Cornwall Football Forum

Relegation Battle?!

Spot on North Devon Dweller. Today was all about getting a cup run going, no politics etc, but only 25 made the trip which for most clubs is good travelling support but for me that was rubbish!!!!

The club laid on a coach, only £10 a ticket, a good day out even with the result.

Get out and support your local club.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] Stick with your club through thick and thin hey? Well I ask you this, would you stick with your Bank if they lost all your savings? Would you stick with your partner if she slept with your

brother? Would you stick with your dog if it savaged a child? [...]

[...] spot on. Well said and very realistic thinking.

Wow. Just wow.

Paul I hope and pray St Blazey will survive relegation but please wake up and realise once and for all that the people of St Blazey know too much about the behind the scenes to want to give up their time, let alone their money to follow their local club.

The clubs in bad hands behind the scenes no matter who is managing or playing out their on the pitch. I admire your faith but have to question the lack of realism I'm afraid.

Pingu !!!! :clapper::drink::clapper::drink::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Load of saddo's Paul's right you haven't got a clue just a load of bitter, jealous and sick people,

The success is there for all to see lets see if St Awful can win 7 championships in 10 years I don't think so with St Blazey rejects on the Committee

lmfao :clapper: :clapper:

People know who I am so why not reveal yourself hornet ??

Sorry if the truth hurt :clapper:

Paul I hope and pray St Blazey will survive relegation but please wake up and realise once and for all that the people of St Blazey know too much about the behind the scenes to want to give up their time, let alone their money to follow their local club.

The clubs in bad hands behind the scenes no matter who is managing or playing out their on the pitch. I admire your faith but have to question the lack of realism I'm afraid.

Pingu !!!! :clapper::drink::clapper::drink::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Load of saddo's Paul's right you haven't got a clue just a load of bitter, jealous and sick people,

The success is there for all to see lets see if St Awful can win 7 championships in 10 years I don't think so with St Blazey rejects on the Committee

lmfao :clapper: :clapper:

People know who I am so why not reveal yourself hornet ??

Sorry if the truth hurt :clapper:

Happy to be regarded as a reject by a certain few along with Glynn & Phil but beware because these things can come back to haunt you.

However rejects need to be rejected not to walk away by choice like we all did !

I would like to wish the real St Blazey legends like Derek Isbell, Brian Saunders, Pat Saunders, Val Isbell, Pam Cocks, Shirley Richards & Eric Cannon all the best for the current season because these people really do deserve better for their continued hard work behind the scenes. It must be painful to see what's happening on and off the pitch.

Perhaps people should look at what the club are doing to help keep the football and club alive!!

Monday nights booked (pirates), Tuesday bingo, wednesday booked(line dancing), every other Thursday bingo, Friday and Saturday more and more private partys Sunday night bingo. oh and 2 pool teams, dart and euchre most clubs would bite your arm off for this!!!! As for comittee members doing their bit take a look because they do ( even if some are limited). How about people who knock St Blazey focus on their own club and stop trying to throw s*** at Blazey one day it will get thrown back.

Perhaps people should look at what the club are doing to help keep the football and club alive!!

Monday nights booked (pirates), Tuesday bingo, wednesday booked(line dancing), every other Thursday bingo, Friday and Saturday more and more private partys Sunday night bingo. oh and 2 pool teams, dart and euchre most clubs would bite your arm off for this!!!! As for comittee members doing their bit take a look because they do ( even if some are limited). How about people who knock St Blazey focus on their own club and stop trying to throw s*** at Blazey one day it will get thrown back.

What the flip does any of that have to do with football?

Where do you think playing budgets come from at most clubs ? If the social side of a club dies, you would not have a football side to watch, unless you have a Heaney backing you.

The alternative is to limit your playing budget and officials expenses to the amount taken through the turnstiles and tea-bar as Newquay have decided to do - only really possible with good crowds though.

And good crowds are generally generated by good football on offer and where possible a good atmosphere in good company. Unfortunately none of the above appear to exist at St Blazey any longer and thats the reason for the title of this topic!

A friend of mine declined to renew his board sponsorship this season at St Blazey, and the person on the other end of the phone to him recieving the news proceeded to moan about how nobody sponsors the club any longer and that the walls were closing in as the club have nothing to offer.

Nothing like confirming to the previous sponsor that he had made the right decision hey!! Whatever next with certain individuals down there.

You obviously think money grows on trees........unbelievable :SM_carton:

If any money from all those various activities actually went towards helping the football, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question.

If any money from all those various activities actually went towards helping the football, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question.

So brains ,where do you think the money that pays the players actually comes from?

We have had 1 person saying from sponsors(some of whom have pulled out for whatever reasons),and no doubt some from the massive contribution the huge crowds make,but of course, most of it comes from the takings behind the bar,of which without the things stated earlier there would be none.

How could the football side manage without your £4 every other week gate money contribution i dread to think.

You asked

"What the flip does any of that have to do with football?"

You have been told what it meant,or to put it even simpler, without the social club things would be even worse.

And if you wish to go and support another team ,that is your priveledge,personally ive only supported 1 team all my life through thick and thin ,mainly thin and would not dream of supporting anyone else, but thats called loyalty i suppose.

well said tarquin

i am making the point without the social side where would get the money from, poor weather last year meant we didnt play at home for months so where did the income come from? when games were played gates were down compared to what they would have been on some key dates over the christmas.

And agree you follow your team through thick and thin and not run away when the going gets tough

You asked

"What the flip does any of that have to do with football?"

You have been told what it meant,or to put it even simpler, without the social club things would be even worse.

And if you wish to go and support another team ,that is your priveledge,personally ive only supported 1 team all my life through thick and thin ,mainly thin and would not dream of supporting anyone else, but thats called loyalty i suppose.

Luckily for the club, there still are a few fans (and I mean very few) who do not believe St Blazey FC is just a glorified social club and who believe St Blazey should be pushing forward towards the upper echelons of non-league football.

But the sad fact is that most of the people driven away over the past 18 months are people who believe St Blazey should be an ambitious club.

In order to be a supporter, you have to have something to support, and if the committee are either deliberately or willingly taking the club in the wrong direction, why would I support that?

I'm a football fan. I've followed St Blazey home and away all my adult life and I'll never have any "feeling" for any other club, but do I really see myself going from village to village, following a side not even eligible for the FA Cup? Only time will tell.

See you at Elburton.

I'm a football fan. I've followed St Blazey home and away all my adult life and I'll never have any "feeling" for any other club, but do I really see myself going from village to village, following a side not even eligible for the FA Cup? Only time will tell.

See you at Elburton.

Why not, ? if you support St Blazey, you would watch them in any Division, Duchy 5, Trelawny 4 etc... we have had the 'village' league for the last few years and mostly hated it, but you follow your club no matter what. Can't wait for Mousehole away on Saturday, one of our favourite little grounds, nice place, good people and 3 points.

See you at Elburton.

Why not, ? if you support St Blazey, you would watch them in any Division, Duchy 5, Trelawny 4 etc... we have had the 'village' league for the last few years and mostly hated it, but you follow your club no matter what. Can't wait for Mousehole away on Saturday, one of our favourite little grounds, nice place, good people and 3 points.

Spot on Nemesis - one of the most enjoyable days of my football supporting life was with St.Austell when in the West division and we won the Senior Cup. Being in that division isn't ideal but we averaged well over 100 per game, as Newquay will do this season, and had some great fun. Blazey supporters aren't used to tough times like some of us who have followed St.Austell, Newquay, Penzance, Wadebridge etc for years....the cycle of fortune may have turned away from them for a while but the true supporters will stick with them.

I think the bottom line here for Dan and the few remaining St Blazey supporters is their concern for what is being done to prevent the decline. There is an obvious huge divide between social club and football club followers at the club and the balance of power continues to sit on the social side.

It's not the first and won't be the last time this happens at a football club and it shows that even 'Cornwalls Premier Football Club' isn't immune to decline.

Im sure the pirates on a Monday night will change the fortunes and direction of the club!! Christ I'm not sure I can hear anything more ridiculous! And before I get told to get off my arse and do something about instead moaning, well I've tried that along with all the many others.

And it's not a case of your face not fitting at St Blazey, its more a case of the core people at the club not letting anyone new with any fresh ideas get Into the core of the club.

As long as theres football to watch ill be there. Our time will come again. When...... but it will. For now, its about sneaking the odd point or win from grounds where we look certain to loose. Theres always the underdog bit to enjoy.

When Argyle were in the championship they played some great football but i didnt manage to watch more than a couple away games a season.

Yet now were bottom of the football league and ive been to Shrewsbury, Barnet, Crawley, and in 3 weeks ill be off to Oxford with Torquay a couple weeks after that.

Ive been to 9 St Blazey games, 6 Argyle games this season. Only 2 wins for St Blazey. 7 defeats. Argyle, 1 draw, 5 defeats!!! Even ive got more points this season than ive seen Argyle earn. 3 points for speeding on route to Shrewsbury!! :blink:

Still enjoying the football. Argyle v Accrington on saturday.

Then St Blazey v Falmouth on the wednesday.

Pingu if you think Im that stupid to say the pirates would change the fortunes of the club then perhaps you are stupid in not getting what is being said!!! the point I am making is that the club are trying to attract different groups ect (how many other clubs and im sure you will tell me can say they have events on nearly every night of the week)which will then help benifit FOOTBALL club and can then start moving forward.

its no wonder people leave as they get fed up with the constant knocking of the club and individuals instead of trying to work together and move Blazey forward.

AND PAUL FAIR PLAY TO YOU TRUE SUPPORTER WHO WATCHES THROUGH THE GOOD AND BAD TIMES.

No one really has clue what they are talking about, and what makes me laugh the most is..... The people slagging blazey off are or have been involved some way or other in the club!!! If you are not on the committee then the can't talk cause know one has a clue, it's the old saying YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT GOES ON BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!!!!!

As a true supporter and member of this club i did a little more research into the club and whats going on during the day and night, as im not in there everyday to see. I went in last Monday about 11.45am and was suprised to see about 7-8 in the bar, and the function room was closed off so there was obviously some sort of function going on, I asked the bar person for a list of entertainment for the next few months. I was given a leaflet that had the function advertised, happy hours, fundraising events etc etc, I also asked if it was normally quite busy during the day like it was while i was there, I was told that between 10am and 3.30pm there is a usual crowd that will spend money and that it did go quiet for an hour or so then the tea-time crown would be in. I got the bar person to write down what was happening most evenings and was suprised to find out that there is something on every night! Monday- A group of pirates come in and use the function room from 7,.30-10pm for practice and a sing along, they all have at least a couple of pints each and normally there are between 16-20, there is also a pool team. Tuesdays-Bingo from 7pm, plus 3 snooker teams,plus the football training, Wednesdays- A line dancing group have joined the club with between 12-15 people, i know some years back they used to have a line dancing group but they moved so its nice to see a group backand to see that room being used!! Thursdays- Euchre night (2 teams) which consist of 6 players so thats guaranteed 12 players at one time, plus they have a bingo night every other Thursday, Friday-Darts which again was 6 in the team so yet again guaranteed 12 players at home, plus functions/parties. Saturdays- Functions/Parties and obviously the 1st and 2nd team football teams.. Sundays- Bingo night again plus they have a sunday football team which i will now go and watch/support now that i have all this information So why close the clubhouse??? People have got to realise that there are other pubs/clubs suffering/struggling just as much as anyone else, perhaps instead of slagging the club or people off,we should all stick together and do our best to keep all these things going!! The 1st team are a team put together and are doing their best to play at the best level possible. I know i will support St.Blazey through thick and thin, and when the going gets tough I will be there right behind them, not like you glory supporters.!!!!!!!!

Well said.

If people are fans/supporters of this great club, they should be at Blaise Park for home games and on the road for away games.

I've thought about this for months now and believe that staying away only exacerbates the situation.

Whatever people think/guess about what goes on behind the scenes, if St Blazey is your club, get behind the boys in green and black - they need you more than ever if they are to retain Premier Division status.

Lots going on Paul and that is obviously sustaining the St Blazey club.. But your missing the point,the club was built around the the football team.

If the club is doing well and the efforts put into the running of the social club matched the running of the football club then you will fine.

Is there a big divide between the Social club and the football club? Is it run by the same people?.. I dont know!! surley The club must make a profit or it wouldnt be open that profit should go to the football teams !!!

Money Man

I really dont no the answer to that. But its clear that the football side of things isnt high on the priorities list right now. Maybe thats down to the current financial times right now. Maybe saving every penny now will see us in the clear in better times.

Relegation though wont be a good thing for the club or the league. The league wont want to see one of the better grounds outside the top division.

Its not to late to turn it around yet mind.

The members and fans of the club must carry the blame as they elect the committee that tries to run everything.How many bother to attend AGM unless they are drummed up by family to achieve votes to get on board.

In my opinion the club needs to establish a sub-committee to run football or it will sink further.It doesn't need critics from outside, just sorting it out in house.It requires more than an occasional meeting, which invariably gets bogged down by miscellaneous trivia not connected with football.

Time to treat it all with some urgency.

I must emphasise these are my own views and I cannot speak for St Blazey FC

Having read the numerous posts to this topic with interest. Its seems that the football side is suffering mainly down to the current committee.

I have spoken with many Blazey fans and a couple last night at the game and one name keeps popping up.

This person is called Brokenshire... I dont know the guy, but he doesnt seem to be the most popular person at St Blazey Football club at this moment in time.

Is this right ???

I put the question to you, perhaps if there was enough bad responses you the football fans may force him out !!!!

You are on the wrong track there. He ( Brian Brokenshire) has done sterling work for the club for many years and being Treasurer carries a huge responsibility with it.Cannot criticise because he tries to use club resources sensibly.

The place is crying out for a new generation of keen football fans prepared to get stuck in.

The members and fans of the club must carry the blame as they elect the committee that tries to run everything.How many bother to attend AGM unless they are drummed up by family to achieve votes to get on board.

In my opinion the club needs to establish a sub-committee to run football or it will sink further.It doesn't need critics from outside, just sorting it out in house.It requires more than an occasional meeting, which invariably gets bogged down by miscellaneous trivia not connected with football.

Here here some sense finally being spoken !! :clapper:

This was attempted over the last 2 seasons with Hooper, Tonkin, Lafferty etc. Where did that end up....on the scrap heap. No good suggesting a shake up whilst the old guard refuse to do things differently, release a little grip, trust others, encourage a new type of supporter, sponsor, fan, youth structure and embrace the local community by doing all of the before mentioned.

WASTING your time talking about all these ideas as one direction, single minded individual/s currently at the club prefer to see it continue as it is.

People just dont get it do they. And before I get shot for not offering my services or applying for a position on the committee, been there, done it and smashed my head against the wall more times than I care to recall.

I wonder if any off the narrow minded individuals actually read this forum and take any advice from it.

I know from before I got involved at St Austell, the club was in one hell of a state but luckily people began to see a vision and started listening to others that had been involved with football and business. From this St Austell started to build.

You need a vision at St Blazey and you have to start listening to people who understand football and business.

St Blazey is not in the dire situation StAustell was 4 years ago but they soon will be unless the changes happen soon.

MM

Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt Brian Brokenshire treasurer when St.Blazey were right up there winning everything???? Oh but that was ok then because they were winning!! i dont think people realise what Brian Brokenshire actually does for the club and football!! Also isnt the reason "St.Austell AFC" or "AFC St.Austell" arent open all the time because of the bad reputation and all the trouble they had at the club for years?? Every club/pub has problems,quiet spells,bad football,good footbball but being a genuine loyal member or fan you would stick by them no matter what, try to attend every game home or away and attend events or just a pint in the club! I know for sure i will continue to use the club for football matches and for a social drink, aswell as pay my gate entrance fee!! Pingu, how often do you attend football matches or socialise in the club?? You seem to know an awful lot!!!

Bangtidy - the reason St.Austell's bar is only open on matchdays, for functions etc is because it makes economic sense. The more you open the more your costs increase and unless the takings are sufficient you actually lose all the money you make in a few hours on a matchday....ie when the club is usually packed with players (1st & 2nd team), supporters etc and it can be "staffed" voluntarily.

It also helps that, in my experience, there is now a real "club" atmosphere at St.Austell between all sections which helps keep the bar busy before and after matches.

Don't forget though that St.Austell was turned around with the clubhouse shut and generating no revenue. The club won the Senior Cup and just missed out on promotion with no clubhouse - being "based" at a local pub. This was achieved by hard work fundraising with a large, dedicated committee pulling together and a local team backed up by a tremendous 2nd team. The delapidated clubhouse was refurbished to a high standard virtually cost free thanks to numerous supporters, players and business people giving time, services and supplies free....thanks mainly to Money Mans "persuasive" powers!

The social club and the money it raises now helps a lot but it can be done in other ways.