Cornwall Football Forum

Bad News - Derek Newman

FORMER PORTHLEVEN, ILLOGAN & ST AGNES FOOTBALLER, DEREK NEWMAN, DIED TRAGICALLY TODAY WHILST PLAYING CRICKET FOR PORTHLEVEN,

IT IS THOUGHT DEREK SUFFERED A MASSIVE HEART ATTACK AFTER HE WAS STRUCK IN THE CHEST WHILST FIELDING.

AS SOMEONE WHO WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO PLAY FOOTBALL & CRICKET WITH DEREK OVER THE LAST 25YRS, I HAVE LOST A VERY GOOD FRIEND & LOCAL SPORT & THE VILLAGE AS A WHOLE HAS LOST ONE OF ITS VERY BEST PEOPLE,

MY THOUGHTS & THOSE OF PORTHLEVEN FOOTBALL CLUB GO OUT TO DEREK'S FAMILY !!!!!

_44015195_derek203.jpg

I've just come in the door and thought I would see what news there is on the forum only to be met with such terrible tragic news.

I played cricket with Derek in my very early days at Plain-an-Gwarry and against him in soccer. Having chosen not to play cricket this year, I could well have been playing against him today.

An absolute gentleman and a talented sportsman.

My sincere condolences and thoughts are with his family at this tragic time.

Guest Si_paramedic

Derek has been a much loved colleague and friend for 20 years. I can't believe the devastating news. Our thoughts and prayers are with Sarah and Lamorna.

From Kimmo at St Agnes - great memories of a great player and friend - we played together for the St Agnes Youth Team - an enormous devastating shock - we both played together against Exeter City at the opening of the St Agnes new ground at Enys Parc in 1980 - they beat us 7-1 with Derek scoring the only goal. He stopped playing because like me he had problems with his knees but what a lovely likeable bloke. A total, total shock - sincere condolences to all his family from everyone at St Agnes AFC. I know that we have a video of the match which we could get copies.

Have just spoken to Bob, who was the St Agnes manager over the time Derek played - his memories too of a lovely bloke - he says that Exeter wanted to take Derek on trial but because he was going to university he didn't go. The Exeter coach Malcolm Musgrove left details that if Derek didn't get on at university he was to get hold of Exeter to give it a go!

Very sad news indeed. Derek played a few games back in the 90's for Gulval having been itroduced by Simon Taylor my mate and a colleague of Derek's. He was helping out as you do when someone offers you a gmae and can get you legal in time.

Each time our paths crossed since I have got a "How is it going Mike still playing?" or "Doing OK this year I see!" from him.

A gent always genuine and sincere and cracking player to boot.

Our very deepest sympathy to his family and friends from all at Gulval.

Totally shocked to hear the tragic news at the loss of an old adversary and one of sports real gentlemen at a cricket game yesterday .

Having played with and against Derek on the cricket field for many years he was always someone to fear with either the bat or ball .... he was a real talent .

I also had the pleasure of refereeing him on the soccer field many , many times, admiring his skill and will to win but whatever the result he always conducted himself as a true sportsman on and off the field .

He will be sorely missed by all who knew him .

RIP Derek

just like to add my deepest sympathy to dereks family and many friends.absolute gentleman,and lovely guy.pretty good player as well,great goalscorer.tragic news,saw derek alot at work,always had time for a chat about the old days.will be sorely missed by us all.nice photo of derek kev.

Guest Peppermint

I have just returned to the County from Brighton and discovered the tragic news regarding Derek Newman.

Having had the pleasure of playing against Derek when he played for Redruth - he was always the first to come and shake hands whatever the result. He was a real gentleman besides being a great sportsman and he will be sadly missed.

My sincere condolences to his family. Heaven's gain is our loss. RIP Derek.

Not having looked at the Forum at all over the weekend, the first I heard of it was this morning when I walked into work.

Tragic news that I am sure will sadden everyone connected with sport around the county, but in particular the footballing population throughout Cornwall.

My deepest sympathy goes to Derek's family and friends. Kimmo recalled his days with Derek at St Agnes, and that's where I first recall coming up again him, before memories of him playing for Porthleven.

A tidy respected player who was also more than a useful goalscorer for whoever he played.