, but a free kick is awarded on the edge of the box for the foul!!!!!!! what?! and the ref asked him if he was ok!!!???? The player nearly fell over with suprise and then his whole team started laughing!! I could give many more examples but that is a standout!

Because of decisions like these, i guess he would not have known some of the more technical rules being discussed on this topic. I can't believe the suggestion that he trains other officials is true.

3. It was also very dispointing that, given the opportunity to play, liskeard refused. I have to say that i know the majority of their lads wanted to play but the manager refused. Spineless? maybe.

Cheers

Non, there is not a cat in hells chance the the referee would have not wanted to continue, unless he felt that his injury was not going to let him, It certainly looks like he made a mistake in how the game was to be completed and the biggest mistake was giving Liskeard the option to abandon. I know Martin, I have watched him officiate I have also been an assistant to him and your description of his ability is beyond belief, he is a good referee and as an assessor I do think I am qualified to make that comment.

Well pard, he didn't look injured when striding off at half time......... And he defo doesn't know what a professional foul is!

Maybe it was an injury from not keeping up with play? Do referees do much weekley training? or is it just down to the fact that they only have to pass one fitness test per year?

Whatever. My main point is that he was fine prior to half time. If he did his hamstring in midweek then he shouls not have been there on sat. Hamstrings take way longer than a couple of days. I should know.

At the end of the day nobody should have been put in the situation they were in. The ref hasn't been honest with himself, the league and the game. If he had been he would have informed the powers that be, the night before, that he was struggling with injury, and let them decide whether to re assign a new ref or at least send a standy by ref down just in case! I don't think that he "bottled" it, i just think he shouldve been honest. As a player i wouldn't make myself available for selection or let my gaffer play me if i was injured, so why did the ref think it was acceptable??

At the end of the day nobody should have been put in the situation they were in. The ref hasn't been honest with himself, the league and the game. If he had been he would have informed the powers that be, the night before, that he was struggling with injury, and let them decide whether to re assign a new ref or at least send a standy by ref down just in case! I don't think that he "bottled" it, i just think he shouldve been honest. As a player i wouldn't make myself available for selection or let my gaffer play me if i was injured, so why did the ref think it was acceptable??

Presumably he made an error of judgement over his injury and thought he was fit enough to ref the game. Why would he inform anyone in those circumstances? There's no good reason to accuse him of dishonesty.

Well Non, if you are not enjoying playing anymore because of us referee`s, we are not going to change so your only course of action is to retire from the game, I can assure you that if I stop enjoying my football I will finish, no point at all in doing something that you do not enjoy. To Argyle fan , all laws are important thats why they are included in the LOAF for us to follow.

It's a shame that someone is considering retiring from the game purely because of the man in the who is SUPPOSED to ensure the game simply runs smoothly and fair. I am fully aware that everyone makes mistakes, but SURELY the vast amount of topics and comments critisizing referees on poor performances and ludicrous decisions have to contain an element of truth.

In my opinion, there are no more than a few officials that referee in the SWPL. I have been witness to numerous poor performances and decisions over the past couple years. A lot need further training, a few need to be fitter, and majority need to get off there high horse and realise that the game of FOOTBALL is about FOOTBALL and not them

To be fair the Standard of refs and linesmen are pretty poor in the league. The game on Saturday which got abandoned there were quite a few doggy decisions by the Ref not doing his job properly or again seeing a completely different game that I saw and other around me witnessed. The goal that was scored against LIskeard was a very soft free kick. Two players came together not much in it, the very young linesmen waved his hand suggesting no fowl. Did nt raise his flag so Ref blow up gave a free kick goal for st austell. All us St Austell fans saw this but the amount of bad decisions that we have had in the past, you have to take the rough with the smooth. To be honest the linesmen should help the Ref more and perhaps should nt of had a youngster on the top line with all the home fans. It's not only a hard job to do but this guy needs encouragement and I'm afraid was alittle out of he's depth.

To be fair the Standard of refs and linesmen are pretty poor in the league. The game on Saturday which got abandoned there were quite a few doggy decisions by the Ref not doing his job properly or again seeing a completely different game that I saw and other around me witnessed. The goal that was scored against LIskeard was a very soft free kick. Two players came together not much in it, the very young linesmen waved his hand suggesting no fowl. Did nt raise his flag so Ref blow up gave a free kick goal for st austell. All us St Austell fans saw this but the amount of bad decisions that we have had in the past, you have to take the rough with the smooth. To be honest the linesmen should help the Ref more and perhaps should nt of had a youngster on the top line with all the home fans. It's not only a hard job to do but this guy needs encouragement and I'm afraid was alittle out of he's depth.

Doggy is an animal you take for a walk, fowl is a bird that you might eat for Sunday lunch, and it is out of 'his' depth, that is 3 mistakes in 30 seconds, are you really qualified to criticise the officials?

Mr Unknown,

You need to remember that by and large the standard of officialdom is on a par with the standard of football played. Yes both linesmen and referres will be inconsistent and they will make mistakes.So will the players, at this level there is every chance that over the 90 minutes every player will make mistakes.

Do you not think that you may be overestimating the quality / standard of football that you're watching.

I appreciate that St Austell ( and others at that standard ) receive financial remuneration of some sort, but to my mind ( and I'm rather old ) the standard isn't really anything to get over excited about

I think perhaps Liskeard were happy to finish early as they must have had something else planned because they all piled in their cars and cleared off!!.....nobody came in the club and had a drink or some of the food provided.

All in all, pretty poor from them.

Tony nobody came in after as an elderly gentleman (St Austell supporter) was hurling obsenities and hand gestures at a Senior member from the Liskeard Committee which upset numerous people. Totally uncalled for!

can i ask cornish ref.

how do you know the level 5 with vast experience wouid of struggled in keeping up with play??

not having a pop at you cornish ref.

Lynx i totally agree with you. Cornish Ref you have no idea about the fitness of people if you never have seen them officiate in a game. That is totally wrong of you to think no one could keep up with play if that is what you are implying.

I have run the line for Truro City against both Liskeard Athletic and St Austell and have had no problem keeping up with play against both teams and considering that I am not a Level 6/7 let alone a level 4/5 goes to show that non qualified linesman can keep up with play with premier players.

I think you ought to apologise to all club linesman that read and use this forum for thinking level assistants are only able to keep up with play.

As for the attitude of players and managers, St Austell were great and accepted every decision I gave. As for Liskeard, the referee did get a lot of stick but its how the officials react to the abuse received from Managers which may mean the managers get more angry and abusive if they are not treated with respect at times so you should respect the decision given my Mr Edwards of Liskeard, what is wrong with saying no to a question, as yes is the other answer. Scenario: Its the last game of the season Liskeard v St Austell, Liskeard top, 1 point ahead of St Austell, its 1-1, referee pulls up half time, St Austell asked if they wish to continue and say no as the rearranged game could mean they win comfortably, would you all be saying that St Austell Manager was wrong to say no to continuing?

Bushy12, just so that you can see we do our best and that we are human, we do make mistakes , but as long as they are honest mistakes there is no problem and if you would like to ask any pertinant refereeing questions i will try and answer, thats all no other intent.

No thanks

We do play at a poor standard. But at least when players make a mistake we put our hands up and except we have done so. The officials that I have the most time for are the ones that make an error and totally defisue the situation and say "yep, fair enough, I might have got that one wrong" No come back to that. Extremely rare for this to happen though.

Another complete **** up in my eyes. Surely in the top division of the top league of Cornish football the supporters and players are entitled to expect better than this. About time Ray brown started being a little more accountable for these miserable shortcomings in his ranks. Nobody seems to know the rules ?!!!!

Where was Moneyman he would have sorted it, would'nt he?

On Holiday.... This seems to be a bit of a mess, I havent spoken to any club officials yet to comment further on this.

Shame Liskeard were not prepared to continue.

I noticed that the St Austell crowd against Camelford on Saturday was only 75.. worst home gate in years !!!! I guess this was a direct response from the fans that were let down due to the abandonment of this game.

Money Man

Another complete **** up in my eyes. Surely in the top division of the top league of Cornish football the supporters and players are entitled to expect better than this. About time Ray brown started being a little more accountable for these miserable shortcomings in his ranks. Nobody seems to know the rules ?!!!!

Where was Moneyman he would have sorted it, would'nt he?

On Holiday.... This seems to be a bit of a mess, I havent spoken to any club officials yet to comment further on this.

Shame Liskeard were not prepared to continue.

I noticed that the St Austell crowd against Camelford on Saturday was only 75.. worst home gate in years !!!! I guess this was a direct response from the fans that were let down due to the abandonment of this game.

Money Man

Moneyman could you PM me with you e-mail address - i have tried sending you a message but you could not receive them - it is on an unrelated matter to this. Cheers

Come on lads, let's let this subject go now. Go back to picking on St Blazey again, or someone else. Who would be a ref with all your moanings.

How about a thread such as "Who's going to be relegated from Div 1 West?" or something like that.

(By the way I've heard no-one again relegated this season, so who will go for promotion from the CCL or ECPL leagues - Sticker or Illogan?)

I'll never quite understand why they didn't have the same numbers as the Eastern Division from the very start!

Simple answer Sticker were turned down.. Although in the leagues defence they did finish only 3rd in the ecpl league.

I really believe that they should of let them join the league based on facilities alone!!!! though

MM