Cornwall Football Forum

Relegation Battle?!

Would it be fair to suggest St Blazey find themselves battling for survival this season? Maybe thats precisely what certain committee members would like?? I guess they probably think they will be able to cut all expenses and reduce expectancy levels to compete in the Premier league.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a long time supporter of Blazey football team, can someone enlighten me about how the club intends to change its fortune. We all know money is tight and expenses have been cut over the last 12 months. Do the committee have a plan of action? Or do we have to wait for the social club to pick up? If it is the second then I fear for the future of "Cornwall's Premier Football Club". The clubs moto note mine!

St Blazey 0v2 Penzance.

A really poor game tonight. At no time did St Blazey get their passing game going and with their new striker going off injured early on the threat up front was gone. Pz were 2 up at half time and St Blazey tryed hard to get back in the game but just couldnt get that all important goal.

Where are all the supporters who were there when we were winning everything?? Only 80 there tonight. And as for the Pz support, they might have had 2 supporters there tonight!! That is shocking. Local football crowds are very poor. So you have to ask the question, is it worth throwing more money at the football side? St Austell we hear are pulling in major money, signing players, yet the results are nothing more than average and their crowds are little over the 100 mark in a period of time being described as the best for St Austell in many years.

There is no doubt that St Blazey are in a stage of rebuilding but that was bound to happen this season. The core support is still there and will be looking forward to the trip to Barnstaple in the F.A Vase on saturday. Could be the perfect place to sneak an away win.

No point giving up now, long way to go. This season is all about competing and pushing ourselves up the table. It wont be pretty.

Roll on Saturday!!!!

As we begin our slide towards village football (I have watched a lot of football in SWPL West and believe me it is NOT pretty), I have to say it's very unlikely that I - or most of the hardcore St Blazey support - will be travelling to the likes of Vospers, Mousehole, Foxhole, etc.

A rumour was going around a couple of seasons ago that certain members of the committee wanted to see us relegated to reduce travelling costs. What travelling costs??!! If we're that poor that we can't afford a couple of trips to East Devon each season, I would question whether we should still be in business anyway.

The constant poor decisions of the most backward-thinking committee imaginable are driving this club into the ground.

Those who know me know that I'll happily watch Duchy or Trelawney League football, but tonight was painful to watch at times, even compared to the junior leagues. I hold the committee responsible for this as they - in my view - have done very little to aid things on the pitch over the past few seasons.

A few seasons ago I was watching Holsworthy v St Blazey in SWPL Premier up in North Devon. We were three or four up against a 'Worthy side struggling at the bottom of the table when I overheard the Holsworthy chairman say to some of our fans "to be honest, I hope we do go down". I was mortified, as was a Holsworthy fan who also overheard his chairman. Imagine that! A football fan paying his money to support his team each week, while influential people wanted to see the club go in the wrong direction.

Is the same happening at St Blazey? I, for one, hope not. But I do question the motivations of some people behind the scenes, and as I stated at the top of this post, if the aim is indeed to drive the club into the ground, the loyal fans that remain - some of the most loyal at this level of football in the country - will not be around much longer. The club will have lost its most valuable asset.

I applaud our fantastic manager and any player who pulls on a green and black shirt and does his best. They are the reason I still support this club.

See you all at Barnstaple.

I applaud your optimism Paul and without diehard supporters like yourself, who knows what sort of numbers the attendance could drop to. Im a firm believer Paul that you get out what you put in if you set your goals and stick to them. But I cant see what St Blazey FOOTBALL Club goals are. This is highlighted by the move to sack a loyal manager, appoint an ambitious manager, enjoy progress on the field and the public eye, force the departure of the ambitious manager (so it seems), and then reappoint the previous loyal manager. Confusing to say the least.

As you say, the enemy up the road arent setting the world alight right now on the pitch but it has to be said they have and still are making giant strides off the pitch during the hardest time in local football and economy ever.

So its very difficult for any of us St Blazey FOOTBALL Club supporters to accept that the current committee 1) know what they want or how to get it 2) have any ambition 3) are acting in the best interests in the future of St Blazey FOOTBALL Club. Whilst I applaud your optimism Paul, I cannot share it as im convinced the future will get worse before it ever gets better, and before the likes of "Chairman" or "Tarquin Underblanket" respond with defence of their committees leadership qualities at St Blazey FOOTBALL Club, please spare me the tedious lines of "the club are being sensible" and "cost cutting exercises are happening all over the world right now".

At some point every business, establishment etc has to bottom out and start a steady climb back up. Even costcutting exercises can reach exhaustion and at that point another plan of attack has to be taken.

Good luck to you Paul but I like many other long term St Blazey FOOTBALL Club supporters prefer to stay away whilst we cannot accept all the right decisions and moves are being made to ensure top flight football continues at "Cornwall's Premier Football Club".

I understand exactly were your coming from but as for stayng away and not watching the football, what is that really achieving? This kind of subject is well talked about on the Argyle forum on PASOTI. I dont believe a club can be at the top for ever. It just dosnt happen. We had a decade of being the club everyone wanted to beat. The club set the standards on and off the field. We had some great crowds watching then but so many fans who came week in week out havnt been seen for quite a few seasons now. Even the Glynn Hooper facter didnt bring them back!!!

Ok were not doing so well right now, but if you cant support the team on the pitch when things arnt going so well, then when the good times come round you wont enjoy it that much cause to me you havnt seen the bad times and the changes to turn the team round. At the end of the day, whats £4. Get out, enjoy the fresh air and have a laugh and a yap with the people who are there week in, week out. Whats the other option, stop in and have the other half nagging you to decorate while shes watching the bloody soaps??? Wow!!!

To be honest, I dont no what the answer is, but ill continue to enjoy the football.

The season so far for me......

St Blazey, Watched 8, wins 2 draw 0, lost 6

Argyle, Watched 5, wins 0, draw 1, lost 4. and a speeding fine on route to Shrewsbury!!! :SM_carton:

Painfull but still looking forward to saturday. :thumbsup:

Not a good game I agree: but we (Penzance) had about 12 supporters there...just as well we turned up as when I arrived 15 minutes in they were counting up and the bloke on the gate said there were 60 in. All rather sad really...Blaze Park still feels good, especially at evening games when it has a good atmosphere but it felt empty tonight. I have to say that PZ were in control for most of the game...and we were not great!

Paul I'm sorry but I refuse to add to the confusion that currently is all to evident there. I and many others critisize the committee and therefore rather not add to the number of already confused people at the Club. Also I would be nothing but a hypocrit to continue endorsing what I deem unacceptable behaviour by a select and closed forum committee at the club. And having spoken to many, many other supporters, they will not show their support with their precence whilst these persons continue leading the club into a similar oblivion to which Bugle FC suffered a few decades ago.

So by staying away, what do you expect to happen?

Surly that will only let the rot continue and for the lack of support to aid the reason to not invest in the football team.

What ever happens behind the closed doors, we cant all do something about it. If you feel that strongly, go the A.G.M and air your views.

But the team, however good or not so good, are trying to win games for St Blazey F.C. Being there to add support isnt confusing anyone!!

Fiery Jack......thats the quietest 12 fans ive heard!!Hardly a cheer as the goals went in. Nice to see a few made the trip. But like you said, very quiet and a match between these two clubs shouldnt be under the 100 ever. Sad times.

Pz looked in control once they scored and St Blazey huffed and puffed without making to many chances. Not great to watch tonight.

This argument about people having to use the clubhouse is complete rubbish. Because I can tell you that 95% of the people who use the clubhouse never walk round the corner and pay £4 to watch any home games. And 99% of the people who use the club never watch st blazey away from home. FACT. In fact I don't remember anyone who uses the club at away game in years. Only the commitee and the women who work hard for the club are seen at away games. Do 75,000 Man Utd fans use their hospitality before each game? Of course not. The fact is, some off the most loyal fans spend alot of hard earned money on fuel to get to these games. That cost is forgotten on a few people it seems. Let's see how many decide to use the supporters coach for Saturdays trip to Barnstaple. Only £10. Book now.

Been waiting for you to arrive on this scene Tarquin and if you happen to be someone who's been at the FOOTBALL Club for any real length of time, you will know only too well that any FOOTBALL person/s who've attempted to join the FOOTBALL Club committee have either been refused or removed sharpishly. Football minded, driven, orientated persons are not what the officers of the FOOTBALL Club want around.

Please do not question this statement either as it is a statement of fact proven by many good person/s with only the best interest of St Blazey FOOTBALL Club in mind having departed in previous years.

Maybe as a lifelong supporter I could be tempted to apply as a committee member but not to become just another casualty of the dictatorial leadership that exists within the inner circle of officers at the Club. But thanks for the invite anyway.

Pingu you are talking absolute rubbish.The Club is crying out for football minded people to get on the Committee, which is elected by Members at AGM or appointed by Committee casually when a vacancy arises mid year.

The problem is that very few are capable or prepared to run the Club and Football as it requires an interest and commitment to both.

I'm sure the Chairman will resent your accusation about dictatorial leadership.

You have a golden chance to apply for the vacancy and voice your opinions in the correct place.

Chairman, just in case that was intended as a cheap shot from you at the current Chairman, my accusation as you call it is in no way aimed at Martin Richards as I think everyone who knows anything about St Blazey FOOTBALL Club knows who has and still does have full control at the Club.

Chairman, just in case that was intended as a cheap shot from you at the current Chairman, my accusation as you call it is in no way aimed at Martin Richards as I think everyone who knows anything about St Blazey FOOTBALL Club knows who has and still does have full control at the Club.

No cheap shot at Martin, you used the words dictatorial and the implied criticism of all Officers.

Well it does appear Chairman that all of the Officers do precisely what one Officer tells them. Perhaps thats why the Officers of the Club never appear to change, the only changes that ever happen are FOOTBALL persons on the committee depart either having been voted off or they cant bash their heads against the same walls any longer and decide to jump. Therefore new blood and fresh ideas are never a possibility.

Either way, the point was made by Tarquin Underblanket that supporters such as myself should apply to join the committee and im simply stating that it isnt quite as straight forward as that, as proven over and over again by previous applicants to the committee.

Having been involved with the club for more than 30 years and chairman for 19 of those, my experience has generally been that football motivated persons have left the running of the club to others and have been lucky to get decent football during the heady times without their involvement. Now there have to be constraints it is not so rosy and easy for anyone and the situation requires a coming together of all fractions.

The going will be hard and newcomers to Committee will find it frustrating to say the least. But it only requires several like-minded people to stick together to change everything.

No-one has said it's easy, but it will be worth it in the end.

Pingu, im sorry to say that you missed CAPITALS on the word football once,and as for you maybe being tempted to join the committee i would happily 2nd you as, being a football fan(sorry i know what football is,so dont feel the need to highlight it) myself, we members would welcome any new views that would help all sides of the club.

And it's precisely this kind of debate that leads to attendance figures like 61!

People don't want petty politics and shit stirring in their leisure time, they want to go out and watch an enjoyable game of footie with their mates, and be entertained.

Here's a fact that must worry anybody with the football club at heart. A decade ago, the "behind the goal" crew consisted of 40-50 fans, every game - well over 100 for big games. Last night: FOUR. It wasn't even worth a sing-song.

If Fiery Jack is to be believed, and there were 12 from Penzance, this leaves 49. Take away perhaps 10 neutrals and interested locals and you are left with 39 people supporting St Blazey.

I believe this club is much closer to its death than people think and unless somebody gets hold of it and starts sending it in the right direction, the end is inevitable.

Dan attendances in general are dropping all over Cornwall, but 49 as you say and I believe 3 in the bar is a poor turnout for a midweek game at Blaize park. Do you think the lack of local players in the team adds to the problem of falling attendances.

Should of bent over backwards to keep last seasons managment team together. Still dont fully understand why the committee let them leave so easily, does anyone at St Blazey social club oops football club no why they were not kept on.

Money Man

Not the old argument about shutting the club. Theres so much going on at the club other than football. I would say saturday afternoon isn't that busy in the club. I've yet to go any club and see a packed clubhouse on a matchday.

Things will turn around. Bobby oaten will do a very good job for st blazey. He will be given time to get the club back on track.

Could be worse, could be truro and threatened with a winding up order.

Tarquin I never thought I'd see the day we agree on something! Surely the option of opening evenings and weekends only have to be considered. If the club has other sports to support such as snooker, pool, darts etc then why is it necessary to open early till late exactly? Trying to keep the odd few morning and daytime drinkers content could be more costly than it's worth.

Take a look at exactly how many clubs have taken that course in recent years. I know they all don't probably occupy an area with the same amount of chimney pots, but I personally don't see how opening 7 days and nights is viable.

The various sports and games can continue in the evening still without having relying on them to make up the shortfall of all day opening and the relative operating/ wages costs.

With regard to the social club think the format that Saltash use is a great money spinner. Not open 7 days a week , but allow functions/parties to be held there, big screen football/rugby, race nights, comedians/singers performing (although they do pay for acts to perform), Christmas/NYE parties. All of which allow them to rake it in over the bar, and has become a real community social club, and is busy most friday nights with locals, and with football lads and locals on a saturday.

Pingu, you are presuming of course that the daytime part of opening does not make a profit,maybe it does maybe it doesn't i don't know,but im sure these options have and will continue to be looked into. As for using my brain ,to be praised by that pillar of society money man,i realise i have peeked.

Quality!

Well Tarquin/Paul I have previously been privvy to recent sets of trading accounts for the Club via a friend of a friend so providing the accounts are not fudged, along with the fact that most often during the day there are only a couple of souls sat at the bar, I'd say I am in a pretty good position to suggest all day opening may not be viable.

...People don't want petty politics and shit stirring in their leisure time...

Of course people want petty politics and shit stirring in their leisure time, otherwise we wouldn't see these topics week in week out...!

Back to the original point, I don't know what is happening behind the scenes, all I can comment on is what I've seen on the pitch, which is that St Blazey have a good crop of very young players that clearly need a bit more time and experience before they prove their worth. Unfortunately we're up and down like a yo-yo at the moment; in 50% of the games so far this season the result doesn't reflect the performance (take Buckland on Saturday for example), and the other 50% proceed like that Penzance dross last night. I don't think Blazey have too much to worry about (on the pitch) though for this season; continue putting in performances like they did against Buckland and they'll avoid a relegation battle.

St Blazey will be just fine come the end of the season. Plenty of work to be done, but things being put in place and hopefully a future to enjoy once more.

Come on the people of St Blazey, get out and support your local side.

Lets see a good following on saturday to cheer the lads on. :c:

Paul I hope and pray St Blazey will survive relegation but please wake up and realise once and for all that the people of St Blazey know too much about the behind the scenes to want to give up their time, let alone their money to follow their local club.

The clubs in bad hands behind the scenes no matter who is managing or playing out their on the pitch. I admire your faith but have to question the lack of realism I'm afraid.

St Blazey FC please take note and save your club.

This will only work if the committee understand completley that you are a Football club.

1 Shut the social club (only open on matchdays or for booked functions) (Pool teams snooker teams etc sorry)

2 Paid staff will have to go, this will obviously happen when you shut the social club.

3 Groundsman on a reported £150 per week.. NOT required ( Committee members cut and mark pitches for love of the club)

4 Local Manager required

5 Local Players Requierd

6 For the love of god Brokenshire has got to be relinquished of his duties!!!

Probably some more but will think of some during the day.

Come on St Blazey FC if St Austell can do it then you can do it.!!!!

Good luck

Paul I hope and pray St Blazey will survive relegation but please wake up and realise once and for all that the people of St Blazey know too much about the behind the scenes to want to give up their time, let alone their money to follow their local club.

The clubs in bad hands behind the scenes no matter who is managing or playing out their on the pitch. I admire your faith but have to question the lack of realism I'm afraid.

Pingu !!!! :clapper::drink::clapper::drink::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Load of saddo's Paul's right you haven't got a clue just a load of bitter, jealous and sick people,

The success is there for all to see lets see if St Awful can win 7 championships in 10 years I don't think so with St Blazey rejects on the Committee

There's no point opening on the odd few nights. No other pub would do that. Again, there's alot more use made of the clubhouse then a few on here think.

Why are people so keen to see the money side loosened up?

Makes me wonder if others want their sticky fingers in the safe!!!

Load of saddo's Paul's right you haven't got a clue just a load of bitter, jealous and sick people,

The success is there for all to see lets see if St Awful can win 7 championships in 10 years I don't think so with St Blazey rejects on the Committee

lmfao :clapper: :clapper:

lmfao :clapper: :clapper:

People know who I am so why not reveal yourself hornet ??

Paul I'm sorry but I refuse to add to the confusion that currently is all to evident there. I and many others critisize the committee and therefore rather not add to the number of already confused people at the Club. Also I would be nothing but a hypocrit to continue endorsing what I deem unacceptable behaviour by a select and closed forum committee at the club. And having spoken to many, many other supporters, they will not show their support with their precence whilst these persons continue leading the club into a similar oblivion to which Bugle FC suffered a few decades ago.

Sounds like a glory supporter to me.

Whatever happend to sticking with your club through thick and thin? SO it is all the committees fault yet you stay away which means less money for the club which means less money for the club to spend.

The way forward for a lot of sports clubs bars is most probably not opening on weekday daytimes.Saturday and Sunday daytime opening are the most viable days,based around the sport side of things on Saturdays and the good old fashione Sunday lunchtime pint with mates.

The premises could be let out during weekdays for local organisations that may wish to use the facilities without the need for the bar to be open.Examples...Playgroups,Weight Watchers,Darby n Joan,in fact anyone who could use the space on offer.

A meat draw/raffle on a Sunday generates many customers in some places that I frequent.

This posting is not obviously a 'cure all' but in these difficult economic times we all need to think 'outside the box' a bit more than we ever had to.I suspect that the St Blazey football Social club is run as it is because 'it has always been run this way',nothing wrong with that as long as it's financially viable.

NDD you simply do not know enough about St Blazey FC past or present so although this forum is a place to post personal opinion, it does help to know a a few facts about the topic first.

Stick with your club through thick and thin hey? Well I ask you this, would you stick with your Bank if they lost all your savings? Would you stick with your partner if she slept with your

brother? Would you stick with your dog if it savaged a child? No I expect not. My point being, if you were let down by the people who run your football club and couldn't trust them like the local residents, supporters and sponsors over the years, then you would understand why St Blazey FC is struggling for support, sponsorship and volunteers.

Lucky 13, spot on. Well said and very realistic thinking.

NDD you simply do not know enough about St Blazey FC past or present so although this forum is a place to post personal opinion, it does help to know a a few facts about the topic first.

Stick with your club through thick and thin hey? Well I ask you this, would you stick with your Bank if they lost all your savings? Would you stick with your partner if she slept with your

brother? Would you stick with your dog if it savaged a child? No I expect not. My point being, if you were let down by the people who run your football club and couldn't trust them like the local residents, supporters and sponsors over the years, then you would understand why St Blazey FC is struggling for support, sponsorship and volunteers.

Lucky 13, spot on. Well said and very realistic thinking.

Your examples are non-sensicle as I don't think any of the things you have listed can be compared to supporting a football club.

I may not know about St Blazey but I know from first hand experience as a current committee member at my own football club what it entails to run a club and how so called supporters like to hide behind a pseudonym to air their grievances instead of growing a set and challenging the people face to face who they think are ruining their club even though these people who are ruining it are the ones keeping it going. Instead of moaning try offering a little time to help out but then again a lot of people like to moan but not a lot like to come forward to help. :SM_carton: